Start by marking “Eten, vuren en beuken” as Want to Read:
Eten, vuren en beuken

Eten, vuren en beuken

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  76,752 Ratings  ·  3,898 Reviews
Op school leert iedereen de basisbeginselen van de interpunctie. Toch weten we dat de punt, de komma en het vraagteken voor ons nog vele geheimen hebben. Het is de hoogste tijd voor een gezaghebbende gids over interpunctie, zodat we precies weten waar we aan toe zijn.

Lynne Truss, schrijver en radiopresentator, schreef een even dwingend als geestig boek, waarvan in Engeland
Published 2004 by Prometheus (first published January 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eten, vuren en beuken, please sign up.

Shantala (Shanaya Tales) That depends on the level of proficiency the reader has already achieved in the language.

While this is a very useful reference book, it might not be…more

While this is a very useful reference book, it might not be the best one to start with.(less)
Robert Johnson Just like a grammar textbook there are discrete chapters.

Nataliya
Jun 11, 2014 Nataliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grammar nerds and punctuation sticklers
Bad punctuation can force an innocent animal to live outside the law. Now, instead of peacefully munching, it EATS, SHOOTS, and LEAVES.

I proudly consider myself a punctuation martyr. The setting is an ordinary Soviet elementary school, first grade. I am kicked out of the classroom and sent home with an angry note. My transgression - in my wide-eyed seven-year-old innocence I dared to correct my (very Soviet) teacher on her comma placement and a spelling mistake. This crime landed me on her "
Manny
Jul 04, 2015 Manny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have, for some reason, frequently been recommended Lynne Truss's book, though the reason escapes me; friends who have been exposed to my academic writing style are particularly prone to do so, and I have grown used to this strange phenomenon. I'm sure it says more about them - poor, unenlightened souls - than it does about me; for some reason, in particular, very few people understand what a wonderful punctuation mark the semi-colon is, and that it can, and very often should, be used to replac ...more
Will Byrnes
Sep 23, 2015 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful screed on the demise of punctuation in contemporary expression. Truss bemoans the loss of knowledge or of interest in proper use of language. Truss is a Brit and the usages have not been modified for the American edition of the book. A must and an enjoyable read for anyone who cares about our language, for any reader. In addition to gripes about the slovenly way that we write, Truss offers some history on punctuation.
Jason
Jul 26, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a snob. In the comfortable safety of my desk chair, I'm audibly mocking you if you dare use "your" for "you're" (my biggest punctuation pet peeve) or if your emails are peppered with unnecessary exclamation points and an overabundance of emoticons. I like the smiley in IM conversations; I hate it in email. It's just a thing. When I meet a pretty young thing that I might want to break bread with on occasion, I'm filled with anxiety over that first email: will she write in complete sentences w ...more
Jojo
Jul 31, 2007 Jojo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are pedantic and irritating
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe it's because I suffer from a lack of punctuation know-how!>?>:_; but this book irked me! Maybe it's because I'm a linguist and, while I understand the purpose and value of punctuation, I just can't get all worked up about it. Yeah, we all gotta have good writing skillz. But, most sticklers for punctuation that I know are people who want to lord their intelligence over other people, but don't have much to recommend their intelligence other than a knowledge of when to use a semicolon. ...more
Chris
Aug 02, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how I know I'm a real English teacher - I have a shelf dedicated to books just about English. The history of English, the uses and misuses of English, and even the history of the alphabet we use. This is something I never expected to have in my personal library, that's for sure.

But that's all to be expected; I'm an English teacher, and people like me are supposed to read books like this. It's professional development, or something. The weird thing about this book, a book dedicated to pu
Aaron
Apr 10, 2012 Aaron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lynne Truss pulls off the impressive feat of pumping about 20 pages of expository writing full of enough hot air to go into orbit (or at least top the Bestsellers list for several weeks).

I could probably write a book of equal length (a fluffy and yet tedious 204 pages) going into what a disorganized mess this book is, but I'll spare you. Instead, here are three reasons why you should save yourself the criminal $17.50 this book costs.

First, Truss comes across as such a pretentious, self-importa
Riku Sayuj
Mar 07, 2014 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, r-r-rs

Delightful book. Have enlisted for the corps.

Consider: “Using the comma well announces that you have an ear for sense and rhythm, confidence in your style and a proper respect for your reader, but it does not mark you out as a master of your craft. But colons and semicolons—well, they are in a different league, my dear! They give such lift!” author Truss writes. “The humble comma can keep the sentence aloft all right, like this, UP, for hours if necessary, UP, like this, UP, sort- of bouncing, a
Lynne King
Feb 21, 2013 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I found the title intriguing and also the author’s name. I also enjoyed the first words in the Introduction:

“Either this will ring bells for you, or it won’t. A printed banner has appeared on the concourse of a petrol station near to where I live. “Come inside,” it says, “for CD’s, VIDEO’s, DVD’s, and Book’s.”

