Tyrannicide Brief

Tyrannicide Brief

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Charles I waged civil wars that cost one in ten Englishmen their lives. But in 1649 Parliament was hard put to find a lawyer with the skill and daring to prosecute a king who claimed to be above the law. In the end, they chose the radical lawyer John Cooke, whose Puritan conscience, political vision, and love of civil liberties gave him the courage to bring the king to tri...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group (first published 2005)

Charles
"The Tyrannicide Brief" is a powerful account of the climax of the English Civil War, the trial and execution of Charles I, and its reversal in the Restoration by the trial and execution of Charles' prosecutors and judges. It has extreme relevance today, with its lesson that a head of state must not be above the law and must answer for his or her crimes. The abrogation of Charles' trial by the Restoration obscured this lesson; the story points up the fact that the English Civil War is at least a...more
Shelley
John Cooke was the most brilliant lawyer you've never heard of.

He was centuries ahead of his time in the legal reforms he advocated. He pioneered a prisoner's right not to incriminate himself, urged attorneys to not take excessive fees, petitioned for statutes and law reports be written in English instead of Norman French (!), and most critically, he undertook unpopular causes.

Very unpopular causes.

When other barristers fled London, rather than be saddled with the task of prosecuting King Char...more
Nate Cooley
If you like history, this is a great book.

"The Tyrannicide Brief" is the story of John Cooke, the English Solicitor General who was assigned the brief to prosecute King Richard I at the height of the English Civil War in 1648.

Cooke and parlimentarians convicted the king and he was beheaded. Years later, the monarchy returned to power with Richard II as king and the regicides, including Cooke, were arrested, tried, and drawed-and-quartered.

Cooke's ideas about Republicanism and law reform did no...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
This is a book about the execution of Charles I from a legal perspective. If you can suspend whatever bias you may have about the execution itself, this is a good analysis of the legal issues involved.

I don't always agree with Geoffrey Robertson, I like the way he writes and found this book a great addition to my Stuart history shelf.

I'm on a Stuart history jag at the moment: revisiting some old books, reading some new.
Guy Cranswick
Brilliantly researched and written this covers a period that is uncomfortable for monarchists but reveals how ideas lead to big changes.
David
Sep 29, 2011 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: history
This is an important book that covers the events surrounding the trial and execution of King Charles 1st of England.
The man who lead the prosecution has been air brushed out of English history. John Cooke was a dedicated hard working and honest man in an age of corruption, lies, religious zealotry, and despotism.He formed a concept of law that was years ahead of his time.He was the instigator of reforms that took many years to be implemented. Some have only taken place in the last twenty years....more
Ernest
Were John Cooke given his proper place in history, he would be venerated as one of the most important legal figures. Rather, it is the world’s privilege to have Geoffrey Robertson bring his life to modern audiences. Cooke’s life and legacy is more than his important place in the English Civil War, the trial and execution Charles I and the repercussions of those involved. It is of the legal principles exposed and practiced that at worst now remain a worthy aspirational aim (e.g. making each lawye...more
Edmond Barrett
This book came to me a Christmas present and would be a period and topic I would have only a fairly passing knowledge of. With the main focus of the book on the man who prosecuted Charles the First of England, the English Civil war(s) get only really a fairly passing acknowledgement, which is fair enough. It covers the run up to, trial of Charles and ten years later that of John Cooke and his terrible death. It is all written in a language that is very accessible. Which is all well done.

My prob...more
Maggie
Jan 05, 2013 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Law, politics and social history
Shelves: historical-fact
I have read this book again so I can do a review and also refresh my memory on the events of this incredibly chaotic time in English history. There is no doubt that Robertson has a powerful intellect and this is displayed by the forensic detail of his writing, through which he pulls together all the relevant people, events and circumstances that make up the total picture leading up to the execution of Charles I, the subsequent struggle to find a workable government within a Republic and then the...more
FiveBooks
Criminal barrister Alex McBride has chosen to discuss The Tyrannicide Brief by Geoffrey Robertson on FiveBooks as one of the top five on his subject - Trial By Jury, saying that:

“…This is about a radical lawyer who took a case nobody wanted. John Cook prosecuted King Charles I on the basis that a ruler cannot kill his own people and then claim executive privilege. He won and in 1649 the death warrant was signed and the King was beheaded outside St James’s Palace. The room where the King spent...more
Bea
A very rewarding and interesting read. As expected.

well written, well researched and with some very interesting ideas about legal matters.

The first idea, that this time is when the notion of the duty to provide legal representation was taken seriously, is interesting and compelling given the results for this man.

