Start by marking “Only the Paranoid Survive: How to Exploit the Crisis Points That Challenge Every Company” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,195 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Under Andy Grove's leadership, Intel has become the world's largest chip maker and one of the most admired companies in the world. In Only the Paranoid Survive, Grove reveals his strategy of focusing on a new way of measuring the nightmare moment every leader dreads--when massive change occurs and a company must, virtually overnight, adapt or fall by the wayside.

Grove call
Published May 5th 2010 by Crown Business (first published April 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Only the Paranoid Survive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only the Paranoid Survive

Erwin
Only The Paranoid Survive

Key Quotes:
"The replacement of corporate heads is far more motivated by the need to bring in someone who is not invested in the past than to get somebody who is a better leader or better manager in other ways."
---Andy Grove, Only the Paranoid Survive (p127)

Strategic change doesn't just start at the top, it starts with your calendar. ---(p146)

"Put all of your eggs in one basket, then WATCH THAT BASKET"
--- Mark Twain

Ask yourself:
'Will going to this meeting teach me about t
Saurabh Hooda
I picked this book because it was referred by Ben Horowitz (http://bhorowitz.com/2011/04/15/peace...). Other reason being the book's interesting title which somehow conveyed to me that it must be a book about how Andy Grove was paranoid (in good sense) enough to make Intel an Awesome company.

But as soon as started the book I become disappointed because it's not the book I thought it to be. Its not about Andy Grove being tough CEO or his paranoid decisions. It's is just like any other common busi
Tirath
I had heard so much about this book being a classic, and I finally read it.
Whats lovely is that it was written in 1996, and he lays out the principles of how to prepare for, deal with and manage change - especially when it comes to a change in how the business works...
When industries/ structures/ networks change - it can ruin organisations or catapult them to dominant positions. It is also a signal to either scale up in that direction or retreat completely out of the current one.

It's also a bril
Preston Williams
John
Surprisingly readable book about what it's like to be at a company at the moment when it has to either change the way it operates or go into a decline.

That said, I wish I were not the kind of person who now reads business books for fun.
Liam
"I'm often credited with the motto, 'Only the paranoid survive.' I have no idea when I first said this, but the fact remains that, when it comes to business, I believe in the value of paranoia. Business success contains the seeds of its own destruction." (3)

"Our mood was downbeat. I looked out the window at the Ferris wheel of the Great America amusement park revolving in the distance, then I turned back to Gordon and I asked, 'If we got kicked out and the board brought in a new CEO, what do you
Gabriel Pinkus
Great insights from a successful leaders of a successful company in a rapidly changing market.

I think this is a great book leaders of corporations should read, especially with how to view changes in the marketplace and how to benefit from employees seeing them before you do.

A few things I took away that I'll never forget:

1. As CEO, you are the last person to see external changes that affect your company. Lower level people detect the winds of change before you do, because they're out in the fie
José Antonio Lopez
Andy Grove published this book in 1996, a year before Clayton Christensen's "The Innovators Dilemma". Reading Grove is a description of what it meant to be inside an Strategic Inflection Point (Disruptions) and survive. His advice for entrepreneurs, managers, and professionals is as current as it was almost 20 years ago.

Another gold mint in the book is Grove's vision of the future. Now that the future was revealed we can appreceate how Intel leadership prepare and succeed. 20 yrs ago lots of pe
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
We must discipline ourselves to overcome our tendency to do too little too late. ~ Andrew S. Grove

This book is all about Strategic Inflection Points in a business and how to survive and thrive while you are going through one.

Andrew S. Grove shares his personal experiences he faced with the Intel Corporation while they got out of memory chips and began to shift their focus exclusively to microprocessors.

