Reign in Hell

Reign in Hell (Vail/Stampler #3)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  34 reviews
William Diehl stunned readers with Primal Fear and Show of Evil, the national bestsellers featuring Chicago lawyer Martin Vail. Now, in his gripping new novel of suspense, Diehl enters uncharted territory, pushing Vail and the legal system he represents to the brink of destruction.

After an ultra-right-wing militia seizes truckloads of highly volatile weapons, the president...more
Published July 29th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published 1997)

Ashley
DAMN IT!!!

I really wanted this to be as good as the others, I just could not get the story it was WAY OVER THE TOP. (I enjoy comic books, and this was to over the top. Lol) well this was the end of the Martian Vail series. And I'm not happy but glad it's over I don't think I'd be to thrilled to read 1 more after that mess...
Seth
A novel that was memorable and unique enough that I have elected to read it for a second time almost four years later.

The main reason that I'm reading this book over again is because this book is not a "stand alone" story but rather the conclusion of a trilogy based around the charachters of Martin Vail and Aaron Stampler first introduced in what is usually reguarded as Diehl's best novel "Primal Fear"

This was the first book that I read in that series and it catapulted me to go back and read t...more
Jane
what can i say.... got to be one of the best authors around for crime
Randy Brush
Amazing
Kellylynn
Written in a similar way to Patterson, I think I like this better than Patterson. It is a good thriller. I rather liked the lawyer Martin Vail, I could understand him and his motives throughout the story. And this one seems to bring back a surprise, evil character from another in this series. So it is almost like there are 2 story lines converging into one. Definitely liked this and would potentially look for another in this series, if I ever make it through the stack in my library.
LJ
REIGN IN HELL (Susp-Martin Vail-Cont- Ex
Diehl, William - 3rd in series

From Fantastic Fiction: A top secret military convoy is hijacked in the Rocky Mountains. Thousands of innocent lives are threatened and the President of the USA must act. So he calls on the one man who has the bravado to stop the terrorists, Attorney General Martin Vail.

John Grisham meets Alister Maclaine. Excellent after Chapter 1.
Lyndel Gayle
boring the first time reader and yes igot bored and i know angering those who had read his works before because of the previews compliments that he had for his books..
ahm Overall a good effort..good enough, effort that I cannot recommend in good faith.
Loie
As a political intrigue, I found this book easy to follow and understand. It involves religious fanatics in Montana and RICO lawyer made assistant AG to bring them to justice. Before this can happen "war" is declared and another WACO occurs.
Dick Edwards
After reading "Primal Fear," this was a huge disappointment. Who wants to read about bigoted, Bible-thumping, armed militia blowing everything up and killing people from distances of 2000 yards? Not me! A generous 2 stars out of 10.
Erictseo
Literary equivalent of cheesy knuckles. Cheesy and hard to put down with no nutritional value.

Super lawyer fights christian militia groups to explosive finale. Good enough to not put down, but I would have preferred to not pick it up.
Celina
it was a disappointment after reading the first two books. it doesn't show off martin Vail's awesomeness, really. stupid president.

even Aaron Stampler's end wasn't exciting! uggh disappointed fan here. unfortunately Diehl is dead.
Rae
The third and last thriller involving the juvenile delinquent prosecuted in Primal Fear. This was not as fun as the first two, but it has lots of insight into fanatic religious-right groups who stockpile weapons.
Chuck
Martin Vail, the Illinois Attorney General is offered the position of
Asst. U.S. Attorney General to pursue a RICO case against the
leadership of the Sanctuary of the Lord, a violent militia group.
Ginny
While the "war" between militia and U.S. government may be hard to imagine, this book certainly lends plausibility to the extremes right wing nuts might go to in their "zeal".
Erik
This was a very good thriller (from the author of Primal Fear) about an apocolyptic militia and the government's efforts to bring them down. Highly recommended.
I'm a big fan of the series - this wasn't as great as the earlier books, but I still love the characters and I found this a realatively quick and quite enjoyable read.
Debbie
Not as enthusiastic about this one, I was disappointed in the plot that seemed stretched too far and too thin.
Will
Honestly, I only read his stuff because he lives here and He adds real people and places that I know to his fiction.
Rohit
Aug 12, 2011 Rohit added it
Did the abridged audio book - this is a fairly typical crime drama / mystery set in Montana and Chicago
Bill
I liked this, but not nearly as much as Primal Fear. Found it a bit too concentrated on these militia
Wendy
Third in a series that started with "Primal Fear" and then followed by "Show Of Evil".
Flyerbid
third one in the series. waste of time in mho. first two were classic.
Julie
Mostly good. Primal Fear is still the best of the trilogy.
Deborah
I'd give it some stars if I could remember reading it.
Bill Klanderman
On par with show of evil - maybe even a little better.
Michael Hyneman
Solid ending to the trilogy. A good thriller.
Anita Overgaard
Was disappointing as a sequel.
Andie
Disappointing after the other 2.
Nisha
  • Material Witness
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Fury (Frank Corso, #1)
  • The Last Innocent Man
  • The Vulture Fund
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter, #2)
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • McNally's Trial
  • Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1)
  • Critical Mass
  • Tapestry of Spies
  • The Witness (Badge of Honor, #4)
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • California Angel
  • Headwind
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • Angel Of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
William Diehl was an American novelist and photojournalist.

Diehl was fifty years old and already a successful photographer and journalist when he decided to begin a writing career. His first novel, Sharky's Machine, which became a movie by the same name was directed by and starred Burt Reynolds. Diehl saw the movie shot on location in and around his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia.

Following the succ...more
More about William Diehl...
Primal Fear Show of Evil 27 Thai Horse Eureka