Bread and Wine

Bread and Wine

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Award-winning science fiction author Samuel Delany and Dennis, a homeless New Yorker selling books from a blanket, discover sexual joy and explode stereotypes while exploring the possibilities for compassion and acceptance in this moving graphic novel -- all the more touching because it's true.
Published March 1st 1999 by Juno Books

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Kevin
A (literally) gritty but heartfelt true story of an unusual romance. More proof about the power of love and humanity.
Robert
A wonderful, extremely atypcial gay love story in graphic novel form. An absolute must-read.
Gabriel
Don't be fooled by the secondary title of this Graphic Novel, this is not erotica. It's a love story.

Samuel R. Delany writes the true tale of how he met his current partner, Dennis, and Mia Wolff illustrates the very plain and simple prose with gorgeous drawings that shift between detailed realism and simple sketches. All of this combines for a wonderful love story without extra bells and whistles. Just something nice. In some ways, it is reminiscent of (my memory of) The Sound of Waves by Yukio...more
Fredrik Strömberg
A beautiful autobiographical love story, told tenderly in sparse black and white drawings that reminds me a bit of Frank Stack's drawings for Harvey Pekar's seminal graphic novel Our Cancer Years.

This is a great little story of an author who befriends a homeless person and ends up moving together with him. It’s told in a quiet, subdued way, interspersed with literary quotations and it’s made even better by the fact that it's all true. The book (I read the Swedish version of the new edition) con...more
Austin Hartman
This is one author that I could fully write a list called "a million and one reasons I love them..."
I thought Delany was an amazing author, then I saw him naked standing next to giant penguins...most beautiful thing ever.
Mike
He said it better:

"It is perhaps the most entirely moving piece that he has ever written, this in one of the most deeply felt bodies of work to grace contemporary literature." -- Alan Moore

Becky
Sep 26, 2008 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Becky by: The New York Public Library
Very lovely book, in all aspects. I'm so pleased it's a true story. It's simple and complex in all the right ways.
Caren
What a great story! Not very believable until you find out it's true. Then, very lovely!
Leilani
An incredibly honest love story.
Edward
A documentary graphic novella that beautifully illustrates how love can be found in the most unlikeliest places. Alt-alt-sci-fi guru Delany meets a homeless man, Dennis, selling used books off a blanket on the streets of New York. He strikes up a conversation, they test their sexual compatibility, and twenty-five years later they are a still a happy couple. The drawings by Wolff are full of detail, clear, sometimes lovely, and service the story admirably.
Kirsten
This is a tender love story that defies description and convention. I love the way the artwork is crude and masterful, cartoonishly humorous and yet dead serious, sometimes all in the same page. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it. This is a special, special book.
Buck Doyle
I probably give too many 5-star reviews amirite?

BUT

I took a break from my speed-read of Delany’s epic novel Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders to read this, which came to the door yesterday. Short, beautiful.

Actual physical object available for lending!
flannery
This was pretty alright. The story's pretty scant and there are no surprises here but there is a pretty cute photo on the back. Also some pretty X-rated stuff in the middle so if you think Samuel Delany looks like sci-fi Santa be prepared.
Federiken Masters
Mar 09, 2010 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Alan Moore
No recuerdo cuándo agregué este libro, pero seguramente haya sido sólo porque la introducción es de Alan Moore. Aun así, estuve viendo la temática y pinta interesante, así que con suerte lo termine leyendo en algún momento de mi vida.
Edward Rathke
Though quite short, this is a beautiful book with awesome imagery. Probably mostly for people who are just really into Delany, but I'd still recommend it to anyone in need of a nice lovestory.
Ian Callaghan
This is a very cute and uncommon love story between a university professor and a homeless man. It's also a true story. I recommend it.
Dancomfort
Excellent graphic novel about how Delany met Dennis, a homeless man, who became his partner for over two decades.
MariNaomi
An unusual (and unusually sweet) love story. It warmed the icy cockles of my heart.
Josh
A nicely illustrated story of love, and companionship.
Twan
Jun 14, 2013 Twan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Mucky men.
Karuss
Karuss marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Madeleine
Madeleine marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Samuel Ray Delany, also known as "Chip," is an award-winning American science fiction author. He was born to a prominent black family on April 1, 1942, and raised in Harlem. His mother, Margaret Carey Boyd Delany, was a library clerk in the New York Public Library system. His father, Samuel Ray Delany, Senior, ran a successful Harlem undertaking establishment, Levy & Delany Funeral Home, on 7t...more
More about Samuel R. Delany...
Babel-17 Dhalgren Nova The Einstein Intersection Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand