Start by marking “Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership

Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
New managers must learn how to lead others rather than do the work themselves, to win trust and respect, to motivate, and to strike the right balance between delegation and control. It is a transition many fail to make. This book traces the experiences of nineteen new managers over the course of their first year in a managerial capacity. Reveals the complexity of the trans ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Manager

Jill
Oct 28, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
Becoming a Manager is an insightful read into what it really means to manage. Here, Hill highlights the misconceptions that many new managers have. Tracking the progress of several newly appointed managers in various companies, Hill distills the insights and lessons they glean as to what management actually entails.

For instance, a new manager might think that with the new role comes greater power, authority and autonomy. In reality, being a manager makes you more dependent on others - you now d
Bob Selden
Aug 04, 2008 Bob Selden rated it liked it
This is the second edition of Becoming a Manager and although only three chapters have been added, their impact is considerable.

The original edition is based on interviews with 19 new managers and their thoughts on becoming a manager. As such, it was an interesting, but somewhat hard going (sentences and paragraphs are wordy), read. Although the 19 managers are all from customer service or sales, their stories translate well to other professions.

This latest edition adds chapters on Exercising
Marika
Jan 27, 2015 Marika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
It was difficult to read because it's such a comprehensive and deep research but with a qualitative approach that it took me several sittings to digest the content. Much like the managers in this study, it took me months to deeply appreciate and understand this book. What it did give me was the awareness that I'm not alone in my trials and errors.

This book is something I would really recommend for people who would like to take their development as managers seriously. However it is not an easy re
Johan Sulaiman
Contrary to prior reviews, I find this book a very easy read. The main reason is the immense amount of real-world quotations from the 19 managers being interviewed and tracked over the course of their first year being a manager. The book becomes an engaging account of the travails of these managers with insights to their inner fear and doubts. I find the book even more engaging than many novels!

It helps to put on the context hat while reading this. Get into the role of a first line manager or a
Michael Weening
Feb 21, 2013 Michael Weening rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I first became a manager. Whenever someone comes into my office and says "I would like to be a manager" I ask them why and have they really thought about the transition? (Too many people want to become a manager because they think they "need" to as part of career progression).

It gives insight into what you are about to enter into and hopefully helps you bypass the most common of mistakes that I see happening with new managers every day.
Mills College Library
658.409 H6469 2003
Wendy
Oct 11, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: manager-fu
A dense but rewarding book. Harvard professor Linda Hill studied 19 new managers in the first year of their managerial careers, and discovered some interesting things about how managers coped with the challenges of their new positions.

Recommended for anyone thinking about getting into management, new to management, or just interested in how management works.
Eric
Sep 24, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Good book for up coming, new and experience managers who need the basic foundation of being a manager. I like the section on power and influence. It is very important to learn how to survive and be effective when you do not have alot of positional power and yet have to deliver results in a dynamic, challenging, global and changing economy.
Ana Seicarescu
Jul 27, 2011 Ana Seicarescu rated it really liked it
A whole new perspective on what is expected of a new manager
Hisham Alamoudi
Nov 21, 2011 Hisham Alamoudi rated it it was amazing
An amazing book very useful for all new managers
Taylor
Taylor added it
May 24, 2016
Francisco Rosario
Francisco Rosario marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Larissa Hall
Larissa Hall marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Brigid
Brigid added it
May 08, 2016
Rashawn Bump
Rashawn Bump marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Iris Gercov
Iris Gercov marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Yoon Jk
Yoon Jk marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Karthik Raman
Karthik Raman marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Anil Panuganti
Anil Panuganti marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Tiago
Tiago marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Randy Goering
Randy Goering marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Arne
Arne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Aleksandr
Aleksandr rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Vitalii Varbanets
Vitalii Varbanets marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Khalfani Myrick
Khalfani Myrick marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Ned
Ned marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Isaac D. Jones
Isaac D. Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Eureka!: 81 Key Ideas Explained
  • Asian Godfathers
  • The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired
  • Managing at the Speed of Change: How Resilient Managers Succeed and Prosper Where Others Fail
  • Making Innovation Work: How to Manage It, Measure It, and Profit from It
  • Understanding Variation: The Key to Managing Chaos
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Rise: 3 Practical Steps for Advancing Your Career, Standing Out as a Leader, and Liking Your Life
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers
  • Managing With Power: Politics and Influence in Organizations
  • Managing for Dummies
  • Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies: Understanding Patterns of Project Behavior
  • Thoughts on Interaction Design
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • Nine Things Successful People Do Differently

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »