Start by marking “Wemberly Worried” as Want to Read:
Wemberly Worried

Wemberly Worried (Mouse Books)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  13,701 Ratings  ·  880 Reviews
Wemberly worried about everything.

Big things.

Little things.

And things in between.

Then it was time for school to start.And Wemberly worried even more.

If you ever worry (or know someone who does), this is the book for you.
Published July 25th 2000 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wemberly Worried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wemberly Worried

Kathryn
Feb 18, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Okay, I love Kevin Henkes! He is a genius! I want to read all of his books!!! I can't wait to share them with my kids! I love how he looks at children's joys and hopes and fears with absolute RESPECT.

In this story, Wemberly (who is a GIRL mouse, I might add--from the cover and name, I expected a boy for some reason!) worries about big things (like something happening to her parents) and small things (like spilling juice), she worries about her bunny doll (and when she worries she rubs her dolls
Lisa Vegan
Feb 20, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anxious children; children about to start school or any new endeavor; all children
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Well, my mother called me a worry wart when I was a child so this probably would have been a perfect book for me. I now know some kids who are likely to appreciate this book.

Cute, funny, true.

Wemberly is a girl mouse who worries about everything, and the things she worries about really are things that children worry about, small, big, and in-between things. And, Wemberly’s fears do lessen by the end of the book, but there’s not some sort of happily ever after ending, and I really appreciate that
Gennie Hendrick
I really like this story and I think this would be a great book to read to a child who is apprehensive about going to school for the first time, going to a new class/school, or if you have a worrier like Wemberly.
Bernadette
Sep 03, 2009 Bernadette rated it liked it
In this story, Wemberly, a young mouse, worries about everything! The author takes the readers through her list of worries – big ones and small ones. Wemberly worries constantly despite her grandmother telling her she worries too much. The source of her biggest worry is her first day of school. When she arrives however, her teacher introduces her to another student who also is carrying a doll and seems a bit shy. The two become instant friends and enjoy their first day of school together. As ...more
Karissa Olson
This is the story of a young mouse named Wemberly who worried about everything. Whether it was day or night and no matter how much her parents tried to comfort her, she was constantly worrying. When Wemberly had to start school that added to the things she worried about. It wasn’t until she met a girl named Jewel, who was just as shy as she was, that she learned her worries started to fade. This book is great for young reader from 1st or 2nd grade, because especially the beginning is simple ...more
NS-Christine Johnson
Oct 07, 2009 NS-Christine Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wemberly worries about everything! Her parents tell her not to worry. Her grandmother tells her not to worry, but Wemberly still worries. She worries about big things and small things and especially about her first day at school. What if the teacher is mean? What if she hates the snack? Read to find out how Wemberly's first day of school goes. Will Wemberly continue to worry?

