Start by marking “Ask Mr. Bear” as Want to Read:
Ask Mr. Bear

Ask Mr. Bear

Trying to find the perfect birthday present for his mother isn't easy for Danny. The hen offers eggs, the goose feathers and the sheep wool. But mother already has those things. Then the cow suggests that Danny go ask Mr. Bear. It's from him that Danny gets a special and unique gift for his mother.
Published August 1st 1971 by Aladdin (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Ask Mr. Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask Mr. Bear

LeAndra Simone
Nov 13, 2016 LeAndra Simone rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Not only for the colorful illustrations, but for the loving and caring that I found reading it. The story follows a little boy named Danny, trying to find the perfect present for his mom. As he goes around asking all of the different animals, they all offer things that his mother already has. They suggest that he go and see Mr. Bear, and it turns out that he has something that he can give his mother that only he can!! Such a wonderful story.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Nov 03, 2016 Taylor Kundel-Gower rated it liked it
I'm glad Danny decided on a big birthday bear hug instead of the other options!
Sarah Sammis
Aug 09, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc
Ask Mr. Bear is another of the old children's book I found last month. As with Mr. Pingle and Mr. Buttonhouse, I was drawn to the book for its illustrations. In this case, the author, Marjorie Flack also illustrated the book.

The book published during the Depression, follows a young boy on a quest for a birthday present for his mother. As with so many children's books, the boy goes from farm animal to farm animal asking advice from each. When each suggests a gift that they can give and that his
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
A young boy needs to find a birthday present for his mother. He meets lots of animals who offer to give him milk, cheese, wool to make a blanket, and many other things. His mother already has those things, so he finds Mr. Bear. Mr. Bear tells him to give his mother a big bear hug. The boy’s mother is very happy with her present.
The artwork is very clear and crisp, done in simple colors. The animals are all easily identifiable, and children will enjoy pointing to the animals and saying their nam
Thomas Frey
Sep 02, 2015 Thomas Frey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I feel that this is a good children's book because it teaches kids a positive lesson that they can always keep with them. The lesson that the kids would learn from this book is that people do not always need to receive actual gifts for presents and that sometimes the simple things are all that matter. I feel that the books text and illustrations compliment each other nicely. If you did not read the actual text in the book you can almost understand what is actually going on in the story which is ...more
David
Sep 17, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
Ask Mr. Bear is about a little boy who was hunting for a present. He asks all the animals and nothing seems right for a present until at last he meets Mr. Bear. It is fun to guess what Mr. Bear whispered to Danny, and of course the last picture shows. (Goodreads Summary)

Marjorie Flack's illustrations help carry this simple story about a boy looking for the perfect gift for his mother. The cumulative tale ends on the last page as readers discover that love is an wonderful gift, and that with lots
Shawn Thrasher
Mar 14, 2014 Shawn Thrasher rated it really liked it
This the perfect gift for a blue-eyed blonde boy to give his mother on her birthday. A little girl could do the same, if the person reading this aloud is willing to change "Danny" to "Danielle" and accept that "Danielle" has a golden pixie haircut (the boy is already wearing a pink shirt).

Why won't the animals go see Mr. Bear at the end with Danny? Why must he go alone? What kind of friends are those, to send Danny alone into the bear's den? They obviously know something he doesn't know, yet wi
Craig
Jun 17, 2014 Craig rated it it was ok
I did not particularly enjoy this book.

