Start by marking “A Few Good Women: America's Military Women from World War I to the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In this riveting narrative history, women veterans from the world wars, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and Iraq tell their extraordinary stories.

Evelyn M. Monahan and Rosemary Neidel-Greenlee spent fifteen years combing through archives, journals, histories, and news reports, and gathering thousands of eyewitness accounts, letters, and interviews for this unprecedente
Published April 6th 2010 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Good Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Good Women

San
Jul 07, 2010 San rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For WW II enthusiasts, this book gives us a good idea of the rest of the story. The authors are to be commended for their extensive research and the many first person interviews. You will learn things you have never heard before no matter how much you have read about WW II.
Shaynipper
As a former USAR member, I did find some of the information interesting. I share many of the authors sentiments about the military as it is today.
Allison
Mar 05, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book as a great tool for knowledge of women in the US armed forces. It was easy and interesting to read. There are a couple criticisms I have, however: the later wars are kinda skimped on, there is too little discussion of women in the later wars, and someone obviously lost interest and stopped proofing by the last part of the text. Though I largely agree with what the authors have to say at the end, I feel it was preachy and sloppy. I want to know more about how women are ...more
Ann-Marie
Oct 14, 2010 Ann-Marie rated it did not like it
I started reading this book because during the Vietnam war several of my nursing school friends joined the army and because I had the opportunity to work at several VA Hospitals. I also have an interest in how women move forward in professions that normally are male dominated.

I was disappointed in this book because, although it is factually accurate, it is such dull reading that it ought to be listed as a reference book rather than a book one would want to read from cover to cover. The stories
Jessica
Apr 02, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The problems begin with the lack of a table of contents, symbolic of the overall lack of structure and organization (although the authors are not professional historians, the editor should have addressed this larger coherence issue). The reader is left to meander through the book on their own. While it has potential (mainly the interviews) and the story of military women is one that needs to be told, this book is exceedingly frustrating to use and lacks historical chronology and context.
Tiffany
Apr 22, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The amount of history is amazing. To think of what women did only 60+ years ago and the crap we're still having to deal with in 2012, I am so very great full for those first women broke down the barriers so we could have success today!
On the flip side the book isn't organized too well and the chapters should have had the dates or at least have been separated by war period time frames.
Meredith
I wanted this to be good. Such a shame that it's not. A disorganized mess.
Terra Ingersoll
Would be better without all the political comments at the end
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Anne Eggebroten
Anne Eggebroten marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Melissa Dishong
Melissa Dishong marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Alyx
Alyx rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
SA
SA marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Reilly Kissinger
Reilly Kissinger rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Jackieinthebox
Jackieinthebox rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Molly S
Molly S marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Susan Simmers
Susan Simmers rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Mackenzie Waterston
Mackenzie Waterston marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Ron Luty
Ron Luty marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016