Start by marking “Alice in Zombieland” as Want to Read:
Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,689 ratings  ·  213 reviews
Can Alice escape Zombieland before the Dead Red Queen catches up to her?

When little Alice falls asleep, she finds herself in an undead nightmare of rotting flesh and insanity. Following a talking rat, she ventures further into this land of zombies and monsters.

There’s also something else troubling poor Alice: her skin is rotting and her hair is falling out. She’s cold and
Published March 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks (first published December 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Zombieland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Zombieland

Jasmine
Karen sacrificed this book to me cause I was so excited when I saw it. I felt bad taking it from her, but I NEEDED it. I am obsessed with alice and wonderland, then way that I'm obsessed with peter pan. I think in fact she is the female version of peter pan.

but when I think of alice I don't think of this:

I think of this:

Do you want to know a secret? (view spoiler)

I mean you totally lose the impor
Amy Jacobs
When asked to review this book, I was a little hesitant in accepting. I liked Alice in Wonderland as a child, and I wasn't too sure I wanted to see what changes would be made to this classic story. I was curious though after reading some Austen remakes that are being retold the same way. So I fell through the rabbit hole and began the journey with Alice.

After only a few pages of the book, I knew this was going to be hard to get through. The writing wasn't favorable in the fact that it had a ton
Meghan
Mar 15, 2012 Meghan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one. Sorry!
Shelves: fiction-zombies
I loved Alice in Wonderland and was pretty stoked to finally be able to find this. I was not, however, much encouraged to finish :(

I slogged through it and after a promising and pretty cute beginning, it just got pretty boring. It honestly just felt like the "co-author" cut and paste certain sections of the original and then added his own zombie bits to them that made the entire story just awkward, hard to read and thoroughly un-entertaining, at least for me. What writing he did do was stilted
J.C.
I had a lot of fun reading this. You may not. It depends on your sensibilities and expectations.

First of all, this is a humor book. The reader is asked to lighten up and go along for the ride. To have fun and not to dwell too heavily on the fact that there is little originality to the story except for the characterizations and some of the settings.

As some reviewers have noted, and criticized Cook for, is the sense that he did not make this work his own as much as Seth Grahame-Smith did with Pr
Amy Seraphina
Oh my god! Doesn't even deserve half a star. A few pages in and I was instantly annoyed with this book. I knew this was a mash up and excited to get it in the mail, but i was hoping for some really witty macabre tale using Alice in wonderland as a base.
I hold the original story close to my heart and I defend it against butchers like this... This... "author". It reminded me of Tim Burton's butchery of Alice last year (the only good thing was Johnny depp).
The way the author just replaced parts an
James Blatter
So much potential, so much chaos and unmet potential
Erin
When author Lewis Carroll took Alice through the looking glass in 1871, little did he know that a much more gruesome nightmare awaited his dear Alice. When 1864 Alice woke up in a land of wonder, 2011 Alice awoke to a land of the living dead ruled by a power hungry, yet very human, queen.

Forced to listen to her lessons from her sister as they sit their favorite cemetery, Alice notices a black rat who seems to be in a hurry. More startling, he has a pocket watch and was quite verbally worried ab
Dani
This was definitely the book I was looking for when I wanted to read "Alice in Zombieland" the first time around. This is also a book you will either love or hate once you're finished reading it. And I say "once you're finished reading it" since it's actually a rather fast read even with it being 256 pages for the ebook version.

This book is exactly what the title says-it's Alice in Wonderland with the addition of zombies. And it was a weird read. There were points I wasn't sure how to feel abou
Heather Pearson
May 09, 2011 Heather Pearson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Sourcebooks
I have read and watched a variety of Alice based books and movies since I was young. None of them have held my attention like this version. Alice in Zombieland kept me laughing page after page. I couldn't help but compare each of the scenes with my memory of how it was presented in a more traditional rendition. Alice is still a sweet, innocent girl, though her perfectly pressed dress and starched pinafore does take quite a beating and bloodying.

The story starts with Alice and her sister outside
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
"Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!"
I have never read Alice in Wonderland and I am not sure if I should have read that before this book or not. I know the basics of the story, but you put zombies in it and it gets a LOT weirder.

