Canape's for the Kitties

Canape's for the Kitties

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When novelist Lucinda Lucas, a new resident of a writers colony, tries to kill off some of her cherished characters, feuds are born and resurrected and a murder has residents wondering if Life has imitated Art, or vice versa.
Audio CD
Published June 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1997)

Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #1 of 2 satirical "village cosies" concerning Lorinda Lucas, author, in peculiar Brimful Coffers, rural England, what a trip!

A burgeoning artists colony of writers in a small English village finds themselves not only in the sights of a dastardly practical joker, there’s also a serial killer lurking... The body count and the amount of mayhem is quite high, but it’s mostly played for laughs and has layers and layers of innuendo and irony, a number of totally ludicrous situaions and re...more
Terri
Dorian sets up a small writers colony type living community in a small British town. A place for writers to support each other. Only some of the residents are not a good fit at all.

What I really enjoyed was the characters. Lorinda, the main character is so sick of her series characters that she writes chapters killing them off as a form of release.

The mystery itself was rather weak. The killer and motive, forgettable. But it was still an enjoyable and funny (very tongue-in-cheek)read. And oh yes...more
Jen
Aug 11, 2008 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Kenzie
Pokes a lot of fun at serial mystery writers. I was awfully put off by the fact that the cats were unnecessarily in just about every scene - and if they weren't actually in the scene, the characters were talking about them. It was a cute enough book, but it took a very long time to get to the actual mystery. I was probably halfway through the book before I even discovered what the problem was. A harmless summer's day read for pet lovers and light serial mystery fans... otherwise, you'd be best t...more
Lynn Kay Vogt
A great fun read. Light British lit with an interesting plot of mystery writers who live in a village together and end up having the sort of thing they normally write about actually happening to them in real life. Combined with the whimsy of their pet cats, it made a nice read
Donna
This book is nothing but fun fluff. A village of mystery writers find themselves confronting all kinds of evils including their own detectives coming to life! Kitties and doggies and annoying Americans add to the fun. Nadia May is a wonderful narrator!
Kenzie
eh...not so good. i love mindless mysteries, but this was pretty mindless. I read through til the end, so it was good enough, and I didn't peg the murderer, which was also good, but i wouldn't necessarily go running out to buy this book.
Carrie
I really hate to give a book less than 3 stars. After attempting to listen to this audiobook no less than 3 times, I finally finished! It could have been the reader that did not hold my attention - or the many different characters. Whatever it was, I just did not care for this book much. Even the final ending of "who done it" just didn't add up from the earlier parts of the book. As far as cats in the story, I much prefer
Lilian Jackson Braun books. Oh, well, onward through my reading list.
Lynn
Marian Babson's books are always entertaining, and this one was no different. It was slow to start, bogged down in back story and character set-up that seemed to go nowhere, but once the murder occurred, everything came in a whoosh of excited activity and it was hard to put down. It's well worth the effort if you can drag yourself through the first 12 or so chapters. The mystery is not too complicated, and as a read, you figure out the answer to "who-done-it" long before the deed is done, and th...more
Phillis
This was a darling book. I listened to it on my MP3. The woman who did the reading had a wonderful british accent. She read all the parts wonderfully. The story takes place in Brimful Coffers, a lovely little colony of writers. But all is not well when there are some accidents and a few murders. The main characters have a variety of cats and dogs. Sometimes these cats and dogs don't get along which adds to the whole character of the place. I will be reading/listening to more books of this author...more
Katie Christian
Eh. Not bad, but not exactly enthralling either? I guess I shouldn't have had my hopes so high - I hate it when authors write characters that are writers, or when photographers take photos of cameras (and also dolls, but that's a different issue). I just find that sort of thing extremely uncreative, and if you're not feeling creative, don't write a book.
Monica
I really enjoy light mysteries, and Marian Babson's cat books fit the bill. You won't figure out whodunit, but just sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy the atmosphere. ***I have read other books of hers, but have found them slightly more disturbing and less fun than the ones that feature cats.
Beatnik  Mary
In response to Goodreads' new user policy, I have decided to no longer post reviews on this site. Instead you can read my review on my blog, Cozy Little Book Journal, or follow the link above.
Lisa R.
It was ok. Listened to it as an Audio Book. Got a little confusing when Lorinda was having pieces of her book read outloud. There was no indication that this was happening in the Audio version. I'm sure it was much easier to figure out in the print version.
I really enjoyed the bits about how the main characters, mystery novel writers, were sick of their protaganists and fantasized about killing them off. The murder and mystery are really secondary to the characters. Good escape.
Linda Famous
Best modern British murder mystery book I've read. It still has more character development than most American books, but there is some action (i.e., something actually happens!)
Susan Moore
What happens when you get a bunch of writers together who aren't as they seem? And, as a writer, do your characters sometimes get the best of you.
Theresa Sivelle
Another one I listened to in the car. Was a nice little mystery story. Cats are so smart.
Angela
Funny mystery about mystery writers and their pets living in an artist community.
Helen
interesting characterization of mystery writers and cats finding clues
Jane
I've definitely read worse mysteries, but I've also read far, far better.
Roseann
Easy read, maybe I'll read another some day.
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Oz
Oz marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jovana
Jovana marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon...more
More about Marian Babson...
Only the Cat Knows The Twelve Deaths of Christmas Please Do Feed the Cat The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6) To Catch a Cat