Mr. Britling Sees It Through

Mr. Britling Sees It Through (The Works of H.G. Wells #22)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It was the sixth day of Mr. Direck's first visit to England, & he was at his acutest perception of differences. He found England in every way gratifying & satisfactory, & more of a contrast with things American than he had ever dared to hope.
Hardcover
Published 1933 by Waterlow & Sons Ltd (first published 1916)

Ali
Menu

heavenali Book reviews by someone who loves books …

Mr Britling sees it through – H G Wells (1916)

This was my first read for the Librarything Great War theme read. Many people will be reading William an Englishman by Cecily Hamilton during January and February, but as I read it just over a year ago I opted for one of the alternative titles.

This is an unusual novel, a novel of England as seen through the eyes of an American visitor, a novel about the realities and horrors of war it is both th...more
Lauren
This is a a wonderful jumble - part domestic novel, part philosphy, part rather profound musings on war and peace. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now a little in love with HGW, like, it seems, many women before me.
David
"A Farewell to Arms", Count Greffi to Henry:

"What have you been reading?"
"Nothing," I said. "I'm afraid that I am very dull."
"No. But you should read."
"What is there written in war-time?"
"There is `Le Feu` by a Frenchman, Barbusse. There is `Mr. Britling Sees Thorugh It. (sic)'"
"No, he doesn't."
"What?"
"He doesn't see through it. Those books were at the hospital."
"Then you have been reading?"
"Yes, but nothing any good."
"I thought `Mr. Britling` a very good study of the English middle-class soul."...more
D.L. Morrese
This is a surprisingly powerful novel, but not one with aliens or fantastic machines or representations of utopian futures, which are the things for which H.G. Wells is most noted. This is not that kind of book. There isn’t a driving plot that requires resolution. It falls firmly into the ‘literary’ genre, exploring how people react to events that threaten to change their view of the world. The event, of course, is World War I, and the story is a personal and very human account of the war’s firs...more
Eric
I'm re-reading HG Wells, working my way through a lot of his writing that I never encountered before. Mr. Britling Sees It Through is one of those I'd never read; didn't even know it existed. My prior knowledge of HG Wells was his prescient science fiction, well on a par with Jules Verne, and yet I find that he wrote far more social fiction, often with pointed socialist messages. But again, Mr. Britling isn't really one of those either.

The book was written in 1916, in the middle of World War I (...more
Irma Walter
Breathtaking view on WW1. Never heard these things in German school history. We don't know much about WW1, except for the outcome of the Versailles Treaty. At the time, Germany had grown industrious and powerful for 40 years and was a menace.

The first book was a bit tedious to get through, because the author spends much time describing the characters, to what end is not immediately obvious, until later. The language is awesome. I love the way Wells lets his characters express their minds, speec...more
Cpm
Excellent book published in england in 1916, in the middle of world war i. i didn't remember h.g. wells being such a insightful writer in his science fiction, but he does a great job of capturing the national mood through the thoughts of one man as britain drifts toward war with germany and reluctantly, then whole-heartedly becomes engaged in the conflict. the early chapters, about pre-war life on an english estate, give way to somewhat polemic middle passages then tender closing phases.
what ama...more
Karen
A confusing book. At first it's a novel about pre-WWI England seen through American eyes. Then it switches to a different pov and then into a philosophical book about war. It was gently satirical at first, then became more and more philosophical. I was quite moved by one character, a young German tutor living in England who is very gentle and affectionate. This rather broadly illustrated the stupidity of different nations fighting over nothing when individuals get along so well. But I wonder if...more
Kevin
Mr Britling might have seen it through, but I just couldn't. This novel started out fairly interesting, but got bogged down about the time Wells thought he write a detailed account of a field hockey game and still hold the reader's interest. He couldn't. After that, there was a good bit of narration about Mr Britling's love affairs and his thoughts about the impending European conflict. I just couldn't do it. It wasn't the least bit interesting with regard either to history or the character. Pit...more
Dave Turner
Okay, This little known book starts out as a jolly tale when an American comes to visit the United Kingdom and gives his impressions on it but quickly turns into a tale of a writer and his family & friends set against the backdrop of the first world war.

Writen during the war (1916) and featuring a enlightening amount of history and opinion, this is a must read for anyone interested in that area of history.
Syme
It' the fact that this book was written during the first world war that did it for me. The book is full of deep thoughts about the first world war, superbly intertwined with the story of Mr. Britling and the town of Matching's Easy.
Must read if you're interested in the first world war.
Thomas Bach
Fairy odd little book about the human cost of the Great War at home though the life and thoughts of a middle-brow public intellectual.
Raully
Wells discovers British gumption.
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Amanda Rusher
Amanda Rusher marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
M.R. Dowsing
M.R. Dowsing marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
AnnMarie
AnnMarie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Andrew Bowers
Andrew Bowers marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Christina Urban
Christina Urban marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Gav451
Gav451 marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Flora
Flora marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man