Such incorrect usage of the apostrophe and it just makes me squirm. I have the same feeling about “its” and “it’s”. I vividly recall learning English grammar at school. It was exceedingly
David
Jul 25, 2007 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't see what all the fuss was about this book--the author didn't seem particularly knowledgeable, and her "zero-tolerance" approach seems to do more to promote intolerance than to promote clarity.

In particular, her distaste for "emoticons" seems entirely inconsistent with her fascination with the origins of punctuation--it's as if she thinks of punctuation as a dead thing that _used to be_ alive, but now she doesn't want anyone to disturb the corpse.
Carol.
Mar 28, 2015 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of writing, humor, words
I confess: I frequently find myself self-conscious about my use of punctuation. A few years back, I even bought a copy of Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style, but have yet to read more than a chapter or two at a time before discovering something else to do, even if it’s bathing the dog. Similarly, I procrastinated on reading Eats Shoots & Leaves, and I really shouldn’t have. Full of humor and information, it explains some of the easier nuances to punctuation in a useful and engaging man ...more
Becky
I'm undecided as to whether I'm a punctuationally-challenged heathen, or if I qualify as a stickler. I have no formal training (other than my school years) pertaining to punctuation, and if you were to ask me to define the rules pertaining to when a semicolon should be used, I'd probably guess at something close to right... maybe.

Ugh, and see: I'm an ellipses junkie! It's unacceptable, since I am not a famous author who can break the rules with impunity.

However, many of the rules of good punct
Caroline
May 20, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, miscellaneous
This book is a witty rant about the use and misuse of punctuation. It has a very high feel good factor. We, the readers, of course know how to use apostrophes correctly, and that writing littered with exclamation marks infers a feeble mind. We know subconsciously, even if not via overt rules, how to use hyphens. We pat pat pat ourselves on the back with being so in accord with this funny woman and her nit-picking usage of grammar.

Ahhhh, except this is the nub of the thing. Lynne Truss in this bo
Michael
Sanctimonious prudery that doesn't even get everything right, smartly gutted by Louis Menand in a withering New Yorker review. Meh.
Kathrynn
Oct 15, 2008 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fellow Sticklers
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Language and Grammar Group
I thoroughly enjoyed this short, funny book about British punctuation. The author had a wonderful sense of humor and used it throughout the book. This was a quick read, with sections on the:

1. Apostrophe
2. Comma
3. Quotation Marks (single and double)
(Now I understand why I see punctuation in and outside of quotation marks; British place outside while the American custom place inside.)
4. Colon, Semicolon and Interjections
5. Dash, Exclamation, Question, Italics, Underlining...
6. Hyphen
7. Emoticons
John Beeler
Jul 11, 2007 John Beeler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a waste of my time. Think of an old guy yelling at a bunch of kids to get of his lawn. Then put that sentence in really good grammar, and that is this book.

It's overwhelmingly pretentious. As far as I am concerned, it generally ignores the way language moves to apparent regression when in fact it is merely changing, as it always does.
Nastassja
Dec 30, 2015 Nastassja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: huge fans of puncruation

This is a first book in a while I read in russian. You may notice that maybe it's not the best idea to read a book about english grammar in russian language. But worry not, I had a really good translation that was created with the help of many educated british ladies and gentlemen; moreover the original quotes were saved in translation and I had a bonus in a form of two phrases instead of one.

This book is not a grammar book but an entertaining nonfiction about the most funny misuse of punctuati

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
To be honest, I never heard the panda joke until this book came out. The Australian version is a bit different - not as clever and involved, perhaps, but funny nonetheless. It went something like (and I am the worst person at re-telling jokes, I always forget bits. Usually the punchline): What does an Aussie bloke have in common with a wombat? They both eat, shoots and leaves. Except that's not quite it cause the grammar is off. Never let me tell a joke, I'll always ruin it.

Anyway, to the book.
Emma
Apr 29, 2008 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an interesting in writing (better)
When was the last time you read a book where you could literally say, "This book has changed my life." Eat, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss is one such book.

At first I thought a zero tolerance approach to punctuation sounded a bit extreme. That is until Truss mentioned one of my favorite movies ("Two Weeks Notice"), pointing out that the title should be "Two Weeks' Notice". I was shocked. I had always assumed an apostrophe was there. Then I started listening to The Plain White T's, a band whose
Amy (Other Amy)
Apr 14, 2016 Amy (Other Amy) marked it as not-my-cup-of-tea  ·  review of another edition
"An Englishwoman lecturing Americans on semicolons is a little like an American lecturing the French on sauces." - Louis Menand

His full review is here:

I think I'll stick with The Elements of Style.

