Start by marking “Equilibrium (Portal Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Equilibrium (Portal Chronicles, #2)

Equilibrium (Portal Chronicles #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  805 ratings  ·  37 reviews
It’s not every day you see a naked body slumped by the side of the road…

This ominous sight is just the beginning of a mystery that will span two dimensions.

When California teen Arizona Darley and her siblings go missing, their mother, Dr. Olivia Darley, discovers that the time-travel portal she invented has been hijacked.

Is the hijacker responsible for the disappearance of
Published (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Equilibrium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Equilibrium

Imogen Rose
Jul 15, 2010 Imogen Rose added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My book!
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
A thrilling story and one that I could not put down.. literally. I read the whole thing in one sitting, not able to stop for a drink or some munch.

Imogen Rose has blissfully refrained from excessive label-dropping in this book, which has been a pleasant surprise, but it ends in such a way that I feel inclined to start the third installment right away. Alas, some sleep is required each day, and starting a new book would deprive me of what little sleep I can yet get out of the night :)
Yekaterina
Arizona's story continues with more twists and turns. She still has very little answers and a lot of questions. New details about her worlds are revealed and she discovers another friend (or two) has taken a liking towards her.
The second book has a good pace to it. It's not too slow or boring. It's not overly detailed and aggravating. Just enough to keep the suspense and intensity going. I liked this book better than the first one. The writing has improved, both grammar and plot.
The only thing
Bob Rodenbaugh
Sequel drop off. Things that looked so promising in Portal are looking much less so now. Where is the sad face emoticon when you need it?
Ami Blackwelder

If you loved Portal by Imogen Rose, the story of tomboy Arizona Stevens who hates her little sister and whose parents are divorced, waking up one day in the back of a van and into an alternative universe where she becomes Arizona Darely, a blond cheerleading who loves her little sister and whose parents love each other even more….you will love this book.

The story Equilibrium addresses some of the nagging questions the reader might have had from the first book, and dives more into the life of Ari
Cindy
(Actually 3.5 Stars)

Equilibrium begins with the same night that Portal left off. Although Arizona has many questions about the portal her mother built and how her life has turned out how it has, she's happy with her choice to stay in this dimension with her family and boyfriend, Kellan. That is, until she is violently ripped from it and thrust into her original dimension. Arizona learns much more about how her family came to be together, and also more about time-travel. She also begins to have f
Dixie
I acquired Equilibrium through a first reads giveaway.

I said some of the following in my review of the first book in the series, Portal. Unfortunately, my complaints are applicable for the second book as well.

The plot is promising and fresh. Sometimes the dialog made me cringe, but I am not a teenage girl so that probably explains my issues with the dialog. The writing is also a bit immature. Random exclamations and fragmented sentences may work on a small scale, but there were way too many for
Candy
A sequel. Part two. Book two. Two little words that make me cringe. As a rule, I try to avoid series (although it seems that is all I'm reading these days, go figure). It's not that I have anything against them. I like the character development that can happen across multiple books. I like following story lines and threads through to the bitter end. I don't like BOOK TWO though. That usually means that, well, it's going to suck. What is it with "book two"? Do authors set out to make them bad or ...more
Taylor Smith
This series has been taunting me for a while, ever since I bought it over a year ago. It sounded so interesting, but unfortunately, it didn't live up to it's hype at all. I did finish the entire series, which ended up being a huge waste of my time. I kept thinking it was going to get better, but sadly, it never did.

The writing was unnatural and didn't flow well, especially in the dialogue, and I felt that there were a lot of missed opportunities in the storyline. I'm no writer, but if I were, t
Leilani Lopez
Equilibrium took off perfect. Everything was perfect in Arizona's world. She has the life she always wanted, a family she loves, and a perfect relationship. What more could she ask for? Answers.

