Start by marking “Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems” as Want to Read:
Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems

Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems

In this exquisite book, Alice Walker’s first new collection of poetry since 1991, are poems that reaffirm her as “one of the best American writers of today” (The Washington Post). The forces of nature and the strength of the human spirit inspire the poems in Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth. Alice Walker opens us to feeling and understanding, with poems that cov ...more
Published (first published 2003)

Carol
Jun 02, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alice-walker
Honest. Deeply introspective. Embracing all of life.

On Some Things to Enjoy About Aging--

Talking to myself:
Amusing company
For me &
My dog.

There is so much in this little book. Very powerful.
Also very cool is this book has her signature -- example http://www.tomfolio.com/autographimg....
Sara
Jun 11, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for Alice Walker’s writing began back in 1995 when I wrote about The Colour Purple as part of my dissertation. It remains one of my favourite books of all time. I came across this 2004 publication more recently. I was in the library, supposedly working on my own book, but instead I spent the morning devouring these poems.

I loved the whole book, but would particularly recommend: ‘Coming Back from Seeing Your People’; ‘What Will Save Us’; ‘Thanksgiving’; ‘(Yours and Mine) Is Obsolete’; and
Susan
our own."
Shannon
Apr 29, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-project
hey! my soul just healed!
Lauren Simcic
Oct 23, 2016 Lauren Simcic rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This was a good primer to her other work I have not yet read. The collection was a breeze to get through and covered family life, war, and her affection for other public figures like Maria Sabina and Che Guevara. I liked the flow of her writing and some of it was thought provoking. "My Mother Was So Wonderful," "Though We May Feel Alone," and "You Too Can Look, Smell, Dress, Act This Way" were my favorites from the collection. I tabbed them to revisit and share with others. Reading might make me ...more
Tianna
Dec 05, 2016 Tianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. Just Beautiful. Her words are so insightful.
Sue
Oct 11, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book of poems written by one of my favorite authors. She was inspired to write this collection after 9/11 and covers a myriad of "life topics". It's worth a read.
Molly
May 16, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
(1.5 / 5) "--if poems can actually be called writing... From that first volume [of my poetry] to this, what remains the same is the sense that, unlike 'writing,' poetry chooses when it will be expressed, and under what circumstances. Its requirements for existence remain mysterious. In its spontaneous, bare truthfulness, it bears a close relation to song and to prayer."

I wish I could properly unscrew my lens and read this book as I might have in middle or high school, where things such as form a
Taylor Quinn
Jul 13, 2014 Taylor Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Alice Walker for restoring my faith in just simply being. I couldn't have picked this up at a better time.

It is all

It is all
She know
Lauren
Sep 17, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my late teens, I found a poem of Alice Walker’s that resonated with me so strongly that I kept a copy of it on my wall for my entire four years of college.
Somehow, in the intervening years, my love of Alice Walker’s poetry slipped from my memory. Indeed, when I picked up this book at the library on a whim, I had totally forgotten that the poem I loved so much in college was even written by Ms. Walker.

It wasn’t until I started reading that I fell back in love with Ms. Walker’s lyrical, magical
AnandaTashie
Jan 04, 2013 AnandaTashie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2013
I'm a little mixed about this book.

I didn't care for the introduction. (Sorry, just can't get behind someone promoting mushrooms / etc, even for spiritual use. :D) I didn't like the composition of the poems at all.

As for the actual content, some felt like soap boxes, others were over-simple, and some were very moving.

Composition & line breaks aside, here are my favorites:

p 26, Despite / the hunger / we cannot / possess / more / than / this: / Peace / in a garden / of / our own.

p 78, ... T
Harry A
Jul 28, 2015 Harry A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are simple yet beautiful poems that express Walker's view clearly. Some of the poems I like best end in a different place than they seem to be going; others involve telling contrasts.

'Coming back from seeing your people', for example, starts with a contrast between the effects of seeing 'your people' and of supping with 'vampires'--but doesn't end with the simple preference for seeing your people, but ends instead with needing to 'learn To walk alone To hold The precious Silence To bring h
Olivia
Nov 15, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at 1am, after I could do homework no longer. I know this sounds melodramatic, but I was doubting the goodness of the earth. It's been a few days since the attack in Paris, in Beirut, in Baghdad, since the natural disasters around the wrold, since the hate at Mizzou became so public. I was just finishing up a project about hate against queer folks. I was consumed.

These poems are honest, and sometimes they talk about shitty things that happen in the world. But they also high
E
Dec 07, 2012 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Like Charles Baudelaire and Sandra Cisneros, Alice Walker is a brilliant writer who can't pull it off when it comes to poetry. Her line breaks are amateurishly arbitrary. And the beautiful balance between heavenly ideals and down-to-earth anguish that she mastered in The Color Purple is replaced here by a hit-you-over-the-head obsession with hippy dippy dogma about peace, meditation, and mushrooms.

