Start by marking “The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice Series #5)” as Want to Read:
The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice Series #5)

The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice #5)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  44,223 Ratings  ·  1,301 Reviews
Will’s first adventure as a full-fledged Ranger!

Time has passed since the apprentice and his master, Will and Halt, led the Araluens to victory against invaders, and Will is now a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems sleepy -- boring, even -- until the Skandians show up and Will has to deal with the threat. Shortly thereafter, Will goes on a
Published July 20th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorcerer of the North, please sign up.

Asteropê Someone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the…moreSomeone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the official, publication listing, which puts them as such:

5. The Sorcerer in the North (2006)
6. The Siege of Macindaw (2009)
7. Erak's Ransom (2006)

Series can have listing that differ, to account for chronological story-lines, but as far as I know, the main, official series list should follow the official, publication order.(less)
Elaine Isn't this after his apprenticeship, which would make him 21?

Rachel Lightwood
Contains mild spoilers for this book and the prequels.

The Sorcerer in the North was, unfortunately, my least favourite of the series and probably the weakest sequel too. I was a little irritated by the beginning as it was set an entire five years after the events of The Battle for Skandia. but once I got used to an older will and the surrpisngly obvious lack of both Halt and Horace, it wasn't so bad... until we got pulled away from the new situation - again - and thrust into this new world of cl
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5), John Flanagan
عنوان: جادوگر شمال - جنگاوران جوان کتاب پنجم؛ نویسنده: جان فلنگان؛ مترجم: مسعود ملکیاری؛ ویراستار: احمد پورامینی؛ تهران، افق، 1393، در 380 ص؛ نقشه، شابک: 9786003530355؛ موضوع: داستانهان کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
Brianne
Feb 15, 2009 Brianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, teen, new-world
Kathleen
Jan 31, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. One of the best in the series. Audio is superbly narrated by William Zappa, but I didn't care for the musical intrusions after each chapter.

However, the story is good. Moving at a fast pace, it feels like an adventurous alternative history set in a re-named England (Araluen), in the days of kings, knights, castles, and fiefdoms. No elves. No dragons.

Recurring key characters from prior series include Will the ranger and Alyss the courier diplomat (both are now adults, not apprentices
Samantha
Jan 28, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better and better. I was a little nervous when there was a several years jump in-between this book and the last, and there were a few things that were glossed over in this jump (romance) that I wish I had gotten to explore with the characters, but I still enjoyed this book very much.

Will is finally a full Ranger, and is out on his own. While most of his growth happened in books 1-4, it is easy to see how much more he has improved in the skip of a few years, and his
Rivka Ray
WHAT? These books have had cliff hangers before, but this is the worst one yet!!

I read Erak's Ransom before I read this one, and I'm glad I did. Reading the stories chronologically gives them a better flow.

This book was really good, but I liked some of the other stories better. The pacing of this book is on the slow side, and the mystery is not quite as interesting. I missed the supporting characters too. I'm hoping we will see more of them in the next book. One thing I found really unb
Braden Bell
Jul 31, 2010 Braden Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of this series, but I felt that Flanagan started doing some great things in this book. It's Will's first adventure alone, and I was happy to see an increased role for Alyss. Flanagan has found a way, in my opinion, to credibly give his female characters important things to do in the context of a medieval world.

This book had some themes I think are especially important for adolescents to read--being popular vs. being good, the idea of appearances and making judgments on those appearanc
Tricia Mingerink
Jan 10, 2017 Tricia Mingerink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book, but not as much as some of the others ones. Maybe because Halt isn't in it as much? All he does is bum around with Crowley (as far as the reader can tell). Which probably got terribly annoying to Crowley.

But it is neat to see Will learn to do things on his own.
C.B. Cook
Oct 12, 2016 C.B. Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a note: I'm updating my progress in this series, but since I'm behind and it's been a while since I've read these, I'm not going to do a review of each book. After I finish 7/8 I might do a review of those. :)
Dan
Feb 20, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure, 2016
Very enjoyable.
Michael Bates
Mar 26, 2017 Michael Bates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Plot-4 Stars
Characters-4.5 Stars
Setting-3 Stars

This book does nothing new but what it does do, it does well. The characters are the best part of the book. The plot can sometimes drag on into another book but it's still a good plot. The last couple of books in this series have been funnier. The settings still though disappoint me as well as the creatures. I was hoping for something new. Instead like the Races and cultures, it's all borrowed from Earth.
Would I read the next in the series? Yes. En
Ashrakat Deyab
Once you're really into this book, you can't stop reading. The only problem was that, for me at least, the first half didn't really grab my interest. It was quite boring, what with all the details and half of the book talking solely about Will's to-be mission. I wanted to get to the mission and once I did, I couldn't put the book down.

