Start by marking “Without Hesitation: The Odyssey of an American Warrior” as Want to Read:
Without Hesitation: The Odyssey of an American Warrior

Without Hesitation: The Odyssey of an American Warrior

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Duringa nearly forty-year career in the United States Army, Hugh Shelton has been known as a straight shooter—when he speaks he means what he says. Whether serving under a Democratic president or a Republican president, whether in a war that was popular at home or not, Hugh Shelton gave all he had, and asked nothing less of the men and women who worked for him. Politically ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 12th 2010 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Without Hesitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Hesitation

William Breakstone
BOOK REVIEW

WITHOUT HESTITATION
By General (RET.) Hugh Shelton

Reviewed by Bill Breakstone, November 20, 2010

One bright, beautiful spring day in 1991, I left my office in Manhattan and took the subway three stops downtown to Chambers Street to view the homecoming parade of our troops returning from Desert Storm. Out in front of one of the brigades of the 101st Airborne Division was a tall, gangly, bespectacled Brig. General leading his troops past the reviewing stand. He was so tall he stood out li
Laurence Lewin
Dec 28, 2012 Laurence Lewin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must start off by saying that I met Hugh Shelton and his wife, Carolyn, and they are two of the nicest people I have ever met. As one who has always had respect for the military and a great interest in military history, while at the same time being an unabashed liberal, though not a pacifist, and a critic of American involvement in Viet Nam and Iraq, I found this book to be thoroughly absorbing in its description of how a country boy from North Carolina went from an aspiring aviation engineer ...more
Chris
Mar 14, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An amazing and standup guy. Reads like MOH recipient Wesley Fox's book in that the chapters are by rank/grade with leadership lessons. However, a very different book considering the length and breadth of General Shelton's experiences and the chapters have some great subtitles too. He also interjects into the beginning of every chapter a small segment about the life changing event-his accident in 2002 that would have left most people paralyzed.

Initially I thought this book would be too preachy a
Kevin O'Brien
Mar 23, 2012 Kevin O'Brien rated it really liked it
Shelves: history

This was a departure for me. I got interested while listening to talk by Ruth Suehle at Ohio LinuxFest in 2011. Gen. Shelton had become Chairman of the Red Hat board (Ruth works for Red Hat), and so she took a look. She said it was not the sort of thing she would normally read, but that it surprised her. I decided that was enough of a recommendation, pulled out my phone, and bought it from Google Books as an eBook.

I must confess this was my first military autobiography. I had read Steven Ambrose

James Cape
Antimidas
Jan 01, 2011 Antimidas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book focuses on General Shelton's early life and rise through the ranks of the military to the position of Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff. In it, he details military missions with which he was involved, what went wrong, and what worked.

The second half of this book is definitely a no-holds-barred commentary on military operations through the Clinton / G. W. Bush administrations. General Shelton is not afraid to tell it like it is offering praise when it is deserved and a fu
Astin
Mar 15, 2012 Astin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm about 1/3 through this book, and it looks like I might not finish it given the direction my life is taking - too much else to do/focus on. However, I can definitely comment on what I have read.
Overall, this is an autobiography of a man who represents the best of our armed forces. General Shelton's generation of warriors experienced a kind of warfare that will never exist again. There are a lot of Vietnam memoirs and books out there - but the first part of this book is an exceptional first-ha
Gregory Lamb
Feb 14, 2011 Gregory Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually did not finish reading this book. Not because it wasn't good either. My problem with this type of material is that it is entirely too detailed on topics that I am pretty familiar with. If Gen Shelton's experiences as a Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lt Col, or Colonel were that much different than mine, I would have locked on and endured sore fore arms and read the whole thing. Bottom line is the book is too damn thick. I didn't even get to the good stuff when he had more than two stars ...more
Ralph Roe
An interesting character, but too self-congratulatory throughout the book which casts doubt on his achievements.

Vietnam through Haiti and Afghanistan. None of the Presidents show well, he is fair and equal in critiquing them all.

