Start by marking “The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice Series #5)” as Want to Read:
The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice Series #5)

The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice #5)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  28,781 ratings  ·  939 reviews
Will’s first adventure as a full-fledged Ranger!

Time has passed since the apprentice and his master, Will and Halt, led the Araluens to victory against invaders, and Will is now a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems sleepy -- boring, even -- until the Skandians show up and Will has to deal with the threat. Shortly thereafter, Will goes on a
Published July 20th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorcerer of the North, please sign up.

Asteropê Someone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the…moreSomeone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the official, publication listing, which puts them as such:

5. The Sorcerer in the North (2006)
aka The Sorcerer of the North
6. The Siege of Macindaw (2009)
7. Erak's Ransom (2006)

Series can have listing that differ, to account for chronological story-lines, but as far as I know, the main, official series list should follow the official, publication order.(less)

Brianne
Samantha
This series just keeps getting better and better. I was a little nervous when there was a several years jump in-between this book and the last, and there were a few things that were glossed over in this jump (romance) that I wish I had gotten to explore with the characters, but I still enjoyed this book very much.

Will is finally a full Ranger, and is out on his own. While most of his growth happened in books 1-4, it is easy to see how much more he has improved in the skip of a few years, and his
Braden Bell
I'm a fan of this series, but I felt that Flanagan started doing some great things in this book. It's Will's first adventure alone, and I was happy to see an increased role for Alyss. Flanagan has found a way, in my opinion, to credibly give his female characters important things to do in the context of a medieval world.

This book had some themes I think are especially important for adolescents to read--being popular vs. being good, the idea of appearances and making judgments on those appearanc
Ashrakat Deyab
Once you're really into this book, you can't stop reading. The only problem was that, for me at least, the first half didn't really grab my interest. It was quite boring, what with all the details and half of the book talking solely about Will's to-be mission. I wanted to get to the mission and once I did, I couldn't put the book down.

What I liked most about the novel was the element of mystery. In most of Flanagan's other books, the antagonist and protagonist are both clear as daylight, but in
Andrew
This has been my favorite book in the series, so far.

Will finally settles in
But that's not the end
Now there's a sorcerer from the North
And he needs to find the source
Trisha
The Short and Sweet of It
Will finally is set off on his own, but not to fight the straightforward, frontal assault enemies of the past. This time he is up against a legend, an elusive sorcerer rumored to be poisoning the king of a northern fief, a land integral to the protection of the whole kingdom.

A Bit of a Ramble
As with all of the Ranger's Apprentice books, I loved the characters, the battle tactics, the weaving of plot lines, and the setting. Seeing Will strike out on his own was almost poi
C
I'm loving these books... they just get better and better. The characters are growing into wonderful people I truly enjoy reading about. This is the book I'm having to make myself put down to continue on with the "adult" fantasy novel of a gazillion pages. I love that the young adult book with a couple hundred pages and no overabundance of text, is the more immersive and believable of the two.

Edit - finished it yesterday over my breakfast. :) They're quick reads & it was easy to guess what w
Justin
The review for this book has me in a pickle. On the one hand, this one probably had more humor in it. At least I laughed and chuckled more than in the last few Rangers Apprentice books. On the other hand I hate Strongly dislike solid cliff-hanger endings in novels. I have no problem with story continuation and such, I dislike Major plot points being left unfinished. The Sorcerer in the North did that more so than John Flanagan's other Rangers novels had.

I liked the beginning the best I think. He
Ka Min
The fifth book of a successful series, John Flanagan keeps his readers going with "The Sorcerer of the North". This is the fifth book of the series "Ranger's Apprentice", but this time, it has been six years or so since the "Battle of Skandia", the fourth book. The main character, Will, is now an adult and a full fledged ranger. He gets missions from the Ranger's Corps, and recently Will has gotten a peculiar one. This peculiar mission was to investigate rumors of sorcerer's magic up in the nort ...more
Natalie
This takes place several years after the fourth book. Will is a new member f the Ranger’s Corps and has just become one of the fifty full-fledged Rangers of Araluen. Will has just received his first commission and the fief that he will be assigned to—Seacliff. It’s supposed to be really nice, quaint, quiet, nothing to crazy or dangerous. Afterall, he’s now the youngest Ranger in the Corps and this is his first fief. Life at Seacliff is much different from the life that Will Treaty is used to—he ...more
Mark Soone
This is as bad as book 2, where it ends almost in the middle of a scene and certainly in the middle of a story...there is no resolution and it is driving me nuts!!!! I have a hold on the next book...but I don't want to wait....Curse John Flanagan.

