Start by marking “Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships” as Want to Read:
Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships

Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  19 reviews
These bestselling doctors walk you through their ten proven stages to recovery from codependency that results from external circustances. Humans are susceptible to codependency because of our sinful tendency to use defense mechanisms to fool ourselves. In codependent relationships, deceitful games are played, and important Christian principles are often taken out of contex...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is a Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is a Choice

Karen
I wanted to learn a little more about codependency and this was a very informative book with some cool insights.

The title is a bit sensationalistic....to try to get people with issue to pick it up perhaps? I don't know. But I feel like it was inappropriately titled. Because really, it's more about getting healthy IN relationships.

Of course not everyone is codependent, but I think everyone can find tidbits of insight learning about any topic, that can help in life. I'd recommend it to anyone an...more
Maria Phillips
I picked up this book at a used book sale hoping it would provide some new insights into my codependent family background. I somehow missed the fact that it was going to point everything back to the authors' religious beliefs. There was a lot of great information in the first half or so of the book, but the closer I got to the end of it, the more they harped on using Christian beliefs as a tool in the recovery process. For those who are Christians, I'm sure this is a very helpful approach... but...more
Kyna
Hands down the best book on the subject of co-dependency there is. Nearly every client I have reads this book and winds up agreeing with me. Even ministers I recommend it to say it's the best book they've read since the Bible.
Erica
Why do your relationships struggle? Why do you develop unhealthy dependencies of any kind--too much cleaning, working, exercising...these can all be outlets for unhealthy emotions that need to be addressed. I've read dozens, if not hundreds, of self-help books and this is the definitive book. This will get you moving forward with life.
Keith
Great book, but kept putting Christianity in my face over and over. The premise is simple: if you weren't loved enough at a young age, you might be miserable now. And as we all know: misery loves company.

Had this title been more about that and less about Jebus, I probably would have given it four stars.
Amber Foster
Terrific book on how to and how to not be codependent.
eliza
a little too much talk of "if (some bible figure) was able to fix his problems, so can you!" That being said, this book was still extremely helpful.
This book delves deep into the destructiveness caused by generational codependency. It helped me understand myself better, and learn how to establish healthier boundaries in my relationships with others. This book takes an approach to dealing with codependency from a Godly standpoint. Very, very good read!! For anyone that is struggling in their life!
Bridgett
Helpful in explaining what codependency is and how to start taking steps in overcoming it, though I got confused sometime about what codependency leaves off and other addictions/relationship problems begin. The definition seems very broad. Even though I believe in God the Christian tone of the book also made me a little uncomfortable.
A.K. Klemm
My copy has a completely different sub-title, but I'm pretty sure it's the same book. The review (and actual cover of the copy I read) can be found here:
D
Definitely worth a read
Jamie
Pretty good book. Kind of a self help book for those who are codependents. Picked up some good stuff, but it is not a read-it-now kind of book. Short and easy to read though.
Rosalie
I'm not finished yet, but this book has some good points. I think maybe they carry the idea of codependency to extremes, but it is defenitely a book that I'm glad I read.
Taryn
Great book on co-dependency. Anyone struggling with it should read this book. Glad my friend recommended it!
Kay Cee
Why codependency exist. Insights to work out why and how we make our love choices.
Scott
An excellent book for anyone going through a bad codependent divorce or relationship.
Chris
Life-changing! Good start in recovering from codependent relationships
Tamara
A book I re-read every couple of years for good reason!
Jennifer Connolly
Rendered speechless.
Monique Robertson
Monique Robertson marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Kristen Davis
Kristen Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Andria
Andria marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jeena
Jeena marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • The Cry of the Soul: Now Our Emotions Reveal Our Deepset Questions about God
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • Codependent No More & Beyond Codependency
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • Men Are Like Waffles--Women Are Like Spaghetti
  • Aging with Grace: What the Nun Study Teaches Us About Leading Longer, Healthier, and More Meaningful Lives
  • The Conscious Bride: Women Unveil Their True Feelings about Getting Hitched
  • Lord, I Want to Be Whole: The Power of Prayer and Scripture in Emotional Healing
  • When the Past Is Present: Healing the Emotional Wounds that Sabotage our Relationships
  • Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You
  • Fathered by God: Learning What Your Dad Could Never Teach You
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Cinematherapy: The Girl's Guide to Movies for Every Mood
Love Is a Choice Workbook Serenity-NKJV: A Companion for Twelve Step Recovery Serenity: A Companion For Twelve Step Recovery Kids Who Carry Our Pain: Breaking the Cycle of Codependency for the Next Generation We Are Driven: The Compulsive Behaviors America Applauds