Start by marking “Different Learners: Identifying, Preventing, and Treating Your Child's Learning Problems” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

"My child is having trouble in school.

What should I do?"

When parents are told that their child is having difficulty in school, they often don’t know where to turn for reliable information and advice. They may be confused by conflicting claims of "cures" or may mistakenly think that, because some learning problems are genetically based, they can do nothing to help. Even

Published April 13th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Different Learners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Different Learners

Kathy Bowman
May 06, 2011 Kathy Bowman rated it liked it
A fairly informative and easy-to-read book about kids with "alternative" learning styles. I've read enough about this subject that this book didn't really add a whole lot to my outlook, but there were some good nuggets for me to think about. It was fairly practical, but again, I feel like I've done a lot of her suggestions. I did find myself taking notes about books she referenced that might be worthwhile reading.
Kerry
Sep 24, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 7, non-fiction, 2010
A good overview of learning issues facing children today. I don't know that I learned anything desperately new about our situation with Marcus, but it helped me feel we're following the right course for now and that, all in all, we've done the basics for him to give him a good foundation. Since that's something I worry about, it's good to feel like we're aren't failing him terribly.
Jessica
Jan 13, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I really liked reading this book, even though it was mostly for my class on child development. I really would love to buy it to add to my reference collection for when I become a teacher. :)
Nicole
May 12, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I liked the main message of this book: That all children are "uneven" in that they have different talents, strengths, weaknesses, etc., and that simply chalking up their potential to nature OR nurture is damaging since both have influence over a child's learning. Unfortunately, many children are left with a "standardized" education that is a "one size fits all" model, and therefore "different learners" are often written off as "disordered."

However, there were many assertions here that
Laurie
Jul 09, 2013 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Key quotes (just a sampling of what I highlighted):
Back in the twelfth century, a poet and philosopher named Hildegard of Bingen came up with a metaphor that remains relevant today. At birth, each child comes equipped with a golden tent of creative potential all folded up inside. It is the task of the individual, throughout life, to unfold that tent—and to the adults in each child’s life to assist that process. Nine centuries later, I seriously wonder, how well are we doing?
4 months ago
Qu
Aimee
Feb 27, 2011 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I didn't actually finish this book, I read the first few chapters and then skimmed the rest. Although I could relate to some things, I kept running up against the idea that many "problems" are only problems in the framework of school. If my kid had gone to school, she would have been labeled a delayed reader, but what's delayed? Who decides? She learned when she was ready and now she reads great and there was no "delay."

But then, that's just my kid and her "problems" are pretty mild. This is a
Jun
Aug 15, 2015 Jun added it
Shelves: parenting
This book caught my eyes on the library shelf because my research focus was on learning styles and learner differences when I was in academia. I want to know what has been updated since I left grad school, especially with children - I have never heard so many cases of learning disabilities in the old days.

My two kids are doing very well in school, but knowing what could be wrong will help me to catch any alarming signs before it becomes a real problem. Preventing is always easier than repairing.
Liz
Sep 02, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing
I like all of Healy's work (especially since she takes into account the diet, family situation, media use of a child) with regards to learning differences. She gives a lot of practical recommendations and there is a lengthy discussion about brain development. This is a good book to read early - before any learning difficulties come up. Many of her recommendations are preventative measures.
Victoria
Nov 01, 2015 Victoria rated it liked it
Read for November's Parenting by the Book - Very interesting. Well researched. While it addressed learning disabilities in one chapter, it offered explanations and solutions to learning problems all students encounter, making it a great read for all parents.
Vilo
Oct 31, 2012 Vilo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, psychology
Excellent overview of learning differences and how to create an environment that helps your child's brain develop rather than assault it. Some pretty pointed studies about how misuse/overuse of media can interfere with learning.
Konnie
May 13, 2012 Konnie rated it liked it
This book was okay. Most of the information was basic information that I already knew. However, this is because of my educational background. For the average parent or teacher without an ESE degree this book would be more useful.
Danielle
Nov 13, 2012 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism
Meh....good if you only "suspect" your child has a disability or you're an educator with little knowledge of disabilities, but if you already know everything about your child's differences, pass
Melissa
Oct 21, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
a must read for all parents and educators - very easy to read and packed with information!
Nancy
Mar 30, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Checking out other books by the same author.
Mindy
Mar 26, 2010 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
Reviewed for Library Journal
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 14, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Veronica Suhajda
Veronica Suhajda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Bronsen K. Kawewehi
Bronsen K. Kawewehi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Đức Thịnh
Đức Thịnh rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jul 18, 2016
Kj
Kj rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Kimberly Monson
Kimberly Monson marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Laila
Laila marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Honey Desapio
Honey Desapio rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • Smart Parenting for Smart Kids: Nurturing Your Child's True Potential
  • Fun on the Run!: 324 Instant Family Activities
  • No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years into Cherished Moments with Your Kids
  • Playful Learning: Develop Your Child's Sense of Joy and Wonder
  • Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids
  • Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn--and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less
  • Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All in Your Head
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • Raising a Thinking Child
  • The Secret of Parenting: How to Be in Charge of Today's Kids--from Toddlers to Preteens--Without Threats or Punishment
  • Shut Up About...Your Perfect Kid!
  • The Write Start: A Guide to Nurturing Writing at Every Stage, from Scribbling to Forming Letters and Writing Stories
  • Redirecting Children's Behavior