Start by marking “A Hard Death: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Hard Death: A Novel
Preview

A Hard Death: A Novel (Dr. Edward Jenner #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Brilliant forensic pathologist Edward Jenner returns in this explosive sequel to Precious Blood—an edgy, electrifying thriller set in a small-town coastal community where nothing is as it seems.

Edward Jenner, introduced in Precious Blood, has survived the horrific ordeal of the Inquisitor serial killings in New York, but not the political fallout. His state medical license
Published April 12th 2011 by Harper (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Hard Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hard Death

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Murder. Killers. The Everglades.
This book was very well written and had me on the edge of my seat, can't quite turn the page fast enough read.
cheryl
A Hard Death is a sequel to an earlier novel by the author (Precious Blood) and follows forensic pathologist Edward Jenner as he becomes immersed in a series of mysteries in southern Florida. I do think having read the prior novel would give the reader a head start in understanding Jenner and his past (involving a serial killer in NYC and related personal background), but I was able to catch up. I'm not a huge thriller/mystery girl but enjoyed watching the threads tie together and think Hayes ha ...more
Wendi
A Hard Death
By Jonathan Hayes
Published by Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers

Mexican drug cartels, corruption, child sex trade, and heinous fear evoking murder, all play a part in this gritty crime thriller played out in the Everglades of Florida.

When Edward Jenner agrees to stand in as Douglas County Medical Examiner for his long time mentor and friend, he has no idea what he’s in for. Almost as soon as he arrives, bodies begin to stack upincluding those of the resident Medical Exami
The Sunday Book Review
In this book I follow Dr. Jenner as he moves to a new town and immediately finds himself in the middle of murder and drama. It starts out fun enough. He moves in and the former M.E. has been found murdered and he has to perform the autopsy. Then bodies start popping up hanging from trees and being run over. Love it.

And then I find out that all the murders are connected and I feel a bit deflated. I don’t want everything to be connected. I want different story lines where the lead character, in th
iubookgirl
A Hard Death is the second in Jonathan Hayes’ Edward Jenner series. Having read the first, Precious Blood, is not a prerequisite for reading A Hard Death. I had no problem following the story without previous knowledge of Dr. Jenner. I will admit though, I’m curious to read the Precious Blood to learn all the details of how Jenner came to be where he is in A Hard Death.

Dr. Edward Jenner, a criminal pathologist, has left New York and found temporary work in Florida while his mentor, Doc Roburn, i
Marie
In A Hard Death, Edward Jenner moves to Florida and works as a medical examiner after having his medical license suspended in New York, where a terrible incident has left his career and life in tatters. He needs a break but he's not about to find it here. First, he finds the bodies of his boss and the man's wife in a car, then a phone call leads to more bodies in the swamp. This forensic pathologist, turned medical examiner, must navigate new ground in order to solve these murders.

This was such
Elli
A Hard Death: A Novel, by Jonathan Hayes. It's a good book and well written, 3.5 stars actually. But it's just too, too much. Evil on top of evil, greed on top of greed and no rules to moderate methods which were pretty ghastly. The richest of the rich and totally depraved and his daughter and her daughter. A dog picked up, rescued from some real cruel ninnies led by their bad sorry excuse for a father, then part of a bombing by those involved in the "safe" illegal profit making. Another set of ...more
L.A.
Monday, April 4, 2011A Hard Death by Jonathan Hayes
Article first published as Book Review: A Hard Death by Jonathan Hayes on Blogcritics.

Helping an old friend in Florida after losing his job and reputation in New York gives Edward Jenner time and space to make decisions. Of course, it would have to be soon, money was running out. A forensic pathologist by trade, and brilliant in his field, he is in the area helping as a medical examiner.

Working second fiddle to his friend Doc Roburn his life i
Mysterytribune
Jonathan Hayes, a veteran forensic pathologist, has been a New York City medical examiner, performing autopsies and testifying in murder trials, since 1990. A former contributing editor at Martha Stewart Living, Hayes has written for the New York Times, GQ, and Food & Wine. A Hard Death is his latest novel, a sequel to Precious Blood.

A Brief Summary:

Forensic pathologist Edward Jenner, the main character of the forensic driven series by Hayes, is in a small-town coastal community in Florida n
Jaime
I didn’t read the first book in this series. Despite there obviously being a lot that happened, you get the gist of it through this book. Jenner took things into his own hands while in New York, and as a result he is now working in Florida, trying to lay low and just do his job. But when the man who hired him is found dead, just the first in a chain of strange events, laying low is no longer an option.

This isn’t a happy book. Hayes does a nice job of maintaining the noir feel, even when there is
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I didn't read the first book in this series. Even though there obviously was a lot that happened in the first book, you get the gist of it through this book. It seems that in the first book Jenner took things into his own hands while in New York and a policeman was killed, and as a result he is now working in Florida, trying to lay low and just do his job. But when the man ( another pathologist) who hired him is found dead, just the first in a chain of strange events, laying low is no longer an ...more
Ron S
Mostly genre by the numbers thriller set in Florida with a medical examiner protagonist. Graphic violence and scenes or gore galore. Saved somewhat by occasionally realistic characters that behave in unexpected, inconsistent ways, just as real people do.
Caroline Barker
After reading the first instalment of Jonathan Hayes' Edward Jenner character in Precious Blood I was very excited to read the sequel. At first, I must admit I found it more difficlut to really get into this one. However, I do think that it was largely due to the setting. New York does appear to be more of a dangerous, dark setting than sunny, holiday-like Miami.

