Start by marking “Alice in Zombieland” as Want to Read:
Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland

3.28  ·  Rating Details ·  1,929 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
Can Alice escape Zombieland before the Dead Red Queen catches up to her?

When little Alice falls asleep, she finds herself in an undead nightmare of rotting flesh and insanity. Following a talking rat, she ventures further into this land of zombies and monsters.

There’s also something else troubling poor Alice: her skin is rotting and her hair is falling out. She’s cold and
Published March 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks (first published December 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Zombieland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Zombieland

Jasmine
Apr 03, 2011 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, british
Karen sacrificed this book to me cause I was so excited when I saw it. I felt bad taking it from her, but I NEEDED it. I am obsessed with alice and wonderland, then way that I'm obsessed with peter pan. I think in fact she is the female version of peter pan.

but when I think of alice I don't think of this:

I think of this:

Do you want to know a secret? (view spoiler)

I mean you totally lose the impor
Amy Jacobs
Mar 07, 2011 Amy Jacobs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
When asked to review this book, I was a little hesitant in accepting. I liked Alice in Wonderland as a child, and I wasn't too sure I wanted to see what changes would be made to this classic story. I was curious though after reading some Austen remakes that are being retold the same way. So I fell through the rabbit hole and began the journey with Alice.

After only a few pages of the book, I knew this was going to be hard to get through. The writing wasn't favorable in the fact that it had a ton
Meghan
Mar 15, 2012 Meghan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one. Sorry!
Shelves: fiction-zombies
I loved Alice in Wonderland and was pretty stoked to finally be able to find this. I was not, however, much encouraged to finish :(

I slogged through it and after a promising and pretty cute beginning, it just got pretty boring. It honestly just felt like the "co-author" cut and paste certain sections of the original and then added his own zombie bits to them that made the entire story just awkward, hard to read and thoroughly un-entertaining, at least for me. What writing he did do was stilted
J.C.
Apr 05, 2011 J.C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun reading this. You may not. It depends on your sensibilities and expectations.

First of all, this is a humor book. The reader is asked to lighten up and go along for the ride. To have fun and not to dwell too heavily on the fact that there is little originality to the story except for the characterizations and some of the settings.

As some reviewers have noted, and criticized Cook for, is the sense that he did not make this work his own as much as Seth Grahame-Smith did with Pr
Amy Seraphina
Jun 02, 2011 Amy Seraphina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god! Doesn't even deserve half a star. A few pages in and I was instantly annoyed with this book. I knew this was a mash up and excited to get it in the mail, but i was hoping for some really witty macabre tale using Alice in wonderland as a base.
I hold the original story close to my heart and I defend it against butchers like this... This... "author". It reminded me of Tim Burton's butchery of Alice last year (the only good thing was Johnny depp).
The way the author just replaced parts an
James Blatter
So much potential, so much chaos and unmet potential
Zoey Sneed
Anita
May 03, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice in ZombieLand
AUTHOR: Lewis Carrol/Nickolas Cook
GENRE: Classic/Horror Mash-up
FORM: Book – Advance Review Copy

SYNOPSIS: Alice and her sister go out to the graveyard to do her reading lesson when she gets distracted and sees a black rat checking his watch. Curious, Alice follows the black rat into a hole, and finds herself in a land where the creatures are zombies and ruled by an overbearing Red Queen. Alice finds that she herself is becoming more and more zombie-like and desperately seeks a
Heather Pearson
May 09, 2011 Heather Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Sourcebooks
I have read and watched a variety of Alice based books and movies since I was young. None of them have held my attention like this version. Alice in Zombieland kept me laughing page after page. I couldn't help but compare each of the scenes with my memory of how it was presented in a more traditional rendition. Alice is still a sweet, innocent girl, though her perfectly pressed dress and starched pinafore does take quite a beating and bloodying.

The story starts with Alice and her sister outside
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
"Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!"
I have never read Alice in Wonderland and I am not sure if I should have read that before this book or not. I know the basics of the story, but you put zombies in it and it gets a LOT weirder.

So Alice follows a Black Rat instead of a White Rabbit down a grave and into the world of Zombie land. In Zombieland everything is pretty much dead. Alice starts to get hungry for flesh but she doesn't understand why. It's not till she meets the Cheshire Cat that she lea
Erin
Mar 25, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When author Lewis Carroll took Alice through the looking glass in 1871, little did he know that a much more gruesome nightmare awaited his dear Alice. When 1864 Alice woke up in a land of wonder, 2011 Alice awoke to a land of the living dead ruled by a power hungry, yet very human, queen.

Forced to listen to her lessons from her sister as they sit their favorite cemetery, Alice notices a black rat who seems to be in a hurry. More startling, he has a pocket watch and was quite verbally worried ab
Dani
Nov 21, 2012 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely the book I was looking for when I wanted to read "Alice in Zombieland" the first time around. This is also a book you will either love or hate once you're finished reading it. And I say "once you're finished reading it" since it's actually a rather fast read even with it being 256 pages for the ebook version.

