Start by marking “The Power of Collective Wisdom: And the Trap of Collective Folly” as Want to Read:
The Power of Collective Wisdom: And the Trap of Collective Folly

The Power of Collective Wisdom: And the Trap of Collective Folly

Stories and historical examples throughout this work serve to illustrate how collective wisdom is emerging in a range of settings and how, if accessed, this collective knowing can create extraordinary results.
Published October 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Collective Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Collective Wisdom

Leland Beaumont
Dec 16, 2012 Leland Beaumont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hang together or hang separately!

What happens when a group faces a difficult problem? In some circumstances the group arrives at an extraordinary solution that was unknown to any individual at the start of the deliberations. In other cases the group settles on a decision that becomes tragic, even though many in the group thought better of it. What are the conditions that can allow a group to access their combined wisdom? How can we connect with each other and tap into our cocreative abilities?
Kim
May 26, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wonderful book. It's also oddly similar to my own book, Getting Messy. We must have been breathing the same molecules from the collective unconscious or something...

It's really great to read someone else write about this stuff though, and it makes me happy and excited that I'm in this field. I think the most interesting part of the book for me was learning about Jacob Needleman's belief that the group is the new "art form" of the future. I've always been most interested in the creative process o

Nancy
Jan 20, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in advance of a workshop I am attending knowing that this book informed the workshop presenter. Thought it would be good to learn more about the concept through reading. Learned lots and wish this book had been out when I took Community Work back in the 1980s.

I am in a bit of a lull at the moment in terms of collective action, but am feeling pulled back into the group effort. There is a concise and helpful This book at a glance section to start. I liked this line regarding the f
Roberta
Sep 20, 2014 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Shauna. Very profound. I can see many personal and wider ways to apply the principles in this book.

Still loving this book. Would love to discuss it with a group. Along with The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods.
Lisa
Oct 04, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't actually what I thought it was going to be, but it was good. I'm starting to lead a group that is wounded and fractured and was looking for some help. This was a good book and I liked it. I don't know that I got a ton of practical guidance, but I recommend it just from a philosophical standpoint.
Farheen
Farheen rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Ivy
Ivy rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2011
Free Polazzo
Free Polazzo rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Jan Höglund
Jan Höglund rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
David Hodgson
David Hodgson rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011
Mushin Schilling
Mushin Schilling rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Fabien
Fabien rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Lisa H Adams
Lisa H Adams rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2015
Machelle Ogle
Machelle Ogle rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2014
Nico Fuenzalida
Nico Fuenzalida rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
Brian Stanback
Brian Stanback rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
Dwane Kennedy
Dwane Kennedy rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Jeremy Bibaud
Jeremy Bibaud rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Jim Chaaban
Jim Chaaban rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Tom Ruugy
Tom Ruugy rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Fabio
Fabio rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Mak
Mak rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Susan Beaumont
Susan Beaumont rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
David Savage
David Savage rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Heidi Hass Gable
Heidi Hass Gable rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2009
Mab
Mab marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2009
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2011
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2010
Scott Hartman
Scott Hartman marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2012
Doukai
Doukai marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2012
Jen Mein
Jen Mein marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2012
Ramona
Ramona is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2012
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
BeyondDL
BeyondDL marked it as to-read
May 25, 2012
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012
Tom
Tom added it
Aug 27, 2012
Antoinette Klatzky
Antoinette Klatzky marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2012
Calvino
Calvino is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2012
Tarek
Tarek marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
Max
Max added it
Dec 06, 2013
Jane
Jane added it
Dec 18, 2012
Mark Borovitz
Mark Borovitz is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2012
Erica Mauter
Erica Mauter marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Ebraim Andrade
Ebraim Andrade marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Marijo Puleo
Marijo Puleo is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2013
Ryno
Ryno marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Maianne
Maianne is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015

“All learning arises through doing, but the most frequent problem is the “learning,” not the “doing.” Our organizations and societies are full of doing but deficient in learning. I believe there is no more telling indicator of the absence of collective wisdom than the inability to learn as we go. It is characterized by rigidness and dogma. It is characterized by low trust and the inability to talk about difficult subjects where people must recognize their shortfalls. It is characterized by maintaining a façade of confidence and competence that masks insecurity and fear of failure. Conversely, collective wisdom is most evident in quiet confidence that our “not knowing” is our strength, that the ability to ask deep questions is more important than offering superficial answers— and that imagination, commitment, patience and openness, and trust in one another will consistently trump IQ over the long haul.” 1 likes
“To be foolish is human, but the capacity to choose between acts leading to folly or to wisdom is a uniquely human gift.” 0 likes