Start by marking “The Power of Collective Wisdom: And the Trap of Collective Folly” as Want to Read:
The Power of Collective Wisdom: And the Trap of Collective Folly

The Power of Collective Wisdom: And the Trap of Collective Folly

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Stories and historical examples throughout this work serve to illustrate how collective wisdom is emerging in a range of settings and how, if accessed, this collective knowing can create extraordinary results.
Published October 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Collective Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Collective Wisdom

Nancy
I read this book in advance of a workshop I am attending knowing that this book informed the workshop presenter. Thought it would be good to learn more about the concept through reading. Learned lots and wish this book had been out when I took Community Work back in the 1980s.

I am in a bit of a lull at the moment in terms of collective action, but am feeling pulled back into the group effort. There is a concise and helpful This book at a glance section to start. I liked this line regarding the f
Kim

Wonderful book. It's also oddly similar to my own book, Getting Messy. We must have been breathing the same molecules from the collective unconscious or something...

It's really great to read someone else write about this stuff though, and it makes me happy and excited that I'm in this field. I think the most interesting part of the book for me was learning about Jacob Needleman's belief that the group is the new "art form" of the future. I've always been most interested in the creative process o

Leland Beaumont
Hang together or hang separately!

What happens when a group faces a difficult problem? In some circumstances the group arrives at an extraordinary solution that was unknown to any individual at the start of the deliberations. In other cases the group settles on a decision that becomes tragic, even though many in the group thought better of it. What are the conditions that can allow a group to access their combined wisdom? How can we connect with each other and tap into our cocreative abilities?
Roberta
Recommended by Shauna. Very profound. I can see many personal and wider ways to apply the principles in this book.

Still loving this book. Would love to discuss it with a group. Along with The Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods.
Thota
working together, we can achieve much more than working individually!
it is obvious, but why are we not doing it!

A good book that discusses this question
This is a good book for leaders who want to harness the collective wisdom from their groups!

we can't create collective wisdom. However, we can create breeding grounds for collective wisdom!
Mo El-Bishry
"Collective wisdom is about how we come to make sound judgments with others, touched by what is common and decent in all of us. It is an insight or action recognizing that what happens to one happens to all." page 18
Charlotte Fairchild
Charlotte Fairchild marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Becky Gerambia
Becky Gerambia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Rjackson
Rjackson marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Peter Sellars
Peter Sellars marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Kathleen Tighe-smith
Kathleen Tighe-smith marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Karen Dolecki
Karen Dolecki marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Shaikha Almuhareb
Shaikha Almuhareb marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Marie-alice Duchatellier
Marie-alice Duchatellier is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Sigrid Sexton
Sigrid Sexton marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Halvor Fjellstad
Halvor Fjellstad marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Stirring of Soul in the Workplace Daily Miracles: Stories and Practices of Humanity and Excellence in Health Care Bringing Your Soul to Work: An Everyday Practice Bringing Your Soul to Work: An Everyday Practice