This is an adorable book filled with colorful pictures of Wemberly the mouse. Children will be able to identify with some
Shamilah Gillani
Feb 17, 2013 Shamilah Gillani rated it it was amazing
"Wemberly Worried" is a great book about a little mouse who worries all the time. She worries about every possible thing there is to worry about, even when her parents tell her not to! So naturally, she is worried about her first day of school. Surprisingly, she finds friends who are worried as well! I like that the book gives the message that we may be different, but we are all also the same in one way or another. My students can learn that it's okay to be worried and scared, because chances ...more
Sabrina Henry
This was an interesting book about a little girl who is usually worriedsome. The author gently, yet in a fun way, explained the worriedsome characters of this little girl. The book outlines fears and anxieties that are usually experienced by children in new situations. I can relate to this book because even as an adult I still experience some of these fears and anxieties when I'm about to encounter any form of newness. Due to the fact that I am aware of this and also the impact this can have on ...more
Julie
Oct 05, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Wemberly Worried is one of my favorite children's books I've read in the past year. The story details the worries of an anxious young mouse. It culminates in her biggest worry yet -- her upcoming first day of school. This would be perfect for soothing the concerns of a student approaching their first day of school. I enjoyed the alliteration and literary motifs throughout the story. I especially liked the humor in the story, including Wemberly's carefree grandmother. Highly recommended!
Tatiana
May 11, 2016 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Kevin Henkes' young characters and their relatable vulnerabilities? In this tale, little Wemberly worries over just about everything--especially starting kindergarten. Yet, school turns out to be the place where her worries are shared, and also dismissed. A good story for young children with anxiety.
Shaley Dunn
Aug 30, 2012 Shaley Dunn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, worry
Poor Wemberly worries about everything. Now she has a bigger worry than ever, her first day of school. Her parents try to get her to not worry, but nothing helps. Great pictures and a lot of kids could relate to worrying about the first day of school.
Carrie
Mar 20, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I had to add this book to my list. I read it today to my daughter who is a huge worrier and it was wonderful, she was able to see how silly it is too worry about silly things and she was able to laugh at herself. I love this book!
Sharlet Mullen
Feb 25, 2013 Sharlet Mullen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is a fun book of how children really look at going to school for the first time. Then they meet a good friend and have the best time.
Anna
One of my new favorites for kids. I was definitely a worrier child, and this book helps my preschool students who are worriers feel better when they hear it.
Courtney Bird
Sep 28, 2015 Courtney Bird rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd
I feel that this is an excellent book for the classroom especially today. I think that it would help with kids today as anxiety rates are increasing in the United States.
Cyndi
Jan 23, 2008 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
I love Wemberly! If you worry too much, you will love Wemberly too.
Mary
Jan 23, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
My hubby says I'm Wemberly so as you can imagine I totally relate to this sweet little mouse.
Laurie
Mar 24, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Siomara
Mar 21, 2015 Siomara rated it it was amazing
She worried so much, it worried me! I recommend this book it is great.
Heather
Aug 15, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
so cute, Wemberly worries about everything! Kind of reminds me of someone, oh right, ME!
Ellie Hipp
Nov 17, 2016 Ellie Hipp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng350
Wemberly worried is all about a little mouse named Wemberly who's biggest problem is that she can't stop worrying. She worries about everything, including worrying about worrying too much. Finally, on the first day of her new school, Wemberly is of course very worried. Soon enough, she meets a new friend who worries just like her. They play together all day, and by the end of the day, Wemberly realizes that she hasn't worried at all since she made a new friend. This book is wonderful. Weather ...more
Nicole
Nov 14, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic, simple story about anxiety! I would definitely recommend this to young-middle primary, but also as a fun reminder for older primary as well. I will be using this in my small counseling group for anxiety.
J
Nov 02, 2016 J rated it it was amazing
I relate to Wemberly so much and I can't stand it. Wemberly is a little mouse who worries about everything, and I do mean everything. She keeps being reassured by her mother, father, and grandmother, but still she worries. The ending is sweet and made me tear up.
Morgan
Sep 13, 2016 Morgan rated it really liked it
Summary: This book is about a mouse named Wemberly who worries about quite possibly everything. She worries about things such as whether or not there will be enough at her party, she worries that no one will come to the party, etc. Although her parents and others try to discourage her from doing so, Wemberly cannot forgo her worrying habits and they soon consume her thoughts. Ultimately, it is time for Wemberly to start school. At this time her teacher notices that she is having a hard time ...more
Ashleigh Boeckmann
Sep 28, 2016 Ashleigh Boeckmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
I believe that this is a good book for children. This is a good book to show children that it is ok to worry but you do not have to worry all the time. This book is about a mouse that worries a lot. Whether if it is in the day or in the evening, Wemberly is always worried. But her family was always there to tell her that there is nothing to worry about. There are times when people worry but it is important that everything will turn out ok.
Sidney
This book is about a mouse who worried about everything. She worried because she would have the same costume as everyone else and then she worried that she was the only one. She only stopped worrying when she met another little girl who was just like her and they stopped worrying together. This is a good book that teaches kids that friendship can help people or mousses overcome obstacles.
Adrianna Wesley
Genre: Children's Picture Book/ fantasy (talking mice)
Age: 5+ years old
Summary: This book is about a girl mouse named Wemberly. Now Wemberly worried about everything and anything. Wemberly worries about big things like something bad happening to her parents to the smallest things like spilling her juice all over,is worries that id she rubs her bunny doll's ears too much they will fall off. But none of these worries come close to her fear of school. Her parents and her grandma tell her to not wor
Christa Balero
Sep 19, 2016 Christa Balero rated it really liked it
This is another wonderful book to start discussion during the first week of school as we decide how we are going to make our classroom safe and comfortable for our students. It follows a student and her worries as she starts school and is nervous about being successful and making friends. The book could also be used to talk about emotions and how we can tell how people feel by their actions and facial expressions.
Kay
Sep 20, 2016 Kay rated it it was ok
She worries until she finds she's not alone, she has a friend
Anna Hernandez
Poor, scarred, worrisome Wemberly spends every second of her life worrying about everything. She worries about big things, small things, and everything in between. She is a complete wreck on the first day of school worrying that no one will like her and that everyone will make fun of her, until she meets Jewel. They become fast friends and it makes the first day of school fun, memorable, and worry free.
My response to this book is that I think it’s a great book to read the first week of school.
  • My Name Is Yoon
  • Enemy Pie
  • The Princess and the Pig
  • How to Heal a Broken Wing
  • black is brown is tan
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Tooth Trouble
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell