Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Aspiring Artist” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Aspiring Artist

Fancy Nancy: Aspiring Artist (Fancy Nancy)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Portraits: Fancy.
Collages: Très fancy.
Splatter paintings: Très, très fancy!

It's spring vacation, and Nancy is feeling glum because her best friend, Bree, is out of town. Luckily, it's Nancy's mom to the rescue! When she brings home a brand-new set of glitter markers, Nancy puts her trademark flair to très creative use and devotes herself to becoming a serious artist (or ar
Published March 1st 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Sarah W
This the first Fancy Nancy book I've read though I certainly helped a lot of summer reading kids find them last year. The vocabulary in this book would be great in a writing lesson on stretching student word use.

I would like to argue with Nancy that doodles do count as art. Fancy Nancy mentions different artists and some of their pictures and styles are reflected in the book.

My favorite quote in this book is "Artists are allowed to break rules!" I appreciated that Nancy also has bad art days. Cr
Amber M
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Awards: None
Grade Level: 3-4

I could use Fancy Nancy Aspiring Artist in my classroom to help build the students vocabulary and introduce them to some famous painters. Fancy Nancy uses different words in the book that you normally do not hear on a day-to-day bases. For a follow up activity I will have a list of some of the words that were used in the book and there synonyms. I will have the students complete a synonym booklet. The students will fold a piece of construction
Dolly
May 05, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, art, childrens, pets, dance
We really enjoy the Fancy Nancy series of books. The humorous and vocabulary-building narrative and classic Robin Preiss Glasser illustrations are just as entertaining as ever and we liked the art theme. Our youngest really liked the ballet scene, too. Our girls were inspired to create their own art exhibit - they certainly have enough artwork to show off! I like that it's a gentle introduction to some classic artwork.
Nancy
I have noticed these books at the library, and I just finished reading two Nancy Clancy books, for a little older reader. I loved the funny illustrations in this book. Nancy is feeling glum, with her friend, Bree, on vacation in New York City. Nancy's mom brings her some markers, and Nancy gets the idea of making the club house into an artists studio. Each day she does work like a famous artist. She has a visit to an art museum, and the book shows her dad and friend Lionel looking at different a ...more
Pearl
I've read most of the Fancy Nancy books, and I just adore them (adore is fancy for love love love!) (Ok if you read the books, the author defines all the big, fancy words for the reader like I just did.) Really cute and well crafted stories, I can really relate to Nancy sometimes (but don't tell anyone bc I'm a self-pronounced tomboy!)
Shelli
Fancy Nancy maybe a touch envious of her friend Bree’s family trip to the glam capital of the world, New York City, but she is determined to make her spring vacation an adventurous one none-the-less. Dawning her smock and beret Nancy transforms her clubhouse into an art studio and tries her hand at numerous styles of art inspired by famous artists such as Edgar Degas, Monet, Matisse, and Jackson Pollock. Her fruitful efforts add up to one dramatic art show that the entire neighborhood will love. ...more
Bambini Travel
Fancy Nancy is heartbroken that her best friend is going away for Spring Break until her mom offers her some new art supplies. Suddenly everything is inspiring to the aspiring artist. The garden, the mail, even ballet class inspires Nancy to create. When her friend, Bree returns that only makes the creating more fun. Famous artists are carefully woven throughout the story, which help present and inspire a range of art types from the colorful pages. Flowing with creative inspiration, this Fancy N ...more
Ange (MarmaladeLibby of Libby Blog) Schmelzer
When Nancy's best friend, Bree, gets to go on vacation to a REAL art museum, she feels terrible. An art museum sounds SO FANCY and it's in New York City of all places! The most glamorous place of all! When Nancy's mom surprises her with brand new glitter markers and her little sister with crayons inspiration strikes! Nancy begins on an artistic journey while waiting for Bree to get back, which ends in a Local Artist Exhibit right in their very own back yard!

Mallory's thoughts: I loved this beca
Kassie Houston
Grade: pre-k
Genre: realistic- fiction
Award(s): none

The vocabulary in this book would be great in a writing lesson on stretching student word use. I would teach the students the synonyms for the big silly words that Nancy use. I would have about a three day follow-up activity. One activity would be to have the students choose a word and from the synonym list that we created and they would trace the dots (spelling out the word). I would also have them go home and they would have to use the word co
Alyssa Pierce
Who knew a young girl could be a great artist? I do not think Fancy Nancy ever doubted herself. In this book, she takes inspiration from all sorts of different places in order to create art. Once again, this Fancy Nancy book is very informational. It mentions many different artists and the different techniques they used to create their artwork. It is interesting to see how these famous pieces of art are interpreted through the eyes of a young girl. It is refreshing how it makes these famous piec ...more
Kaley Matous
This book taught a great lesson about how art and creativity is unique to each individual. I think this is important to read to an elementary class before art projects are begun for the year. This can help teach the class that not everybody's artwork will look the same and it is okay for your projects to be different and reflect who they are.
Pat Fromm
The art style is gorgeous. I love all the detail in the characters' hair and accessories. I thought the "X is just fancy for Y" was a great way of introducing new words. The introduction to famous artists and art styles was also excellent.
The last page was a bit of a let down. My wife audibly disapproved.
Maria
Well I ll be glued and glittered; Ms. Fancy Nancy Clancy has yet another exciting adventure. The story begins with Fancy Nancy standing in the rain watching her friend Bree leave for a New York City vacation. Nancy needs something to do while her friend is glamming it up in NYC, so inspired by a gift of glitter markers from her mom, she starts to create and explore art. The illustrations are well done, and augment (that s a fancy word for adding to) the entertaining (and & shhhh don t tell a ...more
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
By Trevor and Lydia

