Start by marking “The Basilisk's Lair” as Want to Read:
The Basilisk's Lair

The Basilisk's Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Nate Fludd, Beastologist, is back in the camel saddle in hot pursuit of a missing, deadly Basilisk—the King of Serpents. As if saving an entire Dhughani village from the Basilisk’s poisonous gaze isn’t difficult enough, Nate and Aunt Phil must begin to piece together the mystery of his parents’ disappearance and protect the lone copy of the Fludd Book of Beasts from a sini ...more
Published June 7th 2010 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Basilisk's Lair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Basilisk's Lair

This, Book II, is another fun adventure in the life of Nathaniel Fludd. This book picks up almost immediately after the end of the last book, and sends Nathaniel through the Sahara to small village in the hills in order to track down an escaped Basilisk.

I still love the characters and the details about the creatures Nathaniel encounters. The bond here between Nathaniel and Greasle grows, and Aunt Phil is in the book quite a bit more, too.

I'm afraid this book didn't contain quite the same charm a
An Odd1
September 1928. Nate accompanies intrepid Aunt Phil, insists on keeping small gremlin Greasle, named for her oil hunger. Phil pilots to Sudan West Africa, Cairo for fuel, then Bamako, on camel to remote village where basilisk escaped, now leaves trail of venom destruction heading to Niger River, where poison would spread far by water.

Here weasels tease and distract monster, part of Nate's plan to conquer. Conveniently, Nate remembers what he needs from The Book of Beasts. After "droplets of poi
Nate is a fun character. He has weaknesses, he's not real sure of his abilities, but when the chips are down you can count on him to pull through. He has a pet gremlin named Greasle, who has an attitude. The story is fast paced and descriptive. The drawings are fun. They look like pen and ink drawings and add to the adventure of the story. I really like the bones that mark the beginning of each chapter, they increase as you read! For those of us that need one, there is also a glossary to explain ...more
Robyn Hawk
This is book two of the continuing saga of Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist!

You may remember from the first book Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, Book I) Nathaniel Fludd is a beastologist in training - learning at the hands of his quirky Aunt Phil. Unfortunately it appears that the first book was not a fluke and it looks like Aunt Phil favors the "learn by doing" method. So in book two The Basilisk's Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, Book 2) she drags the young boy beastolog
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for

After saving the Phoenix from extinction, ten-year-old Nate continues his adventures with his Aunt Phil. This time they're headed to Africa to investigate the escape of a basilisk. Nate is supposed to "watch and learn" as his aunt deals with this dangerous and deadly beast that can kill with just a look.

Unfortunately, things tend to go wrong when Nate and his best friend, Greasle (a gremlin), are around. Things won't be easy, especially when it seem
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Nate can't believe it... they're lost. And it's all his fault. Aunt Phil relied on him to get them back to the plane with the compass she entrusted to him and he goes and gets them lost. But his navigation lessons are cut short by a band of men on the horizon. There is a telegram for Aunt Phil from Bamanko. The Basilisk has escaped! They are on the move again, but Nate feels not just the hesitation steaming from the fact he feels incompetent, but from the fact that the Basilisk, unlike the Phoen ...more
Nate Fludd, Beastologist in training, has just barely recovered from his adventure protecting the Phoenix egg and rescuing Aunt Phil from the Bedouin when adventure once again comes knocking while Nate is struggling with his (lacking) navigation skills. A basilisk, the King of the Serpents, is loose and must be contained before he destroys a Dhughani village and poisons the entire region's water supply.

Nate would much rather return to London with his new pet/friend Greasle the Gremlin than trek
This is the second book in the Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist series. Overall I enjoyed it, although it is a pretty short book meant for younger readers.

Right on the heels of his first adventure with the Phoenix, Nathaniel is spirited away by his Aunt to help capture a Basilisk that has gone astray.

This book is very short, would probably take an adult 20-30 minutes to read, but is very readable and enjoyable. There are nice pictures throughout so children just starting chapter books would be a go
Charlyn  Trussell
I really like this series because it is just right for those children who really, really want to read a fantasy but just can't take on the challenge of a book that's three inches thick. Nathaniel Fludd is an apprentice beastologist, a position he has not gotten because of desire for the job. No, Nathaniel's parents are gone and Aunt Phil, herself a beastologist, has taken on rearing and training Nathaniel to take on the familial responsibility. Now he finds himself reluctantly accompanying Aunt ...more
After saving a phoenix egg, Nathaniel Fludd is off on another adventure to see a basilisk. Unfortunately, Nate looks in his aunt's Book of Beasts and learns that a basilisk is extremely dangerous. He tries to suggest that he should stay behind, but Aunt Phil will have none of that.

