Start by marking “The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eat” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  3,823 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
As seen on Dateline NBC Healthy, delicious, and simple, the Paleo Diet is the diet our genes were made for. This book presents readers with a program that causes weight loss in overweight people - up to seventy-five pounds in six months while normalizing blood cholesterol, and increasing energy levels.
Published January 7th 2003 by John Wiley & Sons (first published September 7th 2001)

Elf M.
Apr 26, 2012 Elf M. rated it did not like it
This book is a long list of statements that should all end with [citation needed]

In order to distinguish his work from competing diets, Cordain spends an inordinate amount of time in the early chapters dumping on the Atkins diet, but he does so in a way that skews the research. He complains that the Atkins diet does away with fruits and vegetables, "Cancer-fighting fruits and vegetables![citation needed]" A lot of the book is like that. He goes deep into anti-salt and anti-fat, which I supposed
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 Jodi rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-books
I'm a big supporter of the Paleo diet concept and the idea that we need to eat the traditional foods our genes need to be healthy.

This book claims to be the last word in explaining what our ancestors ate, and to not be just another book full of fads, but it is seriously flawed. The author seems to be trying to merge information on what the caveman diet consisted of with as many modern food fads as possible. He is particularly ignorant about healthy fats and oils.

The book is also not very convinc
Stella
Feb 02, 2012 Stella rated it it was ok
I've been following Mark Sisson (marksdailyapple.com)and Robb Wolf's (The Paleo Solution) advice about how to do Paleo. Since the author of this book is a mentor to Robb, and I really enjoy what Robb has to say, I figured I would like this book. Not even. I think a lot of what he's advocating is outdated. No salt? Really? I'll keep my sprinkle of Celtic sea salt, thank you. And I will cook with saturated animal fats and use some butter in moderation. I've only been following the Paleo way of eat ...more
Roslyn Ross
Aug 06, 2012 Roslyn Ross rated it did not like it
One of the most disappointing books of the year. I loved the idea of it, eating the way our ancestors did but this... isn't it. This is a DIET book, a how to lose weight book, not a how to be healthy and eat the way your body was designed to eat did book. I was looking for a reason that Paleo was "better" than Nourishing Traditions / Weston A Price's ideas on eating native diets and this doesn't hold a candle to WAP.

He doesn't even address things like raw milk and soaking grains! He claims the
Shilpa
Jan 25, 2010 Shilpa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anu
I've been doing Paleo diet (or some milder variation thereof) and it has completely changed me. Because of the diet (and Crossfit), I'm in the best shape I've ever been, and I'm even seeing muscle development I've never seen before. Highly recommend this book.
A word of advice: kicking high glycemic index foods (e.g. "bad carbs") is hard, especially for those accustomed to having desserts. Other people I've talked to who've changed to the Paleo lifestyle say that it takes 1-2 weeks to really "we
Christopher Sears
The Paleo Diet outlines Dr. Loren Cordain's view of an optimal diet. The Paleo Diet is a low carbohydrate diet which focuses on eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables, and some nuts. The foods that are not allowed on the diet are legumes and beans, grains, and dairy. The reasoning behind the diet is that human evolution has not caught up with the agricultural revolution. Thus, people should eat like hunter/gatherers for optimal nutrition.

I tried the diet last summer. I managed to lose 30 pound
Celeste
My husband has decided to (mostly) follow the Paleo diet, and I wasn't satisfied with what he could tell me about it, so I bought this book to read on my Kindle.

There's a certain level of persuasion to be expected when one reads a book about a diet, but this one slides into condescension pretty quickly. I wanted to shake the author and tell him, "Tone it down, man! Don't you realize that the people who read this book aren't on the Paleo diet yet?!" It wasn't very welcoming. I plowed on, and some
Jamessteeleii
Cordain's general premise is sound though much of his application falls short of current research. A strange mix of carbophobia and (saturated)lipophobia.
Marc
Sep 11, 2014 Marc rated it really liked it
In my opinion, one of the most important book on nutrition ever written. There are, however, problems with it. For one thing, it is written in that stupid lose-weight-on-this-diet genre (which, I understand, was not entirely Cordain's decision) and it can be really grating to read. Second, it is a little fluffy, at least for a geeky analytical fellow like me.

