Start by marking “Notes from the Divided Country: Poems” as Want to Read:
Notes from the Divided Country: Poems

Notes from the Divided Country: Poems

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Notes from a Divided Country, Kim's first collection of poetry, confronts a number of difficult subjects - colonialism, the Korean War, emigration, racism, and love. She considers what a homeland would be for a divided nation and a divided self: what it means to enter language, the body, the family, the community; to be a daughter, sister, lover, citizen, or exile. In sett ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Louisiana State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Notes from the Divided Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from the Divided Country

Naomi
These are gorgeous, brave poems that take the breath away. Weaving together experimental and traditional forms, Kim's words sing of her Korean inheritance: a legacy of occupation, civil war, and immigration. They tell of longing, of her search for a lost culture, of the awkward juxtaposition of life in America with her own rich heritage. The book is brimming with rich imagery, with tastes, sounds, and smells that leap from the page.
Dustin
While much of poetry in general falls on my deaf ears, Monologue for an Onion almost singlehandedly changed my world-view.
How morose, the futile slashing of the human, skin after skin into what? for what? what heart? what truth?

"Look at you, chopping and weeping. Idiot.
Is this the way you go through life, your mind
A stopless knife, driven by your fantasy of truth?"

"Ruin and tears your only signs of progress"

"You are the one in pieces"

"Poor fool, you are divided at teh heart,
Lost in its
Kelsi
The first collection of poems that I actually admired to be 'great writing'! Despite reading it under the pressure of an assignment, it was actually a great read. It connects past, present, spiritual and mythological - A refreshingly diverse take on Korean history. I wish to read it again more closely.
Hayun
This woman is a master. Kim's poems are brilliant in their eloquence. There is a contained rage here, a perpetual grief. Her language is so fresh. She addresses everything real in Korean history, from the Pinan to racism in America. Here is a poetess who will give you stories that burn and ultimately transform the soul.
SmarterLilac
I love this collection; definitely one of the best I've ever read. There is so much going on in these complex pieces (history, family, heritage, culture, war, oppression and identity are all eloquently debated in this text). I can't wait for this multi-talented poet to publish again.
Paolo
I got a copy I'm dying to get rid of. Any takers? One thing I can't stand--self-exoticists. Give it up, SUSAN! You and Martin Yan really should meet up. I hear he manufactures his 'Chinee accent' just to keep his predominantly white audience watching, and his show on the air. Too much.
Peter
wonderful chilces of words-perhaps to thick and dense for some of the poems-overuse of blood, bone etc-still very worth reading-some poems just marvelous
Steven
The first poem alone in this book makes it worth owning and rereading.
Mindy
Elegant and horrific at the same time.
Dustin
Booooooo!!!!!!
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Michael Palkowski
Michael Palkowski marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Kyunghee
Kyunghee marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Heloise Cambonie
Heloise Cambonie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Allis
Allis is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Annie T
Annie T marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014