Emperor Mage (The Immortals #3)
Popular Answered Questions
That said, I have notes.
1. Who sends Alanna, she of the infamous temper, to a notoriously volatile empire as a diplomat? Doesn't that sound... stupid? I love Alanna, but I don't think Carthak is the right place for her. Which is seen, by the way, when the emperor de ...more
Daine may seem cute with her crunchy granola, tree-hugging, “save the whales” exterior but i ...more
Daine, her master, Numair, the King's Champion, Alanna, and other Tortall diplomats head to Carthak to try to negotiate peace and keep the two countries from war. Daine's mission is specifically to heal the Emperor Mage's beloved birds. But Daine sees an old slave woman who shouldn't be there and gets warnings from the Beaver God to stay away.
Let me preface this review with the note that I listened to this on audiobook and thus may grossly mispell the name ...more
In this volume, Daine goes to Carthak and finally gets to confront their power-hungry Emperor, who caused the trouble she faced in the first two books. Along the way, of course, she makes friends with new animals and experien ...more
In order to stave off the potentially devastating consequences of war on their small kingdom, a mission of all the knights you remember from previous books in order to wage peace, as well as heal the Emperor's birds, whom he cares about more than life itself ...more
A few things:
1) It is always easier to find fault in others than in oneself. Yes, slavery is bad in any form. But does the whole Tortall vs. Carthak culture need to be set up so preachy? Why is one superior to another? Is Tortall an ideal country with perfect citizens with perfect morals living perfect lives? No. So why is there a good Tortall and bad Carthak vibe going on?
2) There is this one sentence that seemed really strange to me and I'm wondering if it i ...more
A few things:
1. Tortall has very modern attitudes, given it's vaguely medieval in a lot of ways. They're not so jarring when you're in Tortall, but given that apparently every other country has very different attitudes, it starts to grate. In the sense that Tortall is almost too perfect.
2. GARY/HIS PAPERS.
3. Alanna was fun. I enjoy her and Daine's friendship.
4. Daine and Kaddar were interesting together as well, in a friendly way.
5. I sec ...more
Daine is 'invited' along with a ragtag group of Tortallian delegates to attempt to arrange peace between Tortall and Carthak. She's supposed to heal birds, discovers she can heal the dead, and ends up in Revenge!mode after a series of (hilarious) misunderstandings.
1. I will be blunt: I am increasingly disappointed in these books. I can just about taste the fascinating, intricate, complex story of a girl who is unwittingly growing into a conduit between the Divine Rea ...more
(view spoiler)[I am kind of glad though that Dain ...more
EMPEROR MAGE follows the story of Daine, now fifteen years old, a girl with the rare power of "wild magic" that gives her an extraordinary affinity with animals. With her wild magic, Daine can communicate with animals, see the world through their senses, and even transform herself into one, all skills that the first two books of THE IMMORTALS series have shown her develop.
In this third book, the stakes are raised as Daine accompanies an ambassadoria ...more
Daine, Numair and Alanna journey to Carthak, in the hope that if Daine can heal the Emperor Ozorne prized birds, it will help the peace process between Carthak and Tortall. However, Daine get mixed up in both political and religious situations as the Goddess, the Graveyard Hag, gives her a power which could ruin everything. This series has everything it has magic, action, romance and a story which draws you in and y ...more
The adventure never stops in this book there is always someone new to be watching. Evil never sits, the constant talk of plots. The sound of heart ac and betrayal. The revels of new powers to bring bones from the dead, and the fight to the death. An exciting eye opening story of magic.
The Author writes mostly fantasy. She has many series and it is a very confusing stories. Many of her series are all the same people but with their own stories and tales. So a lot of the time to be abl ...more
As always, we’re going to start with the cover. I still dislike these covers. In fact, this one is the absolute worst. I do enjoy the font because I’ve come to associate this style ...more
Daine is se ...more
Note to Self:
Veralidaine Sarrasri("Daine",15yo,wild magic magelet,guardian, god child,pal) & Cloud(her pony),Skysong(dragonet,"Kitten",ward,pal),"Numair Salmalín"Arram Draper(war mage,mentor, pal1),Alanna the Lioness(Kings Champion,mage,pal),Royal Highness Kaddar Gazanoi Iliniat(Prince Siraj,duke,count, 16yo,heir,nephew,mage,new pal,new Emperor),Duke Gareth ...more
All I can say is that I hope King Jon realizes what a treasure the kingdom of Tortall has in Daine! And Daine is beginning to see Numair with a different eye than that of a young girl…more that of a young woman.
It's another moral tale ...more
At first I thought it was a little strange that this book didn't take place in Tortall, and I did miss Cloud because of how wonderfully she differs from Daine, but the setting was really fantastic. The tension and the politics really kept me interested and dying to know what was going to happen next.
The villain was...more
Daine's getting more and more super-powered was a little annoying, but at least there were good reasons for it, but I do wish the other characters existed for more than props for Daine to interact with when needed. It's been thr ...more
-Daine. She has full control of her powers in this book, aside from the temporary power granted to her by the graveyard hag, and Daine has become a young woman in this book. She’s matured and grown and she’s become respected by her peers. She’s not my favorite heroine in the Realm of Tortall, but she’s still pretty cool. I’m envious of her bond with animals and her ability to make friends everywhere she goes.
-Palace life. There was fancy clothing, beautiful banquets, dancing, and po ...more
|What if you had wild magic too, and the Graveyard Hag gave you the same power? What would you do, then?||3||13||Feb 07, 2014 09:18PM|
|Nothing But Readi...: Pierce, Tamora ; Emperor Mage (The Immortals #3) ;"Informal Buddy Read" ; Start Date 14 September 2013||7||117||Sep 16, 2013 09:38PM|
|Favorite?!||9||50||May 28, 2013 07:19AM|
I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro ...more