Arizona has been through a lot of things in the past few months. More than anyone could ever imagine. After a life that Arizona thought could not have gotten any worse than it was... It did. If finally enjoying your life after such a change is a bad thing, just imagine getting kidnapped. Yes you can say
Avery
Once again Miss Imogen Rose has written herself a fantabulous story! Seriously, I thought that "Portal" was good, but "Equilibrium"? It blew "Portal" out of the water! This has hands-down been one of the most suspenseful books I have read in quite some time- I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat while reading it.

In my review of "Portal" I complained about some of the dialogue that Imogen wrote, I found portions of it to be really choppy and robot-like, but I didn't find that at all with
Misty Baker
A few months ago I read “Portal” by Imogen Rose and loved it. Quickly after it’s conclusion, however, I became apprehensive about reading “Equilibrium” (book 2 in the series.) Why? Well that’s simple. After reading not 1 but 4 different “#2′s” last year, (and being disappointed by each and every one of them) I didn’t want to ruin my love for Rose’s characters.

Now, while some of y’all are probably screaming at me for not having faith in the author (or her ability to deliver a successful second bo
Linda
The perfect world of Mountain View is falling apart.
We get a glimpse of Arizona's life in Princeton, and she is not as happy there as she thought she would be. There is a lot of drama in both dimensions.

We are introduced to more `Wanderers' and get a little for information and history about them. Rupert's connection is still shady. Who exactly is Rupert? Arizona and her mom finally have a talk and Arizona starts gaining a respect and understanding for her mom that she didn't have before. The Ste
Tamela
When I started the 'Portal Chronicles', I thought it was a good story line and was interested. Sadly Equilibrium was not as good as the first book, Portal.

Several times in this book (way too many times) someone would gather people together to get 'answers' and then go one to say 'I can't answer that at the moment until but I will answer your questions' and then NOTHING IS ANSWERED.

Now Daniel and Arizona like each other? It was just a week ago she was all sprung in love with Kellan and its the
Dawn Judd
I heard over and over again that Equilibrium was better than Portal. I thought to myself, "how can that possibly be? Portal was awesome!" I don't know how she did it, but Imogen truly has outdone herself. Equilibrium delivers all that is promised and then some. It is an action-packed tale filled with mystery and suspense. The story starts off where Portal ended, and we are drawn further into the bizarre life that Arizona has found herself. Any and all questions that you may have had after readin ...more
Al
The adventures of reluctant time-traveler Arizona Stevens continue in this second installment of Imogen Rose’s “Portal Chronicles.” Although first reading “Portal,” the initial book in the series, might be preferable, Rose sets the stage well enough in this volume for those just joining to quickly orient themselves.

“Equilibrium” is “Portal” with the heat turned up. The decisions Arizona faces are harder; the situations more perilous. As relatively minor characters who were mostly on the sidelin
Amy
This second in a series did not disappoint! "Portal" was so good that I was worried if this second book could compare and it did! Again, I was unable to put this book down and read it in 2 days. Arizona is a very strong main character and all supporting characters are special in their own ways. They all contribute and make the book flow as the story unfolds. In this second book we follow Arizona as she gets thrown back into "Stevens" world. Before this, Arizona thought she wanted nothing more th ...more
Amber
Meh.....I said this about the first book and I will say it again: Intriguing storyline, but underdeveloped and rushed.

And terrible dialogue and terrible character reactions. Completely unrealistic. And that is the biggest problem I have with this series. I have no idea how these books are rated so high! The writing is absolutely awful. Sometimes I wonder how old the author is, based on her writing, I would say maybe 12.

That being said (again, from my review of the first book), it was somewhat m
Isa
Sehr gute Fortsetzung!
Hope Welsh
Mar 19, 2013 Hope Welsh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
I loved this series! It's an excellent sequel to Portal. I've enjoyed learning more about the characters and the world!

Rose is capable of producing fiction that draws the reader in from page one. Her characters are well-written, and her plot is intriguing.

This is the first book I've ever read with this kind of storyline--it was refreshing to see a series that wasn't the same story I'd read a million times before.

