Start by marking “The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)

The Moon in The Water (Heron #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
An historical saga set during the English Civil War and telling the story of two star-crossed lovers.

This is the first of Pamela's civil war series. Pamela did extensive research into her writings to give an accurate portrayal of life in 17th century England during the civil war. Her fictional family, the Herons, live in Suffolk England in 'Goldhayes' manor. The family is
Paperback
Published December 1st 1985 by Berkley (first published July 8th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon in The Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon in The Water

Misfit
Aug 17, 2009 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Misfit by: CLM
"A marriage of true minds....but so many impediments". Left orphaned (but wealthy) at age ten with her wardship sold to her cousin Simon Heron, Thomazine joins her cousins at the family's estate, Goldhayes. Although she loves all of Simon's children, third son Francis has a special place in her heart and they form an unbreakable bond while children that only intensifies when Francis returns from college. The elder Simon dies and the estate and Thomazine's wardship is now run by Francis' elder an ...more
CLM
Feb 07, 2009 CLM rated it really liked it
Thomazine was born heiress to the lands and fortune of the Heron dynasty, and she was born under a dark and troublesome star ...

Orphaned at ten years old, growing to womanhood in a family of cousins, these were the young years when she met the headstrong Francis, the years when they both dreamed of the mystic uniform ...

But the sweep of the times was against them. Francis was banished and imprisoned. Thomazine forced into black and loveless wedlock, and the onrush of beating drums and naked stee
Helen
Apr 16, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a joy to discover this book and to know that I have many more Pamela Belle books still to look forward to! The Moon in the Water is the first of her Heron series, following the story of Thomazine Heron and her family, and is set during the English Civil War.

When Thomazine, our narrator, is orphaned at the age of ten, her father’s cousin, Sir Simon Heron, becomes her guardian. Arriving at Sir Simon’s estate of Goldhayes in Suffolk, Thomazine settles into her new life and gets to know the o
Echo
Feb 01, 2012 Echo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction
I stumbled across this book by accident when I was younger. It was actually in a pile of garage sale stuff I was marking, and by some fortunate mistake, I got really bored and started to read it. And then I was hooked and couldn't put it down. It's the story of a young girl who is sent to live with her cousins, and the book follows her through a romance with her cousin and the trials the family faces during the English civil war. Belle really makes the history come alive with a fascinating story ...more
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
I think part of the problem was that the main character was a little girl for too long. I lost interest in her voice, which didn't seem to develop as (slowly) she aged. Having her as the narrator only exacerbated the problem. By the time she and her "true love" confessed their feelings towards each other (which we foresaw like 150 pages ago), the scene was so unconvincing, and the outcome so predictable, I'd had enough.

Decided not to finish it. It doesn't take me long to identify a three-star bo
Kelly
Aug 31, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Is this historical fiction, or historical romance? The heart of the story is the love story of Thomazine and Francis. Thomazine Heron is a orpahn who goes to live with her cousins at Goldhayes. She becomes best friends with Lucy and a co-conspiritor with the rebellious Francis. Francis is sent away, and when he comes back they fall in love. This book is set against the English Civil War and is one of my favorites.

I know Constance won't give it 5 stars because she feels Belle's Francis is a poor
Dec 29, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite romance novels. I'm on my second copy of this novel and it is in pretty bad condition at this point. In a lot of respects Moon In The Water is a fairly predictable family saga featuring an orphaned heiress who falls in love with the most unsuitable of her cousins after she becomes a member of the household. A lot of romance novel conventions are piled on, but it never becomes tedious. There are two more novels in this sequence and some of the over-the-top manufactured conflict ...more
KJ
Mar 03, 2012 KJ rated it liked it
A good if sometimes predictable family/historical romance, set against the backdrop of the English Civil War. Some really fantastic characters, some truly heart-wrenching moments; the protagonist is young and privileged and it shows, but you end up rooting for her anyway. A serious cliffhanger ending, so now I'm looking forward to the next.
Stacy Bennett
Sep 02, 2013 Stacy Bennett rated it it was amazing
Read this as a younger woman and remember loving it! Reread it this week and sure enough I still enjoyed it. Never thought of myself as a historical kinda gal. Now on to Chains of Fate, the sequel.
Karen
Jun 23, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Pamela Belle is probably my favourite writer of all time and this book is probably my favourite read of all time.

Disclaimer: if you don't like detailed accounts of historical events you will find it drags a bit in places but I loved it.

