Start by marking “The Summer of Permanent Wants” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Permanent Wants

The Summer of Permanent Wants

A literary adventure story with a classic feel, The Summer of Permanent Wants will delight and engage middle-grade readers.

Emmeline is an 11-year-old who contends with a special problem: after a long sickness she can no longer speak. Her illness left her unable to give words to her thoughts, and she can only use the occasional snatches of sign language. Closed off from her
Published September 20th 2011 by Doubleday Canada (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Permanent Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Permanent Wants

Andree
Sep 25, 2012 Andree rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is quietly delightful.

It's not a can't-put-downable book. It's not thilling and intense or I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

But it's a quiet, enjoyable, readable book. In spite of some of the many slightly fantastical elements, it's a very real book, a very genuine book. Much like the cruise down the Rideau that the characters take, you just want it to keep going. I started it today and I didn't really stop. I didn't rush through. I didn't skim anything. I just read it.

Ostensibly, this is a book
Heather Pearson
Sep 01, 2011 Heather Pearson rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, canadian
Every person needs a voice to tell his or her story, but first they have to find that story and understand it themselves. Eleven year old Emmeline has lost her ability to speak due to a severe illness she contracted while travelling in Africa. Her grandmother, Teolani McHovec, has invited her to accompany her on her boat, Permanent Wants, this summer. Gran is in the process of renovating the boat into a floating book store and plans to travel along the shores of the Rideau Canal Waterway stoppin ...more
Jody
Sep 20, 2011 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: review
It’s hard to be different, especially for a child. 11-year-old Emmaline has suffered an illness that’s left her unable to speak, and as a result she doesn’t get to spend much time with children her own age. So when her Gran invites her to spend the summer sailing the Rideau Canal on a floating makeshift bookstore, Emmaline is thrilled. This could be her chance to have an adventure and be a part of something bigger than the isolated world in which she spends her days. While her parents are reluct ...more
Margaryta
**This review first appeared in The Spectatorial ***

There is a certain pride an author feels in their ability to take a reader to another place, whether real or imaginary. Other authors do not have this as their main goal, instead aiming to bring that far-flung fantasy into our immediate surroundings, or in this case, pretty close to that.

The Summer of Permanent Wants by Jamieson Findlay tells the story of eleven year-old Emmeline and her grandmother. They decide to spend their summer aboard a b
Jennifer Rayment
Oct 15, 2011 Jennifer Rayment rated it really liked it
The Good Stuff

Canadian setting
Stories are filled with wonderful quirky interesting characters
Sort of an old fashioned simple tale with a modern spin, absolutely beautifully written
Imaginative, whimsical and unusual
Honest and heartbreaking at times, you can understand how frustrating things must be for Emmeline
Story is filled with hope, compassion and acceptance of all sorts of people - nicely done and not done in a goody two shoes sort of way
A perfect book for taking camping or to the cot
Falina
Jun 22, 2013 Falina rated it liked it
Virginia
Sep 04, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it
I was a little nervous about starting this, because i had quite high expectations; when i read the back to my mom, she said "so, they wrote this book jsut for you eh?":P It wasn't quite what i expected but i still really really liked it:D I thought it would be more introspective, and about relationships and the "bookship", and it was a bit, but it's more an adventurous fantasy. It's a series of connected shorts, which made it feel a little episodic and glossed over. But it has great writing thr ...more
Amy Brown
Jun 02, 2015 Amy Brown rated it it was ok
(I hate to give this such a low rating, but I'm trying to rate stuff lower so I don't end up with so many books getting four stars.)

This book was fine; I didn't hate it. For some reason it didn't engage me; something about the prose, maybe?

This is an old-fashioned book; it reminded me of the Arthur Ransom and Lucy Boston books. This is generally a good thing, although the use of other cultures as plot devices and metaphors was old-fashioned in a bad way.

I liked that the author didn't serve up t
Emilee
Sep 28, 2011 Emilee rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This was a wonderful read on a series of cold rainy days. Each chapter is a lovely little summertime gem, and together they make a book that is warm and delightful. There was a certain similarity to Horvath's "My One Hundred Adventures", but this book does have its own personality and charm, and manages to not be oversweet or saccharine about the characters' situations.
Meagan
Jul 08, 2012 Meagan rated it liked it
This book was cute, it was recommended by my cousin and I was intrigued because the story takes place on a 2nd hand bookstore that is also a boat that travels down the Rideau Canal. It is very whimsical and sweet and I found myself caught up in the crazy stories and wondering what would happen with Gran and Em next.
Munro's Kids
Jan 05, 2017 Munro's Kids rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful read. Each chapter is a lovely little summertime gem of magic realism, and together they make a book that is warm and delightful. This book has personality and charm, and manages to never be bitter or saccharine about the characters' situations. Emmeline is a fascinating main character, and her Gran is fantastic.

Marie
Jun 20, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Summer of Permanent Wants piqued my curiousity so I entered the first-reads giveaway and was happy to discovery I was a winner! This is a story about the travels of a grandmother and granddaughter during the summer, proving that even though you are "different" you can still contribute to society. :)
Julia
Sep 13, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
Great summer read. A funny and creative collection of small stories connected by adventure and intrigue. I really enjoyed the travels and discovery of the small treasures and nooks and cranies of Canada. A collection of interesting and quirky characters to lighten up the novel
Judi Phillips
Jul 09, 2011 Judi Phillips rated it really liked it
Currently reading
Christine Bélanger
Jun 24, 2011 Christine Bélanger rated it it was ok
Very interesting small stories. Together, they make a book that can be read cover to cover, but every chapter makes sense by itself. It's the perfect summer book that allows to relax.
Emilie
Oct 08, 2011 Emilie rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, young-adult
Very whimsical book set along the Rideau River. I enjoyed it, but I wish the stories within the story had more continuity.
Annie Kate
Feb 08, 2014 Annie Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-lit, teen, fiction
Interesting but strange. Not bad, but with so many other books out there, there is no need to choose this one unless you live close to the Rideau Canal. In that case, it's fun, but still strange.
Katie
This was really enjoyable! It's basically a collection of magical realism short stories.

And I want a summer like this! Maybe without some of the scarier bits.
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Littlepottermonster
Littlepottermonster rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2017
Gabby
Gabby rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Rspeller
Rspeller rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Anosha
Anosha rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
Izzy
Izzy rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Kalli
Kalli rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Tyese
Tyese rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016