Start by marking “Each Peach Pear Plum” as Want to Read:
Each Peach Pear Plum

Each Peach Pear Plum

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  12,427 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
In this book with your little eye, take a look and play I spy- so starts the classic story from best-selling author/illustrator team, Janet and Allan Ahlberg.Each Peach Pear Plumintroduces favourite fairy tale characters, such as Tom Thumb and The Three Bears and, with a poem on each page hinting as to what is hiding in the picture, children are encouraged to participate a ...more
Published March 26th 1979 by Viking (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Each Peach Pear Plum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Each Peach Pear Plum

Apr 16, 2008 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever, and the kids like to spot things.
Mar 21, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fun board book that combines characters from several different fairy tales with rhyming narrative and busy, interesting illustrations. We enjoyed reading this book together.

This story was selected as one of the books for the February 2013 - Fractured / Alternative Mother Goose discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Tanya W
Sep 12, 2013 Tanya W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it and we have read and re-read it several times this week... fun for kids and fun for me too! This is the kind of book I can see myself writing. When I think of writing children's books... these are the kind of fun ideas that come to me.

And who doesn't love a little I Spy in a children's book?
Shanaz Begum
Sep 10, 2011 Shanaz Begum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book as a child. I really like how the story is written in a rhyming format. When a character is introduced you can find the character on the opposite page.It really engages the children in the book, which I've seen when reading the book to children in a reception class. It challenges the children to look carefully for the nursery rhyme character. You have to look carefully when looking for the characters, althought I have read the book endless times I always find it diffic ...more
Stephen Barry
Sep 12, 2011 Stephen Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each Peach Pear Plum is a picture book by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. This is a book that I have owned and consistently read to my four year old daughter for the past two years. The clear and detailed pictures are important in terms of helping the child to visually interact with the book. When reading this she really enjoys finding the area of the picture relevant to the text. For example, "Tom thumb in the cupboard, I spy Mother Hubbard" we look for Tom Thumb and Mother Hubbard in the picture. Ver ...more
Amy Hoang
Sep 24, 2011 Amy Hoang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each Peach Pear Plum is full of beautiful and detailed illustrations. It is a story which contains simple rhymes of many familiar characters from fairytales with very catchy words. It follows a consistent format, with each page beginning with the character that was spied in the previous page, creates a nice flow to the story. Good for children who have just begun to read as it does not contain many words on each page, a very simple layout. I would use this book in literacy lessons for a Year 1 c ...more
Sep 25, 2011 Fatimah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best rhyming books I can remember from my child hood.The book is great for phonic sounds and letter sound associations. The book is also ideal for early readers who like to explore as listeners are encouraged to find hidden characters and objects within the pictures, just like the 'I spy' game. The book can be a base of many activities such as: identifying rhyming words and the 'I spy with my eye' game itself. Fine colourful details within the pictures also help to capture the readers ...more
Oct 14, 2011 MLE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My mother read this to both my sister and I when we were little, and to this day both of us can recite it from memory.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is an absolute classic, and I'd be surprised if there's anyone in English-speaking countries, at least, who hasn't heard of it, read it and loved it. First published the year before I was born, in 1978, it's still going strong, with a wonderful rhyming story complemented by luscious illustrations. The text incorporates famous fictional characters - Cinderella, Mother Hubbard, the Wicked Witch, Robin Hood, Jack and Jill etc. - and the pictures add an "I Spy" game to it. Tricky for younger re ...more
Brandi Smith
Apr 12, 2012 Brandi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet and Allan Ahlberg recieved the Kate Greenaway Medal for Illustration for this picturebook in 1978. The intended audience for this book is children ages birth to five(N).
This book is reminiscent of the "I Spy" and "Walter Wick" titles, employing whimsical illustration instead of photographs. Using short simple rhymes, the author guides the young reader on a scavenger hunt, in search of the familiar nursery rhyme characters cleverly nestled within the illustrations.
I gave this book 4 star
Paul Jackson
Apr 30, 2012 Paul Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each Peach Pear Plum was another favourite book of mine as a young children, which has been read a huge amount of times. The book involves familiar nursery rhyme characters who are hidden in the illustrations, which children have to try to find whilst looking at the pictures. Therefore, the book is both engaging, interactive and is ideally suited for reading allowed to a class. I think this book is ideally suited for nursery aged children.
May 02, 2012 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic picture book, which would be great for EYFS. This book is fun way to introduce the children to the concept of "I spy". The children have to look on each page for different characters from various nursery rhymes and books (for example Robin Hood, Jack and Jill). At the end all the characters are together for the last page, eating the plum pie together.

A fun and interactive book, children will enjoy this book as they will be actively looking on each page for the character, a clue is pro
This is a cute book, but not a big hit with my son. He was mildly interested in looking for the characters in the rhymes. But maybe that's more telling of me as a mother. Turns out he only recognized about half of these well known nursery rhyme characters. But then, maybe he's too old for the book? After all, the (very minimal) text is really for young children. But, then again, if he was all that much younger, how would he know all the characters?

