Start by marking “My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,120 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Kate Bornstein brings theory down to Earth and provides a practical guide to living with or without a gender. The workbook includes quizzes and exercises that determine how much of a man or woman you are, and gives you the tools to reach whatever point you desire on the gender continuum. If you don't think you are transgendered when you sit down to read this book, you will ...more
Published December 18th 1997 by Routledge (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about My Gender Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Gender Workbook

David
A fairly charming tour through the world of no gender. This book is certainly not a complete or scholarly guide to ideas about gender, instead representing a single point of view told in a casual, magazine-like fashion, but it's rather pleasant point of view. Kate Bornstein, as she describes throughout the book, was born male and eventually transitioned to female and created an identity for herself as a transgender lesbian. Later one, her partner Catherine became David, isolating her from the le ...more
Kelsey
I'll start out this review by saying that this book would probably be a good book for someone who feels like they don't fit into either of the two traditional social genders. With that caveat, the book has some serious problems. Two in particular really stand out:

First, the theory of the book was awfully underdeveloped. The author's basic argument is:
1. Not everyone fits neatly into the traditional bi-polar gender theory. (or that the author didn't fit into it), therefore,
2. There is no such thi
Kelsey
Oct 30, 2007 Kelsey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminist newbies
This is so accessible for people who have very limited knowledge of gender dynamics as well as what being genderqueer really means. This was one of the first books I purchased in my college career and it helped to open my eyes. I don't know that I recommend it for the seasoned gender studies student, but for someone exploring themselves and others this is a great, and humorous way to do so.
Jamie
Q: GENDER:
Options: Male or Female
This question on demographic surveys has irritated me for as long as I can remember. Who cares? Why do you need to know? And shouldn't there be more options? How about, "Other"? Reluctantly I choose female. That is who I am biologically and what I look like. But my personality rarely matches the social expectations associated with that biology and appearance.

As a young child, I was very verbally advanced and never shy about expressing myself. I was also conside
This book was used as a text for a introductory course in Gender and Sexuality studies by a professor I was a teaching assistant for. I thought it was a great book that was highly accessible for students who were having their first ever experiences with gender studies and also for students who where more advanced in the field. It was thought provoking and fun to read which I think helped keep students engaged. It helped create some great discussion in tutorials.

Some students did seem to get conf
Kennedy
I've long considered myself "queer," but I'd never really consciously thought about or questioned my gender identity and presentation until I found myself in a long-term relationship with a genderqueer person. I picked up this book not only to better understand and support my partner at the time, but also to investigate my own gender identity and how I defined my personal "queerness" through my gender presentation and identity as well as through my romantic and sexual preferences. I worked dilig ...more
Jackson Radish
This is a great book for someone exploring their gender or trying to understand gender. I would definitely recommend it for teens.

One thing, though, I kind of think this book and Bornstein's other books create and support the narrative that cisgender folks use to justify their appropriation of trans identities. This really sucks and pretty much drives me crazy and sucks cause I do actually love Kate Bornstein--I just really hate the way that trans people's bodies and lives get used as a this exa
Jacken
Dec 03, 2007 Jacken rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone...
Shelves: queer
Exellent introduction to questioning/exploring your own assumptions and ideas about gender (your own/in relation to others/in abstract).. ever so slightly annoying style (i spose i just prefer dry theory or rousing rhetoric to chatty friendlyness), and the theoretical analysis should be supplemented with other ideas, but that's made up for with loads of other goodness in the form of people explaining their own experiences on the margins of gender, and the Kate Bornstein's inclusion of bits of hi ...more
Salome Wilde
A superb book of exercises and insights to challenge your gendered brain. Written with wit, insight, theoretical support and political zest, this book fuels rebellion in the best ways. Though a bit too repetitive and leading in places (let us come to our own conclusions), the zeal that inspired it remains a powerful force for degendering the world! Highly recommended, but perhaps wait for the next edition.
Amy P.
Let's make this clear, Kate Borenstein is a genius! I know this book should be informative on gender and the construction of gender, but I had a hard time staying engaged with this text. I'm sure if you're new to the whole world of gender this book is a great read. However, this book is fun, but not too serious of a read in my opinion.
Candice
My Gender Workbook is an excellent primer to understanding the fluidity of gender identity and expression. Filled with amusing, insightful anecdotes and activities, this book proves Bornstein's point of view over and over again: gender can be and is both complex and fun.
Lisa
Was a while ago that I read this, but it was very interesting at the time. There was a lot of quite clear information and thought-provoking material. It's one of the few books about Genderqueer and Trans issues that presents a viable middle-ground.
Leilani
This would be a rad book if I was just starting to think about gender, but I was a little bored reading it at this stage of my life. Hence, I am going to bring it to work for the kiddies to read. I hope they'll dig it.
Korri
a chatty, friendly guide to gender although alot of this was familiar to me, having attended a genderqueer/genderfuck-friendly women's university.
puck
it's been a long time since i read this all the way through, but i always find myself misquoting these bits, so i thought i'd stick them here:

"I've always wanted to be included. I've always been tempted to settle myself into one identity and say "Hey, now I'm one of you, now can I spend time with you?" I like companionship. I like hanging out with folks. I just don't want to lock myself into an identity in order to do it, and what I've done is move on when I no longer have any room to shift and
Sassafras Lowrey
MUST READ for anyone exploring gender. I have my first copy of this books with my pencil marked answers to most of the books questions, and exercises. My Gender Workbook truly helped me to discover my own identities way back when I was first exploring gender transgression. When I taught at Portland State University I utilized this book in my course on genderqueer/transgender experience. A classic, must read, and such an important text for the queer/trans/genderqueer cannon
Elizabeth
This book changed my life... twice. It is indeed a workbook, asking its reader for time, thought, writing, questioning and doing. I didn’t have to agree with Kate’s theory or politics to get something out of the experience. I only had to be willing to consider her many questions, and see where my own answers took me. And I absolutely adore that Kate is a warm, kind and loving guide on the journey.