It is a good novel and as it goes onit does get better and better and better. The story goes deeper, with references to the last book,
A.M.D. Hays
This is the first Jonathan Hayes novel I have read, but I can tell you now that it won't be the last. A Hard Death is brilliant, suspenseful, and a little grisly at times--but let's face it, the protagonist is a forensic pathologist so one should expect a little blood.

I couldn't stop turning the pages!! Highly recommended.
James Marinero
Another unputdownable book in my recent reading.

I learned a lot about the Everglades and even more about the work of a Medical Examiner. Hayes is an ME and it was interesting to learn from his notes that Patricia Cornwell was an advisor.

Plenty of action, twists and a bit of science thrown in. I already knew that cold cures could be used to make methamphetamine - a pharmacist told me that when I asked for a previously available OTC drug for sinus relief.

Anyway, plenty to keep you going here. Enti
Larry
Te trials of Dr. Edward Jenner, a former New York ME, now disgraced and displaced, continue in this second novel. Jenner is in Port Fontaine, FL, filling in for his friend and mentor as county ME. When that friend and his wife turn up dead and other bodies are found hanging in the Everglades, Jenner finds himself in the middle of what turns out to be a dark and deadly conspiracy, reaching into the upper levels of society. Along the way, his personal troubles return to plague him, and the result ...more
Dan Downing
Hayes sophomore effort almost stretches into 5 star territory. He certainly has the knack for keeping one turning the page, yet this is not a particularly violent or gory book. Not a Cozy by any means but not The Executioner, either.
We follow the career path of pathologist Edward Jenner, whom we met in Hayes' first book. Having had his way with wrenching events in NYC, Jenner is in Florida to attract mayhem and suspicion.
Peppered with some interesting characters and left with enough loose ends t
Oma
Much better than first book which wasn't so bad either! The plot was fast paced and kept my interest to the climatic end! Hope there will be a #3 in series.
Bibliophile
It can't be easy, being a criminal pathologist in exile in Florida. People drop dead like flies around Dr Jenner, unless they're busy trying to kill him. Or unless they're women, who prefer swooning. Jenner seems undaunted though, and efficiently uncovers drug cartels, performs autopsies, charms the ladies and even saves a mangy old dog from mean kids. I'm sure this is an excellent read for those who enjoy fast-paced crime fiction with a righteous hero and don't care much about credibility or ch ...more
Renee
Liked it for the writing and ME point of view . Story too easy . . .
Jennifer Jowsey
I had put off reading this because I knew it would be a hard read. Jonathan Hayes writes vivid realism, his settings, characters, and situations are very *real*, without sensationalism. While the murders were not explained in extreme graphic detail, the situations themselves were painted so well - again, real - that the brutality was disturbing.

I like the character of Jenner and would love to read more in this series.
Tim Garner
First time I have read a Jonathan Hayes book but now looking forward to more. A real action packed thriller story - very fast moving at the end and extremely gory but a great read
Chris Stanley
This book is brutal but real. Jonathan Hayes writes cleverly and the main character Dr Edward Jenner is so likeable flaws and all. You wonder how one person can have so much bad luck. I preferred Precious Blood and recommend that it is read first to understand Jenner's situation better but this still get a 5 star rating from me. More please.............
Grace
Jonathan Hayes brings back disgraced pathologist Edward Jenner in this brutally realistic south Florida thriller. Jenner tries to solve the grisly murder of his mentor, as the body count keeps rising. A likable hero and truly despicable villians, this one kept me reading long into the night!!
Janet
Total transparency alert: Hayes is a friend of mine. That said, I really loved this book! Jenner is a much more likeable character in this book, and Hayes paints the Florida landscape with steamy brilliance. Enjoy!
Deb Carlin
Enjoyed the storyline. Fast paced and addictive. Too many f-words for my taste...but that may be the way these folks talk. I like the main protagonist Dr. Jenner.nwill go back and read the 1 st novel.
Phyllis Wright
Once again, Jonathan Hayes surprises me. I really like Edward Jenner, his lead character. I also like the fact that his chapters aren't all that long, thus keeping my interest piqued! Thank you!
Jean
I think I liked this even more than the last Jenner story. There was one particular plot twist I did not see coming. Don't want to give any spoilers but this is a must read.
Jenny Macdonald
Drugs,sex,torture,murders and incest. What more could you want! Not a cerebral bone in it's body this is just a good adventure read. Just go along for the ride
Gatorman
This was a fantastic read, even better than Precious Blood. A meaty thriller with a compelling main character, flaws and all. Highly recommended!
  • King of Paine
  • Noise
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • Danse Macabre
  • Russian Hill (Abby Kane FBI Thriller, #3)
  • Far Shore
  • 3 Lies
  • Death Line (Rafferty and Llewellyn British Police Procedural Series, #3)
  • Black Throne Conspiracy
  • Dark Mind
  • Highway to Vengeance: A Thomas Highway Novel
  • The Undertaker
  • The Kult
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Mystical Circles
  • The Rainy Day Killer (Donaghue and Stainer Crime Novel #4)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • No Rest for the Wicca
British-born Jonathan Hayes is a senior forensic pathologist in New York City. He has lectured internationally in his field, and teaches at New York University School of Medicine; he is a Fellow of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A prolific and eclectic freelance writer, Hayes writes regularly for the New York Times, New York magazine, GQ, Food and Wine, Martha Stewart Living and many o ...more
More about Jonathan Hayes...

Dr. Edward Jenner (2 books)
  • Precious Blood
Precious Blood American Haiku Nippon: Drinking Sake and Staring at Fireflies in the August of Cicadas T(here) Brice Marden: Chinese Work