Start by marking “Teaching Hope: Stories from the Freedom Writer Teachers and Erin Gruwell” as Want to Read:
Teaching Hope: Stories from the Freedom Writer Teachers and Erin Gruwell

Teaching Hope: Stories from the Freedom Writer Teachers and Erin Gruwell

“There are lives lost in this book, and there are lives saved, too, if salvation means a young man or woman begins to feel deserving of a place on the planet. . . . What could be more soul-satisfying? These are the most influential professionals most of us will ever meet. The effects of their work will last forever.”  –from the foreword by Anna Quindlen

Now depicted in a be
Published August 18th 2009 by Broadway Books (first published August 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Hope

Sarahmcwax
A former colleague of mine wrote pieces of this book. We graduated from Michigan State's College of Education together, and were great friends for a while. We're not anymore; we lost touch, and I'm not that broken up about it. She was always quite the drama queen - even in college and through grad school and student teaching experiences. Tears abounded, scenes were made, she stormed out of the classroom at least twice. I read this book because she had made news headlines with her choice to teach ...more
Joni
Apr 19, 2010 Joni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 6a
Now depicted in a bestselling book and a feature film, the Freedom Writers phenomenon came about in 1994 when Erin Gruwell stepped into Room 203 and began her first teaching job out of college. Long Beach, California, was still reeling from the deadly violence that erupted during the Rodney King riots, and the kids in Erin’s classroom reflected the anger, resentment, and hopelessness of their community.

Undaunted, Erin fostered an educational philosophy that valued and promoted diversity, tolera
John Cornelius
May 18, 2017 John Cornelius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This book reads like The Freedom Writer's Diary. Instead of one hundred and fifty entries from students inspired by one teacher, you are reading one hundred and fifty entries from teachers who incorporate the methods of one teacher into their own classrooms. You read entries of teachers from elementary school to college professors, from general classroom to special education to at-risk to juvenile detention teachers.

I enjoyed this book as much as the other. Would recommend this to anyone. If yo
Kristi
Oct 23, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
So much effort and dedication has gone into the making of this book. Each short two-page-or-so story is inspiring, thought provoking, and sometimes shockingly sad and astounding. Knowledge and wisdom are gifted to the reader as each Freedom Writer teacher in this book openly shares their own experiences in the classroom.

We all know teachers are trained to teach the basics, the required lessons and material, and the goods needed to raise the API scores. That is a momentous job alone.