I highly recommend the entire series.
Maria Hooley
Equilibrium is a wonderful sequel to Portal, and Imogen Rose has definitely developed a broader scope to the narrative, adding in a racial mythology to deepen the mystery. If the first novel basically developed the characters, this one really sets up the twists and turns of the plot, and the pacing is wonderful. The writing is much tighter in this novel, and I really enjoyed spending time Arizona's worlds once again.
Marilyn
This book leaves you hanging as did the first one in this series. A great idea for a book, but as I said about Portal, very very simply written. Entertainment is what this book is all about but the technical side of me is bugged by the holes in the physics portion of this story. The Many Worlds Theory is much more involved than how it is presented here. I would like this series more if there was an editor.
Bethany
okay, so I won this book in a give away quite some time ago but I had to buy the first book and read it before I could read this one!! I have really enjoyed this series and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!! These books brought me into the world of time travel fro the first time and I'll have to say I was skeptical at first but was won over by it immediately!! LOVED IT!!
Nicole
This wasn't bad, but I had such a hard time following because the author was constantly switching the point of view from character to character. Plus I am a fan of romance but alot of this reminded me of a bad lifetime movie. I might read the next one but not quite sure yet. I was just a little curious after the first one so I picked this one up.
Jason
This book is the continuation of Portals, a science fiction, time traveling, YA romance novel. This book was not as good as the first as we got less character development and more action. This to me did not work as well as the first. I still recommend this book to those that want a very fast paced, short length, light fare science fiction/ YA series.
Rachel C.
It's my own fault - curiosity got the better of me and I skimmed the second one. I don't know how she did it, but the second one is even worse than the first. The shaky science can't hold up to any sort of scrutiny and Rose clearly knows nothing about police procedure. Complete mumbo jumbo.

OK, I can let it lie now.
Sara
This was a great second book to the series. It answered a whole lot of questions that I had from the first book.
I'm looking for a little bit more heat in Arizona & Kellan's relationship, hopefully we'll get it in the third book?
Once again, great read and I can't wait to start the next one. :)
Mar 27, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Sage
Good book, good series. It's not a thriller, but it was enjoyable. Really cute, interesting, well-written, etc. I wish both books I've read so far were longer to get more meat in 'em instead of this wishy-washy stuff. Anyway, it was a good book, but not great. Oh well...
Kitty
The only thing wrong with this book is that it definitely left me hanging, and the rest of the series isn't available yet! I'm really hooked. We do learn more in this one then the last - very unusual story. No question that I want to find out what happens next.
Toniann
I did like the story, but I felt the original relationships were lacking because of how the book starts off. I can't wait to learn more about David/Kellan and where they stand in the next book. I finished this in about 3 hours & will buy book 3.
  • Treasure Lost
  • The Animal
  • Talus
  • Kane (Southern Shifters, #2)
  • Midnight Reflections (Preternatural Investigation Agency, #1)
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • The Last Great Wizard of Yden (Yden, #1)
  • The Bone Sword
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • Solitary (Solitary Tales, #1)
  • Summer of Two Wishes (Cedar Springs #1)
  • Book of Revenge (Knight Angels, #2)
  • Blood of Adoria (Guardians of Legend #2)
  • The Clockwork Man
  • The Sapphire Talisman (Talisman, #2)
  • Penitence (Heavenly, #2)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
Imogen Rose is the author of the bestselling series, Portal Chronicles, which has attained cult status within indie literature and become a favorite among teens and adults alike. An immunologist by profession, Dr. Rose published her first work of fiction in 2010. She now writes full time and is currently working on her second teen series, the Bonfire Chronicles. Imogen was born in Sweden and has l ...more
More about Imogen Rose...

Portal Chronicles (5 books)
  • Portal (Portal Chronicles, #1)
  • Quantum (Portal Chronicles, #3)
  • Momentum (Portal Chronicles, #4)
  • Fusion (Portal Chronicles, #5)
Portal (Portal Chronicles, #1) Initiation  (Bonfire Academy, #1) Quantum (Portal Chronicles, #3) Integration (Bonfire Academy, #2) Faustine (Bonfire Chronicles, #1)