Start by marking “The Paleo Diet Revised: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  33 reviews

Eat for better health and weight loss the Paleo way with this revised edition of the bestselling guide-over 100,000 copies sold to date!

Healthy, delicious, and simple, the Paleo Diet is the diet we were designed to eat. If you want to lose weight-up to 75 pounds in six months-or if you want to attain optimal health, The Paleo Diet will work wonders. Dr. Loren Cordain demon

Paperback, 1st edition revised, 288 pages
Published November 19th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Paleo Diet Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paleo Diet Revised

Christopher Sears
The Paleo Diet outlines Dr. Loren Cordain's view of an optimal diet. The Paleo Diet is a low carbohydrate diet which focuses on eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables, and some nuts. The foods that are not allowed on the diet are legumes and beans, grains, and dairy. The reasoning behind the diet is that human evolution has not caught up with the agricultural revolution. Thus, people should eat like hunter/gatherers for optimal nutrition.

I tried the diet last summer. I managed to lose 30 pound...more
Jamessteeleii
Cordain's general premise is sound though much of his application falls short of current research. A strange mix of carbophobia and (saturated)lipophobia.
The writing style was on par with other diet/fitness books I have read. It got a little preachy at times, especially in knocking the Atkins diet (which is similar to the Paleo approach in several ways). I liked the idea that the Paleo diet encourages you to eat fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. I know that I am not the type of person who would give up all grains forever, but I could see doing so for a period of time and then adding back in the healthier grains as a "sometimes" food. We are cur...more
Cayla
This book had good information on the paleo lifestyle. I have heard so much about eating paleo lately that I read this book for more information, and I am glad I did. The idea of the paleo diet is that our bodies are designed to eat like hunters and gatherers. This means we should eat lean meats, fruit, and vegetables. The biggest thing I learned from this book is that these foods, (lean meats, fruits, and vegetables) are the main foods people should eat. When I search paleo recipes online, ther...more
Helen
After reading many online sources on Paleo Diet, Stone Age Diet, Primal Diet, and Meat only diet, and only now getting this book, I was sorely disappointed: in comparison this book seems to be obsolete, oversimplified and superficial, for healthy people only. Critical for all others issues were played down quietly, but unnecessary details were provided in full length.

If you like to be told in terms what is good for you and what is not, if you are able to digest mass produced meat, eggs, farmed...more
Corinne
I have a better understanding of the Paleo Diet after reading this book.

In the beginning of the book I was becoming a bit annoyed because it felt like an infomercial. It even included cheesey success stories. I got through a good chunk of the book, slept on it and then went back and reviewed what kept rattling around in my brain. i.e. What was the connection to osteoporosis? What did he say about grain fed livestock? Why can't I have canned olives? etc. At that point I realized I liked the book...more
Amber
it was a good, informative book. I like the premise of going wheat free, which cuts out alot of food for me, however, I am not completely convinced that Paleo is the way to go...Gluten free, yes, Paleo, not so much. The author gave some great information though and I felt it was enough information to draw a plausible conclusion.
Lisaomd
Banal to pedestrian at best. Too self-serving to reach the heights of pedantic. Of no instructional value. Move along. Nothing to see here ...
Devona
Easy breezy diet & way to live!

I love how satiated I am on this diet & how much energy I have. The weight loss is a plus.
Jana
Talks about people hundreds of thousands of years ago not having the same health issues as people today. Maybe so, but I still can't help but think the author doesn't consider the fact that amazing medical research has been developed in that period of time and now we actually look into health problems. No one knows that paleolithic generations all survived after birth through childhood and through adulthood with no health problems. Still a big sceptic on this diet!

