Start by marking “I Am the Dog” as Want to Read:

I Am the Dog

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Jacob is the boy.

Max is the dog.

Until they decide to change places.

Now Jacob gets to eat kibble, chase squirrels, and snooze, just like a real dog. Max brushes his teeth, goes to school, and plays video games, just like a real boy. The question is: Who has the better deal?

Story maestro Daniel Pinkwater collaborates once again with the gifted illustrator Jack E. Davis for a
Published September 21st 2010 by HarperCollins (first published October 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am the Dog

Lisa Vegan
I would have loved this book as a kid as it would be fun to think of a kid and dog changing places and imagining what that would be like. But, as an adult, I say: more Bad Bears, more Bad Bears books!

I feel guilty because while the quirky art matched the wacky story, I really didn’t enjoy the illustrations.

The story was fun but not outstanding. I loved the last line, but I’m not so sure I agreed with it, though maybe I do. I love dogs and this was a fun book, but in my opinion not one of the bet
Yes I would like to trade places with my dogs. I think miss Meya would be a good children's librarian, and I would make a great dog. I can chase the cat and sleep on a comfy bed for hours.
Michelle Otero
In all honestly I chose this book for a couple of reasons. One being, I know a few people, other than myself, who always wondered what it would be like to be their pet for a day. The other reason is the cover, a boy and his dog in a face off wondering what it is like to be the other, it is comical. The introduction to the book set a tone of a child telling about his day as his dog. I could just picture a little kid telling me this crazy story how he did everything the dog did down to eating kibb ...more
April
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Publisher's Weekly says, "Pinkwater (Beautiful Yetta: The Yiddish Chicken) and Davis give readers absurdity aplenty in this story about a boy, Jacob, and his dog, Max, who agree to change places. "When we woke up.... I stretched. I yawned. I scratched behind my ear--all the things I had seen Max do." Davis (Marsupial Sue) pictures Jacob crouched on all fours with a bone in his mouth as Max stands on a stool furiously brushing his teeth ("He ate a lot of toothpas
Liz Todd
Cute story, great idea! I think there could be lots of fun discussion with this book: would you rather...?, what would it be like to switch places with another animal? Are there other details that the author left out that might influence whether it's truly great to be a dog? How could the story be rewritten to show the down side of being a dog?
Jimmy Potkanowicz
This was a very cute book for younger kids (Kindergarten or Pre-k). It tells about a boy and a dog switching places for a day. At the end of the book, it says that they learned one thing from the whole experience and that being a dog had a better life than the boy. I would ready it to my class.
Candace Offutt
This is a cute little story about a boy and his dog switching places. I think it is a fun read that students can make connections with and also predictions about.
The Library Lady
Typical Pinkwater madness. The art, which bulges and exaggerates in a style that makes me think of TV shows like "Jimmy Neutron" works perfectly with the text. Perfect for older preschoolers and early elementary school kids. Grab this rather than the recent Love That Puppy which also has cartoony art, but none of the goofy charm of this one.
Chinasa Izeogu
What child doesn't imagine being a carefree dog? Well Pinkwater it the mark with his jovial book. It is a great read aloud selection for kids ages 3-7. In fact, I've recommended that we read it at our library for the Barkin' at Bach activity. On this day, the kids will get a chance to impersonate a dog and when their done decorate their own dog bone cookie snack. I can't wait to see how excited they get.
Romelle
This is a silly story about a boy, Jacob, who switch places with his dog, Max. I am sure there are lots of readers who have wondered what it's like to be a dog. In this story Jacob eats kibble, plays fetch, and goes to the park. Max goes to school and does his homework.. It is a simple storyline that relies on pictures to bring out the funny. Illustrator, Jack E. Davis, does a wonderful job at this.
gina
Aww! What a cute book. I love the imaginary play it encourages. I especially loved the next to last line that says both the dog and the boy learned something. I couldn't help but think "oh yeah? What did they learn?" a bit confused, not remembering any big lesson. Then you flip the page for the best last line "Being a dog is better." Here here! Can't wait to read these books I love to our baby one day :)
Caroline
The main character decides to change places with his dog Max. He eats off the floor, chases balls, and eats Max's homework (Max had to go to school, since he is the boy!)

