Start by marking “Peach Heaven” as Want to Read:
Peach Heaven

Peach Heaven

Based on the author's childhood in South Korea

The white peaches grown in Puchon are the best in all South Korea, and a rare treat for a little girl who lives in the town. She dreams of a peach orchard where she can play and eat as much of the delicious fruit as she wishes. Then one day, after weeks of heavy downpours, the sky begins to rain peaches. Yangsook finds herself
Published May 6th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Peach Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peach Heaven

NS-Christine Johnson
Sep 29, 2009 NS-Christine Johnson rated it really liked it
Yangsook lives in a a town in South Korea known for their delicious peaches. Yangsook doesn't get to have peaches very often because of how expensive they are. She daydreams of a "peach heaven" where the children play in the peach orchards and eat peaches all day! One night, heavy rains fall and carry the peaches all the way from the mountain orchard to the town. It looks like it's raining peaches! Yangsook gathers the peaches in her umbrella, and her family feasts on the delicious treats. It wa ...more
Andrea Perrin
Aug 14, 2008 Andrea Perrin rated it it was amazing
Reading this made me want to eat peaches! How great to have students look at a common fruit we eat in the summertime and read this story about how important peaches were to the farmers of this community across the world.
Lindsay Niebuhr
May 26, 2017 Lindsay Niebuhr rated it liked it
This story is about a young Korean girl and her search for the beautiful white peaches. I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars because of its gorgeous illustrations and multicultural storytelling.
Linda
Feb 02, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: asian-american
Peach Heaven is a story of a young Korean girl, Yangsook, who lives near the village famous for their peaches. more than anything. In fact she loves peaches and their sweetness so much that she chooses to complete her homework assignment about them. Yet one day one of the worst hailstorms in history destroys the peach farmers crops. So Yangsook and her friends devise a plan to help the farmers.

The author wrote this story based on her own vivid recollections of the storm that made the peaches ra
L11-Mary Utterback
Although this story has little text the author does a wonderful job of capturing the reader's mind through great imagery. As I read through this book I could just imagine what it would be like for a little girl to see peaches raining down from the sky. I appreciated the author giving us some background knowledge on the town of Puchon where she grew up. The story of the flood and peaches was real but the way she told it through a little girl's eyes was impressive and added so much to the story.
Megan Richards
Nov 01, 2010 Megan Richards rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a well written story about an incident that happened during the author's childhood in Puchon, Korea. The rain came down so vigorously that it knocked the peaches from the orchards in the country and rained peaches in the city. All the towns people gathered the peaches and took them back to the farmers. Yangsook added a short note at the end to highlight the peach's significance in Korean culture. Beautiful oriental illustrations that match the story. I choose this book fo ...more
528_Mary F.
Nov 08, 2011 528_Mary F. rated it it was amazing
Yangsook Choi writes this book about a Korean town famous for wonderful peaches. The trees surround the young Yangsook, but the fruit is too expensive for their family. She tells the story from her point of view. One day after a storm, the rain sends peaches down the mountain and they catch them with an umbrella. Yangsook eats like crazy but worries the farmers will lose their crops.

It is a book for younger children K-2.

Categories:
Korea

Author of The Na
M Lee
Jul 01, 2015 M Lee rated it it was amazing
Set in the town of Puchon in South Korea, Peach Heaven is a lovely story of a girl, Yangsook, during a downpour so heavy that peaches from a mountain showered down like hailstones. This is also a story about peaches and helping others. The illustration style is beautiful and distinctive. I also like the author's note page at the end that describes the actual event in 1976, on which the story is based on.
Monique
May 18, 2016 Monique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Read a blog about Asian writers of children's books last week and decided to read some in order to learn more about their culture. Found this gem...delightful story with the historical importance stated at the end. The importance of family, strength of community and love for nature are displayed for all to see. Illustrations are amazing.
Elizabeth Sandlund
Feb 27, 2013 Elizabeth Sandlund rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit-love
This book gives a multicultural perspective from something other than "African Americans." Often diversity comes in the form of only black and white which does not accurately portray the society we live in. This is a quality book that uncovers some true cultural traditions outside of the united states.
Claire Noland
Jul 16, 2015 Claire Noland rated it it was amazing
I read this book as I was doing a post on peaches for my blog. This lovely book is based on a true event when exquisite peaches fell from the trees during a storm and ended up in the author's town. Beautiful prose. beautiful illustrations. Set in Korea.
Sung Baick
Feb 02, 2011 Sung Baick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity, korea
It's always neat to see books written about your own culture and people. This book would be a great add to a collection of diverse culture books. There is also a little information about Korea and peaches at the end of the book.
Thecajungirl
Feb 16, 2014 Thecajungirl rated it really liked it
This book is lovely. It is a picture book with beautiful illustrations and a sweet story.
Jan 13, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
this is mine and Isabelle's favorite book ever! Definitely favorite children's book! We get it every time we go to the library!
Elizabeth
Based on the author's own recollections of an event from her childhood.

The illustrations are lovely.
Tanika Martin
I thought this book was a good demonstration of how being unselfish can be rewarding to you.
ah

Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Jennifer Conner
Jennifer Conner rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2009
Shannon Ozirny
Shannon Ozirny rated it liked it
May 11, 2007
Luisa
Luisa rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Am.Aversa
In a small village in Korea, peaches were the biggest export. Based on real life events, the author describes a strong storm that brought all of the peaches down the mountain. After eating as many as she could, the author and her community help bring the peaches back up the mountain to the farmer.
Genre: Historical Fiction

(This is the book that I was trying to remember in class!)
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
George
George rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Julie Jackson
Julie Jackson rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016