Start by marking “Going Down (Holding Out for A Hero, #1)” as Want to Read:
Going Down (Holding Out for A Hero, #1)

Going Down (Holding Out for A Hero #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,393 ratings  ·  96 reviews
One man wants her heart. The other wants her dead...

Holding Out for a Hero, Book 1

Eleanor Owen needs to get out of Chicago and quick. It's not that she doesn't want to obey the subpoena to testify against her drug-trafficking ex-boyfriend. It's making it to the witness stand alive, should a dirty cop make good on his threats.

Tiny, remote Wyattville, Oregon, looks like the
Published July 20th 2010 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (first published July 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Going Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Down

Open Season by Linda HowardMr. Perfect by Linda HowardTalk Me Down by Victoria DahlLove in a Small Town by Zoe YorkWhispering Rock by Robyn Carr
Best Small Town Cop/Sheriff Romance Novels
27th out of 128 books — 253 voters
Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot Like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareThe Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
I Love A Man In Uniform
495th out of 1,062 books — 1,113 voters

More lists with this book...

Auntee
Jan 20, 2011 Auntee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic romance featuring a woman on the run
This was a pretty hot, easy-to-read short story that I read in a couple of hours...shhh!...while bored at work.:)

Going Down is the first book in the Holding Out For A Hero series about the three Wyatt brothers from tiny Wyattville, Oregon. This story is about the middle brother, 30-ish, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, incredibly tall, flirty, dirty-talker local Sheriff Tyson Wyatt.

Eleanor Owens is a petite, black haired, hazel-eyed 26 year old yoga teacher from Chicago. She's on the run after being se
Lady Heather
THIS BOOK WAS EROTIC & HOT !!

The male lead (Taylor) is the local Sheriff
Photobucket

and the lead female is a Yoga instructor

Photobucket

on the run from testifying against her ex-boyfriend being charged with drug trafficking...oh ya, a crooked cop has threatened her life.

I really liked the story, and was able to read it in an afternoon. I didn't feel 'rushed' or 'jipped' with the stories content, characters, or with the ending.

What a nice find!
Going to start the second book... like NOW!
Lyndi
I had actually read this before, but decided to kill some time by reading it again. Then realized I hadn't added it to GR.

The story is what you'd come to expect from Shelli Stevens. Not too deep, super steamy, mild drama. And it works most of the time, so keep on keepin' on, girl.

The issue I have with this particular story is Ellie running away from testifying in court. If the bad guy goes free because she can't man up and be an adult, that's... not good? That's not a character I can sympathize
Pam
3 stars
"Sugar orgasm?"
"Definetly, sweet and moist. But not quite as decadent as that taste of your pussy I ducked off my finger last night."

Short STEAMY fast easy read, big town girl hiding out in a small town, Ellie managed to catch the eye of Tyson, the town sheriff. Pretty much didn't deviate from the description.
Erika
Overall rating: 4.5 stars for a novella

Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Anything sexual with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Amount of Sex In The Book: (view spoiler)
Overall Steam Factor/Chemistry (between 1-10): (view spoiler)
Themes that may be triggers for some: (view spoiler)
HEA/HFN: (view spoiler)

My r
Judi
I always like the premise when someone, whether it’s the H/h is trying to hide their true identity for whatever reason. In Going Down Ellie/Eleanor Owens is afraid for her life, doesn’t know who she can trust and she certainly doesn’t trust the law. You know it’s only a matter of time before the truth comes out and it’s always great to see how the story plays out.

Yoga instructor Ellie is a grand jury witness supposed to testify against her ex-boyfriend for his drug trafficking crimes. She's down
Ann
Mar 25, 2011 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance fans
Recommended to Ann by: Goodreads
The series title "Holding Out for a Hero" mislead me a bit (my bad). It was recommended in the military/special ops,government, alpha male romantic suspense venue, or in this case of the Wyatt brothers: sheriff, military, firefighter, a type of romantic suspense. This is a romance novel plain and simple. Although I'm not a big fan of pure romance novels as I think there're too light and often times lame with laugh out loud eye rolling ridiculous sex scenes (come on...who talks like that? Alpha m ...more
Angela
Aug 07, 2014 Angela marked it as 1-click
7 August 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Malinda
3.5-4 stars

This was a pretty good story. I liked Ellie and Tyson and the story was very good for it's length as long as your ok with an insta-love story. This is the first story I've read by this author and I liked it well enough that I'm likely to read more of her work in the future.

