Start by marking “Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy, #3)

Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword #3)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  3,611 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In a realm where magic is life, Joram was one of the Dead. Born without power, he was denied his royal birthright and sentenced to the Turning - his mind to be imprisoned inside a husk of living stone.
Yet at the last moment, Saryon took his place, suffering the eternal torment for his young master. And Joram and his wife Gwendolyn vanished into the mists that marked the Bo
Published January 21st 2010 by Spectra (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Triumph of the Darksword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triumph of the Darksword

Sara Forsberg
I love the final book! The sudden but hinted-at crossover between fantasy and science fiction was intriguing, and the characters came together in a way that I wasn't at all expecting, which is always nice in fantasy, which can sometimes suffer from being a bit too predictable. I thought the ending was a bit rushed, I wouldn't have minded another book between the start of the conflict and the end scene, but as I knew there was a sequel coming, it didn't bother me as much as it may have had. Great ...more
Angie
Thought this was a great ending to this trilogy! It went from two books of fantasy to a book that was sci fi/fantasy. I was thrilled by the ending. I hear 10 years later a book 4 was written though. Not sure if I want to check it out or just be happy with the original ending. I hate when authors do that!

Callandor
Not too bad, ends the series, but leaves a lot of questions hanging..

which is resolved by the standalone book which I am currently reading.
Doris Pearson
THE 3RD BOOK WAS HARDER TO READ.. DUE TO DEATH AND CHAOS.. NOT SURE i'M HAPPY WITH THE ENDING.. POOR SIMKIN.
David James
I read this trilogy in
High school at a time when I had little interest in fantasy ( read either classic literature or horror)
I found the trilogy absoloutly enrapturing but was sadly forced to give it back to the friend that loaned it to me.
Years later when I started reading heavily again I started searching for this trilogy again but it was sadly out of print and unobtainable. Recently I was able to find a complete set at a used book store along with a sequel book I never knew about. I have n
David Sarkies
I have noticed that for a lot of these older books that I have read (older referring to an earlier time in my life as opposed to the books being writen a long time ago) I seem to open the comment with 'my friend gave it to me and said that it was good.' Okay, we are talking about trilogies with this particular book, but it is sort of him giving me the first in a trilogy or series, and telling me its a good book. What I find annoying though is that when I hand them a copy of the Odyssey and say ...more
Todd
Volume III of the Darksword Trilogy

Joram has come back from the Border and with him he has broken the magical barrier that protected this magical world. And with him has come another outcast with a grudge. Menja is another person outcast to the Border who has been looking for a way to get back to the source of magic, and Joram made this possible.

This is a story of the prodical son coming home to exact his revenge, and in time finds out his has been betrayed on the "other side" as well. And thus
Elar
It started off as best of the books in the series - combining fantasy with sci.fi. Still had same problems as first book in series and somewhat also second: sotryline was very jumpy and author just wants to glide over some issues which should be explained.
LeAlan
I had not been able to find this book anywhere and happened upon it in a used paperback book store. I loved the first two books and was really looking forward to the conclusion of this trilogy. I donno what the authors were thinking but this went from a great fantasy series to a what the heck is going on? Imagine your reading a classic tale about King Arthur and he is at the point where he forms the Knights of the Round table and all of a sudden laser beams from spaceships start raining down on ...more
Rhapsody
This was the volume where the most (maybe only) mingling of sci-fi and fantasy took place. At the time, I felt kind of resentful. Now I guess I'm mature enough to figure, "Heh, if I can suspend my disbelief for the magic, I guess I can do the same for the spaceships." Well, technically, it was the combination of the two that killed me, but I am trying to be an adult about it! The book was really OK, and I liked the tone of the end. There was a nice and rather interesting love story, and the prot ...more
Dana
Truly awful. I'm not a big fan of Weis and Hickman, but I have read many of their books. This trilogy was really, really bad.
David
Shannon
This is a book I read a long time ago. I had read the second first (I hadn't noticed it said it was the second, and on top of that I hadn't hunted down the other two), then the first, and was pleased. I looked forward to seeing how the third would take this world I'd become fond of and make things come to a satisfying conclusion.

Then I read it. The sudden genre-shift felt like it came out of nowhere, making it difficult at best to enjoy the rest of the book with the exception of Simkin's antics.
Rey Mysterioso
Okayyyy, well we have just lost cabin pressure.

I will give the Weislance some credit. She wrote this 20 years before the Village, so its not a derivative work!

Who knew the end of the world would look like this!
Yahanan Xie
I like the ending… but it could have been more overall.
Jim
This was the second complete trilogy we read by this author. It's a downer - almost Thomas Covenant depressing - but I remember liking it quite a bit. Like Tom the Leper, I never wanted to read it again, although I still have it around just in case.

As I recall, this wrapped it up well. I believe they wrote further books in the series, but I never had the urge to read them. This is where to stop, IMO.
Anthony Pacheco
I just could not get into the dramatic plot change. I was looking for a love story focus to go along with a fresh and original world-building and what I got was... spaceships and guys in armor disappearing in fairy-rings, etc.

I was disappointed and was expecting more of what made the fist book so enticing.
Will Oprisko
Just could not finish the series. Lost interest near the end of the first book and forced myself through the second. When I got to the last one in the trilogy, I just couldn't read another page.
Jason
More Margaret Weis that I could not get enough of as a teenager. The Darksword trilogy was great filler in between the many Dragonlance novels. These are the perfect young adult fantasy reads.
Richard
The trilogy that got me into reading as a teenager. My rating probably reflects this. It's a great one for teenagers just getting into fantasy books etc...
Karen
The first 2 were great but this one fails to live up to their potential. Read the first 2 and then imagine your own ending!
George
My favorite trilogy when I was in High School. I've been meaning to re-read it and see if it was as awesome as I remember.
sologdin
industrialist monarch and friend fight aliens from outer space who are--surprise!--earthling assholes.
Ned Johnson
My friend told me to read this specifically for the future vs wizards nonsense.

This book delivers.
Theresa
compelling fantasy, a young man who learns that his heritage costs far more then his world is worth
Marysia
I thought this last book took a horrible plot direction. Disappointing, since I enjoyed the others.
Richard
Easy and enjoyable. You begin, you finish, then you're like, where did the time go?
Kira
Disapointed with the ending of this one, but it was a wonderful trilogy.
Heidi
I really liked this one, only problem is who is Simkin?
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • Darkness and Light (Dragonlance: Preludes, #1)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Darkwalker on Moonshae (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #1)
  • Waterdeep (Avatar #3)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • The Dragon King (Crimson Shadow, #3)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
  • Tantras (Avatar #2)
  • The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4)
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)