The story is one of secret love and thwarted passion and unlike most romances I've read, our heroine is not stunningly beautiful, intelligent and a man-magnet - she's a normal everyday girl that we mere mortals can relate to.

I love love love this book!

I have read
Katy
Jun 08, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been more than a decade since I read this, and it and its sequel have stayed in my mind over the years. I was recently trying to identify the author online when I was away from my shelves, and discovered she'd written a third in the series which I never knew about, so of course I had to pick it up again. Thomazine Heron is orphaned at 10 years old and made a ward of her uncle Simon. She leaves her Oxford estate and goes to live with him and her 5 cousins in Suffolk. As she grows up, the En ...more
Lucy
Jun 18, 2013 Lucy rated it it was amazing
This was Pamela Belle's first novel, set in the years building up to the English Civil War and the early years of the conflict. She writes beautifully, in particular about Goldhayes and Ashcott - the two houses at the centre of the book - with a cast of interesting and likeable characters, particularly Francis Heron who bears more than a passing resemblance to many people's favourite hero, Dorothy Dunnett's Francis Crawford of Lymond. That is not to say that the first in this group of books abou ...more
Amy
Feb 06, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is among one of the best historical romance books I have ever come across. Sucks you in, you can literally see, smell & hear what you are reading because Pamela Belle has that rare gift of writing a really good story!
Evi
Aug 01, 2014 Evi rated it liked it
First book of a trilogy set in England in the 1600's. Thomazine and Francis are torn apart and she is forced to marry Dominic Drakelon. England's Civil War tears their world apart. Entertaining book, but nothing special.
Blake
Dec 15, 2013 Blake rated it it was amazing
Re read again. Maybe around 18 times. Before Georgette HeyerGeorgette Heyer, before Jude DeverauxJude Deveraux, I had this book and its' sequels. I loved in Francis and Thomazine"s love story and found a life long interest in Civil war era England. Spoiler alert: I always knew Kit was going to come to a bad end.
Julie
Oct 12, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok
ok read
Cynthia
Aug 30, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Fantastic two book read, loved following Heron family through their thrilling and exciting lives set in 17th century England. Thankfully when the book was completely devoured there was the sequel waiting on my shelf. Belle is a fabulous storyteller who has thoroughly researched this time period. Loved it!
Loz
Actually I didn't finish it, but I wouldn't put that down to poor quality, I'm not in a very 'read-y' mood unfortunately at the moment. I got half way, maybe I'll finish it off one day.
Denise
Oct 13, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
The first book of the Herron series. A nicely told English civil war story wrapped around grand old homes and their owners (one being the Herron family, obviously).
Sep 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorites. I have read it many times. I searched many used book stores for the sequel and other books written by this author.
Jan 02, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Misfit
Just arrived from New Zealand through BM. I will add the cover later on. A splendid and touching book, looking forward for its sequel. 4.5 stars.
Agnes
Aug 15, 2011 Agnes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, stuart
Hate it when the short synopsis on the back of books contain spoliers.....
Loved it! Looking forward to the rest of the Heron books!
June Eggers
Mar 04, 2011 June Eggers rated it it was amazing
One of the best romance novels I've ever read.
Emma
May 04, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it
Read it soooooo many times as a teen!
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Saoirse T. E. Sterling
Saoirse T. E. Sterling marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Amy Patton
Amy Patton marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Thinking
Thinking rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Jan 28, 2016
  • The Black Madonna (Civil War, #1)
  • Rebels and Traitors
  • The White Witch
  • Circle Of Pearls
  • Zemindar
  • Omamori
  • London in Chains: An English Civil War Novel (English Civil War, #1)
  • The Vizard Mask
  • Lily Cigar
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • Paint the Wind
  • The women of Eden (Eden #4)
  • Speak To Me Of Love
  • The Maiden and the Unicorn
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • Fires of Destiny
  • The Proud Breed
  • Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)
Belle, who also writes contemporary fiction as Alice Marlow, always wanted to be an author. As a child the books she read were adventure stories like "Treasure Island," "Swallows and Amazons," and the novels of John Buchan and CS Forester. She wrote her first book at the age of twelve and having visited the site of a lovely Elizabethan manor house called Rushbrooke and observing the bare, moated i ...more
More about Pamela Belle...

Heron (4 books)
  • The Chains of Fate (Heron, #2)
  • Alethea (Heron, #3)
  • The Lodestar (Heron, #4)