Even more interesting was the idea developed by Robertson, from the records of this case, is the idea that a ruler loses the right to govern, if they do so to the detriment of those they...more
Frank
Aug 15, 2007 Frank rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British foggies and wannabe monarchists.
The first third of this book is excellent. The story of John Cooke who took the 'tyrannicide brief' and prosecuted King Charles is dramatic and inspiring to those, like me, who hate kings of all stripes. The author also does a nice job of illustrating this trial as precursor to the modern theory of "command responsibility" that has penetrated the sovereign immunity claimed by all the tyrants and mass-murderers brought to trial. The problem is that the book loses its narrative focus. Part of this...more
Hamish
Alarming and concerning and expertly researched. Incredible how similar yet different society is today and much of this seems like it could be transplanted to a modern day court room (or are modern day court rooms that outdated?); a case for apostasy far more effective than any Dawkins or Hitchens book. Inspiring to see the first rays of light -- just and proper jurisprudence -- taking over from religious extremism. Good lord, how idiotic the monarchy is. Gah.
Peter
I thoroughly enjoyed Geoffrey Robertson's account of John Cooke. John Cooke would I hope be happy to see the efforts that have been taken to try and restore his name after being executed as a regicide almost 400 years ago.

Recommended highly for those with an interest in the English Civil War/Revolution and for those interested in reading the account of a principled lawyer trying to reform a corrupt legal system. It goes into much more detail than simply the trial of Charles I and conveys the cha...more
Old-Barbarossa
An overview of the civil war but mainly focused on the trials of Charles Stuart and then, 10 years later, the regicides.
This book is all centred on John Cooke, a lawyer, who took the brief of the Rump Parliament against Charles and ended up tried for treason himself when Charles 2nd came to power.
I think this is one of the most balanced Hx of the period I've read.
But the civil war is only the backdrop of the more intricate story of the way law was changed by the trial of the king, the way the re...more
Gaby Chapman
An amazing moment in history, where centuries in the future peeked through for a brief interlude. A great addition to the trove of great books about
English history.
Heather
A fascinating account of the English legal system, the birth of the English constitutional monarchy, and an intriguing analysis of precedents that have paved the way for world leaders to be tried for their crimes against their own people (Slobodan Milosevic and Pinochet in particular are highlighted).

This is an excellent book for law students, history buffs, and law history buffs.
Ian
Excellent review of the life of a great man, and a well written account of a time when England struggled, however, feebly towards a just society. Robertson skilfully and engagingly writes a biography of John Cooke, the lawyer who successfully prosecuted Charles 1st for tyranny and war crimes. Long live the Republic!
Peter
This is a wonderfully told story about one of the most significant trails in western history. The idea of putting a King on Trial was so radical for its time. from this court case a whol line of legal reasoning flows, which is very important today. Robertson, a lawyer, weaves a magical story.
Adrian
Lawyer John Cooke is the hero of this book. Finally given his proper due as a man and barrister well ahead of his time. Robertson also wins his point about the brutality of the Reformation of 1660. Excellent, opinionated thoroughly researched history.
Alex
A well researched well written book. John Cooke is a man that has barely rated a mention in any history book I have read, this book fixes that oversight. Highly recommended to any one with an interest in republican England.
Elizabeth
Apr 07, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nytimes, politics
As seen in the New York Times .

Thanks to Stan Lemberg for calling this article to my attention.
Simon
Very good. Even better than I suspected. Robertson does a wonderful job with the subject and the historical period, although his understand of Calvinism and Puritan theology is unfortunate.
Leslie
Aug 30, 2007 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
great history book, great case. for jurisprudes interested in legal history, english legal history, and the origins of many familiar concepts that are the backbone of american law.
Brent
fairly absorbing reading; made me think & kept me interested (& made me want to read more about the English Civil War); author's biases detract, especially in the last chapter
Wes
The history of the lawyer who argued the brief leading to King Charles I's execution as a tyrant. A fascinating moment in time that deserves a book to be written and read.
Liverpooljack
I hear the author, Geoffrey Robertson, is a British human rights attorney who is defending Julian Assange - I'm already intrigued...
Julie
every page was gripping in fine research and Robertson's telling with wit and insight into how the past is present.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cromwell
  • Unnatural Murder: Poison in the Court of James I
  • Tudors (The History of England, #2)
  • A Gambling Man: Charles II and the Restoration
  • The Verneys: A True Story of Love, War, and Madness in Seventeenth-Century England
  • Queen Emma: A History of Power, Love, and Greed in 11th-Century England
  • Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King
  • This Thing of Darkness
  • The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, Ruler of England 1327-1330
  • A Royal Passion: The Turbulent Marriage of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France
  • Queen of the Conqueror: The Life of Matilda, Wife of William I
  • America's Constitution: A Biography
  • 1788: The Brutal Truth of the First Fleet
  • Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown
  • Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • Cavalier: A Tale of Chivalry, Passion, and Great Houses
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
Geoffrey Ronald Robertson QC (born 30 September 1946) is a human rights barrister, academic, author and broadcaster. He holds dual Australian and British citizenship.

Robertson is a founder and joint head of Doughty Street Chambers. He serves as a Master of the Bench at the Middle Temple, a recorder, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London.
More about Geoffrey Robertson...
The Case of the Pope The Justice Game Crimes Against Humanity: The Struggle For Global Justice The Statute of Liberty: How Australians Can Take Back Their Rights The Trial of Lady Chatterley: Regina V. Penguin Books Limited: The Transcript of the Trial