But even so, the basic tenant and program of the book is fantastically important. Here is how to think about the picture. Nutrition and he
Margaret
Jan 04, 2016 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: upgrade, personal
While there is merit to the general idea behind eating like our Paleolithic ancestors, many of the extreme ideas behind this book have been called into question by recent research. For example, the suggestion that a protein calorie is not equal to a carbohydrate calorie has not been verified by real-world studies.

But the real failure of the book is clear in its ridiculous portrayal of a vegetarian diet: yogurt and carbs. In this "case study", the person is portrayed as weak and sick because of
Bethany
Jul 12, 2012 Bethany rated it did not like it
I was hoping for more from this book. I'm very interested in the paleo diet (since I have gluten, carb, sugar, etc. intolerances), but after reading this book I've decided not to follow it so extremely. I was excited for the menu plans included in one of the chapters, until I read through them. Most did not sound appetizing to me and/or are quite pricey.

I realize the author was just spelling out the actual diet, but it was not motivating to me at all. For those wanting a clear-cut book about th
The writing style was on par with other diet/fitness books I have read. It got a little preachy at times, especially in knocking the Atkins diet (which is similar to the Paleo approach in several ways). I liked the idea that the Paleo diet encourages you to eat fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. I know that I am not the type of person who would give up all grains forever, but I could see doing so for a period of time and then adding back in the healthier grains as a "sometimes" food. We are cur ...more
Dawn
Jul 18, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books, nutrition
Not a bad book just not great either if you want a diet book something akin to the Abs Diet book then this is for you. Not a great read but not dry either.

The biggest negative for me is his reference to research but not really follow through, I guess think was intentional as some may feel intimidated by hard science. For me I just felt it was to general.

The recipes did not look that great so I left them alone completely.

I have started reading other Paleo books because I think there is somethin
Andrea
May 06, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-medicine
Hmm...read this in order to understand what some of my patients are following.....and found yet another biased food fad based on obsessivly and blindly marching down a path marked out by dogma and cherry-picking the literature.
It does deserve a couple of stars in that a portion of it is sensible and clearly better than the current North American highly processed diet of frankenfoods.....but the so-called genetic basis for us today still needing a grain and dairy free diet is just a theory. Plus
Tom
Aug 09, 2010 Tom rated it it was ok
The idea behind the Diet posed in this book is logical and sound. It has interested me for awhile now. The book itself was disappointing. You can grab all of the information you need on the diet off of the internet, in a zillion places. I was hoping the book itself would have a little more Science behind it.
Sue
Nov 28, 2007 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I have recently learned I am gluten intolerant and also have sensitivity to dairy, eggs and soy. Yikes! This is a diet I can actually live on and it's designed to give you all the nutrients you need. From an evolutionary standpoint, it makes sense to me. I thought I had rheumatoid arthritis, but after a couple of weeks wheat free, I am free of the pain!
Jennie
Too much focus on lean, lean, lean -- not really breaking away from the low-fat mythology (this is, of course, my opinion) and not enough of a focus on getting activity. Still a good resource and interesting reading, but I have a feeling I'm going to like Primal Blueprint more.
lézengő reader
A paleolit választ érdemes elolvasni a szerzőtől, ezt a könyvét n e m . Zsírfóbia, sómítosz, koleszterinmesék, rostpropaganda - hát köszi, legalább paleós szerzőktől nem kéne.
Sara Kenyon
Sep 01, 2011 Sara Kenyon rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of the Paleo Diet and this guy is one of it's main proponents. However, the book was boring, unmotivating and uninformative. I recommend the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf.
Kevin
Mar 19, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Not scientifically detailed but the idea checks out and makes sense.
Lynda
Jul 07, 2010 Lynda rated it it was ok
Problem is I am allergic to half the food I am supposed to eat.
Kelly Deriemaeker
Dec 14, 2014 Kelly Deriemaeker rated it really liked it
Voor het werk. Boeiende materie.
Laureen Hudson
Nov 01, 2016 Laureen Hudson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's always heartening to read the other reviews here on Goodreads. Because oish, this book was a nightmare. The author needed an editor, a fact-checker, oh, and something resembling familiarity with the literature in the field. I spotted glaring errors through the first twenty or so pages, which is where I stopped. UGH!
Jack
Feb 11, 2011 Jack rated it liked it
I think this book should have been titled, "The Paleo Solution for Celiacs". It's a new year, and I've been wanting to drop some pounds, so I decided to give this book a look-see. The premise of the Paleo diet (or 'primal' diet-- There's a few books with these words in their title) is that our distant hunter-gatherer ancestors over
5,000 + years ago ate mostly meat, seafood, fruits/veggies and were healthier than their farmer counterparts. It was only after the agricultural revolution with the i
Helen
Sep 08, 2011 Helen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
After reading many online sources on Paleo Diet, Stone Age Diet, Primal Diet, and Meat only diet, and only now getting this book, I was sorely disappointed: in comparison this book seems to be obsolete, oversimplified and superficial, for healthy people only. Critical for all others issues were played down quietly, but unnecessary details were provided in full length.

