Bookstore Lore

Bookstore Lore

2.59 of 5 stars 2.59  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The original collection of "Most Stupid Questions Ever" with an introduction by Chris Haight, and collected by generations of bookstore workers from downtown San Francisco, California. Advisory: These are not your friendly neighborhood bookstore clerks!
Published June 22nd 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

Read this while sitting on the couch with my husband. I would chuckle about something and soon I was sharing stories about our customers with my husband. Having actually been asked at least once in my bookstore career "Who wrote Dante's Inferno?" I could groan along with the quotes in this book. Also - we kept a book like this so the format was not off putting to me.

I can see how some people would find this book to be kind of snotty or off-putting because in a lot of ways it seems to be mocking...more
Colleen
There were some really funny lines but then there were also some really condescending lines. For those bookstore owners or employees who treat their customers with such condescension...its time to get another job. If you can't laugh along, do something else.
Jeff
I read this on a recent flight. Being a ten year bookstore veteran I was't surprised at most of these questions (in fact I think either coworkers or I had heard at least half of them). You probably won't find it as entertaining if you have no bookstore, or at least no retail, experience. And, even though this book is basically just a list, it could have used a critical editor's eye since several of the questions were repeated. Not a totally dud, but it will not become an enduring classic.
Gmr
While I can't say it was fabulous to the upteenth degree....I can certainly say that is was a humorous look at the life of the bookstore employee. Certainly a quick read and recommend for anyone that has, is, or is planning on working in a bookstore. You can remember the good old days, relive yesterdays interesting moment, or be prepared for what lies ahead of you....it all boils down to some "really, you asked me what" laugh inducing moments.
Kimberly
Very Funny. I can actually imagine all these idiots in real life...
Sadly, they're real!

This book is basically a book of quotes that the store clerks have put together of all the random and weird people that pop into their store.

Definitely worth reading if you've ever worked in retail.
Tom Lichtenberg
I was but one of the many clerks who gathered these questions back in the mid-1980's in downtown San Francisco. The latest edition has removed some of the repetitions and many of the snarky clerky comments that had offended some people. Hopefully the best parts are still left over.
Jess
While some of the quotes were funny and almost too silly for nonfiction, they started repeating toward the end. Some were also incredibly condescending.

I got it as a free ebook and it was a fair price. I wouldn't spend money on this collection until it was refined
Barbara
This might amuse you slightly if you have ever worked in a retail store, but it was really not very good. It was short, 39 pages, and easy to read, but contained errors and repetitions. I do not really recommend it as worth your time.
Nanadhoi
funny. :D

sometimes the questions really doesn't relate with the book, which I found that, it is a very very stupid question.

I laugh all the way reading this.

there is one question : "do you know where am I?"

lol.
Lindsey
A quick read, it's a total of 39 pages of just questions asked to workers at a bookstore. It's a great funny book to read curled up in a blanket next to the fire with either a cup of coffee or tea. just very funny.
Danica
- Do you have Where's Waldo on audio?
- Do you have any calendars that are alphabetical by month?
- Why don't you put the tax on before?

Pretty funny, quick read. Some repetition. Had a quick laugh.
Celeste
If you've ever worked in a bookstore this is a cute, free read on your NOOK. It's situations faced in a bookstore in San Fransico and it's and enjoyable little read. Try it out. It's not very long.
Michele
This was total crap, and a waste of my money. I thought it would be funny, but it's too short, boring, and for some reason the same anecdotes are repeated throughout the book. Don't bother with this one!
Roblyn
This was a very short collection of quotes and thoughts from staff in a bookstore in San Francisco - mostly crazy questions they get asked. It was ok - a few of the questions made me laugh out loud.
Jen
Might have been more enjoyable if I didn't actually want to be a nice person. I get the frustration when people ask dumb questions, but some of the employees comments were harsh.
Alan Fricker
Disappointing ibooks freebie. Terrible formatting. Some funny questions that will likely be familiar to anyone who deals with the public in a book related environment.
Rebecca Jackson
Hilarious! I work in a bookstore, and these questions and comments are very typical of some of the really outrageous things I hear from our lovely customers!
Andréa
Many of the quotations are funny, but the book itself needs significant editing and formatting.
Amanda
This was a very funny 30 minute (tops) read. I laughed at a lot of the questions in there.
Stacey
Read this on my nook, it was all squished together but I got the gist of it...some funnies....
Ghracena
Quick read, horrible formatting. Some hilarious lines!
Kelly Marie
Not what I had expected.
Kristi Krumnow
Kristi Krumnow marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 12, 2014
Staci
Staci marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013