Start by marking “Dark Matters” as Want to Read:
Dark Matters

Dark Matters

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A collection of dark poetry by one of the industry's finest craftsman. Beautifully illustrated by Daniele Serra.

Whether he's writing about an errant siren, a grimoire, a vulture, or the apocalyptic implosion of our way of life, Boston does it with stunning and unexpected complexity. There is a sense of completeness to his poems, a sense that he has turned the thing around
Paperback, First, 96 pages
Published July 15th 2010 by Bad Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Matters

Misery by Stephen KingAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanSwan Song by Robert McCammonThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisBoy's Life by Robert McCammon
Bram Stoker Award Winners
50th out of 53 books — 93 voters
Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertRemembrance by Michelle MadowComing Home by Sarah R. Yoffa
Must Buy Smashwords Books
390th out of 458 books — 447 voters

More lists with this book...

Christopher Conlon
If you’re anything like me, the phrase “horror poetry” sends shivers down your spine—for all the wrong reasons. While Gothic verse certainly has a great tradition stretching back hundreds of years, modern-day poetry published within the horror genre is mostly abysmal—“poets” who clearly have little knowledge of poetry beyond, say, Edgar Allan Poe, and “poetry” which owes more to Stephen King than any actual verse published in the past hundred years.

Happily, there are exceptions. Among them none
Paul Jr.
I don't know much about poetry, but I found Dark Matters to be an excellent collection of the macabre with evocative and disquieting imagery.
Robin Martinez
A rich collection of poetry, Dark Matters moves from contemplative to personal to fantastical and back with startling clarity and grace.

Poems such as “Conflicted as a Warrior Poet,” explicitly examine the many contradictions of being human and how we attempt to balance our hurtful experiences with our sense of hope.

Mr. Boston also calls on the voices of past poets. Wallace Stevens and his “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird” are celebrated in Boston’s “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Vultur
thisncondition
Dark Matters is a short collection of dark poetry by Bruce Boston, accompanied by a few beautiful illustrations by Daniele Serra. Boston’s structure is often simplistic in form, but extremely complex in content. The descriptive nature of his writing creates incredible visuals that easily change every time a poem is read and reread depending on the outside atmosphere and demeanor of the reader.

In Dark Matters, Boston reveals what the world would be like if ruled by rats, or moles for that matter.
Charles
The scarified man
is incised and burnt
with the inscriptions
of a lifetime.

Thus begins the poem, “The Scarified Man,” and Bruce Boston’s latest poetry collection, Dark Matters, 2010, from Bad Moon Books. Every poem and line that follows hits just the right note. But that’s nothing new for Bruce Boston, who has been turning out poetry written in all the right notes for many years now. There are over 80 pages of poems and several truly outstanding illustrations from artist Daniele Serra in the collec
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Dec 05, 2011 Byron 'Giggsy' Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of SF, horror, dark fantasy, even those not liking poetry
Boston's words put your senses on alert as he takes your imagination places it hasn't visited (or is afraid to visit). You will have improved dreams (nightmares?) after reading this.
Linda McFerrin
Fantastic, in every sense of the word. I read it on a plane and it was the better ride.
Monster
Oct 19, 2010 Monster added it
Shelves: poetry
Dark Matters is a short collection of dark poetry by Bruce Boston, accompanied by beautiful illustrations by Daniele Serra.

Boston’s structure is often simplistic in form, but extremely complex in content. The descriptive nature of his writing creates incredible visuals that easily change every time a poem is read and reread depending on the outside environment and mindset of the reader.

In Dark Matters, Boston explores what the world would be like if ruled by rats, or moles, or even assassins.
Joshua Gage
For those who have not read a collection of Bruce Boston's, now is the time to begin, and Dark Matters is an excellent place to start. For fans of Boston's previous work, Dark Matters continues his legacy of solid writing and will not disappoint. It is a spooky and chilling collection ready to shiver its way down the spine of readers, leaving only its tracks to haunt their dreams. Full review here: http://shroudmagazinebookreviews.blog...
Tiffany

This collection of dark poetry was not really what I expected. I wanted either something grotesque and vivid or emotionally evocative. This didn't quite happen. However, I appreciated the variety in the poems and the interesting themes. I was disappointed, but there were still some good poems in here.
Yvonne Williams
Yvonne Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Adele
Adele marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Skylar Garland
Skylar Garland marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Koda
Koda marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Emilio Amaro
Emilio Amaro marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Bugz
Bugz added it
Jan 25, 2014
Rayleen Watson
Rayleen Watson marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Deirdre Dore
Deirdre Dore marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Yara Hossam
Yara Hossam marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Aimee Browne
Aimee Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Daniel Hale
Daniel Hale marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I've published fifty books and chapbooks, including the novels Stained Glass Rain and the best-of fiction collection Masque of Dreams. My work ranges from broad humor to literary surrealism, with many stops along the way for science fiction, fantasy, and horror. My novel The Guardener's Tale (Sam's Dot, 2007) was a Bram Stoker Award Finailist and a Prometheus Award Nominee. My stories and poems ha ...more
More about Bruce Boston...
The Guardener's Tale Stained Glass Rain Surrealities The Nightmare Collection Dark Roads: Selected Long Poems 1971-2012