My son really clicked however with The Great Nur
Jul 10, 2012 Georgina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favourite books! It is a picture book that is based on characters from traditional tales. It uses the game 'I spy' to encourage the reader to spot the characters in a variety of different settings.
This book would be suitable for Early Years as it has rhythmical text and features a game that will be recognised by young children.
It is a great book which young learners can become involved in. It can be read to the whole class and followed by setting smaller group tasks and/or in
Jawaher Mirza
Jan 07, 2013 Jawaher Mirza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely delightful book, which takes children into traditional rhymes and stories. I love how the rhyming text and the beautifully warm and sunny illustrations work together. It invites participation as children have to look for hidden characters on every page.
Brilliant for the Early Years stage as also KS1.
Papia Sultana
Jan 23, 2013 Papia Sultana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reflecting back to my childhood, this was one my favourite books! I read this book so many times that in the end, I memorised all the lines! It is a colourful picture book based on characters from traditional tales and consists of rhyming words and is very easy to remember. It begins with… ‘Each Peach Pear Plum, I spy…. Tom Thumb.’ Tom Thumb then spies another traditional character and the rhyme continues. It is a short and fun book to read. It engages and excites the reader from the start. It i ...more
Feb 04, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute and fun. I remember this from when I was a child and I think that fondness bumps it up to five stars. I loved "I Spy" type things back then and now I can appreciate the smooth flow of the rhyme scheme and the clever illustrations and I just really enjoyed the variety of Mother Goose characters and how their little stories are related. I can see why this is a "classic" :-)
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
I read along to the CD recording narrated by Buffy Allen. I feel the narration and inclusion of music made the reading experience more pleasant. The narration, soothing colors of the illustrations, and rhyming text make for a warm, gentle, fun read. Each page shares a rhyme that encourages the readers to play a game of I SPY with the intention of spotting nursery rhyme and folk tales characters. For instance, Robin Hood, the wicked Witch, Cinderella, Mother Hubbard, Jack and Jill, etc.
Apr 24, 2013 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Just love, love this book! The illustrations, the rhyme and the hunt!
Apr 25, 2013 Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents who like stories that aren't too long!
In Each Peach Pear Plum, Allan Ahlberg explores the darkest realms of fantasy, describing in ultra-minimalist style the dichotomy between good and evil. Allan’s repetitive text wastes no words; this is espionage literature with the gripping narrative of Forsyth and Ludlum, written with sinister style of Le Carré and Greene. Characters are spotted, but only rarely are we given a glimpse of their fate – we know that Jack and Jill will fall down the hill, but it will happen off-screen, and in our i ...more
Nov 02, 2015 Tweedledum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents everywhere
A delightful rhyming book with intricate clever pictures that can grow up with the child. I began reading this to my eldest son when he was about six months old and just enjoyed the sound of words he couldn't understand and was still reading it very enthusiastically to my daughter 12 years later when she put in an appearance. Of the literally hundreds of times I have read this book to a child it has never bored me but has been an utter delight over and over again.
Oct 14, 2013 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book allows the reader to play a game of 'I Spy' with familiar characters from tradition tales and nursery rhymes. The book yours different stories, getting the reader to find characters such as Goldilocks, Tom Thumb and Jack and Jill. This book would be a lovely too for children to explore familiar stories and characters, whilst playing the game which runs through the book. Due to the age of this book, at times it appears dated and old fashioned, yet is it beautifully illustrated and child ...more
Dec 16, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet and Allan Ahlberg’s Each Peach Pear Plum was awarded the Kate Greenaway Medal in 1978 and has remained a beloved pattern book since that time. The story opens with a cozy watercolor of a pie, fresh-out-of-the oven, and a mouse, reading to dig into the delicious pastry. Underneath the drawing, readers are welcomed to “the text, and informed that “in this book”, they’ll be asked to “play ‘I spy’”.

Allan and Ahlberg’s text is repetitious, rhyming, and predictable, making it a perfect choice fo
Feb 11, 2015 Desi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp-reads
Such an awesome book.
Arielle Walker
This was just... Not fun.
Apr 03, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I adore this book and it was a favourite of both my son and daughter when they were little. This is a book to read to them when they're small and for them to read to you when they are a bit older. Children love looking at the really nice pictures and trying to find the 'hidden' character on each page, which makes them feel clever.
The story is in the form of a rhyme, so reads lyrically and appeals to children, also aiding memory. I can still remember some of it, years later!
I recommend this book
Sep 01, 2015 Aneesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Still fun!
Lucy Sands
Beautiful rhyming picture book combining classic children characters every child will recognise, with the well known game 'eye spy'. A real classic that has stood the test of time.
This is a charming book incorporating rhyme on every page. There are few words on each page, allowing the illustrations to tell the most part of the story. The writer draws the reader to the pictures - each page has an, "I spy..." to encourage a much closer look at the illustrations. The book features familiar characters from traditional tales, such as Cinderella, the three bears, Robin Hood, and Jack and Jill, which makes it a little more interesting seeing how all these characters from a numbe ...more
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Tickle, Tickle
  • Wombat Divine
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years
More about Janet Ahlberg...