The characters in this book are: Nancy, mom, dad, and Lionel. The story takes place at Nancy's house and in an art museum. The problem was that Nancy couldn't go to see a 3D movie with Lionel because she had to go to a museum with her family. The problem was solved when Lionel got to go to the museum with Nancy and she liked going to the museum. She even saw a Jackson Polleck painting! The message we learned was that some things are more important than others. Like art is more
Jill
A great use for Foundations in Classical Conversations when we study artists. Includes Monet & Degas both in Cycle 2 I think and Jackson Pollock. Great introduction for children.
Stephanie
This particular Fancy Nancy book discusses famous authors and painting styles. It would be fun to do the artwork that is introduced in the book with kids at home or school.
Cathe Olson
I thought this book would be perfect for my aspiring artist daughter, but she and I were both unimpressed by the book. There really was no story--just a list of art projects that Nancy tried. I really miss the originality and personality of the first few books. Also, my daughter wanted to know what happened with Bree--the story starts out with Nancy missing her friend but then the friend theme is totally dropped and it ends with her happy about getting a manicure. There's no story arc at all. I' ...more
Laura Anne Heller
Great read for Art Appreciation Month storytime (August). Kids were inspired!
Adrienne
This is a fun look at some different artists and finding your own inspiration to create. Like it a lot.
Anisa Onofre
Maya says she gives this book 5 stars because it's about art and painting, which she likes!
Kim T.
What a very excellent book! I adored how the author included the names of various artists. This does so much in the way of encouraging kids to do further research. I also liked that she presented various types of art, even though PWS was not honored as a preparatory step in art. The biggest highlight for me was the art exhibit that the kids had. I loved it!

As usual, the vocabulary words introduced in this book and in the entire series are stellar. Nancy Clancy is my girl!
Miri
Fancy Nancy's friend Bree is away for a whole week! What's a girl to do without her BFF? Become an artist and have her own art show of course! Truly a cute story!
Monica
Although I am getting a little burned out on Fancy Nancy books I still enjoyed this one. Elementary art teachers will love this book for its mention of famous artists and their styles. I always love Fancy Nancy for her use of what she calls fancy words and then telling the reader what those words mean. I couldn't help but notice that the author used two of the same paintings that Ian Falconer did in his book Olivia.
Heidi
I like that some artists are mentioned--a simple introduction for kids if they don't know many artists. And I liked seeing Nancy try the different styles--a good way to inspire creativity. But it really bothers me with all the "that's a fancy word for..." I guess I just have to admit that the Fancy Nancy books aren't quite my thing. But I will continue to recommend to all of the fancier girls out there.
Megan Sanchez
It's a rare book series that manages to be educational and fun at the same time. Fancy Nancy is just that. While this particular book doesn't have much of a story, it does encourage kids to experiment with art and teaches about the styles of a few major artists such as Monet and Pollock. The illustrations as colorful and eyecatching as ever.
Alysia Adams
Title: Fancy Nancy: Aspiring Artist
Author: Jane O’Connor
Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Publisher: HarperCollins
Date: March 2011
Genre: Fiction/Creativity
Strength/Aspect of Special Interest: This book teaches students about hobbies and art in general. This would be a great introduction to an art project!
Gwnhwyfer
I love Fancy Nancy! She's just so over the top - colourful, dramatic, so fancy! :)
When bff Bree goes off to New York on a family vacation, FN is left to her own devices - and mom suggests art! I liked how each day, FN (and us!) learned about a different style art/artist, and how it tied up at the end.
Tam
My 8-year-old liked this book but my 4-year-old didn't. It wasn't as "cute" as some of the other Fancy Nancy books we've read and it seemed to be more informational than story-like. They talked about Edgar Degas, Claude Monet, Henri Matisse, and Jackson Pollock.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Mrs. Knott
I enjoy the Fancy Nancy books, even if they are all so similar! This one was fun because it included copies of some famous paintings. I like that the author was trying to introduce some new experiences to young "Nancy" fans!
  • Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink
  • The Cow That Went OINK
  • Sky Color
  • Goyangi Means Cat
  • The Paper Princess
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • Pirates Don't Take Baths
  • Sylvie
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Fancy Nancy Heart to Heart
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth