Start by marking “Lily y su Bolso de Plastico Morado = Lily and Her Little Purple Plastic Purse” as Want to Read:
Lily y su Bolso de Plastico Morado = Lily and Her Little Purple Plastic Purse

Lily y su Bolso de Plastico Morado = Lily and Her Little Purple Plastic Purse (Mouse Books)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  22,627 Ratings  ·  827 Reviews
Lilly, the indomitable mouse-child from Chester's Way and Julius, the Baby of the World, returns in a story about school. Lilly loves everything about school: the pointy pencils, the squeaky chalk, the fish sticks and chocolate milk in the lunchroom. But one day, Lilly has something to share with her class--and she can't wait until Sharing Time. Full color. 8/96.
School & Library Binding, 32 pages
Published October 28th 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published May 1st 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about Lily y su Bolso de Plastico Morado = Lily and Her Little Purple Plastic Purse

I adore Lilly and almost everything she does. (Unless she was a student in my classroom. Then I'd have to alternate between finding her incredibly charming and witty, and wanting to smack her.)
Sep 19, 2007 elissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and early elementary schoolers
I remember reading this when it first came out, and I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to childrens' books at that point. Henkes' books are great fun for both adults and children, and the most fun as a one-on-one read-aloud.
Destinee Sutton
My favorite part is the note the teacher gives her: "Today was hard. Tomorrow will be better." Somedays I really need a note like that.
Jan 25, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-lit, humor
Such a fun read. We read this tonight to put my son to be and discussed that we knew a couple of little girls just like Lilly.
i am the only person alive who is half thrilled by this book, i'm sure. lilly has a purse. she gets mad at her teacher. they make up. the end. blah blah blah.
Oct 12, 2016 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I thought this was a great book; it covers great teachers who provide creative outlets for the kids and inspire them to want to teach.

It discusses the exuberance of a young girl (mouse) who gets a new toy and wants so desperately to share it with her classmates, but ends up being a disruption to the class.

And finally, best of all, it covers the sensitive topics of frustration, anger, regret and remorse in an easy to understand way.

Our girls enjoyed this story, but I loved it for the moralisti
Jul 21, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
A lesson in forgiveness.

Well, we read this again two years later and my son really got into the pictures, pointing things out. He loved it.
Jan 15, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story about awareness for other's feelings. Lilly loves her teacher--he is funny and stylish and kind. Lilly wants to be a lot of things when she grows up, like a diva and a doctor, but right now she really, really wants to be a teacher because she is so inspired by her own. But one day, when she brings a purple plastic purse to school and just cannot wait until show-and-tell to show it off to everyone (even after her teacher asks her to please be patient and not disrupt the ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 22, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: K-2, especially girls
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
A few tons of thanks to Goodreads friend Kathryn who recommended this book to me because I doubt I’d have read it if not for her recommendation. I’d seen this book, but its title did not seem at all appealing to me; I didn’t know what it was about but what my imagination conjured up was so far off the mark.

This is a wonderful story about Lilly (I haven’t yet read the earlier two books in which she’s featured) who loves her teacher so much she wants to be a teacher too, until she has a very diffi
Apr 03, 2010 Aerin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute pictures, plucky little girl, but way, way too wordy to read out loud very often
Jul 01, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, picture
Apr 24, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
This book has so much going for it - a feisty little protagonist, Lilly, a wise and compassionate teacher, Mr. Slinger, and parents who know what to do when their little girl comes home from school with a tale of woe. Lilly the white mouse loves everything about school, especially her teacher, Mr. Slinger who is so cool. One day Lilly comes to school with her new purple plastic purse that plays a jaunty tune and holds her movie-star sunglasses and three shiny new quarters. Lilly can't wait for s ...more

I have been reading Kevin Henkes’ books ever since I was small, so it was a great day for me in discovering an old favorite of mine when I was small. “Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse” is a children’s book by Kevin Henkes that details the relationship that Lilly has with her teacher Mr. Slinger and how one event almost causes a huge rift between them. “Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse” is a truly beautiful book about having a great relationship with your teachers that everyone will love for many years!

