Start by marking “The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team” as Want to Read:
The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team

The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,261 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Building and maintaining a successful team is no simpletask. Even people who have taken their teams to the highest level in theirfield have difficulty recreating what accounted for their successes. Is it astrong work ethic? Is it chemistry ? What tools can you wrap your hands aroundto build or rebuild your team?

In The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork, leadership expertand...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork

Mat Rueter
Apr 28, 2008 Mat Rueter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in or leading a team
One thing I learned is the following:

The Wrong Person in the Wrong Place = Regression
The Wrong Person in the Right Place = Frustration
The Right Person in the Wrong Place = Confusion
The Right Person in the Right Place = Progression
The Right People in the Right Places = Multiplication
Bernard Bentley
This book is a literal road map to just about anything you want to accomplish in life. From raising a family to Counseling and even building a business. John Maxwell what does a great job detailing the importance of teamwork and how one person is too small number for greatness. Teamwork really does make the dream work.
Viktor Zakharchenko
Благодаря сервису getabstract.com я познакомился с книгой Джона Максвелла. Книга аж 2001 года, но с того времени мало что изменилось в умении бизнес-авторов размазывать мысль на длинные списки. Отфильтровав саммари книги (а бывает и такое!), предлагаю 4 простых правила, которые есть и в самом источнике, и в моей голове - стараюсь их использовать в работе.

1. Побеждают команды, а не отдельные личности. Ответственность может быть только общей.

2. Ритм команды зависит от скорости самого медленного. О...more
Todd Sherman
I am about 1/2 way through it and thus far it is feeling very light. It is full of examples of other teams but missing meaningful concrete exercises to become a better team member. That is, the book concentrates on mantras like, "To be a better team member you need to sacrifice more." Here are examples of sacrifice. This is not helpful. It is equivalent to saying to someone "You need to save more money to get out of debt." But not identifying how to go about that. I will update the review when I...more
Patrice
John Maxwell A+ yet again! This book is perfect for anyone who is in an environment where teamwork is essential...which nowadays is pretty much everywhere. After reading, I'd suggest using in conjunction with the video and workbook as a team building/learning situation with your team. He adds humor with the teaching so its not boring at all, promise! LOVE JOHN MAXWELL AS A TEACHER!!!
Daryl
There is no greater fan of John Maxwell than John Maxwell. He loves to highlight his own successes ad nauseum.

His "laws" are highly and easily debatable. I read this as part of reading group at work. To have a discussion on any chapter with a positive result was difficult. We usually ended up discussing how we would have written the chapter.

It was difficult to get through.
Belal Khan
is read this immediately after the laws of leadership. some of the content repeats from the previous book, but stuff is a must read if you're looking to build teams and multiply your influence.
Jonathan Brooker
Classic Maxwell. He creates bite-sized chapters around single principles. I think that makes it easier to digest and then to look back and review quickly. That's good because I think teamwork is a work that constantly needs revising and fine-tuning.
While I don't know that there was anything earth-shatteringly new or brilliant in the book, it is still a phenomenal resource of wisdom coming from experience of working with high caliber teams for decades. Therefore, I'd go as far as saying that any...more
Hillary
As good as his other book - common sense, but stuff that needs reminding every once in a while.
Anoud
Here’s the thing, when I first started reading this book, it immediately seemed to me as one of the “so-common-sense” books. Add to this, the irritating way the author keeps talking about himself to the extent one might think it’s rather an autobiography!

Nonetheless, as I went on, I figured out that this book is definitely worth reading. What Maxwell does basically here is that he introduces you to a set of 17-absolutely-useful laws of teamwork, in which you can apply to maximize your team’s pot...more
Jeremy
It's hard for me to mark this as a two star book because all i've heard is great praise for Maxwell... This is the first book i've actually read by him. It's not the laws themselves... in fact, with this book and with his other "xx Laws" books, I have heard them and seen them work in practice many times over... so, I guess I was just expecting more on the level of expansion. Because the laws are almost all common sense and standard leadership practices, I can glean almost everything valuable tha...more
Jason Leonard
Half way through the book I wondered why it was recommended to me; very little I was reading is something I hadn't already heard or read somewhere else. Look, Maxwell is easy to read - full of stories and the guy loves lists. It's easy to get his main points quickly. What made me realize that this is an amazing book was when, again about halfway through, I started wondering, "How bad would it be if someone on a team DIDNT know this stuff?"