(Originally commented upon about sometime in 2015.)
Sushan
Mar 01, 2015 Sushan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, non-fiction
i Learn,t alot ... about! punctu-ation???"
Rowena
Jun 09, 2012 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the English language, writers
I don't think I "favourite" many non-fiction books but this book was just brilliant! Lynn Truss laments the misuse of our punctuation marks, and the possible future demise of a couple, such as the semi-colon. This book is perfect (or a bit worrying) for grammar and punctuation sticklers. Some of the examples of terrible punctuation use will make you cringe, while others will make you laugh. On top of that, Ms Truss's wit is in a class of its own! There are lots of literary examples of certain wr ...more
☼♄Jülie
Aug 04, 2015 ☼♄Jülie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books

I have had this little book for many years now and although I don't profess to be an expert in it's teachings, I do still get it out from time to time for a little brush up.
It is surprisingly funny with its many references to grammatical errors. Most certainly recommended for anyone interested in brushing up on their grammar...or just for fun...because it is a lot of fun! ;)

julio
Aug 19, 2013 julio marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
a snootily superior screed on the importance of proper punctuation misspells the word 'pedants' in the blurb.

let the headdeskery begin.
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 Danger Kallisti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are really good at English and frustrated, and those who suck terribly and need pointers.
Recommended to Danger by: Mike
Amusing. Pretentious. British. It shook my confidence, until I realized that I knew all of this from the get-go, and have intentionally been ignoring it for the sake of art. I write like I think, and I think in text. Defying convention has always been my strong point, after all.
Even then, I think I do a better job at writing in English as it is meant to be written than most people, and I can’t deny that it was gratifying to read a book by someone even more hung up on the finer points of languag
Jonathan
Feb 08, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this last year and as someone who loves words - and punctuation; it was both amusing and informative, in fact I'm making several purposeful mistakes here as I tell you all about how interesting this book was... Yes I really enjoyed this book: and it's insight into the proper use of punctuation! I learnt many things as you can no doubt see from here.

To be serious I must say that this book was enjoyable first and foremost. Secondly this humorous little volume explored a little of the histo
Cecily
Truss' tongue-in-cheek style may not appeal to everyone and I don't agree with her about everything. In particular, "zero tolerance" makes punctuation an end in itself, rather than an aid to meaning, which seems back to front. It also makes no allowance for context and audience.

However, she gave punctuation and grammar a voice, and, however briefly, made people think about language, ambiguity and meaning, which is certainly good. Or it would be, if it didn't fuel the fire in the bellies of extr
Joey Comeau
Mar 10, 2012 Joey Comeau rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me angry. It is prescriptivist, which is fine, I guess. I mean - you've got to expect that from a grammar written for popular consumption. But what the author clearly thinks is charming snark just comes across as snideness, and it's impossible to tolerate from someone who clearly has no understanding of linguistics. I don't mind stupidity, but I HATE stupidity mixed with a superiority complex.
David
I have no idea why this book enjoyed the success that it did. It, bored, the pants, off, me frankly.
Jill
Dec 03, 2015 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grammar is very important. I genuinely believe that. As someone who adores the aesthetics of the written word -- choosing between a dash or parentheses makes every difference. I get irritated about incorrectly-punctuated academic work --- but oh god, creatively speaking, sometimes commas in the place of semi-colons or periods can be goddamn beautiful --------- and if you start a sentence with "And", I am liable to be putty in your pages.

This book is a light-hearted and informative take on gramma
Play Book Tag: Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Lynn Truss - 3 stars 8 15 May 01, 2016 02:37PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #3 Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss 1 4 Jan 13, 2015 08:59PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #13 Eats, Shoots & Leaves 3 3 Feb 08, 2014 11:26AM
Alternate Character comment? 5 49 Dec 01, 2013 08:32AM
Do you understand? 13 63 Sep 11, 2013 06:59AM
Grammar Mavens 13 166 Dec 03, 2012 04:45AM
  • The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed
  • Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--And How to Avoid Them
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them—A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide
  • The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide To Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
  • Telling Lies for Fun & Profit
  • No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • The Stories of English
Lynne Truss is a writer and journalist who started out as a literary editor with a blue pencil and then got sidetracked. The author of three novels and numerous radio comedy dramas, she spent six years as the television critic of The Times of London, followed by four (rather peculiar) years as a sports columnist for the same newspaper. She won Columnist of the Year for her work for Women's Journal ...more
More about Lynne Truss...

“A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife annual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda," he says, at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.”
106 likes
“Thurber was asked by a correspondent: "Why did you have a comma in the sentence, 'After dinner, the men went into the living-room'?" And his answer was probably one of the loveliest things ever said about punctuation. "This particular comma," Thurber explained, "was Ross's way of giving the men time to push back their chairs and stand up.” 78 likes