Useful for insight into military structure and point of view. An average read.
Lenny
Oct 02, 2014 Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent autobiography of quite an interesting life. Having never previously knowing anything about Hugh Shelton, I now know everything about his life.
Roland
Jun 22, 2015 Roland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Bio on the former Chairman, Joint Chief s of Staff. His memories are precise and memorable. Great boo about Defense.
Greg Snyder
May 06, 2013 Greg Snyder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey was leaving for the Army so what do I read. A book that was damned good about the man that became the Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff during the Clinton administration. You follow his career through Viet Nam, the Middle East, The Balkans and the first Persian Gulf War. You do not rise to his rank without being a very intelligent individual and he was. Wasn't sure how I would like the book when I started it and hated being done with it.
J. Ewbank
Aug 15, 2013 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book to read. It is an autobogrphy, but at least it is an interesting one. A key part for me was his dealings with two Presients and their Secretary's of Defense. Obviously an outstanding man and General, this book is well worth the time it takes to read it and get by the necessary abreviations.l

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natual Man, and the Isms" and "Wesley's Wars"
John Hibbs
Apr 09, 2011 John Hibbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book from a good man. He is a pretty frank individual and it was amusing to hear his low opinion of Rumsfeld. Surprising to most of my military compatriots, he had a high degree of respect for Clinton, who comes across as a very humane individual. This volume is pretty much proforma for modern military biographies. If you are in between reads, you could do much worse.
Christopher
Honest account well worth the read. Lacks any serious discussion of mistakes but general officers tend to have perfect records - without such a record, becoming a general is near impossible. Presents several lessons, most important is knowing when to fall on one's sword over an issue. Also presents several good examples of the policy/strategy nexus.
Christopher Oakley
This was an excellent book. Especially considering I got it at the dollar store for a buck. Shelton lead a pretty amazing life and it was a pleasure to read about such an accomplished and important figure. The whole book was a kind of inspiration.
Maxo Marc
Aug 05, 2015 Maxo Marc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it because he earned his position through hard work. The memoir gives one the feeling that Gen. Hugh Shelton is a good and decent man. Also, the style of writing was straightforward and crisp; you'll love it.
Alisa
Apr 18, 2011 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I usually don't read memoirs or biographies, but this man is an intelligent gentleman who is able to accomplish so much in his life he should be very proud. They don't make them like that anymore!
Rich
Oct 11, 2013 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to know and associate with this great man when I was a young Captain. He made numerous contributions to the Army but perhaps the greatest was the design of Goretex lined waterproof boots!
TJ Norris
Sep 27, 2011 TJ Norris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fascinating autobiography. General Shelton comes across as a great leader and gives some interesting views into the inner workings of the military and the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
John
Jun 06, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A moral compass always pointed in the right direction. Historical and informative with a personal touch of being decisive with a base of humility.
Joni
Jan 04, 2011 Joni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a read...I strongly suggest this book. Yes it is so thick you could use it for a door stop, but it was a page turner for me! :)
Patrick
General Shelton was a great leader of men and his determination to walk out of Walter Reed is astonishing.
Michael Barr
Feb 21, 2011 Michael Barr rated it it was amazing
Awesome audiobook. Great read for military members or history/war buffs anywhere.
Ellie Revert
Apr 05, 2011 Ellie Revert rated it did not like it
Rev does not recommend this book--too pedantic. Okay, I've gots lots more books to read!
Bryan Bridges
Jan 27, 2012 Bryan Bridges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Anyone who wants/has the honor of wearing the gold bar should read this book.
Michael Barr
Feb 21, 2011 Michael Barr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome biography
Barry J. Mann
Barry J. Mann rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Shawnee Hively
Shawnee Hively rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • Moshe Dayan: Story of My Life
  • The Guerrilla Factory: The Making Of Special Forces Officers, The Green Berets
  • The Hunt for Bin Laden
  • Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam
  • Knife Fights: A Memoir of Modern War in Theory and Practice
  • Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence
  • War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashjmir and Tibet (Revised & Updated)
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
  • Revolusi di Nusa Damai
  • My Share of the Task: A Memoir
  • Across The Fence: The Secret War In Vietnam
  • The Complete 101 Collection
  • Once Upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett--Young War Correspondents and Their  Early Vietnam Battles
  • Hannibal (Military Library)
  • Supreme Command: Soldiers, Statesmen, and Leadership in Wartime