This book is exactly what the title says-it's Alice in Wonderland with the addition of zombies. And it was a weird read. There were points I wasn't sure how to feel abou
Cheryl
Mar 31, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice was sitting with her sister outside on the bank. Alice wished she was in the graveyard instead. She loved walking through the graveyard. Suddenly, Alice sees a black rat. A black rat is nothing to awe about but a talking black rat is. The rat goes racing by chanting about being late. Alice takes off after the rat and follows him. Alice ends up in a strange and bizarre world…filled with odd creatures. All Alice can think about is the horrific craving she has for eating fresh meat. What is t ...more
Deborah Isner
Jan 27, 2012 Deborah Isner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although the idea was intriguing, once I began reading the book I quickly became disenchanted. I was looking for a new story, a further adventure where she ends up with zombies. Instead, I got a frankly, very near plagiarized Alice in Wonderland, with the occasional morose or creepy word replacing one in the book. I enjoy NEW stories. I enjoy new twists on old stories. I enjoy originality, however the author seems to sack originality & instead stands on the cusp of plagiarism just to make a ...more
Alexandra Rolo
Oct 30, 2012 Alexandra Rolo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Depois de ler os clássicos Alice in Wonderland e Through the Looking-glass este ano, não resisti a devorar o Alice in Zombieland assim que o apanhei na kindle store.
Foi uma leitura verdadeiramente deliciosa em que podemos acompanhar a evolução de Alice, de menina que gostava de brincar em cemitérios a zombie, neste estranho e horrível mundo em que se viu depois de cair numa sepultura...
Quando já conhecemos os originais não conseguimos não achar graça a esta versão alterada das aventuras de Alice
Julia
May 14, 2011 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories- that being said, I really enjoyed Alice in Zombieland. Wonderland is already an eccentric place, so I felt that turning it into a Zombieland wasn't too far fetched and the new world fit right into the story. This novel was a lot of fun for me, I love the horror twists on old classics.

This book is disturbing and humorous. A really light, quick read. The illustrations are fabulous. It isn't the typical zombie mash-up, either. I have seen some rev
Joseph Barnes
Alice follows a Black Rat instead of a White Rabbit down a grave and into the world of Zombie land. In Zombieland everything is dead. Alice starts to get hungry for flesh but she doesn't understand why. She eventually learns she is a zombie in a world of zombies.

This was a cute take on Alice in Wonderland. I will say however I got the impression the Author had Alice in Wonderland opened on a table and just copied what he saw. He then went back and changed everyone into zombies. Not very orginal
Fanny Towns
As a fan of Alice Alice in Wonderland...and zombies, I saw this book and couldn't wait to start reading. This book started out like many other books do, slow. So I did not think much of it, but before I knew it, I was to the middle of the story, still waiting for it to get interesting. When I eventually finished the book, I was quite disappointed that it was not as great as I thought it would be. Of course that just may be my own opinion, but I would not read this book again nor recommend it to ...more
Peyton
Mar 23, 2012 Peyton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
How this dreck survived an editor's desk is beyond me. Instead of writing an all-out adaptation, Cook just inserted the words "zombie" and "dead" willy-nilly throughout Carroll's masterwork. The result is a Victorian novel full of Victorian puns and Tarantino-like gore. I can't help but wonder if the "author", "editors", and marketers of this slop were themselves alive, because it's a lot easier to imagine them desperately seeking brains.
Geraldine O'Hagan
May 02, 2013 Geraldine O'Hagan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The original text of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with the words "rabbit", "frog" "fish" and "bread and butter" replaced with "rat" "dead" "dead" and "dismembered hand" respectively, plus a badly-written one-page back-story inserted into the middle of the Mad Hatter's tea party. Also, everyone is zombies. That's it.
Nikki
Dec 31, 2011 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fiction
Brilliant, clever humor! Amazing how few words actually need to be changed to create a different story. I deeply love the original classic, and I had a blast reading this revision! Wonderland was perfectly primed to be turned into Zombieland. From the revamped Tenniel sketches to the details of Alice's peculiar hunger, this book is quite entertaining. I would actually love to see it make it onto the big screen!
Samantha
Interesting book. Borrowed the e-book from the public library. Quick read, not very long. Easy to finish within a day if theres enough time, took me 3 and I read a few chapters a day before bedtime. Not as wonderful as the original, but its fun enough and quick enough to be enjoyable. Would I read it again, pry not, but was it worth the first read through, yes.
Jitka
Jan 14, 2013 Jitka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tak jsem to nakonec dočetla...ale vážně to byla přesně takový ztráta času, jak se od začátku zdálo. Jestli někdy budete chtít číst knihu " Alice in Zombieland ", dejte si sakra pozor, co rozečítáte. Knih se stejným názvem je hned několik :)
Lia Barley
Jun 28, 2014 Lia Barley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I expect: a fun take on Alice in Wonderland that fed my love of Zombies. It was quick and enjoyable and the illustrations just added to it in a way I loved.
Mandy
Sep 21, 2011 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
where were the zombies? she fell, walked around hungry, saw a room of them, woke up. total letdown. no brains. no blood. no gore. no fun.
Stef
Feb 09, 2017 Stef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I love the concept behind books like these: Take a story in the public domain and make it absurd with modern language and behaviors and/or add lots of ghoulish gore. I totally got behind "Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies" and wanted to read books of a similar ilk, but there are no surprises here: Again, it's a classic work interspersed with new and gruesome details. I abandoned this early on -- when Alice is drinking and tasting things off the table -- and appreciated that the White Rabbit is now a ...more
Kata Mart
Dec 24, 2016 Kata Mart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book that should have taken me an hour to read, stretched out for days. I honestly kept falling asleep. It lacked finesse and the morbid elements quickly became overdone. What I hoped was quirky retelling of a classic story just failed miserably.
Mary
Jan 24, 2017 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disliked this book very much. Was just Black Rat not a White Rabbit. Same hole, just a little too gross for my taste . A Lot of the same characters just zombied up.
Will Cutforth
Mar 13, 2017 Will Cutforth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you take it for what it is, it's a humerous short story that is light hearted. I enjoyed it anyway
Chris
Jan 05, 2017 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, horror, thriller
Just finished it and I have to say really not my cup of tea even though every now and again a good zombie story should be read but combining both just didn't do it for me.
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • Emma and the Vampires
  • I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights
  • Romeo & Juliet & Vampires