Hungry, Hungry Sharks

Hungry, Hungry Sharks

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Did you know that there were sharks on earth even before dinosaurs? For more than twenty years, Hungry, Hungry Sharks! has been a staple nonfiction title in the Step into Reading line. Nothing is more exciting than sharks, and this title is packed with amazing facts about these fearsome underseas predators. And now it’s even more exciting, with dynamic new cover art to att...more
Published April 12th 1986 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry, Hungry Sharks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry, Hungry Sharks

Tatiana
You never know how a book on sharks will go over with 7 year-olds, but my group weren't fazed and took up the focus skill of the lesson--the nonfiction text feature, comparison--easily. What made Hungry, Hungry Sharks informational text a great fit for the lesson was the illustrations, especially the two that showed the whale shark on top of a bus and the dwarf shark in the palm of a hand. The kids drew their own comparisons, and even though I'm biased, they were very well done.
Petra
Akkor is ha gyerekeknek volt sokat tanultam belole.
Pl.A feher capa a legnagyobb capa a balna-capan kivul.
Hogy,hogy csinaljak a tudosokkifogni a capat es hova viszik ,hogy megnezhessek.
Van egy olyan kicsi capa mint a kizunk,es meg nagyon sok dolgot.
Sarah Sammis
With Hungry, Hungry Sharks and The Magic School Bus: The Great Shark Escape, both by Joanna Cole, I feel like I'll be reviewing the same book twice. Hungry, Hungry Sharks! written first is a straight forward introductory science book about sharks.

This book is part of the "Step into Reading" series and is aimed at first grade readers. The book covers the different types of sharks, their habitats, their diet, reproduction and other interesting facts.

The section on the nurse shark is especially in...more
Heather
One of the boys (2nd grade) just got done reading this book. He read 3 to 6 pages a day. It was appropriate for a beginning reader without being choppy or dumbed down. It really held our attention and we learned a ton of things we didn't know before, and we've read a lot about sharks.

I'll be adding this to our science reading list as well. All around great book.
Leslie
Jun 12, 2009 Leslie added it
My five year old loves this book. It's all about sharks: how many kinds of sharks there are in the world, the brain size of sharks, how some momma sharks will eat their young if the young don't get away from momma shark. This book would be classified as a "specialized," book.
Dolly
Feb 21, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a simple and straightforward book about sharks, with some interesting facts and a narrative that is good for beginning readers. There are a lot of illustrations and some funny parts that are perfect for children in grades 1-3. Our girls enjoyed this story.
Mrs Bond
Text provides basic information on shark habitat, feeding habits, and community. Writing style and vocabulary make this a good choice for an newly independent reader. Illustrations are helpful in showing the features and size of various sharks.
Tate Rytky
This was a long book for Tate, but it's amazing how his reading stamina increases when reading about blue sharks picking up the smell of blood in the water, or great whites eating their own babies. Tate says he'd give it 10 stars!
Jessie
Fun little book about the different types of sharks. My six year old and I liked reading this and learning together.
Lisa
Lots of great illustrations, sharks, and facts.
I'd recommend it.
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Mrs. Bond
Shannon Ozirny
One of my favourite books as a wee one. Just look at that shark on the cover! He's hungry, all right!
Tricia
How exciting that there are shark easy readers! Covers variety of shark species.
Geoffrey Olsen
The first book I ever read. I used to copy all of the drawings inside. Sharks!
Mrs. Kris's Class
May 14, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Col
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie...more
More about Joanna Cole...
The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3) The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4) The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5) The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry