Start by marking “Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision” as Want to Read:
Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision

Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,283 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
"Within the Frame" is a book about finding and expressing your photographic vision, specifically where people, places, and cultures are concerned. A personal book full of real-world wisdom and incredible images, author David duChemin (of shows you both the how and the why of finding, chasing, and expressing your vision with a camera to your eye. Vision ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by New Riders Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Within the Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within the Frame

Francesca Russell
Totally loved, loved, loved this book. I've read many photography books which teach you about equipment and technique, but this book is unique in its focus on creating and capturing your vision by what moves you. I highly, highly recommend.
Ebrahim Abdulla
Jul 06, 2014 Ebrahim Abdulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بغض النظر عن الحشو الزائد والتكرار الذي لا يكاد يخلو من هذه الكتب، الكتاب له ميزة عن باقي كتب التصوير والرحلات التصويرية، وهي: محاولة مخاطبة الشاعر/الفنان في المصوّر؛ ففي حين الكثير من الكتب تتحدث عن المعدّات، ونصائح عملية لاتقاط الصور، يحاول دوشمين أن يعيدنا لأصل الحكاية التي تدفع أي مصوّر فوتوغرافي لهذا الاهتمام، أعني الرؤية؛ فبدلاً من وضع قواعد ثابتة نسير عليها للقطات الشوارع والناس في الرحلات والسفر على سبيل المثال، يُذكّرنا ديفيد بالهدف من اللقطة، ماهو؟ هل أريد لبريق عيناه أن يظهر؟ أم أريد ...more
Nov 02, 2012 Bader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arabic, photography, art
الكتاب رائع جدًا، وأكثر ما أعجبني فيه تناوله معنى أن تبحث عما تريد وأن تهتم بالهدف من الذي تفعله. يحتاج إلى مراجعة تعطيه بعض حقه إن شاء الله أتفرغ لها في وقت غير بعيد.
Feb 15, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book, in the truest sense of the word. Not a beautiful coffee table book, but a beautiful collection of ideas, photographs, insights, tips, and thoughts about a photographer's life, written by an experienced, introspective, and articulate professional. More than anything, duChemin speaks to the phenomenon that, in the era of mind-blowing digital photography technology, it's easy to forget that the photographer's eye (or vision) is a key (OK, the primary or dominant) component ...more
Pat Loughery
Apr 06, 2012 Pat Loughery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
This was the most enjoyable photography book I've read in ages. I've followed David duChemin's work for several years and appreciated his approach and his heart and soul in the images he creates. This book was an extension of that heart and soul.

Photography books are often either highly technical and not particularly useful at the craft side; or they're overly simplistic and repetitive; or they're high-view fine art things that make a reader roll eyes.
Within the Frame is a deep look beyond techn
Photography how-to books that try to help people take better (in terms of aesthetics) photographs never really deliver on their promise. I guess it's something people learn on their own, through trial and error, and can't be least in book form. His photographs are really nice, although sometimes the wow factor comes less from the composition and more from the exotic locales.

Doesn't really succeed as an instructional manual, but it's a nice collection of photographs.
Sergey Kiselev
Jan 12, 2011 Sergey Kiselev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photo
Great book, great expression of inner power of photography. Simple words, but they're changing my photo results. Book helps me to understand, what is photography and why it's art. So simple now to make thousands of photos with one click of shutter. But photo isn't about HDR, quantity and wow factors. For me it's a story, journey, interesting moments and people. You need to earn right to show it to world.
Feb 15, 2012 Dianais rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It was one of the few truly helpfull photography books. I appreciated the detailed information under each picture and their stories as well.
Also, there were few photos that I didn't wish I had shot.
Jul 12, 2014 حنان rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب رائع جدًا ؛ الكاتب يوصل لك الفكرة بشكل مدُهش وبسيط ؛ المفردات المستخدمة بحد ذاتها جميلة.

أظن بأنني سأعاود قراءته مرة أخرى بإذن الله.
Jan 18, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great photos and advice about everything photographic...
Thecla Shubert
Jun 13, 2015 Thecla Shubert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great inspirational book! If your like me and have a basic knowledge of photography, but aren't sure how to take the next step into truly memorable photos, this is the book for you. It will refresh you on some basic techniques and what situations you should use various gear in. It talks about the author's personal experience photographing across the world, and gives advice on how to approach different situations. It even talks about composition and what to do when creativity runs dry. The main p ...more
Adrian Mora
Oct 19, 2012 Adrian Mora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
I picked up a my first manual camera on Jan 1 2012 and have been hooked ever since. The first type books I read were about the technical aspects of handling and controlling the camera. I needed this information because i basically new nothing about how to manage light for correct exposures. I read a few of these books and they tend to be the same after you read a couple of them. Then came a book by Roberto Valenzuela "Picture Perfect Practice" which was a different type of book. It was about the ...more
Mar 16, 2013 Katsu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Book about a frame, about an idea, about feelings and imagination.
This book is mainly about when to take a picture. It gives you some question you should answere befor taking a photo. Things that is good to remember, to think about.
That photography is not about running with camera and shooting but rather about thinking what should be in the frame and what should stay behind the frame borders.
It give some advices how to photograph people, places, streets. What you should know about culture and r
Marni Hochman
Feb 22, 2015 Marni Hochman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
David duChemin does more than explain how to take a good photo in this book. He imparts a philosophy of photography. And at first, it seems like a simple philosophy, but in fact there are layers and layers to it that he uncovers clearly and with conviction through each chapter. I learned so much from reading this book and so much more than from any "how to" book (not that that isn't important as well). Most importantly, I now feel that I truly understand that photography is not just about taking ...more
Cássio Rogério
In this book, duchemin avoids the technicalities commonly found in other books of photography and demonstrates its vision of "why shoot."