Eva Leger
Jul 11, 2011 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
Julia and I listened to this on audio last night and we both really enjoyed it. I haven't listened to many audio books for myself but Julia and I have listened to a handful together and besides John Lithgow in Micawber the narrator here is awesome.
Her voice inflections are perfect, the voices of other characters in the book are perfect. (I think Julia's really starting to love audio books because I suck at voices.)
I love the way she incorporated Lilly's (and the others) thoughts and even if you
Kevin Evans
Sep 04, 2011 Kevin Evans rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I think that while the girls in a class would find this book to be fun, the boys might be detracted at how it seemes "girly". However, there are many ways that you could connect this book to a class through writing activities and show and tell. Lilly was really excited becuase she went shopping with her grandma and recived a new pair of sunglasses. She wanted so badly to show the class. A lesson could be setup to have the students bring in their favorite item like Lilly did to her class. The wri ...more
Oct 27, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
One of the best parts about reading books to kids is that I'm reading it as the person I've become, but looking at my kids, I remember the person I was. Really, it's as if two mes are reading.

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse is about a little girl mouse who wants to grow up to be a teacher. She has an incredible and inspiring mouse teacher - Mr. Slinger.

She plays school at home, pretending to be him. She writes books in his honor, and all her works of art feature him.

Then one day she brings a purple
We all learn at some point the life lesson of forgiveness and this book does a great job of making it understandable to kids. Shows that at some point people we care about will disappoint us and it is how we handle the disappointment that really makes us a better person.
Jan 31, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lilly is so true to life: charming, exuberant, flawed. This is exactly the type of drama kids experience at school and Henkes captures their feelings perfectly. There is a moment when Lilly realizes the error of her ways, and the illustration shows her getting smaller and smaller....every class I've read it to has so much to say about that feeling, and many other moments in the book. Perfect for teaching text to self connections...and lots of fun to boot.
Aug 15, 2013 Roxey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites!
Kate Babbitt
This book is about a little mouse who can't wait to show off her new purple plastic purse that plays a song when it is opened. She takes it out before sharing time and disturbs the class. Her teacher takes away her purse and she is devastated without it. This book has great pictures that are creative in creating mice the main characters and showing the series of expressions. I would use this book to go into a personal narrative that the students could create to tell a story on one of their favor ...more
I like Henkes' art, but we were never much into purses, so we were indifferent to the appeal of the story.
Adriana Rodriguez
This book is about a young girl, Lilly, who is incredibly infatuated with her teacher, Mr. Slinger. After a weekend of shopping, Lilly came to class wanting to show off her new things (including her purple plastic purse) while Mr. Slinger was teaching. Since Lilly was being disrespectful, Mr. Slinger took her things up for the day. Although angry Lilly drew a very mean picture of Mr. Slinger, he wrote her a sweet note that he left in her purse when he gave it back to her at the end of the day. W ...more
Roselyn Roderick
I would use this as a reference for teaching kindness, individuality, and apologizing when you are wrong!
Tay Jackson
Oct 08, 2016 Tay Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about this book is that Lilly really wanted to be a teacher. I also liked that it had captions on some of the pictures. For example, on the very first page before the book even starts it says "LILLY loved school." and it shows a picture of her with a caption of her actually saying that she loves school. This goes on throughout the entire book.
Olivia Kelly
Lilly is a sweet young mouse that children will love, not only for her loud personality but for her growth throughout the story. As the readers watch her struggle with patience after she goes shopping and gets some shiny new coins, sunglasses and best of all a purple plastic purse that she cannot wait to show off in class, they can reflect on times they have seen this happen or done it themselves and learn how to better deal with the situation. Although, after reading this book as an adult, it d ...more
Oct 12, 2016 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this because it accurately depicts how a kid could get in trouble, and shows kids how to deal with difficult emotions like anger, first by showing them what NOT to do. I'd love to use this in my story time, but it is a group of 4's, and it would really be ideal for a slightly older group (k-2).
A great book for helping students work through their emotions, and learning appropriate ways to express feelings.
Lauren Johnson
Cute book. Way to teach about feelings and the best ways to handle them.
Emily Eidson
Oct 16, 2016 Emily Eidson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
Discussion post #7 1 4 Apr 06, 2015 06:21PM
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • The Princess and the Pig
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • First Snow in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
  • Mrs. Katz and Tush
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell
  • Lilly's Big Day
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Penny and Her Song

“Today was a difficult day. Tomorrow will be better” 83 likes
“Today was a difficult day.
Tomorrow will be better.'
-Mr. Slinger”