Her 9/11 poems prove she's still as brilliant a thinker as ever, but as a whole this collection ap
S'hi
Jun 24, 2013 S'hi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, women, poetry
There is something simply powerful about Alice Walker’s poetry. The ordinariness of many of the scenes depicted, make them all the more powerful for their relevance, their ability to be experienced directly, even with the strangers who are her friends.

Then, there is the ordinary language that helps digest the inexplicable, the incomprehensible that would take the life out of us, kill our thinking, our feeling.

These poems resuscitate. They remind of the life that is still there, pulsed out moment
Ronald Wise
Aug 13, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of poetry which convincingly portrayed Walker as in a state of self-assured readiness to take on whatever her life had to offer. This book was published a year before her novel Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart, in which the female protagonist holds the same attitude. I found many of the poems to be inspirational toward maintaining a hopeful confidence in facing life's challenges. This book was added to my reading list, along with all her works, after reading her novel mentioned ab ...more
Aimee
Jul 22, 2014 Aimee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to love this collection more. There are individual poems I would definitely give 5 stars and are as lovely as a poem can be, but as a collection, it was so much the same. And while most poetry is personal, this is personal in a way that makes it hard for the reader to access at all. Oftentimes writers who've established a "name" can have a whole book built up around their musings--this is what this collection of poems feels like to me.
Clarissa
Jan 01, 2015 Clarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of poems; my favorite being "The Same As Gold".

Now that I

Like rain
Doris Raines
Mar 18, 2016 Doris Raines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doris-shelf
Hi. I. Really. Like. This. Alice. Walker. Quote. Trust. In. Goodness. Of. The. Earth. I. Agree. However. It. Is. Emotions. In. Throught. Just. Thinking. About. Writeing. Any. Book. At. The. Same. Thrill. How. Its. Going. To. Read. And. How. It. Is. Going. To. End. Great. Quote. Great. Book. I. Would. Recommend. It.
Melissa Mcdonald
Dec 06, 2012 Melissa Mcdonald marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Walker's poems have long been her warmest, least artful utterances, invoking the solidarity and the compassion she invites her readers to feel: this thick book of short-lined poems extends those goals, exploring and praising friendship, romantic love, home cooking, the peace movement, ancestors, ethnic diversity and particularly admirable strong women, among them the primatologist Jane Goodall.
Feb 06, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I read this when it came out, but for some reason I took it off the shelf again and am re-reading. It's poetry, and quick-read poetry at that, so it's like an interlude until I chose my next novel.

Feb 5: Not my favorite Walker book. Only two of the poems really stood out for me. The better of these was "Grace."
Steph
Jun 13, 2012 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this twice, to form a more sure impression as poetry often slips by when not spoken and savored. On my second reading I found more lines to love but also more I did not care to read again. Some of the themes (divorce, love, war) simply didn't resonate and others (sisters, elders, earth) seemed too familiar, as if I could read them before or again without noticing.
Kyla
Sep 08, 2015 Kyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Color Purple" has become one of my favorite books of all time, but I've never ventured into Walker's poetry before. I'm glad I chose this collection as my first foray. There is a grace in Walker's writing that flows seemingly without effort. Themes meander from the mystical to the mundane; all are tended to with care and love. A solid compilation.
Sydney Young
Feb 04, 2013 Sydney Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely, lovely book. I've always loved Alice Walker for "The Color Purple" and am glad to know what a poet she is.

More of my thoughts here -- http://sydsavvy.blogspot.com/2013/02/...
Kathleen O'Neal
I read this book of poetry as part of a project I undertook for an AP English class I took during my senior year of high school. While I did not find it as compelling as the fiction of Walker's that I have read, I nonetheless enjoyed it.
Maughn Gregory
Jun 13, 2013 Maughn Gregory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I love Alice Walker the poet for the way she speaks so directly about justice- and love-oriented connection to land, animals, cultures and individual human beings; but many of these poems were too sentimental and superficial to reach very deep.
Heather
Aug 17, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book of Walker's poems that I read and I really enjoyed it. The poetry was fairly straight-forward and honest, but I really appreciated her perspective on life, love, war, writing, etc.
Holly
Jun 24, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book of poems written out of feelings and thoughts the author experienced after the World Trade Center bombing. The other ongoing theme is strength in the human spirit as well as the humanity we share while we age both gracefully and without regret.
Nisha
Jul 30, 2007 Nisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great poems, walker seems to be so wholesome and good. thats the impression i got from her books. she does like to smokeand eat mushrooms to get divine experiences:) thats cool.
Kimberly Uhuru
Womanist and humanist in its sensibilities, it's a good book of poetry for when you want to be reminded of what sanity feels like.
  • Alice Walker: A Life
  • Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems
  • The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours: The Poetry of Jill Scott
  • Shake Loose My Skin: New and Selected Poems
  • If I Had My Life to Live Over I Would Pick More Daisies
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • What Are Big Girls Made Of?: Poems
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Undersong: Chosen Poems Old and New
  • Given Sugar, Given Salt
  • In Mad Love and War
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more
More about Alice Walker...