Start by marking “The Law of Happiness: How Spiritual Wisdom and Modern Science Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Drawing from the latest scientific and psychological research on the quest for happiness, The Law of Happiness reveals that the spiritual truths of the Bible hold the secrets to the happiness we desire. As Dr. Cloud unpacks these universal, eternal principles, he reveals that true happiness is not about circumstances, physical health, financial success, or even about the p ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Howard Books (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Law of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Law of Happiness

Teresa
I am a spiritual person, but not a religious one. The subtitle of this book is what caught my eye, along with a recommendation from a friend who is going through some trials and tribulations in their life and who has gotten some help from this book. I do believe there is a gray area in some places that science and religion merge. There is definitely good advice and practices in this book. Mostly I like that we are in charge of our own happiness.
Gail Welborn
***Cloud reveals the close link between Scripture and science...***

In the “Law of Happiness” Dr. Cloud mixes scientific research with Scripture to define what happiness is and how it can be found. He was surprised to find while reading the new research on “positive psychology,” it felt like he was reading the Bible. It was like someone took the research data “…laid the Bible on top…” and they fit together almost like a hand in a glove.

That “perfect fit” made him feel as if he were on a “spiritu
Clare Cannon
Cloud combines good psychology with genuine spiritual values in this simple but wise book that could be helpful for anyone with goodwill (not only for Christians, though he does mention God). It is like Jacques Philippe's Called to Life for beginners, and deserves wider notice than I've seen it given so far.

He starts with the premise: 'We are wired to experience happiness, but we keep hitting the wrong buttons in our efforts to turn our happiness on.'(2) We look for more money, that special some
Shane
Jun 08, 2014 Shane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone dealing with depression or bitterness
I enjoyed Dr. Cloud's book "How to Get a Date Worth Keeping." I enjoy his straightforward and simple writing style. "The Law of Happiness" was recommended to me by a psychologist. Dr. Cloud does an excellent job showing how recent research in the positive psychology movement confirms the eternal truths of the Bible's prescriptions for happiness. It's a quick read, but contains profound bits that are helpful to meditate on.
Damara
Great wisdom

Another life-changing book for me. The basic spiritual wisdom, simple facts, and very applicable. I have several books from Cloud/Townsend resources....everyone of them have read at a point in my life when I needed wisdom. I apply to my personal and professional life, and share with others through mentoring and coaching. Thanks for great reads!
Clair
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. I absolutely loved this book, as the author said it is basically the law of attraction applied in a christian manner. This book can change your life if you let it. it is a definite read. I also have picked up some other books by Dr. Henry Cloud as a result of this book and I can't wait to read them. Funny thing is, I read the Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews right after this book and it was as if Andy Andrews took this book and turned it into a fictional story for his book. ...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it is amazing. Dr. Cloud's voice, rate & manner of speaking are so down to earth and relatable. He uses simple English that is easy to understand and uses The Bible to help make his points and his arguments. The theme of the book in a nutshell is that happiness for each of us comes from the relationships we have with others and not our circumstances or material possessions. A great listen or read that I highly recommend.
Karen Van Riesen
One of the most practical books out there on living a happy life. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who feels happiness is eluding them.
Matt Ohara
Very encouraging book. I love the way he related the wisdom of the Bible to modern beliefs.
Alishan
Happiness = Read Law of Hapinness (henry cloud)
Lorna
Doing a "solutions" class along with this book. Great advice if one chooses to follow it.
Liz Fischer
I liked this book a lot. Actually the first chapter "The Science of Happiness" was the most helpful to me. It revealed the way we often search for happiness that eludes us and why we do it. Then it gets into what makes for sustainable happiness. It's a bit physcological (written by a Christian psychologist), but very Biblically based as well, and very insightful.
Anastasia
This is an amazing and eye-opening book! If you've ever felt that there is something missing in your life, or wondered what the secret to true happiness is, then this is definitely the book for you! Every single person needs to read it, it has so many wonderful truths that will change the way you think forever.
Brandon Lamm

I found the research in the book along with the simple explanations to be very interesting and useful. As a Christian who has struggled with the concept and pursuit of happiness for years. I am very excited about implementing these ideas into my own life.
Rick Redner
Who doesn't want to experience happiness? How to achieve that might surprise you. This is easy to read book filled with proven paths and choices which lead to happiness. If you want to be happy reading this book is an important first step.
Adrena D.
The author gave practical biblical principles in our pursuit of happiness. You are brought to the conclusion that happiness is not about your circumstances or what you have, but who you are in God and what you believe about Him.
Michael
Jun 24, 2011 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
The book addresses a well-deserved topic. Takes a fresh look at some select scripture from a unique and also discusses clinical research on related topics. This has been an enjoyable and enlightening read.
Heather
Excellent. I learned a lot and I was reminded about things I forgot about. Excellllllent book for anyone. Cloud is a great Author. Easy fun read with lots of learning moments.
Heather
Stephanie Palmer
Oh my goodness, this book is AMAZING!! I smiled the whole time I read it, and agreed wholeheartedly with what the author was saying. It has been a good reminder of how to be happy!
Janae
I really enjoyed Dr. Cloud's down-to-earth voice, his ability to draw on the secular and the divine to drive home his points, and his use of stories to illustrate his points.
Tonia Hau
Quick read from a great author. A great guideline of healthy ways to approaching life which is proven by modern science and coincidentally the Bible. ;)
Janice
I listened to this one in the car, and found not much new, but some good reminders about the importance of goals, forgiveness, and attitude.
Michael
I would have rated it 5/5 if there was more scientific research explained, but the book is great just standing alone on spiritual insights.
Connie
Most of the laws of happiness were not surprising but still some good points anyway.
Angie
Simple, but brilliant truth about happiness and your role in obtaining it.
Tim Weidlich
Great insight into the merging of Scripture with Scientific research
Kari
This book does a nice job combining Christianity and science.
Paul
Positive Psychology made simple with a Christian Worldview
Stella
Linking Religon, with science. How cool is that?
Sarah Kortright
I found valuable, immediately applicable.
  • Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream
  • Off Balance: Getting Beyond the Work-Life Balance Myth to Personal and Professional Satisfaction
  • Who's Pushing Your Buttons?
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • The Secret to True Happiness: Enjoy Today, Embrace Tomorrow
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level
  • Vital Friends: The People You Can�t Afford to Live Without
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement
  • Anger: Handling a Powerful Emotion in a Healthy Way
  • Love and War: Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed Of
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Chat Love
  • Discover the Power Within You
  • Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Shakti Woman: Feeling Our Fire, Healing Our World
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
More about Henry Cloud...
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life Boundaries in Dating Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future