But it is he
Megan
Sep 18, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The whole time it captured my attention. The stories felt so real I shared laughs and cries as I read through the pages. Some pages are stained with tears, but it has helped me learn so much and allowed me the opportunity to connect with other educators. Great book for the teacher in all of us. If you want to know what it is like to be a caring, compassionate, and competent teacher read this. If you are doubting what teachers do this is your wake up call to see how ha ...more
Kaarina
Oct 30, 2012 Kaarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous evidence how a truly great teacher can literally change the lives of her students. Reading the candid, unfiltered thoughts of students in this program from start to finish was inspirational. Catching a glimpse of their personal war-torn lives in a non-war-zone was eye-opening. That such relatively little things (belief in the students' worth from a person who didn't abandon them and the generosity of people who started off in similar situations) was also inspiring. The little things d ...more
Erica
Sep 30, 2009 Erica is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I gave Homeboyz to Nikki so I'm not reading that anymore. This book is the third that a teacher named Erin Gruwell wrote about her journey teaching inner city students. Most of the books that I put on this page are books that you would enjoy reading. This book only I or another teacher would enjoy reading. This teacher is an inspiration to me even more than Oprah because of her love and dedication for teaching. Maybe later this year we'll read a story that you can appreciate by her past students ...more
Kara
Jan 24, 2010 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
on the one hand I appreciate reading about the commitment that the contributors to this volume make to their students; on the other hand, i'm uncomfortable with the philosophy of teaching that it is solely up to near-impossible individual perserverance of students to improve their lives. education shouldn't just be a ladder out of historically impoverished and marginalized neighborhoods--it should encourage students to analyze and challenge the circumstances that make them places they'd want to ...more
Sara  Liebman
So there was a story in Teaching Hope... toward the end which described a trip a teacher took with some students to the mayor's office and how the students wanted their voices heard. BUT the teacher had also called reporters to come witness the event. I believe that this, in a nutshell, is my problem with the book. Teacher go above and beyond, and some are very sincere. But some also do it in a self-serving way like the above mentioned teacher.
Feb 01, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those familiar with Erin Gruwell's The Freedom Writer's Diary will recognize the format and themes presented in this book. However, rather than entries from students these stories come from teachers who have used Freedom Writer's methods with success in their classrooms. Although many of the educators are inspiring it does seem to focus on the extreme hard cases, perhaps leaning a bit too much towards the shock factor.
Jaime
Jun 25, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very inspirational. As an early-career teacher, I really appreciated the stories of struggle and disapointment as much as I appreciated the stories of over-coming the odds. The teachers in these stories are amazing and I hope I can take just a bit of of the passion they have for their students and keep it with me
Pauline
Aug 22, 2010 Pauline rated it really liked it
I used to teach Freedom Writers in my Adolescent Literacy course and I've since replaced it with this volume. My students and I read the stories contained here and analyze the themes presented. Some of the stories are heart-breaking, while others bring a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart. I am so thrilled to share this with my students and they really seem to like it as well.
Urban Teacher
Aug 05, 2011 Urban Teacher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so biased since my friends and I wrote this, but even if that were not the case, I really think every future and current teacher should read this. This is what the classroom looks like. We are not numbers, graphs, or charts; we are people--people who are fractured--who need hope, not mandates.
April
As an educator, I identified with many of the experiences teachers shared in Teaching Hope. Perhaps, the "teacher bashers" will recognize how educating a child requires a partnership among teachers, parents, students, and the community at large.
Karen
May 17, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed by this book. I've read two previous books about Erin Gruwell and the Freedom Writers and I was really hoping that this would be a book full of practical information. I really didn't find anything new that I felt I could use in my classroom.
Erin McDonnell-Jones
This was a compilation of short essays from teachers that participated in the Freedom Writers Teacher academy. They're divided thematically, and tell the true stories of being a teacher, in a very quick, superficial overview. It's a quick, easy read.
Elisa
Feb 27, 2010 Elisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certain parts just seemed to say that when a teacher shares a personal horror story the entire class would open up and write about/talk about their problems, but the later half of the book was amazing - truly inspiring!
Michelle Hillstrom
Another fantastic book that all future teachers must read!
Lea
Sep 13, 2009 Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the stories were awesome, but some parts dragged on. It's keeping me motivated.
Tony Bradshaw
Jul 24, 2013 Tony Bradshaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
Becky
Apr 27, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More stories taken from around the nation who practice the Freedom Writers. Shows a lot about the types of lives students come from.
Diana
depressing. I would NEVER share my history with ALL of my students like some of these teachers. Its just bad practice!!
Erin
Jan 17, 2010 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as good as the other "Freedom Writers" books I've read, but still interesting. I wish there were fewer stories and each story had more details.
Lynn
May 28, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Ok, a little hard to get into bc the essays were brief, but the stories they're telling and the work they're doing is good.
Liz Mundo
Sep 01, 2013 Liz Mundo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart-tugging, tear-jerking, insightful, amusing and moving. A great read for anyone in education.
Candi
Candi rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2010
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2009
Grace Sunflower
Grace Sunflower rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Luis Martinez
Luis Martinez rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
  • Kids in the Syndrome Mix
  • Like Sound Through Water: A Mother's Journey Through Auditory Processing Disorder
  • Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing  Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Raising Your Distracted Child
  • "You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series )
  • Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students
  • One Teacher in 10: LGBT Educators Share Their Stories
  • Letters to a Young Teacher
  • Homeschooling: A Family's Journey
  • Raising the Curve: A Year Inside One of America's 45,000* Failing Public Schools
  • Holler If You Hear Me: The Education of a Teacher and His Students
  • Lighting Their Fires: Raising Extraordinary Children in a Mixed-up, Muddled-up, Shook-up World
  • Teaching English by Design: How to Create and Carry Out Instructional Units
  • Critical Encounters in High School English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents
  • The Essential Don Murray: Lessons from America's Greatest Writing Teacher
  • Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness: A Guide for Anyone Who Teaches Anything