Start by marking “Jules Verne Seven Novels” as Want to Read:
Jules Verne Seven Novels

Jules Verne Seven Novels

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,777 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Writing in France in the nineteenth century, Jules Verne was fascinated by adventure and exploration. Collecting Five Weeks in a Balloon, Around the World in Eighty Days, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Round the Moon, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island, this omnibus offers a unique compilation of seven of Vern ...more
Leather Bound, 1208 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Barnes & Noble Inc (first published September 25th 2006)

Mark
Dec 27, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely Barnes and Noble edition.

The Seven Novels are:

Five Weeks in a Balloon,
Around the World in Eighty Days,
A Journey to the Center of the Earth,
From the Earth to the Moon,
Round the Moon,
Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and
The Mysterious Island.

Gilt edged, leather hardback. A keeper. Great tales too!

Warren R.
Jun 01, 2015 Warren R. rated it it was amazing
"The Library of Essential Writers" series of books are affordable and beautiful editions, not to mention sturdy [they are all in hardcover] and number about 31 works in all.They are getting harder to come by but many of the titles are still available at B&N at a bargain. This edition features seven novels by Jules Verne which are complete and unabridged, i.e. "Five Weeks in a Balloon", "A Journey to the Center of the Earth", "From the Earth to the Moon", "Round the Moon", "Twenty Thousand Le ...more
Mike Chesterman
Jan 12, 2015 Mike Chesterman rated it it was amazing
Gilt edged classics like this will fill my book shelves until the day I die. Jules Verne's stories are incredibly well written, although I agree that some of the values and ideas of how people interact and think about one another are quite difficult to deal with in modern day society. That said, the man was a visionary about science fiction concepts and ideas, which remain fresh even today.
Dale Lehman
Dec 15, 2016 Dale Lehman rated it liked it
I had trouble deciding between 3 and 4 stars. This is a collection of seven classic Jules Verne novels, in what are probably classic (that is, public domain) translations. Better translations now exist for at least some of these works. Nevertheless, bringing together these novels in one volume affords the reader an interesting way of exploring Verne's works.

The seven novels are, to wit: Five Weeks in a Balloon, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Round the Moon, Twe
Catherine
Jun 04, 2014 Catherine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy classic literature, people who enjoy nautical adventure
Recommended to Catherine by: reddit
This review of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was part of the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge on reddit. Considering this book is almost 150 years old, I was surprised how little I knew about the plot of the story. Although I had this story in a lovely edition of a Jules Verne compilation, I read this particular book as a Project Gutenberg e-book.

The story began in a weird way for me, in chapter 3: (view spoiler)
James
A great collection of classic science fiction by Jules Verne including Five Weeks in a Balloon, Around the World in Eighty Days, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Round the Moon, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and
The Mysterious Island. As usual, the B&N Leatherbound version is well put together, interesting cover art, this is one of the larger (wider) books in the series though. It stands out a little more sitting on the shelf but in a good way.

Many of
Christena Rulli
Mar 03, 2013 Christena Rulli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own
Jules Verne is considered the grandfather of science fiction and his stories do not disappoint. I read Journey to the Center of the Earth when I was a child but the opportunity never presented itself for me to read his other works. When you read his stories, it's difficult to fathom that his works are over a 100 years old. His writing is fast paced, intelligent and still extremely current. When you sometimes read older works, the writing style and technology of the time seems to date the work. N ...more
Lynn K.
This compilation contains 7 novels. Overall, I enjoyed reading this. There was only one book that I gave less than 3 stars to, and it wasn't because it was bad, it was just oh so boring. The other six novels ranged from interesting to exciting. The physical book itself it beautiful and it was fun to look at the illustration on the cover and figure out which of the seven novels the pictures represented.
Becky Russell
Aug 31, 2016 Becky Russell rated it it was amazing
I picked my copy up in a thrift store for only a couple of pounds. The beautiful cover is what drew me to it but upon opening it, you're greeted by a most beautiful map as well as the gold lined pages.

I had read a couple of Jules Verne as a child and when I picked the stories up again as an adult I was transported back. The magic of Vernes writing is amazing for any age.

I am proud to be a Vernian and this book is the perfect book for any bookshelf and/or any Vernian.
Jeff
Jan 23, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne leaped to become my favorite author. He had an incredible scientific mind and showcases it in all of his books. My favorite of his is either from the "Earth to the Moon" or "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" Because he uses scientific terms and calculations in his book it make you feel like its a nonfiction book full of exciting adventures.
Megan Q.
Jul 13, 2012 Megan Q. rated it really liked it
Haven't previously read any Jules Verne. To date (Sep 2012) I've finished Five Weeks in a Balloon, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and The Mysterious Island (my favorite so far). Enjoying them more than I expected.
Margaret Chind

The Mysterious Island: 4*
Alexander Little
Oct 08, 2014 Alexander Little rated it really liked it
Great book!
i recommend to any Sci-Fi reader looking for something old fashioned to read.
Although these were great stories within the book, I found "From the earth to the moon" and "Round the moon" rather boring.
Lorraine
Aug 03, 2011 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorraine by: Virgil
The stories are good and interesting classics. Reading the entire collection all at once can get stale.
Emily
Feb 24, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
I really like Jules Verne's stories but he often goes into specific details that are really boring for me.
Sarah u
My Barnes and Noble leatherbound collection grows by one on Valentine's Day. This book is absolutely stunning.
Jennifer Collins
Nov 02, 2014 Jennifer Collins rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I just absolutely love Jules Verne! The only Reason this book gets 4 stars instead of 5 is because it contains none of the illustrations from the stories.
Sheena
Feb 23, 2013 Sheena rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, odd, physical, sci-fi
I have discovered I am not quite a fan of Jules Verne. Some of his tails were quite enjoyable, others not. Most actually seemed more like a dry recording of daily events.
Ami_Ven
Mar 29, 2012 Ami_Ven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not light reading- literally! This edition weighs four pounds, but is well worth the effort of lugging it around.
Jediraven
Sep 29, 2015 Jediraven is currently reading it
So far I'm on page 89 of Five Weeks in a Balloon, and it is one of the most boring ( and racist ) stories I've ever read.
Victoria Blacke
Jun 29, 2015 Victoria Blacke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: victorians
A wondrous, wild adventure! Tempered with the legendary British calm and stiff upper lip. Loved it!
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 28, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, adventure
This volume contains five of the best Jules Verne classics, including some of my personal favourtites; Journey to the Centre of the Earth and 20000 Leagues Under the Sea...
Luis
Luis rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2017
Shafaq
Shafaq rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2015
tammy saukko
tammy saukko rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Ivan Boiko
Ivan Boiko rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Kat Vik
Kat Vik rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Diana Bang-Udesen
Diana Bang-Udesen rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Aesop's Illustrated Fables
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • Dracula and Other Horror Stories
  • Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Constitution of the United States of America and Selected Writings of the Founding Fathers.
  • Fairy Tales From Around the World
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...