The Subway Mouse

The Subway Mouse

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The newest from Barbara Reid: the story of a young mouse living in the subway, who dreams of the magical world called Tunnel's End.

Nib is a subway mouse. As a young mouse, he loved to hear the stories about Tunnel's End: a beautiful yet dangerous, roofless world. One day, Nib decides to set off, away from his dirty, crowded home, to find his dream. Along the way he meets a...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Scholastic Inc. (first published February 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Subway Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subway Mouse

The Hockey Sweater by Roch CarrierThe Subway Mouse by Barbara ReidWhispers of War by Kit PearsonLucy Maud and Me by Mary Frances CoadyGuests of War Trilogy by Kit Pearson
Toronto
2nd out of 37 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
Illustrations here are plasticene with found objects and paint. The pictures are so vivid and attention-getting. The story is about a mouse who lives in the subway who tries to find the legendary outside, where none of the other mice have ever been. We liked it!
David
The Subway Mouse by Barbara Reid is the story of Nib, the subway mouse, and his search for Tunnel's End: a beautiful yet dangerous, roofless world.

Nib grew up at Sweetfall, under a busy platform, hearing bedtime stories of Tunnel's End. When his cousins decide to move into his nest, Nib decides to search for Tunnel's End. At another platform named Sugardrop Nib meets Lola, who joins him on his quest. At another station, they flee a gang of big mice. They pass many stations, and run out of food....more
Linda
Adventures of a mouse who lives with his family in a subway station. He becomes fascinated with stories about the Tunnel's End and embarks on a journey with another mouse, Lola to find it. Don't read this book for the fairly dull story, but for the illustrations--they are incredible! Made from what looks like clay, they give the appearance of being three dimensional and are what kept me turning the pages.

From SLJ:
"Although the story is somewhat flat and predictable, Reid's artwork is outstanding...more
Natalie Schmitt
Nib is a mouse who lives in a subway station. Nib doesn’t really like it because of how noisy it is. At night, Nib hears stories of this great place called Tunnel’s End. Nib sets out on an adventure to find this beautiful place. This book is great for sequencing and re-telling the story. The art work in this book is so unique.
Kayla
A wonderfully written and artistically designed adventure! I was captivated till the last page. The character is a curious mouse that all children can relate to not to mention his sense of dreamy adventure.
Amy
This is a cute story about a mouse named Nib who comes from a large family that lives below the platforms of a busy subway station, a place called Sweetfall. All day the family gathered food when the trains ran and told stories when it was quiet, stories about Tunnel's End, a frightening place. Nib loved stories about Tunnel's End and often dreamed about it. One day he decided to travel to Tunnel's End. Along the way he met Lola and the two of them traveled to Tunnel's End together. When they fi...more
Naturallynurturedchildcare
This book is fabulous, we only have it in french though as the mouse is called "Nico" in the french version. The plasticine illustrations are amazing.
She's Stacked  (Jo-Anne)
I love this book! I have ever since I first read it. It includes the TTC, my city and mice in the most endearing fashion. It is simply magical.
Jodie
A mouse living in a subway hears stories about the end of the tunnel and decides he wants to find it.
Clairissa D
The Subway Mouse is a story about a mouse that lived in center part of the subway station had heard about the wonders of the other end of the train station. One day he developed enough courage to leave his family and travel along the subway to find the place that he had heard about. One his way to this place he ran into a girl mouse who was willing to help him in his journey. Soon after they joined the two mice found the enchanted part of the subway that they were looking for and lived happily e...more
Tnb
i did not like this book. i thought it was very boring and without a message
stephanie
got this for the little boy i babysit's birthday. i have lost count of how many times i have read it outloud, but luckily, i really like the story and the pictures. it reminds me of the stories i used to write in fourth grade, about this family of mice.

this is the story of nib, who decides to leave the safety of the subway tunnels and seek out a better life at "tunnel's end" - which may or may not exist. beautiful story, all around, especially for new yorkers.
Dolly
Dec 03, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is an exciting tale of adventure and a love story, too. The setting of the story begins in a dark and dirty subway where a mouse dreams of a better, brighter life. The illustrations are very creative and feature mixed media scraps that make the images seem very realistic. I enjoyed this story much more than I thought I would.
Tiffany
This book was so cute! It's about a mouse who lives in a subway who decides to make his way to the outside, and follows the tracks, meeting up with other mouse dudes who think he's crazy for trying to find the legendary outside. My kid really enjoyed it, and I especially enjoyed the cute ending.
Rebeccadanielle
Sweet story, lovely pictures.
AEF
i was really drawn to this picturebook!
Awesome!

but wished the ending could be shorter.
(it could be 5 page shorter at least.)

and didn't like that they gave birth so soon.
Guadalupe Ramirez
A cute little story about the adventure of a little mouse named Nib. I think think book is great for making predictions and also to assess student's reading comprehension.
Heather
47 months - Great illustrations all done in plasticine relief... and a really good story too. We all enjoyed this one... oh Canadian author too. :)
Kim
I thought the story was so-so, but the pictures are wonderful! They're done out of clay and look very realistic. Wow.
Glenn Kennedy
This book is good for older students. I read it to younger student and we both lost interest in this story.
Sheri Radford
The art in Barbara Reid's books is simply gorgeous, filled with fascinating little details.
Lesley
The story is pretty cute--adventurous little mouse and nice claymation illustrations.
Lisaleh
Bought this for my nephews - it's a little long, but the art work is amazing!
Mary-Jane
A great Canadian story with beautiful plasticine illustrations.
Alanna Gabin
Another classic William and I read and have from memory. Brilliance.
Tobi
Tobi marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
As a child, Barbara Reid loved reading, drawing, writing and fooling around with plasticine. She kept at it, and has written and illustrated 19 picture books, illustrating more than 25. Her books have been published in over a dozen countries, and her signature plasticine relief illustrations have won many awards including a Governor General’s Award for Illustration and the Ezra Jack Keats Award. H...more
More about Barbara Reid...
Picture a Tree Fox Walked Alone Perfect Snow The Party Two by Two