The management guru, Peter Drucker, recommends this book and states, "This terrific book is a
Khalid Almoghrabi
Andy is a shrewd leader who took Intel company from a fail to become a success story all over the world. besides chronological events he shows how a company sooner or later will suffer in a turmoil and only the paranoid and surfing against the waves, inflection points, would help out.
This book is a strategy-focused and would benefit any person with needed leadership skills.
Brad Felix
Andy Grove (ex-Intel CEO) is an effective, take-charge leader, which is exactly what is needed when firms encounter a strategic inflection point. These periods of time are hit by all companies and the result is binary - they either rise to the occasion and elevate the business to a new level or it marks the high water mark for the firm's success.

My biggest takeaways from the book reflect how an organization can die when they hit these sticking points. Similar to Ben Horowitz's book, The Hard Thi
Kunal
"Nobody owes you a career. Your career is your business."

This is still quite a classic book, twenty years after it was written. Grove delves deep into strategic inflection points, and asks you to look at these -- both for yourself and your company. Because after all, as in every business, you will be staring down a Minsky Moment, and what you do next determines the course of your future.

The last chapter, written in 1996, on the emergence of the Internet is quite a gem -- you can see in it, the f
Andy
-Nobody owes you a career. Your career is your business.
-The competitive well-being of a company can be measured by:
1)The power and competence of a company's competitors
2)The power and competence of a company's suppliers
3)The power and competence of a company's customers
4)The power and competence of a company's potential customers
5)The possibility that your product or service can be delivered in a different way
6)The force of complementors
-"Don't differentiate without a difference"
-When opportuni
Patrick
Stopped at page 155 after the pace slowed and it became a little redundant.

What I learned:
* Middle Managers serve a purpose: "Simply by doing their daily work, these middle managers were adjusting Intel's strategic posture. By the time we [senior management:] made the decision to exit the memory business, only one out of eight silicon fabrication plants was producing memories. The exit decision had less drastic consequences as a result of the actions of our middle managers."

* Ask these questions
Ilya
Andrew Grove was one of the cofounders of Intel Corp., and its CEO in 1987-1998. In this position, he made several right decisions. One was to divest the company of its memory business and concentrate on microprocessors: it couldn't compete with Japanese memory chip manufacturers anyway. When the Pentium floating-point division bug was discovered, the bad publicity prompted Intel to offer to exchange the processor to any end consumer; this offer cost the company half a billion dollars, but it re ...more
Omar Halabieh
Below are excerpts from the book that summarize the key points presented by the author:

1- "Business success contains the seeds of its own destruction. The more successful you are, the more people want a chunk of your business and then another chunk and then another until there is nothing left. I believe that the prime responsibility of a manager is to guard constantly against other people's attacks and to inculcate this guardian attitude in the people under his or her management."

2- "We all need
David
This book discusses some really important ideas, primarily the "10x forces" that fundamentally change businesses and the "strategic inflection points" during which an industry is transformed by these "10x forces" (yes, he quotes that term everywhere it appears in the book). Grove explores these ideas using his experience as CEO during Intel's switch from making memories to making microprocessors in the late 80's as the primary example, but he emphasizes that these ideas are not unique to the tec ...more
Upom
An interesting and concise book about "strategic inflection points", points at which the fundamentals of a business change dramatically due to 10x forces. Grove recounts his experiences at Intel when the company underwent a strategic inflection point due to the Japanese entering the memory chip market . Grove provides practical advice on how to identify strategic inflection points, how to deal with them in the short-term and the long-term. Grove's method can be summarized with the following step ...more
Vince
Finally caught up with this classic. I enjoyed the book from two angles:
1) As insight into a mind who led a company (Intel) through tremendous growth
2) As a history of the period (one I well remember) told by an insider

