Start by marking “Playing with Fire” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire

Playing with Fire (Texas Firefighters #1)

Macey Locke is not backing down. That means Derek Severson--the man she's been attracted to for years--is just going to have to deal. She hasn't come all the way to this South Texas beach bar for a tan. She's here to help her best friend get back to being what he loves--a firefighter.
But Derek is more stubborn than she thought. He won't tolerate her cajoling and he's defi
Published July 1st 2010 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing with Fire

Susan Chesnoff
Jan 09, 2014 Susan Chesnoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Playing with Fire:Amy Knupp:Series The Texas Firefighters Book 1. I won this book and it's a signed copy by Amy Knupp!(not kindle fire) been reading off of kindle and decided to spend my dreary afternoon reading a real book! This was about two long time friends Derek and Amy that grew up together and of course went their separate ways you thought. Derek was a firefighter and Amy joined the Peace Corp. Amy as a child and was still in love with Derek and he really never had a clue. Derek went thro ...more
MBR
4 Star Harlequin Super Romance

28 year old Derek Severson is grieving the death of his girl friend Julie who died in a fire that Derek was working on. Giving up fire fighting, the profession that he loves, Derek moves to San Amaro Island where his uncle Gus has grown too old to manage his bar The Shell Shack. Pouring drinks day in and day out from mid day till the wee hours of morning is how Derek manages to keep the mind numbing grief at bay and 5 months on Derek still isn’t ready to let go, m
Judi
Derek Severson is a firefighter to his core even though he's forsaken the job he loved after a deeply personal and tragic accident thoroughly rocked his world so he escaped to San Amaro Island were he's putting in time running a beach bar called the Shell Shack. Derek's a tortured soul, so torn up by his grief and loss that he's basically been existing, but certainly not living.

Macey Locke's fresh off a tour in the Peace Corp. and she's got a plan to help her BFF Derek return to the land of the
Valerie ~Varuca~
This the first book I have read by this author, but it won't be the last. I have already picked up the rest of the books in the Texas Firefighters series.

Derek Sorenson was a firefighter until tragedy cost him the woman he loved. Unable to continue with the job he loved, he quit and moved to San Amaro Island to run his uncle’s beach bar. Derek is so torn up by his grief and guilt that he’s working himself to death to forget it all.

Macey Locke, Derek’s friend from childhood, heads to the island t
Sally
Feb 07, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-2012
Playing with Fire has all the elements that you would expect to read from a Harlequin Super Romance. A male who is a tortured soul and wallowing in so much grief and guilt that there is only one way to get out of it and that is to be shown that life does go on. Who better that to show him that than a best friend who has been in love with him for years, but who he only ever saw a quiet self conscious friend and sister.

This is a great start to the Texas Firefighter series. As soon as I started rea
Ana
Oct 22, 2010 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I enjoyed about Playing With Fire is the hero isn’t all gung-ho to get the heroine into bed as fast as possible. He’s still in love with his dead fiancee and his grief is deep and hard to the point he’s really rude to the heroine. Macey must be a sucker for punishment because he basically kicks her out of his apartment and she sleeps in her car.

I mean, really? If he was so intent upon having some quiet that night he could asked her to make herself scarce or, better yet, he could have
TheAgileReader
Good story. The author does a good job of bringing out the emotions. The one pet peeve I had was at the ending. And it's something that irks me in a lot of romances.(view spoiler) ...more
elstaffe
Was three stars, then the hero staying emobangst too long brought it down to two, only to be saved by my remembering that the heroine went after what she wanted in the end and at the beginning and most times. So 2.5 rounds up to 3. But I probably won't be keeping this because of how weak the resolution felt to me, which is a shame.
Maria
Jul 05, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I enjoyed it.
I have ordered the second book in the series which will come out in August of 2010, which features one of the characters introduced in this book.
Melinda Dozier
Jul 16, 2012 Melinda Dozier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love Amy Knupp's tales, and this one didn't disappoint. I gave this 5 stars because I couldn't put the book down! I am a sucker for best friends to lovers stories.
Sharon
For me, this is the perfect category romance and it's the best one I've read. It's a wonderful contemporary. I didn't get annoyed by anybody's actions and enjoyed the entire book.
CL
3.5*

A very cute friends-to-lovers story. There wasn't a real red hot passion between the characters - it was more of a slowburn passion but it really worked.
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Rosamaria
Rosamaria rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Rae Galloway
Rae Galloway rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Kiki
Kiki rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Ngaio
Ngaio rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2012
Connor
Connor rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
L.K.
L.K. rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Michele Lacroix
Michele Lacroix rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Jael
Jael rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Amanda Petersen
Amanda Petersen rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Mindin
Mindin rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Sahara
Sahara rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Chandramas (Chiara)
Chandramas (Chiara) rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Where There's Smoke
  • The Sheriff's Daughter
  • The Firefighter's Secret Baby
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • A Man for All Seasons
  • My Fake Fiancee
  • The Firefighter
  • The Family Plan
  • Pure Temptation (Harlequin Temptation #744)
  • Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • The Hot Line
  • House of Glass
  • His Wife for One Night
  • A Kiss for Luck
  • Flash Point  (Holding Out For a Hero, #3)
  • Welcome Home, Cowboy (Wed In The West, #4)
Amy Knupp lives in Wisconsin with her husband, two sons and five cats. She graduated from the University of Kansas with degrees in French and journalism and feels lucky to use very little of either one in her writing career. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, buying books in excess, traveling, breaking up cat fights, watching college basketball and playing addictive computer games. She's a mem ...more
More about Amy Knupp...

Texas Firefighters (6 books)
  • A Little Consequence (Texas Firefighters, #2)
  • Fully Involved
  • Burning Ambition
  • Island Haven
  • After the Storm (The Texas Firefighters #6)