This seems to be a good series for boys who've maybe grown out of the Magic Tree House or who liked the Secrets of Droon series. I picked it up for my 8 year old daughter who enjoyed the Magic Tree House books, but is
Another very quick read. I'm enjoying Nate's development as an unwilling protagonist and I'm proud of him for stepping up when he needs to.Happy to continue with these, and glad they're heading back to England next to start untangling the overarching mystery.
Apparently I must really need to read the first one and then give this one another shot. It averages four stars? Don't get me wrong. I love the author. Theodosia is one of my favorite characters.

I just couldn't help feeling that a lot of the story was sacrificed for brevity in a way that left me wanting. I don't necessarily think that is the way to make a fantasy story for a middle reader. Could I have done any better? No. I do know that. I just know I left this one wanting ... and the story pre
Onanamiable Jeers
this is the second book of the nathaniel fludd series and much more enjoyable to read. I like that in this book a character development is on the roll as well as the beginning of a strong relationship between aunt and nephew.
A good children's adventure book especially If they like mythical creatures. Also love Nathaniel slowly becomes confident of himself. :)
Daniel loved this series! He chose reading these books over all of his activities - homework, basketball, video games, sleep, etc.
This series is wonderful! (LOVERS OF MYTHICAL CREATURES, GO AND SUPPORT THIS SERIES!) I really REALLY like this story about a basilisk, it was actually pretty scary for a kids book! When (view spoiler) my jaw literally dropped and my mind screamed, "THIS IS NOT THE WAY A CHILDREN'S BOOK SHOULD END!" Well, I knew it wouldn't REALLY end that way, but still. It certainly caught me by surprise, and I loved every moment of it.

This story is very,
This is a great series, especially for elementary boys. I am quite enjoying this series myself.
Another fun book in the Nate Fludd series and a perfect bedtime story for my children.
Another adventure of beastologist, Nathaniel Fludd!

Right after the saving the pheonix, aunt phill found out the basilisk, king of serpent, is missing! Of course as beastologist, they have to save it. What's more they have to save the Dhugani village from it. Basilisk as we all know is deadly.

In case you are wondering, this is what a basilisk look like

It look like part snake part cockerel which it exactly is.
Quick read for kids who like the Suzanne Selfors Imaginary veterinary series.
Meh. Still missing something. Maybe it's just written for too young an audience to really appeal to me? YMMV.
read to my boys.. they loved it. simple and quick
The kids and I really enjoyed this second book in the series and can't wait for the third! We hope she writes a lot more. But we sure don't like the waiting in between. I guess that's why it can be better to read a series that is already written, instead of one that is a work in progress!

Samantha was trying to explain to Mikey the other night how I won an Advanced Readers Copy from the author. She told him, "Guess what? We get to read it before everyone else! It isn't even for sale yet!" He tur
Colten Hibbs
These books are such great fun to read. Straightforward adventure without trying so hard to be complicated and overwrought as many middle-grade fantasies do nowadays. The characters are loveable (Greasle is one of my all time favorite sidekicks - in my head she sounds like Eliza Doolittle). these books are perfect for a quick read while you sit on the patio, your favorite shady spot in the backyard, your your comfortable reading chair. Perfect adventure without taking hardly more than an hour ou ...more
Emmet O'Neal Library- Children's Department
This sequel to the Beastologist series does not disappoint. In this story, Nathaniel is on the hunt for a basilik. Nathaniel once again finds himself in an excited world that blends monsters and mythology while showcasing the beauty of exotic places around the globe. This book is a great new chapter book for readers that are looking for an exciting adventure. Any fledgling fantasy readers will enjoy. Recommended for young elementary readers and anyone just starting to read chapter books.
I read first book in this series of chapter books awhile back and so when I saw it at the library decided to check out the second book. This one continues the theme and style of the series: new mythological beast presents new challenge; Nathaniel is not sure he is up to it; but in the end he finds a way.

Cute and well packaged series but not enough suspense of imagination for me to continue to read but recommended for age appropriate readers. (Grade 3–5)
Nathaniel Fludd is turning out to be a Beastologist that honors his family lineage. In this adventure Nate, Aunt Phil and his small gremlin friend Greasle travel to Niger to return a rare basilisk back to his/her lair. Dangerous beast these creatures are, but no match for Nathaniel Fludd. Sadly this book brought the reader no closer to find out the questions that were left in book one... holding hopes that book three has answers as well as adventures.
Another quick and compelling read about Nate Fludd. This time, his adventures take him to save an entire Dhughani village from a Basilisk. His gremlin friend, Greasle, makes herself useful once again. The main protagonists of Nate, Greasle, and Aunt Phil are endearing...and the mystery behind the disappearance of Nate's parents keep the series going. I can definitely see my youngest children reading these books and being delighted with them.
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • Return to the Hundred Acre Wood
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS ...more
More about R.L. LaFevers...

Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist (4 books)
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)
Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos (Theodosia Throckmorton, #1) Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2) The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1) Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3) Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)