At first I was disappointed that there seems to be a gap of a few years between the previous book and this one (I still feel deprived of those lost years/event). Will has now emerged as a full fledged Ranger with his own fife, and is clearly the lone ma
Laurel
Williamfisher

Have you ever had to face fears that you don’t even understand. Have you ever had to save the one you love. Well Rangers Apprentice Sorcerer of the North has all that, sadly it falls short of other books in the series. If you’ve read the other four books in the series which I’m assuming you have. This book doesn’t lead up to my standards set by the other books in this great series. This book is reading to continue the series but it will leave you with questions answered in book six.
Will, must br
Evan
This book is really a great addition to the Ranger's Apprentice series.
I am a fan of this series, as it includes a large amount of adventure, wit and great characters. For those who haven't read the series yet, I advise you do.
This is the first book in the series where Will is finished his apprenticeship. When Lord Syron of the Norgate Fief in Hibernia is struck by a mysterious illness, Will, Tug, his new dog, and his friend/lover Alyss are called in to figure out what is ailing the Lord of No
Noelle
I got this book for Christmas, and when I did I was excited to read it; after all, it was on my "To-Read" book list. I had stopped reading the series for awhile, because of the fact that I didn't get a chance to get my hands on it. And now that I finished it, I now remember how good the series really is and why I instantly fell in love with it from Book 1.
As a lover of adventure, I felt this book had everything; lovable characters, a plot-line that was amazing and moved quickly, and most of all,
R.G.
i was truly let down by this book... after loving the others so much and blazing through the series... this was just terrible... this book which is 3 years after the last one has Will becoming the ranger of his own fife and all but he almost immediately get's taken from there... you don't even really get to learn about the place before he's going off on some secret mission... and i have to say the moment he steps foot in the northern castle i knew immediate what was going to happen... unlike the ...more
Alex
Editor's note: Upon reading the series, I've discovered the books are non-chronological. I'd suggest reading the series 1-2-3-4-7-5-6-8... So, if you've just finished book 4, read 7 before 5.

----

So, can you still call the series "The ranger's apprentice" when the main character is no longer an apprentice? and how many books are left? I guess it's like the new kids on the block (who are no longer new nor kids, just creepy men)...anyways,...

So, this book was some more fun literary candy. If I ques
Callee
This is now my new favorite book in the series! Loved it!!! Little bit of romance and comedy and just down right good mystery! There was even one part that i was reading at night and got totally scared! Again, love that the author is all about fast action and doesn't leave you in suspense too long. Although, I guess if I have to wait for the next book to come out I'd die bc this book ends in a major cliff hanger! Can't wait to get going on the next one since Horace comes back at the end of this ...more
Laura Hall
So excited to read the next one!
Garrett Longman
The Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan is truly one of the best series I've read so far in the world of reading. This is one of those books where you are just so compelled to keep on reading. I'm not a huge bookworm most of the time, but these books are incredible!

The series takes place in a vast land of kingdoms, battles, and sorcery. Will is centered in Sea Cliff fief temporarily until he is sent to the Northern lands as a jongluer. It is foretold that sorcery is about and a small cast
Eugenie Leung
I'm reading these books in chronological order in which the events happen, which means I read Book #7 before I delved into Book #5 and #6. For anyone else, I highly recommend you read in this order too.

The events which happen in #5 and #6 make up one big story arc so I won't be spending too much time on this book. I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't even stop to write this review before I went ahead and finished the following book.

Following Will's graduation from his apprenticeship,
Oliviablack
I'm going to be honest (and here I warn of spoilers so I don't have to censor myself) this was really quite disappointing after the level of character and adventure in the previous books of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I read the series in my school library and upon leaving that school bought 1-6 to re-read at any time. But really? They first adventure with Will truly discovering himself and being an apprentice was the best part of this, now rather lengthy, series.

Spoilers guys, last warning. Th
Gene
So far, I'm a fan of the Ranger's Apprentice series, but I feel like this book took a step backwards. The ending left me hanging which I absolutely hate. The previous book ended nicely, but this one leaves you really wondering what happens to one of the main characters. I get it - you want to be drawn to the next book. But I think it could have been handled better, without me feeling like so much is left unfinished.