On another note, Australians s...more
Lauren Hagan
I've been following this diet for 4 months and have lost 10 pounds :DDDD although I have plateaued now...
Amy
Going to finish the conversion to this in a few days when I've finished the dairy in my fridge.
Arturo
It is the most pure paleo diet. Maybe too strict but I liked it.
Dustin
Dr. Cordain makes a lot of excellent points regarding what humans ought to be eating, and why. His bibliography is so long, it makes for a nearly overwhelming list. My only complaint is that the studies and works he refers to in the book aren't directly footnoted to this list, so its hard to move from the claim that "a recent study showed that ABC happens" to finding the actual study in question. I'm sure its in the list, but there's not a great way to find it. If I have to google it anyways, it...more
Nick Blasier
I was surprisingly unimpressed. It was lacking an explanatory, logical scientific narrative. There were lots of dietary assertions made in sort of the "traditional" way, like "ABC GOOD, XYZ BAD." Many of them seemed a little outdated and debatable. I suppose the most interesting part of the book is that his references are at least extensive, so you can follow all that and make your own judgments. Good if you're looking for a VERY low-level introduction to this stuff... but even then, I'd probabl...more
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read
FALSE
Helena
interesting.
Michael Lipford
A little repetitive but it presents a seemingly logical case for an effective diet that would keep you healthy. It's repetitive in that it constantly restates its case again and again under different rationales as to why it is so good for you. A time or two would have done it, even for a layman's scientific journal. The only other drawback I get from this is that the foods they suggest you sample from are damn expensive. Then again, it's not the author's fault I'm poor haha!
Jeanie Morkel
Covered the basics well and backed up the dietary theories with interesting evidence and statistics. Good to know that a lifestyle I've been mostly leading the past few years doesn't only work for me personally, but is actually good for the majority of people.
Mary
Great way of eating!!!! I have lost 19 lbs in 40 days so far. It takes some planning to have things on hand that are ready to eat but overall very easy. It is the first diet that I have not felt denied and just waiting to go back to my old eating patterns. Dr. Cordain's research makes sense and as for the claims of increased energy and weight loss.....I'm a true believer!!
Rayna Hanschen
The science makes sense. We'll see how the diet goes. He relies a little heavily in the 'well our ancestors did it...' reasoning and it gets comical at times. But he uses 'real' science and studies to back his claims.

We'll see.

Easy read!
B.
Good book; I could not do this diet strictly that is for sure but it has good ideas for how to cut back on wheat and carbs that are not helping us. Some of my friends eat this strictly and for competition preparation.
Sunny
Great information, well researched and a great resource for those of us obsessed with food, or for those who are in the fitness industry.

Can seem a bit clinical at times, but I am a nerd and I love science.
Gloria
While there is nothing technically wrong with this book, the program itself would be very difficult to stick with. Pretty much meat and plain veggies. Great for losing weight but hard to sustain.
i love this eating plan. the science behind it makes total sense. and I have never felt better! a lot a really great information for beginners of the Caveman lifestyle.
Arapahoe Library District
We are excited to have Dr. Cordain coming to the library to speak in September! Find out more about the program at http://bit.ly/1875eMv
Abeer Al-adhami
Good stuff . All about going back to basics. Cutting out salt is the hardest step for me. Otherwise , I'm not too far off already:)
Roxi Zilmer
interesting read but gets a little like an infomercial at times "this is why my diet . . ." Recipes are tasty.
Christopher D
It seems a lot like Atkins to me. Been there, done that and it was great, but my doctor says: Weight Watchers.
Sam
Opened my eyes. Fully on this train now. Cordain presents everything very well. Easy read.
  • The Primal Blueprint Cookbook
  • The Dukan Diet
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Everyday Paleo
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve!
  • The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results
  • Conscious Eating
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic
  • Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment
  • The Game On! Diet: Kick Your Friend's Butt While Shrinking Your Own
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • Doubt Is Their Product: How Industry's Assault on Science Threatens Your Health
Loren Cordain, PhD, is one of the world's leading experts and researchers in the area of evolutionary medicine. He is on the faculty of Colorado State University and the author of The Paleo Diet and The Paleo Diet for Athletes. He has been featured on Dateline NBC, in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and other media."
More about Loren Cordain...
The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eat The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young The Paleo Diet for Athletes: The Ancient Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance (Revised & Updated Edition)

“Many women, worried about breast cancer, have adopted vegetarian diets in an attempt to reduce their risk. Unfortunately, it may be that these grain- and starch-based diets actually increase the risk of breast cancer, because they elevate insulin—which, in turn, increases IGF-1 and lowers IGFBP-3. A large epidemiological study of Italian women, led by Dr. Silvia Franceschi, has shown that eating large amounts of pasta and refined bread raises the risk of developing both breast and colorectal cancer. Most vegetarian diets are based on starchy grains and legumes. Sadly—despite continuing perceptions of these as healthy foods—vegetarian diets don’t reduce the risk of cancer. In the largest-ever study comparing the causes of death in more than 76,000 people, it was decisively shown that there were no differences in death rates from breast, prostate, colorectal, stomach, or lung cancer between vegetarians and meat eaters. Cancer is a complex process involving many genetic and environmental factors. It is almost certain that no single dietary element is responsible for all cancers. However, with the low-glycemic Paleo Diet, which is also high in lean protein and health-promoting fruits and vegetables, your risk of developing many types of cancer may be very much reduced.” 0 likes