The Death of an Ambitious Woman (Five Star Mystery Series)

The Death of an Ambitious Woman (Five Star Mystery)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Acting Police Chief Ruth Murphy of New Derby, a suburb of Boston, investigates the death of prominent businesswoman Tracey Kendall and finds not only a multitude of suspects but a danger to her chance at becoming Chief.
Published August 18th 2010 by Five Star

To ask other readers questions about The Death of an Ambitious Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of an Ambitious Woman

Suspense Magazine
It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a book as much as “The Death of an Ambitious Woman,” the debut mystery by Barbara Ross. It could be termed a police procedural, but with a twist. The opening scene in chapter one grabs the reader instantly, and Ross doesn’t let up until the very last scene in the book. In the process, she takes us on a hair-raising ride (both literally and figuratively).
Acting Police Chief Ruth Murphy is a shoe-in to be named the permanent chief in the small Massachusetts...more
Kay
Smooth, well-woven police story--and instead of the bull-headed police boss, there is an antagonistic ego-driven fool of a DA as the thorn in Chief Ruth's saddle--a woman becoming Chief of Police in a town outside Boston--sounds trite, but is not at all--it's fascinating. The tell-all at the end could have been a bit more polished, a bit leaner--there are aspects I still don't clearly get, but it is satisfying and the book is a really good read--seems a first in a series, but does not read like...more
Raquel
I don't normally read mysteries or crime stories but I really enjoyed this. Chief Ruth is a fabulous character--love reading about tough, smart women.

Local businesswoman Tracey Kendall dies in a car crash, and Chief Ruth Murphy is immediately suspicious. At the same time, a local car mechanic who regularly serviced her car disappears from town. Putting two and two together, Chief Ruth launches a full-scale investigation even though others would prefer she move on. But Ruth is drawn to the decea...more
Sean Cronin
Apr 20, 2011 Sean Cronin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: procedural mystery fans
Recommended to Sean by: met Barbara at authors conference
Good mystery book firmly in the "who-done-it" genre.
The protagonist is forty-ish police chief Ruth Murphy. He works in a small New England town.
A woman dies in a car crash. The crash looks suspicious. The victim was an ambitious woman, rising star in an investment firm.
As the procedural rolls, we find out more about the victim and a bunch of suspects appear. The writing moves us along; nothing cute or philosophical, no asides. It's a straight, cleanly told mystery.
I enjoyed it. I recommend it...more
Pat
I really enjoyed this novel - it had the authenticity of a police procedural but also a female protagonist who is tough but vulnerable to self-doubt and contending with the politics of a small town. The puzzle aspects were excellent - the characters were rounded enough to make the reader interested, but Ross never lost her focus on the case, the puzzle, and the unraveling of the clues.
Plainjane26
This was a short book, but it still took me some time to read it. The story could be greatly improved by explaining the characters a little more in depth and it would add length to the book. I would have loved to hear more about the bakc stories of Ruth, McGrath, and Moscone.

I can't wait to read more in the series, I just hope that the characters are better explained in the future.
Phillis
I think this was a very good effort for a first book (she has written short stories that were published). The only problem I had was tying in two characters together. Maybe I missed it when I was reading it, but I won't go on and have it be a spoiler, maybe next time the author will tie up the loose ends. I would read another book by this author.
Carla
I loved getting to know Acting Chief Ruth Murphy in this book - I'm looking forward to knowing her better in many future books! Great supporting characters, an interesting and sometimes confounding plot, and a comfortably brisk pace made this novel a fabulous read!
Kika
Great storyline with a twist.
Jason
Loved This Book! I hated D.A. Baines-but that's a sign of a well written book-cuz I REALLY hated that man. I Loved all the twists and turns and Ruth is a fabulous protagonist. Can't wait to read more in this series.
Leslie
A very quick and engaging read, so I was tempted to give it four stars, but the mystery wasn't really all that hard to solve, so if we had the options of half stars, I'd rate it 3.5.
Jen
I couldn't keep the characters straight, but on the plus side, I didn't figure out what happened before I read it.
Michelle
Book by a new author. Very quick read about a female chief of police solving a murder mystery.
PWRL
Sep 26, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Barbara Ross
Aug 24, 2014 Barbara Ross added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Mary Barker
Mary Barker marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Reine
Reine marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Shawn Simmons
Shawn Simmons marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Merrill
Merrill marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Debbie Carnes
Debbie Carnes marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Ross is the author of the Maine Clambake Mysteries from Kensington Publishing. The first book in the series, Clammed Up, was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best Contemporary Novel, the RT Book Reviews, Reviewer's Choice Best Book Award for Amateur Sleuth, and was a finalist for the Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction. Boiled Over was published in 2014 and Musseled Out is coming in Ma...more
More about Barbara Ross...
Clammed Up Boiled Over Best New England Crime Stories 2013: Blood Moon Best New England Crime Stories 2014: Stone Cold Best New England Crime Stories 2012: Dead Calm