Ellie is a yoga instructor from Chicago. She used to date a guy that ended up being a drug dealer. He was also abusive and made it clear she's face reprisals if she left him so when he went to jail she was happy. El
AղցҽӀɑ W.
This book cover is hot. Eleanor Owens is afraid for her life, doesn't know who she can trust and she certainly doesn't trust the police. Ellie is a grand jury witness supposed to testify against her ex-boyfriend for his drug trafficking crimes. She's ok with the plan until she gets threatened by a Chicago police officer so she heads to Wyattville Oregon. It's a great plan until meets sheriff Travis Wyatt. When Eleanor sees the cop car pull in the driveway of her house she cannot believe they hav ...more
Nadia
4 "Hot Wyatt Brother" Stars

I still don't remember how I found this book, but the truth is I don't care, the point is It's great!.

Ellie is a yoga instructor from Chicago who needs to skip town, avoiding to testify in court against his ex, who's been charged with drug trafficking. So she ends in the picturesque town of Wyattsville, Oregon, where she meets the hot sheriff in town, Tyson Wyatt. So the first encounter is pretty much him running after her, since she has some issues with men in uniform
Robin *loves sexy books*
Short and sweet. I really liked the characters. For a short book, it sucked me in! Looking forward to the next one.
Kathy
I normally do not like the typical contemporary romance books, and that is what this basically is. But this one was cute and I liked Tyson and Ellie, as well as the secondary characters. My only issue was the ending where Ellie seems to all of a sudden be ok with dealing with all that she was running from to begin with. I was left thinking, why didn't you just do that from the get go if it is all so easy now? I understand that Tyson must make her feel safe and she trusts him, even though that po ...more
Lori
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this book. I liked Tyson, his afmily, and the small town feel of the book. I had a moment's pause early on where it felt as though Tyson was using his position as sheriff to impose sex on Ellie, but I did'nt see it again and that particular scene didn't play out that way either.

My biggest complaint with the book was that they became engaged after about 2 weeks. It was awfully fast (although my own parents became engaged after 1 week, so I don't understand my issue with this,
Blackravens Reviews
Lena’s Review:

Is there any place she can hide from men?

This is something that Ellie Owens needs, a place to hide. She thought she found love with James but he was just a dirty guy with bad a trick. Now because of him she’s on the run and doesn’t need a man in her life right now. Especially a man of the law and Tyson Wyatt is definitely one sex-on-a stick sheriff making her libido skyrocket.

Shelli Stevens sure knows how to create one gorgeous, virile and all protective guy in Sheriff Wyatt. This
Judith
4.25 out of 5. Fear is one of those emotions that can really wreck havoc with the human body, mind, and spirit. When it becomes a routine "place" in one's life, it effects changes that are truly mind boggling. The heroine in this tale is running for her life from abuse in her one-on-one relationship as well as from a federal supoena as a critical witness against the same man. Add in the fact that the local sheriff--someone else in law enforcement--becomes attracted to her almost as soon as she g ...more
Djg
A cute enjoyable story with a sexy hero who likes to talk dirty :)

Ellie is running from testifying for her drug trafficking ex boyfriend. She lands in a small sea-side town in Oregon and catches the eye of sexy sheriff Tyson. They hook put pretty much immediately. He introduces her to his brothers (future books in the series) and his parents before figuring out Ellie's secret.

