Start by marking “The Money Tree” as Want to Read:
The Money Tree

The Money Tree

Miss McGillicuddy's simple country routine continues through-out the year in spite of a very unusual tree growing in her yard.
Published April 1st 1994 by Square Fish (first published September 6th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Money Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Money Tree

Lisa Vegan
It’s official: I am in love with this wife-husband author-illustrator team. This is the fifth book by them that I’ve read. I particularly adore Small’s illustrations.

I wasn’t sure I’d like this one; the premise seemed weird and the story a tad too message heavy, but I really enjoyed it.

I was enchanted by all the pictures, in particular those of the dogs, cats, and birds, but all of them really. The autumn leaves on the inside cover pages are gorgeous.

The story goes from January to December, one
Oct 02, 2016 Dolly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I really enjoyed this book! It depicts a woman who lives in the country and quietly goes about her chores: planting a garden, caring for her pets, making a quilt, reading a book, etc. All the while, a money tree sprouts up in her yard and people go nuts trying to harvest the leaves.

It is a simple story and tells about a woman unimpressed with material wealth, but comforted by a warm fire on a winter's night. It speaks of a simpler life, one that is not defined by dollars, but by the quality and
Nov 13, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you, and you, and you, and.....
Recommended to Jen by: Montambo
Greed. It gets all of us, sometime.

My favorite picture in this book is when autumn comes and finds Miss M carving a pumpkin. She stands and watches people at the foot of the money tree, knife clasped behind her back. Perfection.

Apr 05, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I used this as the first book in the Sarah Stewart author study with 2nd grade. I used the kit with the CD, which was nice because it has the background noises and everything. One of the kids said it was kind of like watching a movie. The idea of a "money tree" was fascinating to the kids, as well. I took the activity idea from Patte---I had the kids draw what they think a money tree would look like and then on the back write what they would do if a money tree grew in their yard.
Nov 30, 2007 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody with a soul
This book encapsulates my ideal reclusive, rural, self-sufficient life, complete with three dogs and a working fireplace. A cozy book, but with a faintly distressing central theme come at from the side. What you get is not a lesson in morality but an open-ended question. I like a writer who trusts a reader that way. And, as always, David Small's artwork has a way of somehow capturing essence in posture and look. Simple, wonderful.
Nov 25, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
29 months - not our most favorite story by this author/illustrator duo. The illustrations were as always beautiful and the dogs and cats reminded us of our past and present friends. O is a bit young to understand the story she asked me what money was, oh to be two again. So more than likely this story will spark some interesting discussions as she gets older.
I must be missing something. I mean, ok, yes, greed is not only bad but embarrassing, and self-sufficiency and hard work are good. But the mc looks so very sad in all the pictures. Her animal companions are adorable, though!
Jan 14, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun idea for a book. I thought it was a tad preachy, but still fascinating.

The kids were listening to this on-tape in the next room, and Matt and I were drawn several times over to them to check out the illustrations that could accompany such mind-sparking text.
At the end my children were both "Is she crazy?" The events of this book lead to a very interesting discussion about just why Miss McGillicuddy may have taken the actions she did.

The book also has lovely illustrations.
Hailey White
While the ending surprised me....and I'm not certain still if I liked it or not, the illustrations captivated my children and myself.
Jul 27, 2016 Danette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoyed the illustrations and watching the passing of the seasons in Miss McGillicuddy's garden. I didn't really understand the ending.
Read with Naomi & Arielle.
Miss McGillicuddy notices a strange tree growing in her yard...a tree growing money. She shares the money with others and some people go crazy trying to collect as much money as they can from the tree. Meanwhile, each month, Miss McGillicuddy goes on tending her garden, caring for her animals and reading by the fire.

I like the illustrations a lot, although while Miss McGillicuddy seems puzzled by the greed of others, she also looks sad in nearly every illustration. I wonder what message/lesson
Book Title: The Money Tree by Sarah Stewart

Short Description: In this story, Miss McGillicuddy watches, throughout the year, a strange plant that is growing in her garden.

Narrative Features I would use in a mini-lesson:

1. Conflict and resolution: Sarah Stewart uses this story to show the conflict of man vs society. She describes the greediness of people in a powerful way. (In July, the town officials came by to borrow some of the greenery for some special projects. In August, she noticed th
Aug 03, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you think money grows on trees? I've heard that one so many times before. Well, in this book it does, and rather than that being the dream come true for the owner that you might expect it to be, the tree is more of a curiosity that gradually transforms into a burden for her over the course of the year, as it attracts the interest of townsfolk far and wide. This is a rather fast read. Each month of the year gets one stanza, but it is an interesting book all the same. It certainly is the sort o ...more
Aug 24, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I adore every book that Sarah Stewart has written and her husband has illustrated. BUT will someone please explain the ending of this story to me. Why did the tree get cut down in December by her and the neighbor boys and the last page read

"Miss McGillicuddy gave each boy a loaf of homemade bread, a jar of strawberry jam, and a bouquet of dried flowers. Then she said goodbye, walked toward the warmth of the fire, and smiled to herself."

