Start by marking “Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-By-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  18 reviews
“Boo Davis is a rock star! Dare to Be Square Quilting is the perfect patchwork primer for beginners and a refreshing review for experienced quilters. A must-have book for any quilt or craft library.” --Denyse Schmidt (author of Denyse Schmidt Quilts)

. . . My approach to quilting is an approach for true beginners. I don’t like triangles, circles, hexagons, diamonds, rhomb
Published August 31st 2010 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Be Square Quilting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Be Square Quilting

Nicolle
Well, this is a classic don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover moment. I have passed over this book time and again because I really can't stand the owl quilt pictured on the cover. I finally just bit it and borrowed the book from the library and was pleasantly surprised! The book is much more modern than its cover suggests, and the projects all seem to be very simple, as there are no bias or curved edges to deal with. The gem of this book in my opinion is the bright lights, patchwork city pillow on pag ...more
Carissa
oh my. i'm returning this book to the library today with a heart full of longing. i WISH that i had time to make even one of the awesome projects in this book (robot quilt? the owl quilt from the cover? the fantastic "love it or leaf it" tree quilt? that awesome weiner dog baby quilt?! swoon.), but since I don't, this book has been sitting on my coffee table, taunting me with the loveliness inside and i can't take it anymore. very, very inspiring projects. note to self: when you're done with you ...more
Kristel
These some really neat patterns in this book, and all of them simple enough even for new sewers. I like her 'scraphazard' approach to fabric choices, though I found some of them comments about using entire lines of fabric (rather than just random choices) a bit snotty.

In any case, it's got more patterns in it that I think I'll actually make than most books, so that's definitely a good thing.
Angela
Fresh, fun, easy to understand! I really like this book! The patterns are fresh and fun, the information is laid out well, and even a newbie sewist could follow it and make a quilt if they wanted to. I am not a newbie, but I really enjoyed Boo Davis and the part of her story she shares in the book. It also has lots of great tips thrown throughout the book to help all of us with sewing/quilting.
This book is unlike any other quilting book I've seen, which is an accomplishment in itself. The "scraphazard" style really isn't my thing (especially the part where you add a fabric that looks like a mistake: nope, those will be occurring organically all on their own :)) but if you dig the owl quilt on the cover it's probably worth at least checking out.
Leah
Overall, incredible book for a beginner - encouraging and instructive. The best quilting book I own!

Simplistic and awesome designs, amazingly detailed directions (with pictures) and just a general tone that makes you comfortable with the fact that you're taking on a pretty big project and that you can finish it and it will be wonderful.
Emily
There are some neat ideas and patterns in here. My favorite is probably the cover quilt of the owl. But the patterns seem overly complicated to me, so I'm not sure I'd ever make them. But I am really excited about some of the quilting tips and ideas in the book, and I am excited to use them.
Erika
Great quilting book for beginners, and I can't believe how much I like some of these patterns, even though they are very simple! My kiddo wants me to make her the skull quilt, and she loves the owl and robot, too. I think I'm going to stitch up the scarf project - looks like a great gift idea.
Mandy
This is my new years resolution, to learn to quilt, and these are realistic ones I can do and I really like. Very good stuff. I love her simple fun patterns. I've already redesigned her robot one to suit a penguin for my son. This makes me excited to get going.
Sherri
Nice book for beginners. No weird measurements in dealing with 1/8" as in so many other books. Either whole or half inch measurements. Nice photos. Beginners should take a look at this.
Niki
For some reason I was hesitant to take this book out of the library. My mistake as it has some very cool projects in it. I might have to buy this one...
Michelle
Definitely worth buying alone for the quilting technique described. There are a few projects I'd like to try. I may buy this book.
Tiffiny
This has to be one of my new favorite books, of all time! It is so fun and has some great quits inside!!
Seana
My fav for beginner stuff, still referencing this one years later. Plus the design is punk awesomeness!
Rebecca
I am actually purchasing this one... enough said for me.
Kelly
Fabulous ideas for baby quilts
Leslie Hickman
Only one or two patterns were worth it
Some cute ideas in here.
Mariana Rothmann
Mariana Rothmann marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014