What I liked most about the novel was the element of mystery. In most of Flanagan's other books, the antagonist and protagonist are both clear as daylight, but in
Tamora Pierce
Nov 10, 2008 Tamora Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Tamora by: I like the series
warning: cliff-hanger ending!
Andrew
Jan 15, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This has been my favorite book in the series, so far.

Will finally settles in
But that's not the end
Now there's a sorcerer from the North
And he needs to find the source
Caisee//
So, since Horace is now roughly my age I can add him to my fictional boyfriends shelf, Hahah (◍•ᴗ•◍)♡ ✧* !!! Also, so far this cover is my favourite and I absolutely adore this series!!!!
Natalie
Mar 05, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This takes place several years after the fourth book. Will is a new member f the Ranger’s Corps and has just become one of the fifty full-fledged Rangers of Araluen. Will has just received his first commission and the fief that he will be assigned to—Seacliff. It’s supposed to be really nice, quaint, quiet, nothing to crazy or dangerous. Afterall, he’s now the youngest Ranger in the Corps and this is his first fief. Life at Seacliff is much different from the life that Will Treaty is used to—he ...more
Evan
Aug 17, 2012 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really a great addition to the Ranger's Apprentice series.
I am a fan of this series, as it includes a large amount of adventure, wit and great characters. For those who haven't read the series yet, I advise you do.
This is the first book in the series where Will is finished his apprenticeship. When Lord Syron of the Norgate Fief in Hibernia is struck by a mysterious illness, Will, Tug, his new dog, and his friend/lover Alyss are called in to figure out what is ailing the Lord of No
Trisha
Dec 15, 2011 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Short and Sweet of It
Will finally is set off on his own, but not to fight the straightforward, frontal assault enemies of the past. This time he is up against a legend, an elusive sorcerer rumored to be poisoning the king of a northern fief, a land integral to the protection of the whole kingdom.

A Bit of a Ramble
As with all of the Ranger's Apprentice books, I loved the characters, the battle tactics, the weaving of plot lines, and the setting. Seeing Will strike out on his own was almost poi
Alex
Oct 26, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garrett Longman
Oct 09, 2014 Garrett Longman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan is truly one of the best series I've read so far in the world of reading. This is one of those books where you are just so compelled to keep on reading. I'm not a huge bookworm most of the time, but these books are incredible!

The series takes place in a vast land of kingdoms, battles, and sorcery. Will is centered in Sea Cliff fief temporarily until he is sent to the Northern lands as a jongluer. It is foretold that sorcery is about and a small cast
C
Dec 03, 2010 C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving these books... they just get better and better. The characters are growing into wonderful people I truly enjoy reading about. This is the book I'm having to make myself put down to continue on with the "adult" fantasy novel of a gazillion pages. I love that the young adult book with a couple hundred pages and no overabundance of text, is the more immersive and believable of the two.

Edit - finished it yesterday over my breakfast. :) They're quick reads & it was easy to guess what w
Kayla Loewen
Oct 17, 2013 Kayla Loewen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
In the past,I always considered this book to be a bit of a bore; I'm not sure why I ever thought that!
The story line is good, and it's exciting to read about Will on his first mission! I love the way he turned out. Well, with Halt as your teacher I suppose it would be near impossible to become anything but one of the best!
I really like the character Malcolm, and all the people that live with him in the Healer's Clearing.
I especially love the fact that Alyss became involved in the plot, and that
Connor
Mar 10, 2014 Connor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This is a really fast read and I enjoyed it, but in comparison to the other books in the series that I've read so far, it wasn't as great in terms of plot and unpredictability. I'm sure the next book will be awesome though.
Lexie
Jun 25, 2015 Lexie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9/10. I loved this one in the series it was great! Not quite worthy of a 10/10 rating but very close. Action packed, well built and suspenseful plot and loved the characters as always. Again awesome writing style. Loved this book. My second favourite in the series!
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
Well...this skips a lot since the last time we saw Will and Halt!!! Will was now a full-time ranger!!! He completed the training!!! Yeah!!! (Of course he would! He was the best ranger of all time...umm...as good as Halt!) now we're starting the fifth book! Ready for his first mission and his first fief? Look down below!
Ahh!!! I'm so anticipate introducing this book with you! And why? Because I can know fully talk about Alyss!!! One of my favorite characters in the book!!! However, we mustn't f
Laurel
Jan 15, 2017 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in a series I absolutely love! Will lives in the land of Aruelen, and is a ranger. Rangers are specially trained to be like detectives and protect the country. These books outline his adventures in a complicated and interesting plot.

Will has finally graduated from being an apprentice, and gets his own territory. The ranger has barely settled in, when he gets called to go up north on a special mission. He goes undercover as a jongleur, to try to figure out mysterious rumors
Justin
Mar 12, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The review for this book has me in a pickle. On the one hand, this one probably had more humor in it. At least I laughed and chuckled more than in the last few Rangers Apprentice books. On the other hand I hate Strongly dislike solid cliff-hanger endings in novels. I have no problem with story continuation and such, I dislike Major plot points being left unfinished. The Sorcerer in the North did that more so than John Flanagan's other Rangers novels had.

