Start by marking “Do It Gorgeously: How to Make Less Toxic, Less Expensive, and More Beautiful Products” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  26 reviews
It's official: In these tough times, clueless is out--and crafty is in. For both financial and environmental reasons, life is all about doing well with what you have. But that doesn't mean you can't still be fabulous. Do It Gorgeously shows you how to make nearly everything you would otherwise purchase: From the kitchen to the nursery, from your medicine cabinet to your ma ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Hyperion (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Do It Gorgeously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do It Gorgeously

I didn't read her first book (and probably won't), so if the 2nd book built on anything, I missed it. Basically, this books is a green primer. She covers all kinds of things - motherhood, natural beauty products, fitness, food, home improvement - explaining the basics of all of them. The main thing she does different is that she doesn't really embrace the hippie-aspects of the green lifestyle (though the idea that you can't be glamorous and frugal or green isn't exactly new). The voice she write ...more
Didi Delighted
I stumbled upon this book at the library while seeking another book located in the same section. I was immediately attracted to the cover, and decided to check it out. (Yeah, I judge a book by its cover sometimes) This is a very good collection of how to's for all kinds of household things including: beauty products, cleaning products, a garment here and there, baby food, herbal medicinal remedies, etc. We live in a toxic chemical free home, and I love DIY projects, so I wanted to love love love ...more
Victoria Klein
“Clueless is out and Crafty is in,” says Sophie Uliano. I couldn’t agree more!

The concept of DIY (do-it-yourself) hasn’t been this popular since DIY was our only option (and we all still lived on farms … etc.). With rising environmental concerns & money woes, learning how to be even mildly self-sufficient is more chic than ever.

Author of the popular Gorgeously Green and The Gorgeously Green Diet, Sophie Uliano is back with her 3rd book, titled Do It Gorgeously: How to Make Less Toxic, Less E
T.L. Cooper
Do It Gorgeously by Sophie Uliano is a well written and interesting guide to taking on projects instead of buying more or hiring someone else to do them. She focuses on re-purposing as well as making a variety of self-care products one's self. I'm intrigued by the self-care products and may give a few a try; however, I'm not so sure that some of them are even necessary once one moves away from using all the chemical products. As for some of the other projects, I'm not likely to do them simply be ...more
Suzanne
Do It Gorgeously talked at length about the unhealthiness of commercial beauty products and recommended making your own with other ingredients...WITH NO RESEARCH CITATIONS OR REFERENCES TO SUPPORT ANY OF THE CLAIMS. No bibliography, no related resources, only a shopping list at the end. Very poor.