The beginning starts with Will who has earned his silver Ranger's leaf. The way h
Sophie Muller
As always, I truly enjoyed this installment of the series the Ranger's Apprentice. Will has now his own fief and how he goes about dealing with his first issue just shows how experienced and clear-headed he has become. The crux of the story gives the front stage to another female character that we've encountered earlier in the series, and I truly appreciate how Flanagan gives space for each character to develop: Alyss is splendid has a light-headed lady! I also truly appreciate the life lessons ...more
Anne Freya
Wawww, lebih seru dari buku yg sebelumnya!! Ada adegan Will beraksi sebagai Spiderman segala, hahaha...XD Dan duhh cliffhanger-nya itu...bikin aku bersyukur krn bisa langsung terjun ke buku 6! XDD

Ceritanya, setelah 5 tahun berlalu sejak ia dianugerahi Oakleaf krn perannya dlm perang mengusir Temujai, sekarang Will resmi melaksanakan tugas Ranger secara individual, tdk ditemani oleh Halt lagi.
Dan di situlah menariknya, krn bisa melihat bagaimana Will beraksi sebagai Ranger tanpa bantuan Halt...
Ita
I am changing my rating system. Cliffhanger endings get one star.

This has a cliffhanger ending. One star. I should have stopped with the last book.

I like the main characters, but there isn't much nuance to the heroes or the villains. They're all noble, good folk or dastardly, evil, scheming blackguards.

Also, I'm getting annoyed with the "no I can't kill them in cold blood" attitude. Evil people who have murdered other people in cold blood *can* be killed. Really. Grow a pair. But I guess there'
Gerson
Will is now a full fledged Ranger which makes things more exciting because now he can take things in his own hands. Even though he's a full ranger he still young and has much to learn. In the book you learn more about Araluen history, people, and places. Also in the book Will is learning just how superstitious the people of Araluen are(which is very). At first when you learn what's going on it gets confusing which got me frustrated but in the end things are crystal clear.
Jessica
I liked this one a little more than its predecessor, but have the same gripes about predictability and shallow plot development. Now that I think of it, Will still seems like a little boy to me, and hasn't changed much from the first book. He's a bit more on his own, making some clever moves and things, but nothing that he hasn't been doing all along, for the most part. Evanlyn and Alyss are pretty much interchangeable; there's not much there except: strong, smart girl who is able to take care o ...more
Kathy Davie
Argh...he's done it again! Do not attempt to read this book without #6 close at hand!

Great story which makes use of Will's life-long skills and brings his particular friends into the fray. While demonstrating Will's skill at judgments, the story creates a nice bit of tension for Will, experiencing the other side of life from his Ranger one and providing yet another catastrophe-in-the-making. Only half of which is resolved before the story stops. Again, argh...
Marilyn
Jun 15, 2009 Marilyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th - 9th grade, especially boys
This book made me so angry! I love this series, don't get me wrong, but the ending was so abrupt, such a set up for the next in the series that I felt completely deflated and let down. I really hate it when authors end a book like this; I almost want to give up on this series. It smacks of money-grubbing. If you're hooked on these books, I suggest waiting until the next one comes out to read them both together. That may be a more satisfying way to do it.
Who's best for Will, Evelyn or Alyss? 15 56 Dec 04, 2014 05:03PM
The Ranger's Appr...: The Sorcerer of the North 1 2 Aug 04, 2014 04:53PM
review 2 11 Apr 11, 2014 06:10PM
should i read this? 17 55 Jul 05, 2013 01:42PM
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • The Sister of the South (Dragons of Deltora, #4)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • Found (Magic Thief, #3)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...
The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2) The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4) The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3) The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)

“You had this young man with you for... what, six years?"
Halt shrugged. "Near enough," he replied.
"And did you ever understand a word he was saying?"
"Not a lot of the time, no," Halt said.
Crowley shook his head in wonder. "It's just as well he didn't go into the Diplomatic Service. We'd be at war with half a dozen countries by now if he was on the loose."
Will drew a deep breath to begin talking. He noticed that both men took an involuntary half step backward and he decided he'd better try to keep it as simple as possible.”
66 likes
“You won't get much with only ten men," Will said, in a reasonable tone of voice. Gundar snorted angrily.
"Ten? I've got twenty-seven men behind me!" There was an angry growl of assent from his men-although Ulf didn't join in, Gundar noticed.
This time, when the Ranger spoke, there was no trace of the pleasant, reasonable tone. Instead, the voice was hard and cold.
"You haven't reached the castle yet," Will said. "I've got twenty-three arrows in my quiver still, and a further dozen in my packsaddle. And you've got several kilometers to go-all within bowshot of the trees there. Bad shot as I am, I should be able to account for more than half your men. Then you'll be facing the garrison with just ten men.”
43 likes