I need things in black and white I guess. And I sure once I
Feb 23, 2014 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lisa Speers, Rosie Taylor, Janet Smart, Quinn Cole,
Recommended to Sheri by: goodreads suggested
I checked this book out in a new release of a 1991 book. It was illustrated by David Small. I did not like the sad way the main character was drawn. The cummulative monthly story about a tree growing in her yard that she didn't plant but all the neighbors and others come to harvest the money. She doesn't seem bothered by the people who come to see and take from her. I think I would read it aloud and then ask
older 3rd -5th grade students about their feelings and thoughts about a money tree and wh
Jan 15, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Money Tree tells its story through deceptively simple, almost circumspect text and rich, endlessly evocative illustrations. It movingly captures the enduring beauty and reassurances of and in the changes of the seasons. The book simultaneously pays tribute to personal resilience and communal generosity.

Read my full review here:
Mar 09, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Sarah Stewart/David Small picture book. More of a serious theme this time, about a woman who has a money tree start growing in her yard. While she goes about doing her normal day-to-day activities, everyone around her assails upon her money tree to get a piece of it. Great conversational material about how some people let money take over their lives and how those who don't are more content.

Kristina Moss
The Money Tree by Sarah Stewart is about a woman who lives in a country town. After tending to her daily garden needs, the women soon learns that a unexpected tree blossoming from her yard. While others go crazy about the unique tree she seems disinterested. This story was so great and heartfelt because it display how material things or wealth aren't important. I would use this book in my classroom to teach my students that material things around you aren't always important.
Sep 03, 2014 Rodolfo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sense there's something profound going on here, but I'm not sure I can discern what it is. That money will soon pass away? That the rhythms of life matter more than a tree that is here today and gone tomorrow? The serenity of the protagonist amid the frenzy of her neighbors appeals to me. Haunting.
J. Torres
While the illustrations by David Small are quite lovely, the text by Sarah Stewart lacks a little something to make this familiar story more memorable. It does have a subtle charm, however, and an interesting structure but I was waiting for a clever twist or... simply something more to happen in the story. Not a bad read.
Nov 20, 2013 Mckinley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure the point that's being made. Not to be greedy? Share? Be generous but if you don't want to or get tired of it then destroy the source for others? Anyway, too subtle or something. The pictures are fine.
May 23, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4th-5th, 3rd
A strange little fantasy book about a money tree that appears in a field near a woman's house. I could see this being used as a discussion starter when kids are studying money/finances etc. As always, Small's art is gorgeous.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Oct 12, 2009 Rebecca Waring-Crane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Technically this title belongs on the Children's shelf. But I think it's a bona fide crossover tale that, while masquerading as another picture book, holds wisdom for all ages. What would happen if money grew on trees?
Oct 16, 2014 Deatrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I believe is open to interpretation. There were 3 of us who read it and we all had different ideas as to why it ended the way it did. The illustrations mix fantasy with the classical paintings you might find in an art gallery. This book was very well done.
Lolita Mazon
Nov 13, 2015 Lolita Mazon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vaikiškos
Absolutely adorable pictures, but opposite story - not interesting, artificial. There is kind of the moral, but improbable.
Jul 26, 2011 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic
The concept of going through each month from January to December was ok, but storyline about the mysterious tree was lacking.
Jun 12, 2012 Shashi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I've read this book dozens of times and it always provokes thought for me. It's the right mix of openness and message for me.
Dec 26, 2014 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Didn't connect as much as we do to the other Stewart/Small books. Still has a great moral and illustrations, but lacked that je ne sais quoi that's so magical about their other work.
Sep 20, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of the Stewart/Small duo. The heroine of The Money Tree, like the rest of theirs, is quiet, contemplative, and a lover of beauty--NOT a lover of money. (which is key in this story)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Dumb Bunnies Go To The Zoo (The Dumb Bunnies, #4)
  • Garmann's Summer
  • The Conversion of the Jews
  • The Birthmark and Other Stories
  • CDC?
  • I Will Be Especially Very Careful
  • Cecil the Pet Glacier
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • How to Clean a Hippopotamus: A Look at Unusual Animal Partnerships
  • Rose's Garden
  • Tempting Faith DiNapoli
  • From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World
  • Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush
Wife of famed illustrator, David Small, Sarah Stewart has written a number of children's books. She grew up in Texas, and lives in Michigan with her husband.
More about Sarah Stewart...