Great use of imagination and humour. I love this for my storytime, as it prompts dialogue with the children as to what it would be like to live as a dog for a day, and what it would be like to see a dog in their daycare.
Linda
Another in the crowded field of characters that switch places but this was done with a lot of creativity and fun! I think this would be a good intro to a writing project for children about looking at points of view. They could pick any animal they wanted and then switch themselves into the role. The book included funny situations and the illustrations were colorful and comical.
Heidi
I didn't realize this was by Daniel Pinkwater until I finished the book. Not surprising when I learned that. The book is ridiculous and silly and very funny. I enjoyed seeing the boy and dog switch places and thought it hilarious that the boy never got tired of dog things. The ending was great. This would be a fabulous school-age storytime, lap-read, or read-alone.
Nancy Jo Lambert
In this book, Jacob is the dog and Max is the boy. Then, they switch places. Children that enjoy stories about dogs will certainly like this one. The suthor does a fine job of playing up all the moments that would most appealing to both dog and boy to get to experience in the other's shoes, er and paws.

I delightful read that kids will certainly respond to.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Jacob the boy and Max the dog trade places for a day. Max gets to go to school and do homework and Jacob gets taken to the park, sniffs things and chases a squirrel. This role reversal will make kids giggle and invite a discussion of what it would be like to trade places with the family pet. The story and illustrations are sure to bring a smile.
Malika J.
What is it like to be in someone else's place? How would you act? What would you do? This story isn't my favorite writing, but there are some great teaching points in it. This could lead into a great writing lesson about perspectives.
Kami
Really cute and fun book about a boy and his dog switching places for the day. The illustrations are fun, and the book is funny. The last line of the book is awesome! Some times I wish I could live the life of a dog for a day.
Tricia
While I liked this book, my preschool audience downright loved it. They giggled and cackled over the story of a boy and dog switching places. The illustrations are absolutely hysterical and make the book work. Just silly!
Natasha
The mind of Daniel Pinkwater is a very special, very peculiar place. The characters are strong in this picture book- I can really hear the enthusiastic boy/dog as he prances around, delighted by his kibble.
Candice
Nov 23, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
A funny story about a boy and a dog changing places for a day. The goofy illustrations perfectly complement the silly antics of boy and dog as the boy eats the dog's homework, and the two of them play catch.
Shelli
Fun, colorful story to share. Great conversation you can have with young readers about stepping into another animals shoes (or paws) for a day and if they would like the fit.
Amanda
My son thought this one was funny and suggested that I read it. While I liked it OK, it didn't really make sense and it didn't have the turn and humor that I anticipated.
Tam
My boys (ages 4 & 8) LOVED this book. They love dogs, and they would love to trade places with a dog, so this book was perfect for them. The illustrations are also fun.
Yelena
Cute, but not quite as funny as one would expect from Pinkwater. Boy and dog switch places for a day, with predictably humorous (but not outrageous) results.
Jenny
Cute book, and I love the punch line at the end. This is one of those books that kids like, and it has another level of humor for adults.
Kate
A boy and his dog trade places for the day. This one made me laugh out loud and I liked that the final thought was "being a dog is better."
Stefani
Adorable! Boy and dog switch places for the day; the dog even attends school and does homework! Super goofy and the lesson learned is priceless.
Amy
Cute, cute, cute. Nice way to begin a conversation about point of view.

Nice big pictures to share at storytime.

Grades K-2.
Anne
Cute story about a boy and his dog who trade places for the day. Fun illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...
The Big Orange Splot Lizard Music The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel The Hoboken Chicken Emergency