It does a nice job of using repetitive language. Little Danny asks the same question to a series of animals and the animals tend to answer the same way each time. Unfortunately though, nobody talks in real life the way the animals talk. If somebody approached me and asked to give them something unsolicited, and then refused what I offered, I would not feel like helping them find somebody else that might help them. I also really do not understand why everybo
Eva Leger
Jun 01, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This is another that I wish I'd have had around when Julia was younger. It's not the most exceptional book we've ever read but like most everyone else here has said, it is a cute story and it is worth reading.
The basic story is somewhat overdone in childrens books but this was published in 1932, I think, so we can assume it wasn't so overdone at the time.
Julia's starting to get into older books which makes me very happy. She used to shy away from them if they "looked" older but lately she's be
Joy
Aug 02, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
An oldie but goodie for storytimes (themes include farm animals, animal sounds, bears). It's a simple cumulative tale. The drawings are definitely a product of their particular era in printing; that's a pro and a con. I like the gentleness, but imagine some readers might find it dull or off-putting. Easily adapted to flannelboard storytelling.
Tyrone Hardy
Apr 10, 2013 Tyrone Hardy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-to-literacy
This story was very funny, and teaches several lessons. Children can count the number of animals that didn't want to go talk to Mr. Bear. However, at the end of the day Mr. Bear gave wonderful advice to the little boy in the story about what to get his mother for her birthday, and he didn't eat the little boy as the other animals thought he would.
Vivian
Oct 09, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This little story about a boy searching for the perfect gift for his mother has stood the test of time -- and for good reason! It's cumulative, it's predictable (with a bit of a surprise at the end), and it's about familiar farm animals who can talk!
Tricia
Jan 12, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
is it okay to say classic when it's published orig in 1932? what does it say about today's books that when the boy met the bear at the end, my girls thought he would be EATEN!? sheesh. the ending is much sweeter than that.
Sheri
Jul 31, 2014 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was read to me a lot when I was a child and I remember it as part if my families book collection. I love the vivid illustration and remember them so well. My rating is biased based on the strong emotional connection I have to this book and how I associate it with many happy childhood memories.
Logan
Jun 14, 2009 Logan rated it liked it
I think Logan would have loved this book about a year ago, when he was 3 or 4, but he's a bit too old for it now. Too repetitive and not enough going on. It's a lovely book though and I always love Flack's drawings.
Heloyce
Jun 01, 2011 Heloyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
An old fashioned-picture book that has been around for many years but still resonates with a wonderful, gentle story of a little boy trying to find just the right birthday present for his mother. A classic.
Robin
Apr 20, 2015 Robin rated it liked it
Enjoyed this more than I had anticipated. The cumulative story has a nice twist towards the end. The illustrations are evocative of the ones from my elementary school readers and I was not charmed by them at all.
Professor
Apr 19, 2016 Professor rated it really liked it
Cute older book that models giving gifts to loved ones on their birthdays, gives an opportunity for a big hug at the end and models good manners, as well as plenty of time to learn animal names and noises. MicroMort really liked it.
Jennifer (sullivan)
Apr 30, 2011 Jennifer (sullivan) rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture/Fiction

I really enjoyed this book and I thnk most young boys and girls will enjoy it too. The ending is cute when he talks to the bear in the woods and the bear talks to him to give her a bear hug.
Tina
Jul 26, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great preschool read aloud book. It introduces animal sounds and the concepts of what they give. It's repetitive so it allows the child to predict what will happen next. Plus, I really like the overall story. It's warm and fuzzy. :)
Jennifer Foeller
I always love vintage illustrations, so of course I liked the illustrations in this one. It follows a small boy trying to find a gift for his mother as he asks various animals for help. Wording wasn't as much fun as some modern picture books, but, it was still a cute book.
Ara
Feb 06, 2013 Ara rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this when I was a kid...
A very heart-warming book.. it just makes you want to give some one a nice warm cozy bear hug~!
Katie Beck
This is a very cute book. This is a good book to read to children to get them to use their imagination and to teach them that when giving gifts it is the thought that counts.
Leah
Great book featuring farm animals (and a bear) with a heart-warming ending and awesome vintage illustrations = WIN!
Kristy
Feb 10, 2014 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Simple, cute book about getting a gift for mother. This small child needs help from a variety of animals and ends with a good idea from Mr. Bear. For a very young child. I love the illustrations.
Brandi
Jan 25, 2014 Brandi rated it it was ok
In this classic, slightly stale picture book a little boy asks various animals for the perfect present for his mom.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
Sweet story. It has good repetition, but it got a little old for me after 5 iterations--although I'm sure kids don't mind!
Ptaylor
Ptaylor rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Leora
Leora rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
  • If Jesus Came to My House
  • The Big Green Pocketbook
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Play with Me
  • The Little Rabbit
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • Papa Piccolo
  • The Rag Coat
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • A Pair of Red Clogs