If you like to be told in terms what is good for you and what is not, if you are able to digest mass produced meat, eggs, farmed
Mohammad Ali Abedi
Aug 25, 2015 Mohammad Ali Abedi rated it liked it
This is the summary of the diet:

“The Paleo Diet is based on the bedrock of Stone Age diets: Eat lots of lean meats, fresh fruits, and vegetables.”

That seems to be the diet recommendation of every grandmother that has ever existed for the past million years.

Here are the rules in more details,

1. Eat lean meats, fish, and seafood as much as you can!
2. Go to town on fruits and nonstarchy vegetables!
3. No cereals
4. No legumes
5. No dairy products
6. No processed foods

Well, it seems only 3-5 puts
K. M.
May 10, 2014 K. M. rated it liked it
Yes, I jumped on THAT bandwagon and read this book. Was curious about they hype since several friends and acquaintances have tried this with grand success in terms of feeling better and getting lean (but not mean). This books makes comments about "research" and "my teams" and "statistics show", but doesn't footnote it so the reader can cross-check. That's a big issue for me since I like to trust but verify things (yeah, I just pulled a Reaganism). I'm not convinced of the validity of the few stu ...more
Carolyn
Sep 07, 2016 Carolyn rated it liked it
I am doing some reading on low-carbs diets and this seemed like a good starting point. I appreciate that Cordain has a degree in health/exercise science. I appreciate that Cordain mentions throughout the book that weight gain/cancer/cardiovascular health are complex and many factors go into our health in these areas (something missing in another book that I read). Here's what I agree with: I and my family and our population at large is way too much sugar and processed foods. We should nearly eli ...more
Corinne
Jun 27, 2015 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I have a better understanding of the Paleo Diet after reading this book.

In the beginning of the book I was becoming a bit annoyed because it felt like an infomercial. It even included cheesey success stories. I got through a good chunk of the book, slept on it and then went back and reviewed what kept rattling around in my brain. i.e. What was the connection to osteoporosis? What did he say about grain fed livestock? Why can't I have canned olives? etc. At that point I realized I liked the book
Cathy (cathepsut)
"The modern dietary regimen known as the Paleolithic diet, also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era, that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of meat, fish, vegetable ...more
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • Everyday Paleo
  • The Primal Blueprint Cookbook
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging
  • Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks!
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories
  • The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
Loren Cordain, PhD, is one of the world's leading experts and researchers in the area of evolutionary medicine. He is on the faculty of Colorado State University and the author of The Paleo Diet and The Paleo Diet for Athletes. He has been featured on Dateline NBC, in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and other media."
More about Loren Cordain...

“Many women, worried about breast cancer, have adopted vegetarian diets in an attempt to reduce their risk. Unfortunately, it may be that these grain- and starch-based diets actually increase the risk of breast cancer, because they elevate insulin—which, in turn, increases IGF-1 and lowers IGFBP-3. A large epidemiological study of Italian women, led by Dr. Silvia Franceschi, has shown that eating large amounts of pasta and refined bread raises the risk of developing both breast and colorectal cancer. Most vegetarian diets are based on starchy grains and legumes. Sadly—despite continuing perceptions of these as healthy foods—vegetarian diets don’t reduce the risk of cancer. In the largest-ever study comparing the causes of death in more than 76,000 people, it was decisively shown that there were no differences in death rates from breast, prostate, colorectal, stomach, or lung cancer between vegetarians and meat eaters. Cancer is a complex process involving many genetic and environmental factors. It is almost certain that no single dietary element is responsible for all cancers. However, with the low-glycemic Paleo Diet, which is also high in lean protein and health-promoting fruits and vegetables, your risk of developing many types of cancer may be very much reduced.” 1 likes