(The above is my 2013 review, after reading cover to cover. I read the first half in Fall 2010 and w
Jaina Bee
Mar 19, 2010 Jaina Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humans
This is one of the most exciting, helpful, challenging, hilarious, moving, [insert enthusiastic adjective here:] books I've ever read of all time. Golly, I learned so much… about myself, the culture, humanity, and that Kate Bornstein is totally HOTTT. And smart.

Kate is able to wrangle big messy scary ideas, rumors, facts, experiences, gossip, and visions, percolate them in hir magnificent brain, then produce a written interpretation so clear and concise that you can't help but learn, be inspired
Eve Waterside
Really not into it to be honest, it bugged me because of the tone and some of the underlying assumptions in the questionnaire. In the end I only read to the end of the questionnaire, and skimmed through the rest and kept being met with stuff that just.... bugged me! The book just wasn't for me I guess. I have thought so extensively and stressfully and analytically about gender, and had my fair share of gender angst also, so for as much as I could find good theory I was also overwhelmed with unde ...more
Page
"Autobiographical theory"! I love that! I love genre hybrids, as anybody who knows me and pays attention to what I read (which, probably, constitutes a crowd of 2, tops) knows that. Anyway, this book blew my mind when I was 18 and I highly suggest it for anybody but especially gender essentialist. I even got this for my mom years ago. Bornstein is an amazing mind - she went to Brown and clearly not in a legacy kind of way - and she makes theory not only digestible but thoroughly entertaining.
James
By mimicking the format of a self-help book for a twelve-step program, Bornstein slyly challenges society's binary assumptions about gender. Through a series of quizzes, assignments, testimonies, and her own personal story, Bornstein elaborates the metaphoric aspects of gender, linking them to situations, roles, and relationships. We're reading this in my GLBT Lit class before we read Virginia Woolf's Orlando--I think it sets up the fluidity of identity well.
Mirrordance
I just couldn't find a reason to go on. Couldn't make any sense out of it. If anybody finds this book useful or even funny, they're welcome, I found it quite useless and mostly boring when not irritating.

I must add that I particularly appreciated other two titles from the same author on the same subject. Probably, as it is a workbook it's just that I already had absorbed and digested that part of the study course!
Claire
Borstein explains gender by metaphorically traveling with you to another continent of the gender concept completely, leaving you there, and daring you to attempt to find your way back to the way you originally conceptualized gender, if at all possible after the numerous stops and detours along the way. Make sense? Neither does most of her book. But it makes a good point in that gender is performative and dynamic.
Half way through this book my truth and hir truth became two valid but opposite truths. There was no reason to continue reading it. 'nuff said I fall into the binary system at the moment.

3 out of 5 because ze has hir opinion and isn't afraid to speak out. I like when someone is challenging me to think outside the box. But I probably will not buy new version because I come from somewhere else than ze.
Kalah
Kate Bornstein will crack you wide open, take you on a wild journey of self-discovery through some taboo territories and you'll have a blast in the process. This book will dramatically deepen understanding of your personal gender identity. Great for both shy folks and those of us who are ready to let our freak flags fly.
micha cardenas
What I learned from this book, "you can do it."

I love kate bornstein, she's an amazing writer, an anarchist but not an overly ideological one and she's openly someone willing to experiment with being, to really experiment in the deepest sense of the word. She is a huge inspiration to me.

Kevin
Okay, I didn't really read all of it, but I didn't really need to read all of it, okay? I like the way it lays out the basics in the beginning, but the constant questionnaires were tiresome. It's a workbook, I get it. And I'm glad this books exists. A great book for beginner gender questioners!
Emily
I saw Kate Bornstein speak a few years ago, and I was blown away-- she is awesome! This book is also a great and clever concept. However, I just could not get through it. Full review is here:
WonderGoon
This book is very interesting and is in many ways a manual for exploring whether or not you are transgendered. It doesn't give practical advice, like make-up tips, but it does help you to explore that side of you that you might be hiding from the world.
Em
The best point this book made was about how our identities and the dynamics with other people we have are not solid.
I also think that this is more of a 101 book than a book for those of us who have already thought and read a lot about gender.
  • GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
  • From the Inside Out: Radical Gender Transformation, FTM and Beyond
  • Undoing Gender
  • She's Not the Man I Married: My Life with a Transgender Husband
  • Take Me There: Trans and Genderqueer Erotica
Kate Bornstein is a Jewish-American author, playwright, performance artist, and gender theorist.
More about Kate Bornstein...
Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women and the Rest of Us Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws My New Gender Workbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving World Peace Through Gender Anarchy and Sex Positivity