So yeah, at that point it was pretty clear to me that thi...more
Mohammad Mahdi
شاید بتوان گفت که بخش بزرگی از مدیریت نوین بر پایه رهبری و کار تیمی و ارتباط این دو موضوع قرار گرفته است. این کتاب با توجه به سابقه طولانی حرفه ای و آموزشی نویسنده آن به نوعی بر مرز دو موضوع رهبری و کار تیمی قرار گرفته است و به نظر من مطالعه آن در کنار کتابهای صفتهای بایسته یک رهبر و بیست و یک قانون انکارناپذیر رهبری بسیار مناسب است
این کتاب هم برای رهبران تیمها و هم برای افرادی که میخواهند در تیمها به نحوی مؤثر فعالیت کنند بسیار مفید است
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: leadership
Maxwell is pretty repetitive in all his books - great marketing and business scheme to sell books. The 'laws' are good, but maybe not biblical. His corporate mentality of leadership is helpful for all business / teamwork aspects of life (even in ministry), but every one of his books fall short on biblical content, and how to live like Christ as a leader. This book will be a gut-level checklist to see if you are on the right track, but I would not hang these laws in my office to live by. This is...more
I listened to the audiobook.
Jolyn Crawford
John is an expert in leadership and teamwork. I love listening to him speak in person and on tape, but his books really focus in detail on the acquisition and execution of skills in the area of human motivation; leadership;cooperation and teamwork. Whether you're going to be a one man or woman show or build an empire, you can not fail if you follow his principals.
Eddie
I used this book with my teachers on many occasions. It has always been useful. At the beginning of this school year my staff covered the book by having each law assigned to a pair of teachers. The teachers then shared with the rest of the staff until we had them all covered. This is a great way to cover these concepts. And they do make a difference.
Emily Leathers
Well-written and easy to read. The ideas are clearly good, and very intuitive.

This book should be really grabbing me but it isn't. Hopefully that will change as I finish it. I'm going to give it a 4 anyway.

** My library loan expired. I'll check it out again to finish it once my new books from Christmas are read. **
Jim
LIke all of the John Maxwell books that I've read, this one is a quick read and worth your time. It only gets a 3 because he cites Enron as an example of the Law of the Compass when it should be an example of the Law of the Chain (i.e., the weak link). An updated edition of this book should come up w/ another example.
Earl Biringer
More corporate flim-flam. Buzzwords and adages abound, but there is no meat. A 12 year old could have come up with these "indisputable laws" in about 15 minutes, and provided better examples to boot. I only read this because my boss made the entire leadership team read it. The things we do for a buck...
Adam
I read this book looking to enhance my leadership of the team I was working with. I enjoyed it so much that I decided that we would go through it as a team. It fostered some good discussions. If you manage or lead people, this book will help solidify principles that you want to see in your team.
Katie
3.5 stars for the book. Four stars for the overall experience. We watched the videos and did the workbook along with reading the book. There are some dated references and it took me a chapter or two to get into it but I learned a lot and got some good strategies.
Garrett Jackson
This may seem like a very simple premise: "teams are important." However, Maxwell immediately takes you through several principles in teamwork you may have never considered. Excellent at helping you evaluate your team and make the necessary adjustments.
Joseph Nally
I again thought that Maxwell was just cash cowing this series and rehashing some old catchy phrases, but a few chapters in and you realize your learning again. There's a few too many sports references in here but it is about teams after all.
Jun Estomo
This is a very good book if you wanted to form an organization/institutio/family/church/company etc. you have to read this book, it may help you to build a unified team were all cn work together based on your goal, objectives niether mission.
Julie Baylor
Overall, a good book with value. If half stars were permitted I would rate 3.5. I especially got a lot out of chapter 16, The Law of High Morale. I recommend for someone who needs to jump start a team and get some positive momentum.
Rob
I will admit that I am without a doubt a John Maxwell disciple. In this, John provides great insight was to what it means to be a part of a team and the responsibility of each team member.
Robert
Thought it was a great read. Lot of good tips but discovered that a lot of what Maxwell discusses in this book, I do already just didn't realize it.
Jolene
You can trust the guidance from John Maxwell. Whether he is talking about Teamwork or Leadership. I have read most of his books.
dc
A rehash of team research. Maxwell always phrases beautifully but if your focus is to learn something new about teamwork go elsewhere.
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Speak to Win: How to Present with Power in Any Situation
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Taking People With You: The Only Way to Make BIG Things Happen
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“It's better to prepare than to repair.” 9 likes
“For the person trying to do everything alone, the game really is over. If you want to do something big, you must link up with others. One is too small a number to achieve greatness. That’s the Law of Significance.” 1 likes