Why should I take Uliano's word that her recipes are better for face creams when her claims have no backup whatsoever? Even references to an article, a supporting book, a website, SOMETHING that gave s
Robin
A good primer for anyone looking to "green" their lifestyle and save money at the same time. This book is a how-to manual with recipes for homemade personal care products and homemade cleaning products, as well as tips for adapting a more frugal homemade lifestyle (ex. how to sew a hole in a shirt, how to start a garden.) I didn't learn anything new from this book, but if you are totally new to non-toxic homemade products for home and body, this is a great starter book.
Julie Stevenson
Quick and dirty guide to DIY skin care and home care, some gardening tips, dog and cat care, even throws in some basic home exercise moves. It has a bunch of all-over-the-board ideas, which makes it a fun read but also leaves me feeling like I could stand to further investigate some of the DIY ideas in here. Really encourages the reader to think about all of the ways you can make ordinary household items yourself. I am looking forward to trying some of her ideas!
Nancy
Wow. Exhibit A that optimism exists. There is a publisher who thinks people want to read about making extravagantly simple and complicated things (like glue and soil) without full color photographs.
Also: in the gardening section, the author suggests buying a kit (she gives website) that includes a container and some seeds. (Why do I torture myself with these books?) (*I* am exhibit A of optimism.)
Jillian
I bought Uliano's first book and checked the second one out at the library, so I had to read this. This author literally changed the way I think about the environment and my day-to-day life. I loved the chapters on DIY beauty products, sewing projects and gardening. The rest were a mostly overlap from her previous two books but there was enough fresh info. here that I'm glad I bought this.
Cassie ♥
So many ideas!!! I started to write a chapter by chapter review, but I would recommend borrowing from the library!!
Cammie
I am IN-LOVE with this cute little book. I checked it out at the library, but am deeply considering a purchase. As an individual with serious allergies and a desire to be as green as possible, she has lots of solutions to help my life. Case-in-point: Organic, minimal ingredient, lotion that I can make at home for a fraction of the cost. AWESOME.
Nicole
Borrowed from the library, I was getting close to the due date when I decided to sit down and read. Glad I did! Fantastic for completely clean (no additives at all) skincare product recipes. Just skimmed the rest of the book, not as useful to me personally, but inspiring for creating a nontoxic, naturally minded household.
Hazel
I've tried some of the recipes in this book & I must say they really work! Even the recipe for all natural deodorant, which I was really skeptical about. But it does work wonderfully & I'm relieved to have fewer toxic chemicals in my body since most conventional products are chock full of carcinogens.
Andie
It's a good book, but a lot of the stuff in it are not things that I can do right now. I love essential oils, but I can't afford to buy multiple scents to have what I need to make my own makeup and cleaning products. Someday, I hope to be able to do this, but for now I just can't afford it.
Emma Kalmbach
I enjoyed reading the book because it provides inspiration to rethink what you have and re-use it and how to make your own cleaning and beauty products. A lot was very basic, as in how to sew, but I like randomly looking through the book and learning something new.
Sasha Rose Clifton Oxnard
this literally tells you how to make anything yourself - from sunscreen to kitty litter and most things in between. not a very aesthetically pleasing book but AWESOME advice. going to have to buy a copy for myself since this was from the library.
Latasha
I thought this would be a book about beauty products, but it turned into more of a housewife DIY book. Some interesting sewing templates which I didn't expect, some good recipes for green beauty products as well.
Soapykitty
I don't love or hate this book.It's got some nice tips and cute projects but I just don't care for it that much.Before I return it to the library I'm going to make the draft blocker for the door.
Mandy
Some good recipes for natural household cleaners, but let's face it I will never do half the things in this book. Pitch all my non-BPA-free plastics? Am I made out of money?
Erica
Would have liked more cosmetics/skin care items and less complicated recipes. Many sections were irrelevant to me. Not quite what I was looking for.
Rae Hulbert
Great recipes so far...a must-have if you are interested in making your own products from scratch! And non-toxic ones at that!
Wren
The only part in this book that was new to me were the sections on making your own beauty products- which I'd love to try.
Anna
Some nice recipes, but a lot of the information I didn't really find useful. I mean making your own glue!!
Amy
Fantastic stuff in here... can't wait to dust off the sewing machine!
Ruth Glen
I made my own laundry soap.
Julie Whitaker
Julie Whitaker marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
  • UnDiet: Break All the Rules, Have Tons of Fun, and Cleanse the Clutter for an Abundantly Vibrant Life
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
  • Simply Sublime Bags: 30 No-Sew, Low-Sew Projects
  • The Gentle Art Of Domesticity
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, Rinses, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • The Conscious Kitchen: The New Way to Buy and Cook Food - to Protect the Earth, Improve Your Health, and Eat Deliciously
  • The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Built by Wendy Dresses: The Sew U Guide to Making a Girl's Best Frock
  • Restore. Recycle. Repurpose.: Create a Beautiful Home
Environmental guru Sophie Uliano presents GORGEOUSLY GREEN, the modern girl's guide to living in sustainable style."
More about Sophie Uliano...
Gorgeously Green The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green Gorgeous for Good: A Simple 30-Day Program for Lasting  Beauty – Inside and Out