Fascinated by photographing people, Duchemin gives valuable tips on how you approach people from different cultures to achieve spontaneous portraits and showing the person embedded in their culture.

The chapter that caught my attention was the "Storytelling" where Duchemin teaches how to transcribe in just 4 or 5 photos a story.

The book is easy to read, full of
Sep 03, 2011 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a side-trip as I research frame analysis from a communication and leadership perspective. Good applications from photography, especially as it relates to the photographic frame and the decisions the photographer makes with respect to what is included or excluded from a frame.

Best quotes; "Rule or principle? Rules seldom encourage the question of 'Why?' Principles can't live without the Why" (p. 59); and "Nothing kills creativity, inspiration, or motivation like self-pity, self-doubt, an
Mandalyn Renicker
Apr 17, 2016 Mandalyn Renicker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The process is different but the goal is the same: the creation of images that reveal the personality of the place as you've experienced it, and in such a way that your viewers will look at those photographs and react with an emotional response thinking, "Wow you must have a really great camera. One can always hope."
Chock full of gems like that one that breeze over the hows (there's plenty of how-to books) and get into the whys of photography.
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at Barnes and Noble
Shelves: photography
This is just a wonderful book. Wonderful! David Duchemin is an artist of rare passion and (to use his word) vision. He encourages new photographers and teaches us how to pursue our own vision. After I read this book I felt invigorated, encouraged, and inspired. I also learned a lot about photography, though this isn't a typical "how to" book. This is a book that's good for a new photographer and photographers with a lot of experience. If you love photography, you have to read this book.
Riitta Toivonen
An exceptional photography book that reveals the heart of the photographer. The beautiful photography supports the compassionate and instructive text, focused on storytelling with images and creating a genuine rapport with the subjects. duChemin admits that it is never easy to walk up to his subject to ask for permission to photograph, but overcoming this fear will bring the greatest reward. "Photographing people is one of the joys and terrors of what I do."
Aug 01, 2012 Magda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and interesting book about photography. You don't even notice when you learn something while reading. It helps to guide you through the process of making a photo, concentrating more on the idea of the picture you want to receive, not only on the technical aspects.
I don't even need to mention all the great photos.
Simply - book you need to read, even if you know a lot about photography. Just for the pleasure of reading.
May 21, 2013 Steve added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Larry Lindell
Shelves: owned
This is just the kind of photography book that excites me but I wasn't looking for. My interest is in photographing people, places and ,if I'm fortunate to come into some money, cultures. I checked out the podcast first and think that the book would be a better way to go. The author has a great photography blog at pixelatedimage. I recommend that you read Life is Short.
Sep 16, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A generally good offering. At first look, I wasn't impressed by either the writing, nor the images that were chosen for inclusion. However, I found that both his style in writing as well as his examples of his photographic vision began to win me over. I found his presentation of knowledge/technique wearing well. I suspect I'll find much use from giving "Within the Frame" another reading, especially if I'm willing to think "outside the box."
Oct 19, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellend book. Instead of the usual f stops and telephoto tips, this is a book more about the theory and thinkinh behind creating great shots. duChemin is a great teacher (I would love to take a class) and I feel that this book will improve my photography in a way a book about where to find the exposure compensation control won't. I look forward to his new book!
Alexander Debkaliuk
Aug 21, 2012 Alexander Debkaliuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography

It's an easy and joyful read. The most important thing it did for me was removing some fears I had and made me sure about a few things in photography I had doubts about.

The book does contain a sound amount of pro tool tips as well.

Start with this book if you start with photography and absolutely do read it if you got stuck along the way.
Ray Dunsmore
Jul 13, 2015 Ray Dunsmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent primer for the art of photographic technique, always reminding you to be fully lucid and aware of everything that occurs in front of your lens and behind it while never losing grasp of your pure artistic drive, the little voice in your head that points you toward interesting subjects and says "Hey, what's that?" Extremely useful.
Zbyszek Sokolowski
Feb 13, 2013 Zbyszek Sokolowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photo
This is book especially for travelers. Some hints are very interesting, but after more than dozen of similar books this book is good but not impressive. But it contains buitiful pictures and smart, advises how to behave in foreign countries and what concerns while making pictures for example in temples
Mar 25, 2014 Borislav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on photographic vision, expression and composition. The good thing about it is the many question DuChemin makes you ask yourself as a photographer while you are reading his narrative and advice, and looking at his photos. If you are into photography, this book is a must-read.
Jun 08, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful photos with explanations of how and why most were done. But much more than that, this book talks about achieving your own vision when you take photos and tells stories of how his vision shaped his work.

I ended up ordering the book so that I can refer to it later.
Jan 02, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duchemin's approach is refreshingly based first on vision; equipment and technical ability, while necessary, are there to support your expression of your vision through photography. This book is both educational and inspiring.
Melissa Stottmann
Mar 13, 2013 Melissa Stottmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. More for a world traveler/wanderer but with great lessons for close to home and lots to think on.
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David duChemin is a world & humanitarian photographer, best-selling author, and international workshop leader.
More about David duChemin...

“The cliché comes not in what you shoot but in how you shoot it.” 17 likes
“Anyone can take a picture of poverty; it’s easy to focus on the dirt and hurt of the poor. It’s much harder—and much more needful—to pry under that dirt and reveal the beauty and dignity of people that, but for their birth into a place and circumstance different from our own, are just like ourselves. I want my images to tell the story of those people and to move us beyond pity to justice and mercy.” 16 likes