Notes from the Divided Country: Poems

Notes from the Divided Country: Poems

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Notes from a Divided Country, Kim's first collection of poetry, confronts a number of difficult subjects - colonialism, the Korean War, emigration, racism, and love. She considers what a homeland would be for a divided nation and a divided self: what it means to enter language, the body, the family, the community; to be a daughter, sister, lover, citizen, or exile. In sett...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Louisiana State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Notes from the Divided Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from the Divided Country

Dustin
While much of poetry in general falls on my deaf ears, Monologue for an Onion almost singlehandedly changed my world-view.
How morose, the futile slashing of the human, skin after skin into what? for what? what heart? what truth?

"Look at you, chopping and weeping. Idiot.
Is this the way you go through life, your mind
A stopless knife, driven by your fantasy of truth?"

"Ruin and tears your only signs of progress"

"You are the one in pieces"

"Poor fool, you are divided at teh heart,
Lost in its...more
Hazelwood
Exhilarating!
Hayun
This woman is a master. Kim's poems are brilliant in their eloquence. There is a contained rage here, a perpetual grief. Her language is so fresh. She addresses everything real in Korean history, from the Pinan to racism in America. Here is a poetess who will give you stories that burn and ultimately transform the soul.
SmarterLilac
I love this collection; definitely one of the best I've ever read. There is so much going on in these complex pieces (history, family, heritage, culture, war, oppression and identity are all eloquently debated in this text). I can't wait for this multi-talented poet to publish again.
Paolo
I got a copy I'm dying to get rid of. Any takers? One thing I can't stand--self-exoticists. Give it up, SUSAN! You and Martin Yan really should meet up. I hear he manufactures his 'Chinee accent' just to keep his predominantly white audience watching, and his show on the air. Too much.
Peter
wonderful chilces of words-perhaps to thick and dense for some of the poems-overuse of blood, bone etc-still very worth reading-some poems just marvelous
Steven
The first poem alone in this book makes it worth owning and rereading.
Mindy
Elegant and horrific at the same time.
Dustin
Booooooo!!!!!!
Mennen Gordon
Mennen Gordon marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Apr 05, 2014
stinglikeabee
stinglikeabee marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Nadra
Nadra added it
Oct 26, 2013
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013