Start by marking “Dark Matters” as Want to Read:
Dark Matters

Dark Matters

A collection of dark poetry by one of the industry's finest craftsman. Beautifully illustrated by Daniele Serra.

Whether he's writing about an errant siren, a grimoire, a vulture, or the apocalyptic implosion of our way of life, Boston does it with stunning and unexpected complexity. There is a sense of completeness to his poems, a sense that he has turned the thing around
Paperback, First, 96 pages
Published July 15th 2010 by Bad Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Matters

Christopher Conlon
Jun 18, 2012 Christopher Conlon rated it it was amazing
If you’re anything like me, the phrase “horror poetry” sends shivers down your spine—for all the wrong reasons. While Gothic verse certainly has a great tradition stretching back hundreds of years, modern-day poetry published within the horror genre is mostly abysmal—“poets” who clearly have little knowledge of poetry beyond, say, Edgar Allan Poe, and “poetry” which owes more to Stephen King than any actual verse published in the past hundred years.

Happily, there are exceptions. Among them none
Paul Jr.
Oct 01, 2010 Paul Jr. rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I don't know much about poetry, but I found Dark Matters to be an excellent collection of the macabre with evocative and disquieting imagery.
R.L. Martinez
Jan 14, 2014 R.L. Martinez rated it liked it
A rich collection of poetry, Dark Matters moves from contemplative to personal to fantastical and back with startling clarity and grace.

Poems such as “Conflicted as a Warrior Poet,” explicitly examine the many contradictions of being human and how we attempt to balance our hurtful experiences with our sense of hope.

Mr. Boston also calls on the voices of past poets. Wallace Stevens and his “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird” are celebrated in Boston’s “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Vultur
Charles
Jul 21, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, friendsbooks
The scarified man
is incised and burnt
with the inscriptions
of a lifetime.

Thus begins the poem, “The Scarified Man,” and Bruce Boston’s latest poetry collection, Dark Matters, 2010, from Bad Moon Books. Every poem and line that follows hits just the right note. But that’s nothing new for Bruce Boston, who has been turning out poetry written in all the right notes for many years now. There are over 80 pages of poems and several truly outstanding illustrations from artist Daniele Serra in the collec
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Nov 11, 2011 Byron 'Giggsy' Paul rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of SF, horror, dark fantasy, even those not liking poetry
Boston's words put your senses on alert as he takes your imagination places it hasn't visited (or is afraid to visit). You will have improved dreams (nightmares?) after reading this.
Linda McFerrin
Nov 29, 2010 Linda McFerrin rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, in every sense of the word. I read it on a plane and it was the better ride.
Monster
Oct 19, 2010 Monster added it
Shelves: poetry
Dark Matters is a short collection of dark poetry by Bruce Boston, accompanied by beautiful illustrations by Daniele Serra.

Boston’s structure is often simplistic in form, but extremely complex in content. The descriptive nature of his writing creates incredible visuals that easily change every time a poem is read and reread depending on the outside environment and mindset of the reader.

In Dark Matters, Boston explores what the world would be like if ruled by rats, or moles, or even assassins.
Joshua Gage
Aug 12, 2014 Joshua Gage rated it liked it
For those who have not read a collection of Bruce Boston's, now is the time to begin, and Dark Matters is an excellent place to start. For fans of Boston's previous work, Dark Matters continues his legacy of solid writing and will not disappoint. It is a spooky and chilling collection ready to shiver its way down the spine of readers, leaving only its tracks to haunt their dreams. Full review here: http://shroudmagazinebookreviews.blog...
Tiffany
Nov 10, 2012 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry

This collection of dark poetry was not really what I expected. I wanted either something grotesque and vivid or emotionally evocative. This didn't quite happen. However, I appreciated the variety in the poems and the interesting themes. I was disappointed, but there were still some good poems in here.
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Wesley
Wesley rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Bill Trumpler
Bill Trumpler rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Jeffrey Wilson
Jeffrey Wilson rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Marge Simon
Marge Simon rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2011
Alessandro Manzetti
Alessandro Manzetti rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Annie Neugebauer
Annie Neugebauer rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Kristine Muslim
Kristine Muslim rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2011
David C
David C rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Benjamin Ethridge
Benjamin Ethridge rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2011
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
G.O. Clark
G.O. Clark rated it really liked it
May 10, 2011
Gary Crawford
Gary Crawford rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2011
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Rory Tam
Rory Tam marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2010
Bunny
Bunny added it
Jun 19, 2011
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2011
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2011
Bruce
Dec 09, 2011 Bruce added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2011
Dima
Dima marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2012
Blaise
Blaise marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2012
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2012
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
May 12, 2012
Robert Brodmerkel
Robert Brodmerkel marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
K. Jones
K. Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2012
Mme RX
Mme RX marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Velocity
Velocity marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Sahil Raghav
Sahil Raghav marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Princessjay
Princessjay is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2013
Terrie Leigh Relf
Terrie Leigh Relf marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Arne Treholt
Arne Treholt marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
I've published fifty books and chapbooks, including the novels Stained Glass Rain and the best-of fiction collection Masque of Dreams. My work ranges from broad humor to literary surrealism, with many stops along the way for science fiction, fantasy, and horror. My novel The Guardener's Tale (Sam's Dot, 2007) was a Bram Stoker Award Finailist and a Prometheus Award Nominee. My stories and poems ha ...more
More about Bruce Boston...