I liked the beginning the best I think. He
Williamfisher
Aug 28, 2013 Williamfisher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1

Have you ever had to face fears that you don’t even understand. Have you ever had to save the one you love. Well Rangers Apprentice Sorcerer of the North has all that, sadly it falls short of other books in the series. If you’ve read the other four books in the series which I’m assuming you have. This book doesn’t lead up to my standards set by the other books in this great series. This book is reading to continue the series but it will leave you with questions answered in book six.
Will, must br
Mark Soone
Jan 05, 2012 Mark Soone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is as bad as book 2, where it ends almost in the middle of a scene and certainly in the middle of a story...there is no resolution and it is driving me nuts!!!! I have a hold on the next book...but I don't want to wait....Curse John Flanagan.

At first I was disappointed that there seems to be a gap of a few years between the previous book and this one (I still feel deprived of those lost years/event). Will has now emerged as a full fledged Ranger with his own fife, and is clearly the lone ma
Mike (the Paladin)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Rowan and the Travelers (Rowan of Rin, #2)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Nest of Serpents (Wereworld, #4)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • The Soldiers of Halla (Pendragon, #10)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • Found (Magic Thief, #3)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)

“You had this young man with you for... what, six years?"
Halt shrugged. "Near enough," he replied.
"And did you ever understand a word he was saying?"
"Not a lot of the time, no," Halt said.
Crowley shook his head in wonder. "It's just as well he didn't go into the Diplomatic Service. We'd be at war with half a dozen countries by now if he was on the loose."
Will drew a deep breath to begin talking. He noticed that both men took an involuntary half step backward and he decided he'd better try to keep it as simple as possible.”
88 likes
“I circled the site before I came in. If there's anyone within five kilometers, I'll eat my quiver."
Halt regarded him, eyebrow arched once more. "Anyone?"
"Anyone other than Crowley," Will amended, making a dismissive gesture. "I saw him watching me from that hide he always uses about two kilometers out. I assumed he'd be back in here by now."
Halt cleared his throat loudly. "Oh, you saw him, did you?" he said. "I imagine he'll be overjoyed to hear that." Secretly, he was pleased with his former pupil. In spite of his curiosity and obvious excitement, he hadn't forgotten to take the precautions that had been drilled into him. THat augured well for what lay ahead, Halt thought, a sudden grimness settling onto his manner.
Will didn't notice the momentary change of mood. He was loosening Tug
saddle girth. As he spoke, his voice was muffled against the horses's flank. "he's becoming too much a creature of habit," he said. "he's used that hide for the last three Gatherings. It's time he tried something new. Everyone must be onto it by now."
Rangers constantly competed with each other to see before being seen and each year's Gathering was a time of heightened competition. Halt nodded thoughtfully. Crowley had constructed teh virtually invisible observation post some four years previously. Alone among the younger Rangers, Will had tumbled to it after one year. Halt had never mentioned to him that he was the only one who knew of Crowley's hide. The concealed post was the Ranger Commandant's pride and joy.
"Well, perhaps not everyone," he said. Will emerged from behind his horse, grinning at the thought of the head of the Ranger Corps thinking he had remained hidden from sight as he watched Will's approach.
"All the same, perhaps he's getting a bit long in the tooth to be skulking around hiding in the bushes, don't you think?" he said cheerfully. Halt considered the question for a moment.

"Long in the tooth? Well, that's one opinion. Mind you, his silent movement skills are still as good as ever," he said meaningfully.
The grin on Will's face slowly faded. He resisted the temptation to look over his shoulder.
"He's standing behind me, isn't he?" he asked Halt. THe older Ranger nodded.
"He's standing behind me, isn't he?" Will continued and Halt nodded once more.
"Is he...close enough to have heard what I said?" Will finally managed to ask, fearin teh worst. This time, Halt didn't have to answer.
"Oh, good grief no," came a familiar voice from behind him. "he's so old and decrepit these days he's as deaf as a post."
Will's shoulders sagged and he turned to see the sandy-haired Commandant standing a few meters away.
The younger man's eyes dropped.
"Hullo, Crowley," he said, then mumbled, "Ahhh...I'm sorry about that."
Crowley glared at teh young Ranger for a few more seconds, then he couldn't help teh grin breaking out on his face.
"No harm done," he said, adding with a small note of triumph, "It's not often these days I amange to get the better of one of you young ones."
Secretly, he was impressed at teh news that Will had spotted his hiding place. Only the sarpest eyes could have picked it. Crowley had been in the business of seeing without being seen for thirty years or more, and despite what Will believed, he was still an absolute master of camouflage and unseen movement.”
54 likes