Start by marking “Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership

Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
New managers must learn how to lead others rather than do the work themselves, to win trust and respect, to motivate, and to strike the right balance between delegation and control. It is a transition many fail to make. This book traces the experiences of nineteen new managers over the course of their first year in a managerial capacity. Reveals the complexity of the trans ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Manager

Bob Selden
This is the second edition of Becoming a Manager and although only three chapters have been added, their impact is considerable.

The original edition is based on interviews with 19 new managers and their thoughts on becoming a manager. As such, it was an interesting, but somewhat hard going (sentences and paragraphs are wordy), read. Although the 19 managers are all from customer service or sales, their stories translate well to other professions.

This latest edition adds chapters on Exercising
It was difficult to read because it's such a comprehensive and deep research but with a qualitative approach that it took me several sittings to digest the content. Much like the managers in this study, it took me months to deeply appreciate and understand this book. What it did give me was the awareness that I'm not alone in my trials and errors.

This book is something I would really recommend for people who would like to take their development as managers seriously. However it is not an easy re
Johan Sulaiman
Contrary to prior reviews, I find this book a very easy read. The main reason is the immense amount of real-world quotations from the 19 managers being interviewed and tracked over the course of their first year being a manager. The book becomes an engaging account of the travails of these managers with insights to their inner fear and doubts. I find the book even more engaging than many novels!

It helps to put on the context hat while reading this. Get into the role of a first line manager or a
Michael Weening
I read this book when I first became a manager. Whenever someone comes into my office and says "I would like to be a manager" I ask them why and have they really thought about the transition? (Too many people want to become a manager because they think they "need" to as part of career progression).

It gives insight into what you are about to enter into and hopefully helps you bypass the most common of mistakes that I see happening with new managers every day.
Mills College Library
658.409 H6469 2003
A dense but rewarding book. Harvard professor Linda Hill studied 19 new managers in the first year of their managerial careers, and discovered some interesting things about how managers coped with the challenges of their new positions.

Recommended for anyone thinking about getting into management, new to management, or just interested in how management works.
Good book for up coming, new and experience managers who need the basic foundation of being a manager. I like the section on power and influence. It is very important to learn how to survive and be effective when you do not have alot of positional power and yet have to deliver results in a dynamic, challenging, global and changing economy.
Ana Seicarescu
A whole new perspective on what is expected of a new manager
Hisham Alamoudi
An amazing book very useful for all new managers
Afaque Shams
Afaque Shams marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
manas marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Krie is currently reading it
Graziela Domiciano
Graziela Domiciano marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Poh Geok Toh
Poh Geok Toh marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Andrei marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Yun Yuan Tay
Yun Yuan Tay marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Kelly Foster
Kelly Foster is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2015
Ann Renee
Ann Renee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Nadege marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Omair added it
Aug 07, 2015
Arturo marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Andrewkrukiel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Andy added it
Jul 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Eureka!: 81 Key Ideas Explained
  • Asian Godfathers
  • Making Innovation Work: How to Manage It, Measure It, and Profit from It
  • Managing at the Speed of Change: How Resilient Managers Succeed and Prosper Where Others Fail
  • The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating And Profiting from Technology
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Nine Things Successful People Do Differently
  • Rise: 3 Practical Steps for Advancing Your Career, Standing Out as a Leader, and Liking Your Life
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers
  • Understanding Variation: The Key to Managing Chaos
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies: Understanding Patterns of Project Behavior
Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader Collective Genius: The Art and Practice of Leading Innovation Becoming a Manager: Mastery of a New Identity Be a Great Boss: The Hill Collection Business Fundamentals As Taught At the Harvard Businss School: Leadership for New Managers