Start by marking “Gilded Lily: Lily Safra: The Making of One of the World's Wealthiest Widows” as Want to Read:
Gilded Lily: Lily Safra: The Making of One of the World's Wealthiest Widows

Gilded Lily: Lily Safra: The Making of One of the World's Wealthiest Widows

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The mesmerizing biography of one of the world's richest, most intriguing women—philanthropist and socialite Lily Safra

In the early morning of December 3, 1999, Lily Safra stood shivering in her nightgown on the grounds outside her sumptuous Monte Carlo penthouse where, just hours before, her fourth husband, reclusive billionaire Edmond Safra, died in a fire. An American nu
Published June 29th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Gilded Lily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilded Lily

Ashley
Fascinating story, but the writing was so flat and sucked much of the excitement and intrigue out of it.

Vincent had such rich (I couldn't resist!) material to work with here - the rags to riches story of Lily, FOUR husbands, TWO suspicious deaths, boat loads of money, family drama and mistrust, several accidents to family members that lent a Kennedy-esque feel to the whole thing, luxe parties on multiple continents - and I found myself feeling bored at times with this book.
Louise
The world may never know the truth of the mysterious deaths of Lily Safra's second and fourth husbands. For this book, Isabelle Vincent has assembled a large amount of material which helps the reader understand the facts and the legalities of both. Given the difficulty of even delivering a summons to this elusive widow, given her army of attorneys and experts, the question will remain open, perhaps forever.

Even if the Lily Safra is innocent of both deaths, she is no innocent. There are many peop
Ellanor
total trash couldn't resist-disappointed-good enough read but for all her research, I didn't really get much more than I had read in the papers, no conclusions-what do people think really happened-suggestions she has been shunned but all too oblique-need more-little about the children still living and too few recent pictures and too many of Benhadan. Vincent clearly has spent a tremendous amount of time doing research in the Brazilian courts, but I wonder if that was time well spent-
Sam
I'm not sure how to rate this. It's well-researched and Safra's story is undeniably a fascinating one, but the book reads like it was heavily edited by lawyers before publication. With that said, it's well-done and worth reading if you don't know the truly unbelievable story of Lily Safra.
DJ
As a Vanity Fair - Dominick Dunne junkie, I have always wondered about the mysterious Edmond and Lily Safra. The book is well-written and provides as much information as was possible to get about someone as discreet as Edmond Safra. A fast read. I enjoyed it tremendously and came away feeling very sad for Lily's children.
Theresa Taylor
This was an interesting read and certainly had me questioning what truly happened when her last husband died.
Anne
Easy, juicy read. Perfect for vacation.
Sherene
Sherene marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Clodi
Clodi marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Jenny Polonsky
Jenny Polonsky marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Herb
Herb added it
Aug 21, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Rena
Rena is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Brannon Boswell
Brannon Boswell marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Alexandre
Alexandre marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 04, 2014
Alex Pechman
Alex Pechman marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Rebecca Craig
Rebecca Craig marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bodies and Souls: The Tragic Plight of Three Jewish Women Forced into Prostitution in the Americas Hitler's Silent Partners: Swiss Banks, Nazi Gold, And The Pursuit Of Justice Gilded Lily: Lily Safra: The Making of One of the World's Wealthiest Widows See No Evil: The Strange Case of Christine Lamont and David Spencer Hitler's Silent Partners