So Alice follows a Black Rat instead of a White Rabbit down a grave and into the world of Zombie land. In Zombieland everything is pretty much dead. Alice starts to get hungry for flesh but she doesn't understand why. It's not till she meets the Cheshire Cat that she lea
Cheryl
Alice was sitting with her sister outside on the bank. Alice wished she was in the graveyard instead. She loved walking through the graveyard. Suddenly, Alice sees a black rat. A black rat is nothing to awe about but a talking black rat is. The rat goes racing by chanting about being late. Alice takes off after the rat and follows him. Alice ends up in a strange and bizarre world…filled with odd creatures. All Alice can think about is the horrific craving she has for eating fresh meat. What is t ...more
Anita
Alice in ZombieLand
AUTHOR: Lewis Carrol/Nickolas Cook
GENRE: Classic/Horror Mash-up
FORM: Book – Advance Review Copy

SYNOPSIS: Alice and her sister go out to the graveyard to do her reading lesson when she gets distracted and sees a black rat checking his watch. Curious, Alice follows the black rat into a hole, and finds herself in a land where the creatures are zombies and ruled by an overbearing Red Queen. Alice finds that she herself is becoming more and more zombie-like and desperately seeks a
Deborah Isner
Although the idea was intriguing, once I began reading the book I quickly became disenchanted. I was looking for a new story, a further adventure where she ends up with zombies. Instead, I got a frankly, very near plagiarized Alice in Wonderland, with the occasional morose or creepy word replacing one in the book. I enjoy NEW stories. I enjoy new twists on old stories. I enjoy originality, however the author seems to sack originality & instead stands on the cusp of plagiarism just to make a ...more
Alexandra Rolo
Depois de ler os clássicos Alice in Wonderland e Through the Looking-glass este ano, não resisti a devorar o Alice in Zombieland assim que o apanhei na kindle store.
Foi uma leitura verdadeiramente deliciosa em que podemos acompanhar a evolução de Alice, de menina que gostava de brincar em cemitérios a zombie, neste estranho e horrível mundo em que se viu depois de cair numa sepultura...
Quando já conhecemos os originais não conseguimos não achar graça a esta versão alterada das aventuras de Alice
Samantha
Interesting book. Borrowed the e-book from the public library. Quick read, not very long. Easy to finish within a day if theres enough time, took me 3 and I read a few chapters a day before bedtime. Not as wonderful as the original, but its fun enough and quick enough to be enjoyable. Would I read it again, pry not, but was it worth the first read through, yes.
Julia
Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories- that being said, I really enjoyed Alice in Zombieland. Wonderland is already an eccentric place, so I felt that turning it into a Zombieland wasn't too far fetched and the new world fit right into the story. This novel was a lot of fun for me, I love the horror twists on old classics.

This book is disturbing and humorous. A really light, quick read. The illustrations are fabulous. It isn't the typical zombie mash-up, either. I have seen some rev
Joseph Barnes
Alice follows a Black Rat instead of a White Rabbit down a grave and into the world of Zombie land. In Zombieland everything is dead. Alice starts to get hungry for flesh but she doesn't understand why. She eventually learns she is a zombie in a world of zombies.

This was a cute take on Alice in Wonderland. I will say however I got the impression the Author had Alice in Wonderland opened on a table and just copied what he saw. He then went back and changed everyone into zombies. Not very orginal
Fanny Towns
As a fan of Alice Alice in Wonderland...and zombies, I saw this book and couldn't wait to start reading. This book started out like many other books do, slow. So I did not think much of it, but before I knew it, I was to the middle of the story, still waiting for it to get interesting. When I eventually finished the book, I was quite disappointed that it was not as great as I thought it would be. Of course that just may be my own opinion, but I would not read this book again nor recommend it to ...more
Geraldine O'Hagan
The original text of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with the words "rabbit", "frog" "fish" and "bread and butter" replaced with "rat" "dead" "dead" and "dismembered hand" respectively, plus a badly-written one-page back-story inserted into the middle of the Mad Hatter's tea party. Also, everyone is zombies. That's it. ...more
Kelley
I actually read this book twice. The first time I read it I gave it the benefit of the doubt because I read it when I was home sick, and I thought that's why it made my stomach turn. However, after reading it while perfectly healthy, I ended up hating it even more. It still turned my stomach because that's what it's meant to do. That's basically the only use that it has: to be disgusting.

