Start by marking “A Few Good Women: America's Military Women from World War I to the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In this riveting narrative history, women veterans from the world wars, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and Iraq tell their extraordinary stories.

Evelyn M. Monahan and Rosemary Neidel-Greenlee spent fifteen years combing through archives, journals, histories, and news reports, and gathering thousands of eyewitness accounts, letters, and interviews for this unprecedente
Published April 6th 2010 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Good Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Good Women

For WW II enthusiasts, this book gives us a good idea of the rest of the story. The authors are to be commended for their extensive research and the many first person interviews. You will learn things you have never heard before no matter how much you have read about WW II.
As a former USAR member, I did find some of the information interesting. I share many of the authors sentiments about the military as it is today.
I really enjoyed this book as a great tool for knowledge of women in the US armed forces. It was easy and interesting to read. There are a couple criticisms I have, however: the later wars are kinda skimped on, there is too little discussion of women in the later wars, and someone obviously lost interest and stopped proofing by the last part of the text. Though I largely agree with what the authors have to say at the end, I feel it was preachy and sloppy. I want to know more about how women are ...more
I started reading this book because during the Vietnam war several of my nursing school friends joined the army and because I had the opportunity to work at several VA Hospitals. I also have an interest in how women move forward in professions that normally are male dominated.

I was disappointed in this book because, although it is factually accurate, it is such dull reading that it ought to be listed as a reference book rather than a book one would want to read from cover to cover. The stories
The problems begin with the lack of a table of contents, symbolic of the overall lack of structure and organization (although the authors are not professional historians, the editor should have addressed this larger coherence issue). The reader is left to meander through the book on their own. While it has potential (mainly the interviews) and the story of military women is one that needs to be told, this book is exceedingly frustrating to use and lacks historical chronology and context.
The amount of history is amazing. To think of what women did only 60+ years ago and the crap we're still having to deal with in 2012, I am so very great full for those first women broke down the barriers so we could have success today!
On the flip side the book isn't organized too well and the chapters should have had the dates or at least have been separated by war period time frames.
I wanted this to be good. Such a shame that it's not. A disorganized mess.
Terra Ingersoll
Would be better without all the political comments at the end
Christine is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Carolyn is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2015
Lyn Lethe
Lyn Lethe marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
zelma shipley
zelma shipley marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Krysten marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Suzie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Tegan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Tegan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Nikki Howard
Nikki Howard marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Jen is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kate is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Victoria Boldi
Victoria Boldi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Chimaine marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015