The sex was smoking and though predictable the plot was interesting and moved fast.
Alisha
The relationship between Ellie and Tyson moves fast. They meet and then a couple of hours later he is at her house eating and making out with her. On day two she is at his parents house for the family barbeque. Then he can't understand why she does not trust him enough to tell him the truth. It takes more than two days to know if you can trust someone with your life.
Kim
I liked this. It's short. Novella length, pretty much, I think. It's pretty dirty, in a vanilla way. Nothing unexpected really happens with the suspense part of it. The insta-lust did bother me. It was insta-lust that turned to insta-love in, basically, a week. Tyson, the hero, was fingering Ellie, the heroine, the second time he met her. I guess that's okay for some people. Anyway, it was enjoyable, if nothing special.
CD
This was an OK read, but I didn't feel the suspense which felt more like a subplot. I think Ms. Stevens did better in her "Savage" series. Part of it may have been that it was only 105 pages which didn't provide enough opportunity to give more detail and build the danger up.
Jessica
Major instalove in this one. It's a very short book and the h and H fall in love in less than a week. Just very cheesy and not at all believable and extremely rushed.
Reba Dom
Enjoyed this one. Thought the story line was a bit unbelievable but it wasn't too bad. Good pace of drama and love mixed together.
T.J. Michaels
If you've read and enjoyed Lauren Dane's 'Chase Brothers' series, then you will probably like this book as well. It's got small town charm with big family dynamics (I love big families) so you get to see how the hero and heroine interact with more than just each other. There's also some suspense written in such a way that you can't predict if or when the bad guy is going to show up and where.

I totally enjoyed this book as a quick read, but would have absolutely LOVED it a bit more drawn out to g
Emily
Subpoened to testify againist her ex-boyfriend and bieng threatened by a dirty cop was enough to have Eleanor Owen running clear across the country to Wyattsville, Oregon in hiding. Eleanor just wants to keep her head down and to herself, when the town sheriff arrives at her doorstep she is ready to bolt again.

Tyson Wyatt knows Eleanor is hiding something, every instinct tells him to investigate as well as charm the socks off of her and make her his.

Thought this was a fun read, the first in the
Maija
Jan 03, 2015 Maija rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
It's an interesting and fast-paced book, quite light read.
The whole idea was interesting and it seemed quite plausible to happen in the real life.
The romance in this book was.......strange, because the couple Tyson and Ellie both were forward about their relationships. And, yes, of course, they fell in love in the end and Ellie moved to live with Tyson, and planed a wedding.
I don't believe that one could fall in love in about a week(?). Just too unreal to be possible. Even when Ellie has a probl
Lynn
cute short read-just what i was looking for
Kimberly Maupin taylor
This story was good. Some parts u knew what would happen before it happened. Still a good read, enjoyed it a lot.
gert
perhaps if the story had been drawn out a bit, I would have been more impressed. the storyline REQUIRED a longer timeline, but instead, boom! it all happens over three days. which would be fine for those insta love stories, but this one includes the heroine on the run from crooked cops, yet she immediately tells all to her brand new lover after only hiding out for less then a week? LAME.

read it if you get it for free. or if your curious to see how a short book can negate everything you've ever
Kristi Simonsen
Loved every bit of this book!
  • Heat It Up (Out of Uniform, #4)
  • A Fine Specimen
  • Kiss Me, Kate (The Madison Stories, #1)
  • Jimmy (Red, Hot & Blue, #3)
  • Razor's Edge (Men in Blue, #2)
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • Male Call  (Hot Zone #1)
  • Sweet Caroline (Blue Jeans and Hard Hats #1)
  • Rude Awakening
  • Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off (Country Music Collection, #1)
  • Copping To It
  • Red Heat (Men In Uniform, #1)
  • Double Down (Vegas Top Guns, #1)
  • Hot in Here
Shelli is a New York Times Bestselling Author who read her first romance novel when she snatched it off her mother's bookshelf at the age of eleven. One taste and she was forever hooked. It wasn't until many years later that she decided to pursue writing stories of her own. By then she acknowledged the voices in her head didn't make her crazy, they made her a writer.

Shelli currently lives in the P
More about Shelli Stevens...

Holding Out for A Hero (4 books)
  • Command and Control (Holding out for a Hero, #2)
  • Flash Point  (Holding Out For a Hero, #3)
  • Love Me Knot (Holding Out For a Hero, #4)
Dangerous Grounds (Seattle Steam, #1) Good Girl Gone Plaid (The McLaughlins, #1) Flash Point  (Holding Out For a Hero, #3) Negligee Behavior Command and Control (Holding out for a Hero, #2)