A successful mash-up of a literary classic and zombies has to bring something new to the table: something tha
Peyton
How this dreck survived an editor's desk is beyond me. Instead of writing an all-out adaptation, Cook just inserted the words "zombie" and "dead" willy-nilly throughout Carroll's masterwork. The result is a Victorian novel full of Victorian puns and Tarantino-like gore. I can't help but wonder if the "author", "editors", and marketers of this slop were themselves alive, because it's a lot easier to imagine them desperately seeking brains.
Nikki
Brilliant, clever humor! Amazing how few words actually need to be changed to create a different story. I deeply love the original classic, and I had a blast reading this revision! Wonderland was perfectly primed to be turned into Zombieland. From the revamped Tenniel sketches to the details of Alice's peculiar hunger, this book is quite entertaining. I would actually love to see it make it onto the big screen!
deilann
Originally posted on my blog, SpecFic Junkie.

In order for a mashup to work, there needs to be harmony. Harmony can come out of unexpected places. Nickolas Cook misses this mark by quite some distance. He manages not only to fail at matching Lewis Carroll's wit and charm, but goes further, ruining the original cleverness and creating what feels like a desperate, zombie-obsessed madlib.

Derivative fiction is not an issue for me. In fact, I've come across some pretty clever bits of derivative fictio
Judies
Tak jsem to nakonec dočetla...ale vážně to byla přesně takový ztráta času, jak se od začátku zdálo. Jestli někdy budete chtít číst knihu " Alice in Zombieland ", dejte si sakra pozor, co rozečítáte. Knih se stejným názvem je hned několik :)
Eugene Miya
This goes along side better parodies like Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

I resisted the whole Zombie theme starting with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, until I saw a well organized book rack at the Book Passage, and there was this version of Alice in Zombieland. I only found out later that this was one of 3 titles, and the only one with Carroll still an "author." This cross the willing threshold. I didn't have time to read it all in store, and I could afford
Mandy
where were the zombies? she fell, walked around hungry, saw a room of them, woke up. total letdown. no brains. no blood. no gore. no fun.
Michelle
Alice in Zombieland is a novel by Lewis Carroll and Nickolas Cook from Sourcebooks.

Book Blurb:

They were indeed a queer-looking party that assembled on the bank-the birds with draggled feathers, the animals with their fur clinging close to them, and all dripping wet, cross, and uncomfortable. All of them were covered in Alice's now cold and congealed blood, which made them even tastier looking to poor hungry Alice.

Sensitivemuse
The book certainly had its’ fun moments! Zombieland was well written and well thought out. It certainly put a funny twist on Wonderland (even though Wonderland is quirky to begin with anyway). It’s definitely not for the squeamish, as body parts are flying everywhere and Alice gets a craving for a bite of flesh once very so often. The characters are all there, they’re just zombified. The only difference I have seen is instead of a White Rabbit, you have a Black Rat instead. (If I am wrong, forgi ...more
Amy Ramsey
Ever wonder what Alice would be like if she ended up in Zombieland instead of Wonderland?

Title: Alice in Zombieland

Price: $14.99

Pages: 240

Rating: 4 Blood Drops

Blurb:

When little Alice follows the Black Rat down into the gaping darkness of an open grave, she falls and falls. And soon finds herself in an undead nightmare of rotting flesh and insanity. Venturing further into this land
Itsjustme-wendy
Super cute, super fun book to read! This was basically a remake of the original from cover to cover. It followed the story of Alice in wonderland only the author "Zombified" it! If you are a fan of the orig. you will defiantly think this is cute. If you are a fan of zombies, you will love it! It is nothing but zombilicious from beginning to the dreadful end.

All the elements are there - instead of following a white rabbit, Alice follows a black rat.
On top of the mushroom, instead of a caterpil
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • Emma and the Vampires
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Romeo & Juliet & Vampires
  • Henry VIII, Wolfman
  • Boleyn Tudor Vampire
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Wuthering Bites
  • Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist
  • Vampire Darcy's Desire: A Pride and Prejudice Adaptation
Round Midnight and Other Stories of Lost Souls Dead Dog The Black Beast of Algernon Wood Paint it Black Baleful Eye