The book rewarded both angles. Grove's theory of Strategic Inflection points, how to identify them, how to respond is worth considering. He offers a concise and useful summary and expansion on Porter's Five Forces. He offers interesting commentary on the Pentium Floating Point err
deep
The Intel way to manage strategic inflection points - the seismic changes in business that can have only a binary outcome. Grove stresses the importance of tuning into company Cassandras on the front lines and in middle management. At 10,000 feet, he advocates the need to let chaos reign and challenge past assumptions through critical analysis and debate. Then, top management must rein back in the chaos with clear and consistent marching orders. Ideals that few would argue with, but don't always ...more
Dan Pfeiffer
Strategic inflection points in business, career and life are important to be ever aware of. Grove's writing style is clear, concise and adept at fostering immediate conceptual understanding by the reader. The last 20 pages are somewhat dated as they pertain to the nascent Internet but the book is certainly a classic. It came highly recommended to me by key players in the industry in which I happily toil and I can now see why. Change, both obvious and hidden are something you must be ever aware o ...more
Evan
This book is an interesting addendum to Grove's much more focused High Output Management, but is not in the same league as that classic.

Grove focuses on three topics: "10x changes," the namesake for Google X; "Strategic inflection points," which refer to disruptive innovation by another name; and "constructive confrontation," a management style meant to encourage employees to voice dissenting opinions.

This book is a bit repetitive but (and?) is a quick read; as a starting point, I'd recommend Hi
Hari Mohan
Dec 15, 2014 Hari Mohan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business; Strategy; Change Management
Only the Paranoid Survive by Andrew S Grove will be a nice addition to your business bookshelf. Through this book Andrew introduces what he calls "The Strategic Inflection Points" or simply SIPs to explain how powerful (10X) change can be in business and career. It's easy in language and lighter on your pocket. Overall, a small book on strategy and change management that you can't afford to overlook.
Ami Iida
It is the best one book to decipher the history of Intel.

This is the autobiography of founder.

This book's theme is twofold.
One is the innovation of micro Professor.

And one is a strategy to sell it.
This book focuses on the latter.

This is a great book to decipher the strategy.
Of course Moore's Law in the semiconductor has also been described.
Tom
Three stars because the book has some great points about pivoting when your industry changes and Grove must be given credit for teaching this lesson to a generation of leaders after him.

My issue was that I have read the books of the following generation. Specifically, Reid Hoffman's Start Up of You sums up Grove's most tractable points. I don't question that it's Grove's insights from which we benefit, it just came as a re-run since Hoffman stole them.

The book also suffers from being dated. (Pu
Abdulrahman
Written by the transformational CEO of Intel, this book taught me all i need to know about strategic inflection points and the ability to make a decision once we hit them.
Ashton Dene'
One of the best management books I've read, very interesting and informative from both a business & career perspective.
Alex Snyatkov
High respect to Andrew Grove, but this book is too long and too repetetive. Try to find condensed blog post about it.
TarasProkopyuk
Эта книга от одного из отцов легендарной компании Intel будет очень полезна особенно предпринимателям в вопросах предупреждения кризиса их бизнеса.

Зачастую кризис похож на водоворот, но о нём как правило стаёт известно, когда с него уже невозможно выбраться. Автор подскажет как вовремя определять такие водовороты, как уберечься от пагубного воздействия, или же бездействия личного человеческого фактора, когда принятие управленческих и стратегических решений нужны было реализовать ещё "вчера".

И е
Viraj
Sep 02, 2014 Viraj rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Intel employees
Very good read. Intel actually has the culture mentioned in this book. Great book, great company...
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Competing for the Future
  • The HP Way: How Bill Hewlett And I Built Our Company
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Moments of Truth
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
Andrew Stephen ("Andy") Grove (born 2 September 1936), is a Hungarian-born American businessman, engineer, and author. He is a science pioneer in the semiconductor industry. He escaped from Communist-controlled Hungary at the age of 20 and moved to the United States where he finished his education. He later became CEO of Intel Corporation and helped transform the company into the world's largest m ...more
More about Andrew S. Grove...
High Output Management Swimming Across: A Memoir One-on-One Andy Grove Strategy Is Destiny: How Strategy-Making Shapes a Company's Future Strategic Dynamics: Concepts and Cases

“The Lesson is, we all need to expose ourselves to the winds of change” 12 likes
“strategic changes doesn't just start at the top. It starts with your calender” 6 likes